Fall update - Friends List

patches4711

I see with the new update you will be able to see other peoples friends lits. My initial reaction is that I do not like the idea. I can understand them wanting to make it easier to meet gamers, etc. but I think is a little to much. I was wondering how other people felt. It is not a big problem because they will allow you to block it if you like.

If there was an option to show/hide your friends list then I don't mind, it would just get blocked and that is that. But if there was no option then I see all sorts of problems, especially if Microsoft are trying to make Live child-friendly. What if some dodgy bloke gets a kid on his friends list and could then see all of their friends who are likely to be kids too?

Pretty crap idea and a waste of valuable space on my console.

Well considering that Microsoft put restrictions on it...

Everyone (only available to members 18 and older)

Friends only (available to members 13 and older)

Blocked (available to all members, and automatic for anyone under the age of 13)

I don't have a problem with it. Kids under 13 are automatically blocked, kids over the age of 13 have the option to let there friends see them, and then the adults have the option to let everyone see them...I don't see where the problem is? Myspace and other websites do the same thing, so why not our Xboxes?

This seems like an invasion of privacy...to me atleast.

At the very least...what's next, see what's on my friend's hard drive or read my friend's messages??

I see no reason for this at all, I don't care who is on my buddies friend list. Have people lost all social skills that they can't even make there own friends, besides I wouldn't recommend half the people on on my list anyway :eek:

You know who you are :p

I think it is good for people that want it. You can go on the xbox website and change it now so that no one has the chance to see it at all :)

It was just confirmed that the Fall Dashboard update will be released next Tuesday, December 4th. One of the new features that will be part of the release is ‘Friends of Friends.’ With this new features, you’ll be able to browse the friends list of anyone on your Xbox LIVE friends list and send anyone on your friends list a friends request. We’re also adding a ‘Friends List’ setting in the Dashboard* and on Xbox.com to allow you to control who can see your friends list.

-Everyone (only available to members 18 and older)

-Friends only (available to members 13 and older)

-Blocked (available to all members, and automatic for anyone under the age of 13)

It’s important to mention that when the dashboard update is released, the new default setting will be Everyone (assuming you are of age). For those members that not want to share their friend list, we’ve added a page on Xbox.com that is available today where you can modify this setting as you see fit. If you want to keep your friends list private, you can sign into Xbox.com now at www.xbox.com/fof and change the setting to Blocked (if you so desire.) This gives you a full week to decide which setting you would like for this new feature.

If you want to fully embrace the new feature, you don’t need to thing except wait for the update next week.

[Read the press release on Xbox.com]

That link only tells you what your options are, it doesn't let you change squat and there are no options on the existing website. Unless, of course, only those in America get a choice since noone else actually exists. So you can't change the options until after they force you to have it, why couldn't they just set the default option to blocked and then anyone could change it to everyone later on?

Also notice how their press release makes a stupid Sony-esque mistake:

you’ll be able to browse the friends list of anyone on your Xbox LIVE friends list and send anyone on your friends list a friends request

Should have proof read it for typos, it's not like they couldn't afford to get someone to do it.

one thing i could see this good for, even though i think they are adding clan support, is to help organize clans. you could make a silver account with all of the clan members on it, so you can keep track. i'm in a few clans, and i don't know half the members, cause they are lost on my list.