PDA

View Full Version : Banes? *Assignment spoiler, I guess*

Skinke
11-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Has anyone been able to get an assigment or some kind of closure regarding Banes?

For anyone who's interested, you first learn about him after returning to the Med bay on the Citadel after visiting your first main planet. Apparently he's blackmailing the dear doctor.

The doctor tells me to ask Captain Anderson, who tells me that he was found dead on a scout ship, but to ask Rear Admiral Kahoku (sp). Kahoku tells me that the ship was found in the same system as his scout troop was sent to. But I can't find the ship anywhere, and talking to Kahoku again, even after doing his assignment regarding his troops, hasn't produced anything interesting.

Is that really all there is to Banes, or has anyone had more luck than me? I was hoping for some sort of assignment where you learned he wasn't actually dead (which it really sounds like), and you hunt the bastard down.

Darth Odan
11-27-2007, 09:15 PM
I'm stuck with you man. Since the Admiral died, I haven't found anything else on Banes. I thought about asking Anderson again, but I'm at Feros at the moment.

Doc_Ezra
11-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Ditto. I can't seem to chase any other info on that plotline down. Has anybody that maybe accepted a certain shadowy dude's job offer maybe seen anything else on Banes? That's the only place I haven't looked yet, as I turned the offer down initially, and haven't gotten that far on my second playthrough.

avsfan21
11-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Anderson doesnt tell you anything after the Admiral died. He just says last time I saw him he was in the tower, even though he is dead. I guess I wont ever get that one done this playthrough.

Skinke
11-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Has anyone tried talking to Kahoku about Banes, doing a whole mission on a planet, and then coming back, without accepting the assignment regarding his troops? Maybe he'll have something interesting to say. If not, I'm gonna try it on my next playthrough. It might have been an oversight or something, since accepting his assignment makes him leave.

FreedomToastMan
11-28-2007, 12:26 PM
I think it ends up with you fighting cerberus anyways

Y2KFROST
11-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Correct, U kill Banes in "Cerberus" mission.

Skinke
11-29-2007, 08:59 AM

Can anyone confirm this? There was nothing to indicate that Banes had anything to do with Cerberus, and I don't recall seeing his name on any of the baddies. Not that I was looking, though.

Animagi
12-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Still looking for a little help on this one.

Blafwaffel
12-19-2007, 07:59 PM
I have tried talking with the admiral a few times. He just says that Banes is dead.

I wonder what the name is of the merc that wants to shoot a Cerberus docter. I havent found him in this playthrough yet. I think he might be called Banes but still have to check that out.

Checked it out, the mercs name is Corporal Toombs, not Banes. And the seach goes on.

NEO CRIMS0N
01-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Maybe "Banes" will have some sort of footing in the sequel? I think the Shadow Broker will also have some type of story relation for Mass Effect 2, since they both were hardly touched upon.

RavenBlackthorn
01-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Has anyone been able to get an assigment or some kind of closure regarding Banes?

For anyone who's interested, you first learn about him after returning to the Med bay on the Citadel after visiting your first main planet. Apparently he's blackmailing the dear doctor.

The doctor tells me to ask Captain Anderson, who tells me that he was found dead on a scout ship, but to ask Rear Admiral Kahoku (sp). Kahoku tells me that the ship was found in the same system as his scout troop was sent to. But I can't find the ship anywhere, and talking to Kahoku again, even after doing his assignment regarding his troops, hasn't produced anything interesting.

Is that really all there is to Banes, or has anyone had more luck than me? I was hoping for some sort of assignment where you learned he wasn't actually dead (which it really sounds like), and you hunt the bastard down.

I'm on my Insanity playthrough now (have hit every planet numerous times) and have yet to see closure on this storyline. Almost seems like it just drops off after delivering the medical shipment and threatening the blackmailer. You can still ask the merchant about Banes but aside from that it just seems to trail off. (I've tried a bunch of different dialog approaches as well) Shrug.

RavenBlackthorn
01-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Maybe "Banes" will have some sort of footing in the sequel? I think the Shadow Broker will also have some type of story relation for Mass Effect 2, since they both were hardly touched upon.

Yup yup. Good point. They almost seem to start the dialog then just drop it off abruptly. The shadowbroker is another good example. Anderson tells you to talk to the guy in the Financial District, you talk to him, he explains the Shadowbroker a little, and then later you can sell some info to the Shadowbroker but that's it.

Tom19
01-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Spoiler*** hes held captive by Biotic's on a ship thats floating in space. I cant remember the name of the system or the cluster, but thats where you will find him. He ever dies or lives, depends how you handle the situation onboard

Shinobi273
01-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Spoiler*** hes held captive by Biotic's on a ship thats floating in space. I cant remember the name of the system or the cluster, but thats where you will find him. He ever dies or lives, depends how you handle the situation onboard

That was Burns, not Banes... aboard the MSV Ontario in the Farinata System of the Hades Gamma Cluster.

Asian47
01-15-2008, 11:01 PM
I just realised something.

I remember watching my brother finishing the Cerebus side quest. Banes is the name of the guy who is holding the Cerebus doctor hostage at the end of the base.

I remember because my brother has the "Sole Survivor" as his mental profile and when Shepard walks through the door, he calls the man holding the gun Banes. He was apart of Shepard's squad when the Thresher Maw attacked, leaving only Sheperd "Alive."

I amaze myself sometimes. :woop:

Also.....

You don't kill Banes, if you sucessfully Charm/Intimidate him, everyone walks away alive. But if you can't Charm/Intimidate him, he kills the Doctor, then himself.

SouP x360a
01-16-2008, 03:45 AM
I just realised something.

I remember watching my brother finishing the Cerebus side quest. Banes is the name of the guy who is holding the Cerebus doctor hostage at the end of the base.

I remember because my brother has the "Sole Survivor" as his mental profile and when Shepard walks through the door, he calls the man holding the gun Banes. He was apart of Shepard's squad when the Thresher Maw attacked, leaving only Sheperd "Alive."

I amaze myself sometimes. :woop:

Also.....

You don't kill Banes, if you sucessfully Charm/Intimidate him, everyone walks away alive. But if you can't Charm/Intimidate him, he kills the Doctor, then himself.

Thats Corparal Toombs, not Banes

Asian47
01-16-2008, 04:32 AM

And now i feel like the biggest jackass on this forum. :ass

Thanks for shootin me down man. :rant:

mchannon37
01-16-2008, 03:45 PM
Not to worry, just edit your first post and no one will be the wiser, I think this whole Banes thing was just to annoy people, and keep discussions like this going on.

Tom19
01-16-2008, 08:58 PM
That was Burns, not Banes... aboard the MSV Ontario in the Farinata System of the Hades Gamma Cluster.

Ah my bad, thanks for putting it right though.

RavenBlackthorn
01-16-2008, 10:03 PM

I remember the exact spot you are referring to and I'm pretty sure its Tombs. I had fun with this dialog tree and tried a bunch of different choices. Pretty sure it was Tombs as well.

RavenBlackthorn
01-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Not to worry, just edit your first post and no one will be the wiser, I think this whole Banes thing was just to annoy people, and keep discussions like this going on.

I'm thinking that these were dialog trees and quests that just didnt make it into the final game. Some of the reviews talk about broken dialog trees that lead to no where and have a feeling that this is an example of what they were referring to.