PDA

View Full Version : guitar, expert, Green Grass and High Tides song wow

KiLL CraZy
12-03-2007, 09:40 PM
ok, wow, this song is pissing me off, im not a pro at expert but i can get by it, I beat all the songs, and this one song, Green Grass and High Tides, its the last one, i can get through more then half, but when it gets to the last solo part, i thing solo h 2 or something like that the notes become yellow, red, green, yellow, red green, for like a min straight and it freaking kills me. the hammer ons in this game are also weird compared to gh3 which i can't seem to perfect in rock band.

Now I was finally able to pass that part once using overdrive and then almost finish the song but then those damn notes came back being the fast orange, blue, yellow, orange blue yellow for another min... and I had no more overdrive.

this song is pissing me off lol

does anyone have any tips on how to master those 2 sections?

Spot2009
12-03-2007, 11:38 PM
For the first fast part (YRGRYRG), hit only the YRG notes. If your fingers are fast enough, attempt to hit the overdrive phrase on that section.

There's a second fast part (BYRYBYR), which can be passed w/ a little overdrive usage if you must, but use the same tip as above.

The final part of the solo (OBYOBY) I would recommend hitting every other phrase or hitting every two phrases. If you have trouble obtaining about 4 of the overdrive phrases that are from the 2nd section to this section, I can't help you on that except that you should concentrate on obtaining the overdrive, even if it means missing notes.

kojurama
12-04-2007, 01:17 AM
The reason the hammer on's are harder is because on gh3 you can just hold the button until it reaches the note while in rock you have to time it like in real life.

Rabid Piranha
12-05-2007, 03:58 PM
this song sucks balls because it's super easy and then they just kick you in the ass at the end(not to mention it's like a 10 minute song). I read this somewhere and did it and it helps, although not TOO much but does help but go to practice mode and practice 2i. Get to where you can nail that part pretty good and that way you don't have to waste your overdrive on it or the BYR part. Pretty much it's just hoarding the overdrive till the last possible minute

Toki Wauna Noki
12-05-2007, 03:58 PM
i8n rockband the hammer ons were made to be harder to play because if you use the rockbasnd guitar you can just use the solo buttons which makes it easier than GH2 or GH3 but if you use the GH3 guitar the hammerons are wierd because in a basic 3 note hammer on the first 2 notes are a hammeron and the last note must be strummed this happens in alot of songs in RB

TwistedFate
12-05-2007, 06:52 PM
The HO/PO's are harder because Harmonix made it that way on purpose. They wanted it to more closely represent having to play the music in time, not just "get close enough".

Feel My Rage
12-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Toki,whats up with you?The only positive thing I've seen from you all day is that your band has some good rankings on certain song.Everything else I've seen from you is just bitching this game out!

Toki Wauna Noki
12-05-2007, 09:51 PM
im not saying the game sucks its just that the guitar is easier but the big thing for the game is that the drums are fun

Feel My Rage
12-06-2007, 02:35 AM
Dude,the guitar is easier because its made by Harmonix,not Activision.Activision lives to make things difficult.I should know...I've played all the THPS games except for Proving Ground.Everything just gets increasingly harder.

And whoop-de-doo for the drums...I'm a guitar fan(sorry,I havn't played this yet,waiting for christmas)

willcrazyiii
12-07-2007, 04:08 AM
This is going to be the end of me.

Great song, hands down. Just... too much on Expert.

By the end of the godforsaken solo, I just don't have it in me to get all those pull-offs and hammer-ons, and I've failed this song nearly 10 times. That's insane, considering how ridiculously long this song is. I won't ever beat this one I think, it's much harder than anything on Guitar Hero possibly other than Jordan and TTFAF... I just can't beat it. It's incredibly easy but for the last minute, then I just can't bring myself to do it.

Spot2009
12-07-2007, 06:08 AM
The hammerons are not necessarily made harder, they were created equal to GH2's system, considering it is the same system except points are worth 25 instead of 50.

But at the end of the solo, just move your three fingers down so you use your index, mid, and ring finger. Also, just try to hit a few of the sequences and try to strum only at the orange notes.

IONz
12-07-2007, 09:14 AM
I finally beat this song a few hours ago and really all I did was move my 3 fingers(index, mid, and ring) like crazy as well as trying to strum the green and the yellow notes. I have no idea how many times I tried it but I somehow survived it this time :)

ASTROBL4ACK
12-07-2007, 11:49 AM
The solo buttons are your friend.

Chupathingy13
12-07-2007, 12:29 PM
The solo buttons are your friend.

But the stratocaster is not.

Feel My Rage
12-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Key word there Chupa...Solo buttons....opkay,key words.Still.You don't have to strum with those so it will help tremendously with that solo as far as i know

bakardi boy
12-08-2007, 03:53 AM
sorry guys i dont see whats so hard in this song. i fivestared it on my first try. the solo is not that hard. mabe its because i practiced freebird like a bitch on expert. i got 276,000. can someone xplain the solo buttons i dont understand them what is the differance between the old guitar and the solo buttons.

Feel My Rage
12-08-2007, 04:27 AM
Well,the solo buttons are obviously used for SOLOS.You can just press the solo buttons durring a solo to play the notes instead of strumming through the whole solo and all that.

Thats what the solo buttons are used for.

virulence
12-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Does anyone else find timing those solo HO/PO's to be nearly impossible using the Fender? I know it's much more strict than GH3 but I just can't seem to get any weaves to work whatsoever.

Feel My Rage
12-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Its because its just like on GH3 virulence.You have to hit the HO/PO at EXACTLY the right moment.It mimics a real quitar.In GH3 you just have to press the button before the note goes through the thing(dunno what its called or what to call it) that you have to use to time your strums and play the note right.Got it?

shiningcheese
12-09-2007, 10:45 PM
I beat the song first try on expert, but thats because Im sure its due to the fact that I played too much GH3 and the simplified solos in rock band are a breath of fresh air. I absolutely despise the rock band guitar because the buttons stick and the solo buttons are way too close together for my tastes. I just used the GH3 les paul and used three fingers. Thats the way unless u have the patience to f--k with the rock band solo buttons.

Rabid Piranha
12-11-2007, 03:31 AM
i just hate how the whole expert career is so easy (including this song) but they just couldn't resist a song with an 8 minute solo lol. is it just me or are the little rectangles harder to hit and pick out than the standard circles of guitar hero? i feel like im gonna go blind with em but when you play the drums, the rectangles are pure genious...i wish they would have implemented both.

ntsshap4@aol.com
12-11-2007, 04:47 AM
ok im sick of everyone saying how easy this game is, yes i beat it on expert on the first week too. but i truely feel its the equivlient to guitar hero 2. although GH2 probebly took us much longer to beat than rock band, our skill level wasn't as high also. since we're so much better since april, we're able to beat harder songs. AND DAMN AM I GOOD AT THIS GAME.

deathdealer21
01-01-2008, 11:17 PM
For the first fast part (YRGRYRG), hit only the YRG notes. If your fingers are fast enough, attempt to hit the overdrive phrase on that section.

There's a second fast part (BYRYBYR), which can be passed w/ a little overdrive usage if you must, but use the same tip as above.

The final part of the solo (OBYOBY) I would recommend hitting every other phrase or hitting every two phrases. If you have trouble obtaining about 4 of the overdrive phrases that are from the 2nd section to this section, I can't help you on that except that you should concentrate on obtaining the overdrive, even if it means missing notes.

