PDA

View Full Version : Idea for posting things

Matt9340
11-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Im not sure how hard this would be seeing as i dont know how complicated the code gets for the posting "screen" of the forums.

What would be nice would be a character count as you are posting things. I know i have found times when i go to post and its too big, then have to go back and cut and redo things. This occurs mostly with guides and other long posts. Its just something i though of thats not a crazy change the site thing just more of a helpful feature.

It wouldnt necessarily have to be a counter on the side with every character you type it increasing. Knowing some basic programming myself I know that would be insanly complicated to do. A small button on the side that would pop up a box with your total would be something along the lines i was thinking of. I know this would require some crafty coding to get it working right.

Just a small thing i though of the other day

Zef
11-19-2007, 06:19 PM
If you are writing a guide then do it in Microsoft Word before you post it ont the forums, then you get a built in word count without Routine needing to stay awake for two weeks and drink a pacific ocean of coffee.

Plus you get the added benefits of spell checker, saving the IQ of everyone.

Matt9340
11-19-2007, 06:40 PM
haha i know, but it was just a suggestion, because i know i happen to add things to my posts all the time and it winds up going over with like one sentence and it makes me mad

alpha305
11-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Good thought but maybe a little too much for the site. Maybe if you come up with a code they might value your idea more. I never really had a problem with going over the word count. Are you typing like 1 or 2 paragraphs or are you doing a whole college thesis on here?

Matt9340
11-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Zef- one more thing, I have on my computer an automatic spell checker for all of my windows online. So when I go type a post it automatically checks spelling. I think its with the new Office that it happens or the new version of FireFox.

lol its not just one or two paragraphs. What im doign is stuff for games (Lego Star Wars) and i just type it in here because im updating it as i go. and id like to know how much room i have left on the couple of posts. The computers im doing this on are really slow so its a pain having word open and copying back and forth.

Zef
11-20-2007, 11:58 AM
I have on my computer an automatic spell checker...

lol its not just one or two paragraphs. What im doign is stuff for games (Lego Star Wars) and i just type it in here because im updating it as i go. and id like to know how much room i have left on the couple of posts. The computers im doing this on are really slow so its a pain having word open and copying back and forth.

It musn't be a very good spell checker then...

If it were implemented how many people would actually use it? For short posts you have no real need to see how many characters/word/typos you have made and the majority of posts here that are long are written by people with an uncanny ability to spell correctly. So it would be a wasted effort when most people who will be writing extended blocks of text for the site will already have spell checkers and word counters in some form of software on their computer.

Matt9340
11-20-2007, 02:05 PM
lol, the computer i was on didn't have spell checker auto run on it like this one does. And i could of sworn i fixed that error cause i caught it myself. And i never put apostrophes in words. lol

but hey it was just an idea

Zef
11-20-2007, 05:31 PM
It's good that you want to contribute to the site, but most ideas will get scrutinised to the greatest level and only the super amazing shiny greatacular ideas get implemented.

Don't feel like you aren't allowed to post your ideas (unless someone already has).

Matt9340
11-20-2007, 05:49 PM
lol thanks. I completly understand that. I usually think of something in the middle of doing something, and im like that might work. and i post it. one of these days i might have a really good idea ;)