Price of games

antnie

I was thinking the other day why do games cost $60 if they don't have online play. I think that the only games that should cost $60 are the ones that you can play online. Games like King Kong and Assasians creed should cost $50. When i bought Crash of the Tiatns for $50 it wasn't a bad deal. That is just what i think.

Games were $50 for a very long time, so when they hopped to $60 it didn't bother me very much. Prices go up on everything sooner or later and I'm surprised that it didn't happen much earlier.

I know what you mean though. You're basically saying that games with less options/content should be priced accordingly. I can agree with that to an extent.

There was a price breakdown of games posted a while ago, it was semi interesting. Assassin's Creed is a high hype game, it should be priced as high as possible because people will buy it. It's the low end games that should be priced lower, especially movie games, because they tend to be slapped together for the sake of licensing. $40 for the Tetris Evolution game was ridiculous, I might pick it up for $20 but I will still feel ripped off.

lol low hype $20? $20 is clearance, where it costs the store more money to keep it on the shelves than to make a profit off the sale and they just want to cut losses. People still need to make money you know... Game price should be tied to production costs, the way it sorta is now. If the game truely is groundbreaking and sets a new standard, it would probably be worth $65 maybe $70 at the extreme. Publishers could only get away with this if developers shipped perfect games with no balancing, glitching, gameplay issues and concentrated soley on getting you to buy the next game because this one was so good.

Bah, stop complaining! In Sweden new games cost $90-$100!

It probably has something to do with economies of scale. English isn't the national language and Swedes probably don't make up a large portion of the global gaming market.

I am not saying that i will not buy Assasians creed but i think it should be cheaper.

Everyone would want to be paid to get games but even those people need to write reviews after they play and have to play crap games too. Think about the absolute most you would pay to buy the game, the difference between that and what you actually pay would be your consumer surplus so be happy (unless the amount you are willing to pay is lower than it's cost, then you can be sad that you were pushed out of the market).

There was a price breakdown of games posted a while ago, it was semi interesting. Assassin's Creed is a high hype game, it should be priced as high as possible because people will buy it. It's the low end games that should be priced lower, especially movie games, because they tend to be slapped together for the sake of licensing. $40 for the Tetris Evolution game was ridiculous, I might pick it up for $20 but I will still feel ripped off.

^^^You got it, Shinobi!

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45055

^^^My buddy Clipse and I have the info for ya.;)

I am not saying that i will not buy Assasians creed but i think it should be cheaper.

Why should it be? Prices are set by supply and demand - they sell the games for the price they think they can make the most money at. If they can get the highest profit at $60, why wouldn't they sell it at that price? If you were a stockholder of Microsoft or Ubisoft you'd be angry if they were making less money than they could just because game buyers thought the game "should" be cheaper.

$60 seems like a lot because we're used to paying less than that, if games used to go for $100, than you would be excited about only having to pay $60. Likewise if you had gotten all your other games for $5, a game that cost $20 would seem really expensive.

Since you say you're going to buy the game anyway, I'd say they got the price right - the highest price most people are willing to pay.