GREAT advice. I failed this song at least 10-15 times before I read this, and passed the first time I tried using this idea. You won't fail either section if you only hit YRG and BYR and then you can save the overdrive for the last part of the solo that goes OBYOBY. Thanks for the advice!

aswipe21
01-02-2008, 06:20 AM
Yeah me and my buddy are struggling on those last couple of parts on the last solo too. Definitely gonna try the advice given by everyone but does anyone else know of anything to help us. Much appreciated.:)

n1n3t33nd3lta
01-02-2008, 06:29 AM
wow, If my whammy bar wasn't already broken, I'd break something else on the guitar. This song angers me, a lot.

Sprinkles
01-02-2008, 06:46 AM
Well I finally beat this song....as for tips I made it through the solo using the gh3 les paul controller and here is how I did it. Save your star power (overdrive) till the (YRGRY) repeating and use it at the last possible second. Next before the (BYRYB) part there is an overdrive notes. Whammy those notes and it will give you enough overdrive to activate it during the (BYRYB) repeating notes. After that just save up the overdrive until the galloping triplets (OBY) at the end of the song and once again use it at the last possible second to make it to the big rock ending. Hope this helps.

aswipe21
01-03-2008, 06:04 AM
alright thanx for tips even though that's gonna still be really hard.:) Anymore tips that could help us gain enought skill to finally beat it.lol

Chupathingy13
01-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Key word there Chupa...Solo buttons....opkay,key words.Still.You don't have to strum with those so it will help tremendously with that solo as far as i know

I have a 5-star on the les paul.

I can't even pass it with the strat.

killerharu45
01-05-2008, 08:08 AM
this song sucks balls because it's super easy and then they just kick you in the ass at the end(not to mention it's like a 10 minute song).

Uh, what about Freebird and One?

Hexrapper
01-05-2008, 11:24 AM
It isn't really right to call it super easy 'till the end, the first sequence of solos throw you for a loop and the second doesn't let up either. The hardest part is definitely the parts that are B-Y-R over and over, O-B-Y over and over, and G-R-Y-R-G-R-Y-R-G over and over, but the rest of it still isn't exactly a breeze.

I guess at least IMO, but I can't really see how people could see otherwise if they have trouble with those parts.

PanTh3r
01-05-2008, 02:00 PM
YouTube - xOUTI3REAKx - RockBand - Expert - Green Grass and High Tides

PanTh3r
01-05-2008, 02:04 PM
thats my run of GGaHT

OldWIKI TIK
01-05-2008, 04:54 PM
better than i can do so far.....i make it about 12% or so into second solo. Maybe 22.....either way i havent beaten it yet.

Chupathingy13
01-05-2008, 05:11 PM
IMO, the fast solo is a bit annoying. It's not like the chart is off, I think the chart's pretty accurate, but the hammer-on's start to get a little irritating. The slow solo is very fun to play.

aswipe21
01-05-2008, 05:20 PM
better than i can do so far.....i make it about 12% or so into second solo. Maybe 22.....either way i havent beaten it yet.

I feel ya man. I keep on gettin to the 3 color repeating parts and it just kills me even though i have some star power.lol

Chupathingy13
01-05-2008, 05:25 PM
even though i have some star power

Use it earlier. You really don't have to wait until you're blinking red. If you have a full bar of star power, it will last for longer than you think.

aswipe21
01-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Use it earlier. You really don't have to wait until you're blinking red. If you have a full bar of star power, it will last for longer than you think.
Alright that sounds like a must try. Thanx man.

TheOfficialKid
01-06-2008, 07:29 PM
this is the one song preventing me from beating expert solo tour:(

scuffdog65
01-07-2008, 03:30 PM
i had the same trouble but i just beat it this weekend. what i did was i only hit the top two notes. ex: dont hit the yellow notes at the end, only the orange and blue. it should be enough notes to hit to pass. i probably played it about 9 times straight, but getting all 4 of those achieves for beating the difficulties was really worth it.

Chupathingy13
01-07-2008, 06:18 PM
but getting all 4 of those achieves for beating the difficulties was really worth it.

damn straight :drunk

robbinz2121
01-17-2008, 10:01 PM
I can't stand this song!!

Dla911
01-17-2008, 10:19 PM
this is the one song preventing me from beating expert solo tour:(

haha, your not the only one, this one is a pain in my ass, 80% of the song befor i go down,

GW0LF
01-18-2008, 04:16 AM
I know how you fill!!!! I played this song OVER AND OVER at least like 15-20 times. BUT I FINNALY BEAT IT!!!! :woop:

Man I wanted to bash that Strat Gutiar in the ground when I beat that song but I didnt.... I bashed the Guitar Hero II one XD

robbinz2121
01-18-2008, 05:26 PM
I finally beat it. I ended up throwing my strat before i did and ended up using the GH2 guitar

Dizzy Domes
01-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Just got to the end of the guitar career on expert this weekend. First try I failed the song at 97%. I couldn't bring myself to try it again so I put in Mass Effect. Oh well, I'll give it another go today.

Falk3r
01-24-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm attempting this song until I can beat it today... I'll post my progress after each attempt.

# - Score% (Feeling)
1 - 68% (ambitious)
2 - 72% (encouraged)
3 - 67% (wondering)
4 - 84% (oh, that's the hard part)
5 - 79% (oh f*ck this sh*t, i hate this game)

aswipe21
01-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Yeah I've been trying it for awhile now. I got 88% on it last night hopefully I'll get better. I'm wondering if it is easier to use the stratocaster for the hard part in the solo. oh well.

Dizzy Domes
01-24-2008, 09:50 PM
I can get roughly 96-97%, but when I tried my Les Paul I got 85% before I failed. I can play the whole song without using overdrive up until those zigzag parts (I'm getting very close to being able to make it through those without overdrive). Then I can gain a little more overdrive but have to use it on the sets of 4. Then I can usually only get one more energy phrase before I hit the sets of 3, so I can't activate my overdrive. After reading about only hitting 3 of the 4 notes on the 4 sets I might be able to do it. THe only thing is once I've tried it 2-3 times I start doing worse because my hand gets tired and cramped.

Falk3r
01-25-2008, 12:20 AM
After a 10 hour break to recover my self-esteem, I'm going to try this again...

# - Score% (Feeling)
6 - 80% (oh here we go again)

Matrarch
01-25-2008, 12:30 AM
I've been stuck on this song for a week or so now. I finally was able to see the end of the second zig zag part. I think I got so excited I forgot to play and failed at 86% instead of my normal 85%. :/

The fact I can't pass this irritates me for two reasons. First, I want that achievement!! and second, I hate having the guitar mode always defaulting to GGaHT so I have to keep scrolling all over the list to play other songs. *grr*

ZServ
01-25-2008, 10:30 AM
My only tip is play different songs. this song is the only one keeping me from like 170 GS, but im not worried. just play the other songs, five star songs you havent yet. and use the solo frets. practice mode also, been like a month since i last tried, and my best in practice was 62% then, i just tried when i read this, got 78% on the solo. the problem is the lack of a click which you can get with the GH controllers, and it messes up your rhythm, however the solo buttons also give you an easier time and extra notes you wouldnt be able to pick and arent hammer ons. Just play and get better. Pick up GH2, same timing.

