PDA

View Full Version : So this is actually a remake? Not a sequel then?

Destro
05-06-2013, 04:13 PM
I played a bit the xbox game, tough it was decent and all but it was late, like very late in the xbox 360 era, around 2 years ago. So the graphics and the "no achievements" setting pretty much made me not do many hours on this game, especially since i have many xbox 360 games to complete but overalll i liked it, and i saw this one is a remake of it. Anybody can confirm? Like i mean is this a definite remake or just a graphic lif(a la doom 3 BFG)

So i could just not do the original on xbox and buy this one, as its not a sequel? Im a bit of a sucker for those classic type shooters a la doom and such, so im interested to pick this up, especially if there is MP

Nevander
05-06-2013, 04:24 PM
It's both.

However, not all original levels are present and many of them are being brought in via DLC (at least on the PC version). The levels which are there are being remade completely using the latest Unreal engine tech and the story is supposed to be taking place after the events of the first Painkiller and the expansion BooH.

It's like a re-imagining and remake combined. Definitely worth the purchase at the end of this month/early June.

As for MP, it has co-op and I'm not 100% positive about the way the versus works in this game but I know it has some form of it. Stupid MP achievements gave that away. :mad:

Azrael008uk
06-29-2013, 10:46 PM
It's also a very entertaining game to play.

Az

The Dauntless
06-29-2013, 11:15 PM
Its also a butchering of the first two games. What they have basically done is select a few levels from the first games and remix them. But they decided to put the levels in a COMPLETLEY random order. So any semblance of story is completely destroyed.

The FPS mechanics remain solid, but dated, however. Its also an extremely short game. Seems really odd to do a HD remake in this way...

Nevander
06-30-2013, 01:02 AM
Its also a butchering of the first two games. What they have basically done is select a few levels from the first games and remix them. But they decided to put the levels in a COMPLETLEY random order. So any semblance of story is completely destroyed.

The FPS mechanics remain solid, but dated, however. Its also an extremely short game. Seems really odd to do a HD remake in this way...

You are forgetting that there were about six horrible PK games before this one where it actually works and plays well. The PC version also has a lot of DLCs now for new levels that were missing (Bridge, Asylum, Military Base, etc.).

There isn't much in the way of story, never was. Not what Painkiller was built upon. Its point is to be a classic demon killing shooting spree. It is what it is.

Seems really odd to me for this game to even make it this far! I'm glad it did and I still support Nordic and Farm 51 100%.

Azrael008uk
06-30-2013, 02:33 PM
I never played the original but I played plenty games like the original.

This is really fun to play on the XBox.

I'd say it's more fun to play than the re-vampted "Doom 3".

Az

Nevander
06-30-2013, 04:12 PM
I never played the original but I played plenty games like the original.

This is really fun to play on the XBox.

I'd say it's more fun to play than the re-vampted "Doom 3".

Az

Good to hear and glad you're enjoying it. Wish I was. :(