Feel My Rage
01-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Eh,my best run so far is 80%,I always get through the first solo with no use of or one use of Overdrive....everything after that just f**ks me up.....god i hate the second solo.....especially all the zigzaging notes....

I'd use the solo buttons,but im just not fast enough....DAMN YOU HAND OF MINE!!!!>.<

ZServ
01-26-2008, 08:16 AM
HELL YES. beat it today, and cried in joy. thank you panth3r for the vid. :D

Tall Latte
01-26-2008, 08:31 AM
That song caught me off guard. Besides some of the DLC, the rock band solo tour was fairly easy compared to GH in my opinion, until I reached this song. Took me a good few hours to do, but after it was complete I was very satisfied. :)

Congratulations on getting past that song, definitely a tough accomplishment.

aswipe21
01-27-2008, 06:21 AM
HELL YES. beat it today, and cried in joy. thank you panth3r for the vid. :D

Hey do you still have the link for this video by panther? It may help me beat GGAHT. You never know.

x23DrPepper23x
01-27-2008, 06:37 AM
if you can try playing gh3 or 2 and practice hyperspeed and then come back to rock band and it will be a piece of cake;)

Chupathingy13
01-27-2008, 05:06 PM
I've said it once, I'll say it again. The only way you're getting past it is with star power, or energy, or whatever the hell they call it in RB.

aswipe21
01-27-2008, 06:30 PM
if you can try playing gh3 or 2 and practice hyperspeed and then come back to rock band and it will be a piece of cake;)

Hey thanks man that sounds like a great idea. I'll try that.

Matrarch
01-29-2008, 12:40 AM
Wooooooohooooooo! I finally beat this on expert!! Lord of the Strings is definitely my proudest achievement thus far. :D

FalseHope4829
02-01-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm glad to see that i'm not the only one to see the insanity of this song. The whole expert career is a cake walk until the last solo of this song. I got to 95% and my fingers failed. I couldnt move them fast enough anymore. I was using my GH2 guitar, so maybe i'll try these solo buttons on my stratocaster. I'll get it eventually, the zig-zag HO/PO's kill me every time. Being awesome at HO/PO's in this game makes you a beast at GH3. I laughed my ass off at Cult of Personality. I personally recommend strumming for most of the HO/PO notes just to be sure, makes it slightly easier.

HoodMod
02-06-2008, 07:13 AM
Fuck This Arrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

.......:(

I can only get to 85 percent...

I know it may be frowned upon and I'm obviously gonna keep trying but I may have a friend beat this for me. I've spent so many hours of grinding on this and don't know if it will ever be possible for me.

Edit - Haha, I did it. :)

Chupathingy13
02-07-2008, 12:56 AM
Fuck This Arrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

.......:(

I can only get to 85 percent...

I know it may be frowned upon and I'm obviously gonna keep trying but I may have a friend beat this for me. I've spent so many hours of grinding on this and don't know if it will ever be possible for me.

again...

you have an-i-mal. You don't NEED to beat GG&HT for recognition around here. I don't think anyone will be frowning upon you.

OldWIKI TIK
02-07-2008, 12:59 AM
again...

you have an-i-mal. You don't NEED to beat GG&HT for recognition around here. I don't think anyone will be frowning upon you.

I am......:( see? but yet i need to finally pass it too.:p

xDetroitMetalx
02-07-2008, 04:45 AM

Practice this it really works! I was stuck on this song for three days because of the finger tap weave. If you just do the YRG notes and BYR notes then you should have enough overdrive for the super fast triplets to get you to the big ending.

HoodMod
02-07-2008, 04:48 AM
again...

I probably will have to pass it myself anyway, no one I know can.

punker
02-07-2008, 05:14 AM
I think 85 must be the magic number for this song. That's where I would always fail, and I have a few friends who always fail at 85% as well.

Don't even bother with hammering on/pulling off. Just fingerslide the whole thing. That's how I finally passed it.

In the YRGRYRG for example, just stick your index finger on the yellow, strum that and quickly slide it across the red and to the green. That extra red note in there after that will give you time to get your finger back to the yellow. Same concept for the BYRYBYR part. For the nightmare end part that is OBYOBY, make sure you have Overdrive, and do that same thing, but just hit every other three-note cluster. Should be enough to get you through and pass the song.

xDetroitMetalx
02-07-2008, 05:18 AM
I was trying finger slides at first but it was just too sloppy. I would just get lucky if I ever did pass the weaves. I also went to the GH3 guitar because Harmonix has never made a nice controller from what I've seen.

avengerRPM
02-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Ok, so after reading this ENTIRE thread, I think I will go back and keep attempting the solo only doing the mentioned strategy of certain notes from the solos slides.

My best ever is a 91%, and I am sure that the first time I see the big ending I am just going to sit down and watch the song end, I wont give a damn about those extra few points.

I just wish I could control my adrenaline, I always end up really shaky by about 70% of the way through the song, and it really throws me off.

moonieass13
02-07-2008, 08:01 PM
This song is seriously pissing me off, I spent a few hours last night getting all the songs done so I could have my expert guitar career done, and then I get to this song and get my ass kicked... does anyone else think its kinda cheap they make the rest of the expert career super easy up until this song?

but the same with everyone I fail in between 80-85%

Matrarch
02-07-2008, 08:44 PM
I know I mentioned this somewhere else, and I don't want to seem like I'm spamming, but I have a bad memory and can't recall where I mentioned it. ^^;;

I basically just play YRG and then skipped the R coming back up. So I played strum YRG (skip R) strum YRG and so on as opposed to attempting the zig zags. I managed to get through both zig zag sections without using Star power (or whatever they call it... energy... overdrive) but I did have to use it during the fast section of OBY notes at the very end.

Good luck to all of you that are trying to pass it. I know you all will. Hell, if I did it, it's just a matter of time before you all do and get fantastic scores at it. :)

Oh, and totally off topic question. Moonieass13, how did you wind up with the Gamerchick award thingamajigger? Not that I care much for awards or whatever (I much prefer participating to worrying about rewards) but, well, I'm a gamer chick, so shouldn't I get one? *scratches head*
^^

Dizzy Domes
02-07-2008, 09:29 PM
I know I mentioned this somewhere else, and I don't want to seem like I'm spamming, but I have a bad memory and can't recall where I mentioned it. ^^;;

I basically just play YRG and then skipped the R coming back up. So I played strum YRG (skip R) strum YRG and so on as opposed to attempting the zig zags. I managed to get through both zig zag sections without using Star power (or whatever they call it... energy... overdrive) but I did have to use it during the fast section of OBY notes at the very end.

Good luck to all of you that are trying to pass it. I know you all will. Hell, if I did it, it's just a matter of time before you all do and get fantastic scores at it. :)

Oh, and totally off topic question. Moonieass13, how did you wind up with the Gamerchick award thingamajigger? Not that I care much for awards or whatever (I much prefer participating to worrying about rewards) but, well, I'm a gamer chick, so shouldn't I get one? *scratches head*
^^

I'm going to try out those tips next time I try to beat it. And I think to get a gamer chick award you just have to PM a moderator about it. I could be wrong but iirc that is how it works.

moonieass13
02-08-2008, 01:47 AM
^^

Not sure lol, ask a moderator/ admin... I think I got mine when I posted in the "Introduce yourself" section :d

EDIT: I still suck, I am sick of this fucking game, I have played the damn some near 50 times and I cant get past 85%... fuck it I QUIT

Thanks for the weave tip, I am gunna try it now

Cheers

Silent Kitten
02-08-2008, 05:29 AM
Jesus H!!! I took me bout 7 tries and that shitty guitar to beat this song but I was flooded with relief when I did!!! Endless setlist...here I come!!

HoodMod
02-08-2008, 05:44 AM
^^^
Only 7 tries?

I hate you. :)

Matrarch
02-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Getting through the song after only 7 tries is pretty amazing. o_O

Thanks for the answers as to the award thing. I'm not going to bother bothering a mod, as they already seem to be quite busy keeping the boards clean, so awardless I shall go. ;)

moonieass13
02-08-2008, 02:36 PM
I think it took me 7 tries to even make it through the first solo

Matrarch
02-09-2008, 03:32 AM
So, I was in the car on the way home from dinner and my housemate suddenly bursts out laughing.

"What's so funny?" I ask.

He responds by simply turning up the radio.

They were playing GGaHT. I was so thankful I've between the song, I would've been mildly perturbed if it was following me outside of the Rock Band context. ;)

aswipe21
02-10-2008, 03:19 PM
So, I was in the car on the way home from dinner and my housemate suddenly bursts out laughing.

"What's so funny?" I ask.

He responds by simply turning up the radio.

They were playing GGaHT. I was so thankful I've between the song, I would've been mildly perturbed if it was following me outside of the Rock Band context. ;)

Yeah I've heard the original on the radio too and it isn't as good to me as the one on rock band. I dunno why.

Bodangles
02-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Alright ladies and gents, I think I have your cure for the OBY end part. It most likely requires Overdrive. Most likely, because I can't be sure if I am over-strumming. Anyways, although i have yet to pass it, I got 94 percent using this method in Practice. Oh and you must have Rock Band Solo Buttons.

Once you hit the OBYs, remove your right hand from the strummer, and immediately starting pushing to yellow. Move your left hand down and start pulling the same pattern, right after your right hand gets off the yellow. You're basically stroking the notes, although at supersonic speed. Once again, I can't say if I am overstrumming, but it was a 94 percent :o

Now to tackle those weavessssssssssssss!

Dizzy Domes
02-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Just letting everyone know, I FINALLY BEAT IT! I have never wailed on my guitar so hard on a big rock ending. That was one of the most satisfying *bloop* I've ever heard (achievement unlocked). I just got Platinum Artist this weekend then yesterday I was thinking about how I might be able to beat it on my own now and nailed it. I rock... so hard!

HoodMod
02-13-2008, 03:18 AM
^^^
I just did it too! I however, have a hilarious story on me beating it. Not that this was hilarious at the time, but the first time I beat it was in quick play. Infuriated, I rushed to the Solo career and beat it again first try. My run looks almost exactly like Panth3r's video top of the second page. I will also post some tips -

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/inkybowl/GGaHTAdvice-1.jpg

Hope this helps somebody.

OldWIKI TIK
02-13-2008, 03:23 AM
Question, did you use the RB guitar?

HoodMod
02-13-2008, 03:26 AM
Question, did you use the RB guitar?

Yes, I did, I currently don't have any GH's. I'm actually not sure if I'd prefer doing it on a GH controller because the RB ones are soo much better for sliding up and down, but its true that every time I actually started strumming on it, it felt like it was gonna break. I think I'd still recommend the RB guitar.

Matrarch
02-13-2008, 04:15 AM
THe tips you posted are the same ones I've been trying to articulate, HoodMod. Your pictures do a much better job illustrating the point than my words do. :D

Congrats Dizzy Domes and HoodMod. Enjoy that Lord of the Strings achievement. I know I do. ;)

HoodMod
02-13-2008, 04:18 AM
Ya but I know for sure that the tips on which buttons to hit really confuse me, images work better for a lot of people, the same way I can always do things better with video achievement guides then a block of text. And yes, I am enjoying that achievement, too bad GH Expert veterans make you feel bad whenever you start talking about the difficulty of the song. In my defense, this song is only about 700 notes short of the amount in TTFaF.

Matrarch
02-13-2008, 06:05 AM
I think the images thing is brilliant. ;)

Yeah, I'm not sure why GH veterans do that. I mean, I've played and just about beaten every expert track in all the guitar heros (I'm missing 3 in GH 3 and 1 in Rocks the 80s. GH 1 and 2 I've finished completely) and, while Rock Band is generally easier (and, in many ways because of that, more fun) than Guitar Hero, GGaHT sorta comes outta nowhere to be ridiculously difficult especially in the context of the rest of the game. No, it's not Jordan or TTFatF, but it's still a heck of an achievement to get through it!

FalseHope4829
02-13-2008, 08:25 AM
Wow I must be beast or something, I somehow managed to pull this off in 4 tries. The first time I got to 95% and stopped playing it for awhile then I was stuck at 85%. Lmfao then with my friend over I asked him if he wanted to see me tank the song and boom I did it. I only practiced it for 10 min and just that last solo. The key is definitely not to get overwhelmed when the barrage of notes slam you in the last solo. You should be able to 96-99% the whole song till you get to the zig-zags.

HoodMod
02-14-2008, 04:03 AM
^^^

Well you have GH3 :)

Bodangles
02-14-2008, 04:19 AM
I think the images thing is brilliant. ;)

Yeah, I'm not sure why GH veterans do that. I mean, I've played and just about beaten every expert track in all the guitar heros (I'm missing 3 in GH 3 and 1 in Rocks the 80s. GH 1 and 2 I've finished completely) and, while Rock Band is generally easier (and, in many ways because of that, more fun) than Guitar Hero, GGaHT sorta comes outta nowhere to be ridiculously difficult especially in the context of the rest of the game. No, it's not Jordan or TTFatF, but it's still a heck of an achievement to get through it!

Well TTFaF is a bonus song, as was Jordan, if I remember correctly. :(. Anyway, I hit the three YRG, BYR triplets everytime, and still I fail. I'm not sure what's up, but Birky recommended something to me that has potential-

Bar Green, theen all you have to do is a triangle formation with your 2nd and 3rd fingers. I almost did it in paractice, but I think too much. Oh and when I beat this song, EVERYBODY is going to know ;)

HoodMod
02-14-2008, 04:21 AM
I dunno how you could hit those triplets every time and still fail Dangle. You must really suck, lol. :)

OldWIKI TIK
02-14-2008, 04:23 AM
Well TTFaF is a bonus song, as was Jordan, if I remember correctly. :(. Anyway, I hit the three YRG, BYR triplets everytime, and still I fail. I'm not sure what's up, but Birky recommended something to me that has potential-

Bar Green, theen all you have to do is a triangle formation with your 2nd and 3rd fingers. I almost did it in paractice, but I think too much. Oh and when I beat this song, EVERYBODY is going to know ;)

I just beat it playing bass and vocals and wanted to scream it to the world, then after that, I wanted FOX news to run it on the bottom of the screen.:woop:

HoodMod
02-14-2008, 04:27 AM
The bass is sooo much easier in this song.

OldWIKI TIK
02-14-2008, 04:35 AM
The bass is sooo much easier in this song.

I know, but not when your trying to sing at the same time. Plus im not anywhere near guitar god status.:p

xsk8kydx
02-23-2008, 04:45 AM
Hope this helps,

I just beat it using the fender srat,using the solo buttons make it very ez and for the last part OBY repeating i turned my guitar around really fast like i was a lefty and used only my index finger and swiped it down those 3 notes. If u understand what i mean then you'll do fine. I got 100% on that part using that teqhnique

xsk8kydx
02-23-2008, 04:57 AM
Also, if your strat doesnt work that well use ur gh guitar and before the hard parts o the solo start yank the cord out and change it then hit continue missing only a couple notes

Bodangles
02-23-2008, 03:24 PM
I FINALLY BEAT THIS GOD DAMN SONG!!!

Just to elaborate on what i did, for those of you who think the will actually learn something...I saved my star power until the huge note section after the first series of "quartets". That section you can mash through with ROBYRG, GRYBO, GRYBO, OBYRG, OBYRG, RGRG. Then follows more "quartets" up until the triplets. YOU HAVE TO PRACTICE THE QUARTETS UNTIL YOU HIT EVERY SINGLE ONE! At the triplets, you need to hit two series of them, and let one pass. Two series, let one pass. MAKE SURE YOU HIT STAR POWER! If you hit every star power overlap, you will get to the end of the triplets still with star power. YAYAYAYAYYYAYAYY! I BEATZ TEH s0NG!

Oh and 999th post ;)

Mike255
02-23-2008, 03:54 PM
I got 96% on solo 2 the other day...

aswipe21
02-23-2008, 04:11 PM
I still haven't beat this stupid song. I'm trying to get really good with the solo buttons on the stratocaster but it's gonna take some work.

OldWIKI TIK
03-03-2008, 09:21 PM
goddam it! Song is really frustrating. I have made it to 92% once and 91 a bunch of times i just can't seem to get it. I make it through the first set of trills YRBRY.... but have to OD for the next set. Then what should be relatively easy, the OBYR i fail. Grrrrrrrrr.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Matrarch
03-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Best I can suggest is to try not to hit everything in the OBYR passages. Just do OBY and try to do the whole set only when there's energy to be had. Otherwise, just keep plugging away. You'll pass it eventually and then you'll never have to play it again. :)

SaCkaveli20
03-04-2008, 12:12 AM
One of the best songs i've ever heard on a music game.
How did GHIII miss this??

Tubson57
03-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Im not amazing at this game or GH but im solid enough to beat expert on both. I know it is the hardest song in the game, but if you are good on expert with GH then it shouldnt be too much of a problem. I got past this song on my second try at it after I got a feel for what the solo consisted of. Just collect as much star power as you can and use it at the last moment and you should be good to go.

HoodMod
03-04-2008, 12:35 AM
goddam it! Song is really frustrating. I have made it to 92% once and 91 a bunch of times i just can't seem to get it. I make it through the first set of trills YRBRY.... but have to OD for the next set. Then what should be relatively easy, the OBYR i fail. Grrrrrrrrr.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

You beat Jordan. :confused:

OldWIKI TIK
03-04-2008, 12:37 AM
You beat Jordan. :confused:
I told you about jordan...... 2 straight weeks of practice. NO other songs and a pretty lucky run. Besides, i still think it is easier to tap on GH2 and 3 than Rock Band because of the random strum notes at the end of a HO/PO section. I feel that they designed the note charts to go with the strat where you don't have a problem with things like that.

HoodMod
03-04-2008, 12:40 AM
I told you about jordan...... 2 straight weeks of practice. NO other songs and a pretty lucky run. Besides, i still think it is easier to tap on GH2 and 3 than Rock Band because of the random strum notes at the end of a HO/PO section. I feel that they designed the note charts to go with the strat where you don't have a problem with things like that.

I know what you're saying with the practice. I still find it surprising. And it's just as true with this song just practice a lot and you'll get it.

iRKOu
03-26-2008, 07:21 PM
god dam i seriously hate Harmonix or who ever put this song here.... its HORRIBLE.....i dont know how you guys are able to pass it..... god i just officially hate Outlaw for making this **** song........ *had to vent out...*

anyway i just cant hit the snake either.. im doing what you guys been saying by just hitting (Y, R, G) but i hit the yellow but it wont hammer on to the red.. even if i strum it wont.. WTF... im stuck at 80% and i know theres more snake coming so wtf.... god i HATE THIS SONG.. its worse than raining blood

marlo2123
03-26-2008, 10:44 PM
I HATE THIS SONG! well i like the song its a good song but i hate how i cant beat it!
this is the only song i have to beat on guitar expert and i always, and i mean ALWAYS! lose at 80% never lower or higher

Oldeez
03-26-2008, 10:52 PM

omg thank you 4 this tip....except i just did GRY but anyways...im doing it in practice rite now and its working so hopefully i will finally be able to beat this dam song

DL6 general
03-27-2008, 03:15 AM
I only failed once on this song because it caught me off guard. Playing expert on rock band MUCH easier than guitar hero, so I did not expect solo #2 to be so hard compared to all the other songs.

nt5328
03-27-2008, 05:08 AM
i just beat this song on monday. it is hard. what i did was i held out in the GRYR section for as long as i could without overdive. then used it. once they ended i hit the next overdrive, during this phrase strum once per note to keep from losing power. then i hit the held note overdrive phrases, the key is to strum at least once during the held notes overdrive phases after the GRYR notes. if you held out long enough and strummed the overdrive should last most of the way through the BYRY. try to hit the OBYR notes for he overdrive. then once again hold out through the OBYB notesfor as long as possible then use it. the rest isnt too har. it still may take you a few trys, so good luck.

aswipe21
04-17-2008, 07:46 AM
Thank God I finally beat this damn song!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it but somehow I was hitting notes that I never did before. It was also the first try on the song of the day for me. I really didn't practice GGHT that much, I just played the songs I didn't 5 star the first time through and tried to 5 star them. It actually made me better.

Matrarch
04-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Congrats. :)

I tried GGaHT again last night and actually made it through both zig zag portions without even remotely needing OD... Then failed at 91% because I wondered how far I could get without OD. :P It's nice to see improvement, heheh. :)

fletcher2989
04-17-2008, 02:14 PM
the things that sucks about this song is that it's sooooo long and if you mess up at like 85% and loose you have to do it all over again

BeardedApple
04-17-2008, 02:28 PM
I passed it by doing brr brr brr brr and it saved me quite some preformance loss.

And I still 4*ed it.

aswipe21
04-17-2008, 05:54 PM
I passed it by doing brr brr brr brr and it saved me quite some preformance loss.

And I still 4*ed it.

Yeah I think I 4 starred it too. Actually now that I think about it, pretty much if you beat the song on expert your more than likely gonna at least 4 star it.lol

BeardedApple
04-17-2008, 05:58 PM
For some reason I just tried it again and I SUCK..I think I spent too much time Drumming and playing Halo3. :(

aswipe21
04-18-2008, 08:05 AM
For some reason I just tried it again and I SUCK..I think I spent too much time Drumming and playing Halo3. :(

Yeah I've had that happen to me plenty of times too.

egyhustla971
04-20-2008, 03:38 AM
Took me 5 tries but I beat it. Failed at 85% 3 times, and the fourth time was really annoying, 96%. But anyway, you just gotta save the overdrive until you're in really deep red (I was near the end of the G-R-Y zig-zag phase), after that hit the easy overdrive phase before the Y-R-B and you should still be in overdrive through most of the zig-zag. Then just hit 2 overdrive phases before Y-B-O and use it when you're about to fail. This was the only song I failed in the whole tour. Rock Band's so much easier than Guitar Hero.

AndyBezza
05-25-2008, 09:51 PM
finally passed the thing after failing at 95/96% no less than 15 times =p tbh, unless ur confidently hittin all the notes, its down 2 ur star power timing, or whatever they call it in RB. i charged it full until the second actual continuous snakey bit thing rather than the seperate diagonal lines, n on them bits i just did hammer-ons from yellow inwards each time rather than tryin 2 hit 'em all. then on the diagonals with 4 buttons inwards, for some weird reason, it helps to sing the tune? helped me anyway haha, then star power again on the very last diagonals when u get into the 3 note bits, n just strum like crazy, shud get it. i used the GH2 controller [possibly x-plorer? the white one..] n didnt use the whammy at all, apologies for the lack of proper terminology, i dont play guitar =p mesage me if u need anythin explainin better or anythin

GT: AndyBezza

lordponcho
05-26-2008, 12:03 AM
First couple of times I got to 85% and died :(

Tried practising a few times, and worked on finger tapping the hard fast parts (two hand style like Eddie Van Halen), and got to the 92% mark before booching. Even though I was 100%ing the parts that go O->B->Y->R in practice, I couldn't get the rhythm back in the whole song :(

But my fingers were sore from playing through so much, so I'm going to try tomorrow morning after a sleep.

I wish myself luck!

UndrGrndX
05-26-2008, 07:49 AM
Damn i failed this song at 95%

lordponcho
05-26-2008, 10:27 AM
I DID IT! *puts on happy face*

I wish GH2 had solo frets... finger tapping the four notes really helped.

Spitflare
05-26-2008, 12:14 PM
I Didn't Find This Song All That Hard TBH.
Took Me 3 Tries, Same As Freebird On Number 2.
When You Get The GRYRG Try To Strum It If You're Using A GH Controller, The HO's Don't Work Too Well.
The GRYGRY Should Be HO'd It's Not That Hard Just A Bit Fast.

aswipe21
05-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Damn i failed this song at 95%

Man that sucks, that's on the galloping triplets part. Best thing to do is if you have overdrive to use it and then just hit every other triplet.

edd__
05-28-2008, 10:50 PM
I feel like stabbing someone this song is so aggrevating. Played it so many times. Did just solo 2 in practise for ages, probably an hour non-stop, and was getting about 85-90% pretty solidly. Try it in the song and fail every single time. Gunna try the methods suggested tomorrow, but i had to stop myself because i got so pissed off and had to really hold myself back from throwing and smashing stuff in the room, and ended up hyperventilating and having to lie down in the darkness for a while or i would've passed out.

not good :(
i fucking hate it, can't understand how i can get so close and fuck it up every time. Wish you save your progress at certain points in the song, and just be able to play the Solo 2H-M over and over until you do it, rather than having to start the whole song again. so tedious :|

Blue Radium
05-30-2008, 10:32 PM
You just about have to go down to the small buttons on the Rock Band guitar for this part. If you have a Guitar Hero guitar, work through it I guess. It took me about 5 tries, but I have finished the song. Just finger tap your way through. OH, and, there is a part just like the green, red, yellow, red, repeat, but it is red, yellow, blue, red, repeat. It is a bit longer. After that, there are 4 in a row notes, rapid orange, blue, yellow, red, repeat. There are a lot of those, but the part you are stuck on is harder. Oh, and the hardest part of the song, a really really long streak of orange blue yellow repeat in very quick succession (longer then any other repeating part of the song) is much harder then the part you are currently on, so practice up.

Superacdcfan
05-31-2008, 01:08 PM
I seem to fail at 80% using no star power...=(
I am trying to get past the GRYRG part which I can almost do. However I played the whole song 65-70% using the GH controller and then switching at the GRYRG part to the rock band controller bottom frets. I can almost get it with those. I like how you don't need to strum but...when i hit too many notes it makes my rock meter go to red?!? I have practiced it countless times (okay maybe just 3 times). Also I beat Free Bird (expert) first try, shouldn't this be a cake walk for me?!? Well I have an idea please FR and message me some tips. Also I could let someone I trust recover my GT and beat it for me...Just FR me.

UndrGrndX
05-31-2008, 10:11 PM
Man that sucks, that's on the galloping triplets part. Best thing to do is if you have overdrive to use it and then just hit every other triplet.

i think by that time i dont have any overdrive left

AFROxMANN
05-31-2008, 10:30 PM
Uh, what about Freebird and One?

those are not on rockband, ... silly

antnie
05-31-2008, 10:31 PM
I like this song a lot, but the Rock Band creatures made it way to hard.

Mad World
05-31-2008, 10:58 PM
theres this part about 15 seconds before the final O-B-Y part where its just a massive amounts of notes in about 3 seconds

i usually have overdrive there, but i activate it at the beginning yet still lose

im getting depressed-i must have played the damn song 15 times

Nightdragon
05-31-2008, 11:18 PM
I like this song a lot, but the Rock Band creatures made it way to hard.

Lol creatures :P

Anyway, FINALLY passed this today!!!

The only way I could do it was with the rock band controller, as the solo bit destroyed me on my normal guitar hero controller. With the RB one i didnt have to strum during the solo.

Heres the tapping method i used, recorded it just for my amusement :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W8Nj5YWYMw

drdreminem
06-01-2008, 01:30 AM
This pissed me off as well here is what I did.
Try to save all your overdrive until the part YRGRYRGRYRG
When it gets to that part slide your fingers down to the solo buttons (if you haven't already) and (heres where it gets a bit tricky...)
Hold down green with pointer finger. This finger will not let go for the entire section. Use your middle to tap the reds. I would suggest just doing the reds in practice modes if it is still hard. Then after every 2 hits of the red use your right hand and tap the yellow. I know it's kind of hard to visualize. If you are good enough you may not have to use this overdrive and save it for the very last part OBYOBYOBY. Hope this helps!

Gun-Nut
06-01-2008, 01:43 AM
This is the only song stopping me from finishing off Expert :( well I guess it is for most in this thread.

Although I have not tried using the Rock Band Solo Buttons since I just don't like them but I guess I'll have to give that a quick try out later and see if I can get past 85% :)

edd__
06-01-2008, 12:48 PM
This pissed me off as well here is what I did.
Try to save all your overdrive until the part YRGRYRGRYRG
When it gets to that part slide your fingers down to the solo buttons (if you haven't already) and (heres where it gets a bit tricky...)
Hold down green with pointer finger. This finger will not let go for the entire section. Use your middle to tap the reds. I would suggest just doing the reds in practice modes if it is still hard. Then after every 2 hits of the red use your right hand and tap the yellow. I know it's kind of hard to visualize. If you are good enough you may not have to use this overdrive and save it for the very last part OBYOBYOBY. Hope this helps!
man these seems like a good idea, will give this a go later. Never thought of just holding the green down, but it makes good sense to do so.

I got past the GRYR section yesterday, but got overexcited and failed on the RYBY bit xD

iNSANiTY
06-01-2008, 03:04 PM
I got to 80% then failed on expert. Wow , I wasted my overdrive though. I need to save it for the last solo to try and make it last.

Nightdragon
06-01-2008, 03:19 PM
man these seems like a good idea, will give this a go later. Never thought of just holding the green down, but it makes good sense to do so.

I got past the GRYR section yesterday, but got overexcited and failed on the RYBY bit xD

If you watch the vid i posted its pretty much the same method.

Hold the green, fast tap the red and slow tap the yellow. Then move it along one note for the second section.

When it gets to OBYOBYOBY you can hold the yellow, and alternatively tap the orange and blue. Once you get the timing right its easier than you'd think!!

edd__
06-01-2008, 03:59 PM
I couldn't see it properly in your vid ND, i thought you were just doing the RYR's and missing out the greens.
But yeah, definitely works amazing. Just played it a few times, and blitzed through those bits no problem, can get through the whole song without using Overdrive. Had to walk away from it though, cos after a couple of times failing at 96-97%, you get just a little bit pissed off. But i'll definitely get it today, im sure of it. Just gotta work at it some more. I'll give the holding the yellow a go too, hopefully it'll work as well as holding the green does :)

In the practice mode i can get quite high % on the OBY, but in the song itself, im too tired after ten minutes of full concentration, and i can't get the rhythm going quick enough, too busy looking at the bar on the left too, and trying to use my Overdrive effectively.

EDIT:
I am lord of the strings, bow down before me. Huge thanks to DrDrEminem and NightDragon, couldn't have done it without you guys' advice. If i can return the favour achievements-wise, let me know, always happy to help. Big thanks to you both :)

pauly414
06-03-2008, 08:08 PM
at last, man it feels good after all that frustration. I lurve this game!!!!!

Crimson Ridley
06-04-2008, 09:37 PM
I had trouble on the OBY part for a while but what I di to pass that was hold Yellow, and then up-down strum Yellow and Orange, you will have to keep tapping the orange button. Doing this I managed to get 3/4 the way through before I had to use Overdrive. Dunno if it will help anyone else, but I now have Expert Career done because I thought of that :)

barnesB0mb
06-08-2008, 08:47 AM
i passed all songs on expert 1st time
till i got to this bad boy
ive played 3 times and fail in the 1st solo
i took it practice
im getting better
ill do it soon.....I HOPE
im just getting used to the HO/PO timing in this game
i was treating it like GH3
practicing more today
its my destiny

Pearce1991
06-09-2008, 02:25 PM
damn that last few sections of the second solo were damn near impossible, i been doin this song the whole day and just completed it gettin about 95% on the second solo XD

boy am i happy, that means i completed rock band guitar expert in just under a day YAYYYYYYYY!!!

OMGIZZLEZ
06-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Wow I've had this game since Christmas and I've been on GGaHT forever.
Really its just that I cant be bothered to play through the whole 6 minutes and then fail at 95% everytime.

It also doesnt make since that I've beat Jordan, I'm close to beating TTAF and I only have 3 more songs to 5* on expert...

EDIT: Finally beat it...

Tenacious
06-12-2008, 04:59 PM
This song isn't hard. I had more trouble on RttH then on this song. Beat it on my first try.

I'm always good at these fretty songs like Free Bird and GGaHT, but on songs where you have to strum a lot, I do really bad.

gauderio
06-12-2008, 09:50 PM
I finally passed this last week. I spent almost a week practicing the end of the second solo and finally got it down to where I was hitting most of the notes. Thanks to the tips from the people above. I did it with the GH2 controller and the method of going just for the Y,R,G and skipping the R on the way back up.

So then I moved onto the endless setlist - and found out I'd spent so much time on this song that I lost it on the hard solos in Train Kept A Rollin, Highway Star, and Flirtin With Disaster. Thank goodness for band-mates.

drdreminem
06-13-2008, 08:13 AM
I couldn't see it properly in your vid ND, i thought you were just doing the RYR's and missing out the greens.
But yeah, definitely works amazing. Just played it a few times, and blitzed through those bits no problem, can get through the whole song without using Overdrive. Had to walk away from it though, cos after a couple of times failing at 96-97%, you get just a little bit pissed off. But i'll definitely get it today, im sure of it. Just gotta work at it some more. I'll give the holding the yellow a go too, hopefully it'll work as well as holding the green does :)

In the practice mode i can get quite high % on the OBY, but in the song itself, im too tired after ten minutes of full concentration, and i can't get the rhythm going quick enough, too busy looking at the bar on the left too, and trying to use my Overdrive effectively.

EDIT:
I am lord of the strings, bow down before me. Huge thanks to DrDrEminem and NightDragon, couldn't have done it without you guys' advice. If i can return the favour achievements-wise, let me know, always happy to help. Big thanks to you both :)

I'm always glad to help anyway I can.

Casley
08-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Just got to the end of the guitar career on expert this weekend. First try I failed the song at 97%. I couldn't bring myself to try it again so I put in Mass Effect. Oh well, I'll give it another go today.

I just failed it at 97% too after, failing it about 20 times earlier in the song.

ThtPepsiNagger
08-01-2008, 04:38 PM
for the zig zag i only use 2 fingers. i slide my index finger back and forth as my middle finger is the only one that touches the yellow. as for the triplets. that overdrive will come in handy. lol

bob150
08-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Hey guys, I just registered here and I am glad to see i'm not the only one who is getting frustrated with this song, I always get 80% (had 85% on first try). I just tried playing it with all your tips and seemed to do a lot better, so thank you. I broke my GH2 x-plorer on saturday so I can't get into over drive which is killing me, especially with certain parts of this song, I just don't seem to have the time to quickly hit the back button. I'm hoping to get a new guitar this week. So I will let you know if your tips helped me.

More_Credible
09-16-2008, 12:23 AM
This song made me retire from Rock Band almost. But I'm so determined to beat it... I'll have to try firing it up again.

Unless of course, someone is willing to do it for me in exchange for microsoft points.

Seriously, I'm desperate.

BouncingBalls22
09-16-2008, 12:55 AM
So am I...I always die at 85%

More_Credible
09-17-2008, 03:17 AM
So far, the best I can get is 65%.

I've got a loooooooooong way to go.

Gun-Nut
09-17-2008, 06:16 PM
I managed to make it up to 91% like 30minutes ago and then failed! :( That killed me a little inside :(

Tried again afterwards and oh look 85% again

More_Credible
09-18-2008, 02:02 AM
Wow, just tried it again for the first time tonight and got to 84%. That's by far the farthest I ever got.

Progress is a-comin'.

More_Credible
09-18-2008, 08:19 PM
90% today.

PA DA PIMP
09-18-2008, 11:11 PM
92% last night on like the 4th try i believe, should hopefully get it soon.

Mythtakes
09-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Gah, I fail on 80 odd% everytime :mad:

More_Credible
09-19-2008, 02:22 PM
94% just now! I saw the ridiculous part everyone was talking about for the first time.

If I had my overdrive at that point, it would've been achievement unlocked.

And I could curse this song to HELL.

More_Credible
09-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Today Gentlemen... I have become a man.

I just tackled Green Grass and High Tides. For the entire "Big Rock Ending", I just flipped it the bird and screamed every profanity I could think of.

Fuck this song.

JMills109
09-19-2008, 08:38 PM
If any of you are still struggling at 94-95% I would suggest playing it as if it were BYR instead of OBY. Slide your 321 fingers over and hit them like that.

Gun-Nut
09-22-2008, 01:12 AM
Damn It! Failed at 95% :(

Man that gets the adrenaline pumping

Edit:
*crys* 95% again! one last try for tonight

Ouch 3rd time = 92% :( At least I'm consistent now, hopefully after some sleep I can get though this :D

Well I thought screw turning it off and went for a 4th try...

FINALLY! :D LORD OF THE STRINGS IS MINE
http://tiles.xbox.com/tiles/rm/lX/0oCLiGJhbC9DFQQaXFJRFzI5L2FjaC8wLzcAAAAA5+fn-XhptQ==.jpg

Nirumano
09-22-2008, 01:59 AM
I rarely get really pissed off at games, but this song combined with the shit HOPOS in this game manages to piss me off so much i almost want to smash my guitar.. the same notes in gh3 would be like easy mode, in gh2 i would be a little harder but doable.. the stuff someone said about hopos having same timing window as gh2? i can actually hit some of the hopos in gh2 without strumming, but in rock band they just dont work (i use les paul controller). like alot of other people i usually fail at 85%, but now i managed to die at 66%.. j3r4w3mr32p

The worst part is of course the freaking length of the song

Edit: i better not play this game for a few days or i WILL break something... :@

edd__
09-22-2008, 10:29 AM
ffs! the timing window is spot on in RB. Just make sure you calibrate the system properly, and it'll be SPOT on. Seriously, so perfect.

daviduk2000
10-02-2008, 05:20 PM
grrr hate thisn song. iv done very other song on expert. completed GH aerosmith on Expert, im on last set of GH3 (they are ridiculosly hard)

yet i cant beat this one either, i get to 85% ish every time i HATE IT length is what i hate most, i mean after 6 tries i feel like wow i just wasted nearly an hour, because thats what it is wasted i never accomplished anything

SebastianSB
10-02-2008, 10:00 PM
grrr hate thisn song. iv done very other song on expert. completed GH aerosmith on Expert, im on last set of GH3 (they are ridiculosly hard)

yet i cant beat this one either, i get to 85% ish every time i HATE IT length is what i hate most, i mean after 6 tries i feel like wow i just wasted nearly an hour, because thats what it is wasted i never accomplished anything

then don't play the whole song. Just keep practicing the part that you fail at until you can get a good % at it...then practice all the parts after that part too for good measure.

JLogan27
10-10-2008, 02:06 PM
96%
96%
96%

I failed it at 96%.

I don't want to look at the game for a while now.

John Caboose
10-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Today Gentlemen... I have become a man.

I just tackled Green Grass and High Tides. For the entire "Big Rock Ending", I just flipped it the bird and screamed every profanity I could think of.

Fuck this song.

I experienced a state of blissfull joy, people truly are different. Although at least two two of us have something in common, we are "Lord of the Strings"! :woop:
Also for you who have not yet finished GGaHT, there's a special bonus unlock, and the pyrotechnics show after completing the song is...spectacular.
If you endure the pain of failing the song on 80%, 95% 5-6 times, there are only a few more tries to go.

A few tips I would've found helpful before attempting this song:

Do not give up
When coming for the zig-zag parts in the second solo, only do the usual 3 note Hammer on/Pull off instead of the entire chart.
Save your overdrive until the absolute final part of the song, the incredibly long O-B-Y part. You need it.
Also in this section, do not use your middle, ring and pinky but instead slide your hand further "up" the neck and use your index, middle and ring finger. They are stronger, more durable and more responsive giving you a larger chance of completing this final section of pure rage.
Using this method in the second zig-zag section also helps alot.
Once you have gotten hang of the song up until the first zig zag section, then go into practice mode and practice the hell out of the song from the first zig zag up until the big rock ending. (I.e Do not practice the big rock ending).

Jay747
10-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Bloody hell, just failed at 84%. the zig-zags are what gets me. I needed overdrive to get further but there wasn't enough of the bar full to unleash tit when I hit a few shiny colours just before another zig-zag part. :(

georgiandben
10-13-2008, 04:38 PM
I beat this song my second try the first week I got it and I've been trying to beat it that last three months and haven't passed it again.

Tozzy
10-14-2008, 08:39 PM
also stuck on 95 /96% :<

its funny i can pretty much own every single other song :P and this song up to the 3 note zigzags but i have to use the OD to get past the bit before it :P

guess i just need to keep trying it on practice :P

arghhhhhhhhhhh so frustrating

Tubson57
10-14-2008, 08:45 PM
To be honest, I was terrible on this song and only passed it once a while back. Then recently my friend told me to tap the hard parts of the solo with both hands, and with a little practice I was able to get a 97% on the second solo and a 5 star on the song. I'm not sure how to explain how, but maybe if you look something up on youtube you will get a feel for how to do it. The final section is easy if you hold down the yellow with one hand and alternate tapping the other two notes over and over.

Tozzy
10-14-2008, 10:24 PM
yeah the way im trying it is on the first zig zag bit -
hold green with right index
tap yellow once with my left index finger
constantly tapping red with right middle finger(two for every one yellow)

yes btw, im a lefty, so swap the words right and left if youre having trouble understanding it

and for the next part move it up one fret, the only trouble with this method is trying to get back in if you've lost the rythm as it genrally takes too long to move a hand back to the strum bar to pick another note and you will generally fail (whats happening to me)

SebastianSB
10-15-2008, 12:10 AM
yeah the way im trying it is on the first zig zag bit -
hold green with right index
tap yellow once with my left index finger
constantly tapping red with right middle finger(two for every one yellow)

I did pretty much the same thing when I finally beat the song. I found that if you ignore one of the reds and treat the set as a bunch of triplets I could almost always get roughly 75% notes hit in that part.

Almighty Tubsta
10-18-2008, 02:28 PM
I had trouble on this for ages, but now not only do it every time, I REALLY enjoy it! best score is 91%/370k :D

On the O-B-Y notes I hold my middle finger on Y, pull off ring and pinky from B & O, while strumming on every O. Doing this, I hit nearly the whole damn section every go.

DevilGuy
10-19-2008, 04:31 AM
Farthest I've made is 95% lol. :(

just 0wn3d y0u
11-12-2008, 01:28 AM
ok, wow, this song is pissing me off, im not a pro at expert but i can get by it, I beat all the songs, and this one song, Green Grass and High Tides, its the last one, i can get through more then half, but when it gets to the last solo part, i thing solo h 2 or something like that the notes become yellow, red, green, yellow, red green, for like a min straight and it freaking kills me. the hammer ons in this game are also weird compared to gh3 which i can't seem to perfect in rock band.

Now I was finally able to pass that part once using overdrive and then almost finish the song but then those damn notes came back being the fast orange, blue, yellow, orange blue yellow for another min... and I had no more overdrive.

this song is pissing me off lol

does anyone have any tips on how to master those 2 sections?
Ok, well if you are useing rockband guitar use the tap bar if that doesn't work out try practice the solos

Papageorgiou G
11-26-2008, 02:18 PM
I have been trying since last year to beat this song. Try it for a week, leave it for a month. Meanwhile, I have finished the expert careers of GHII, GHIII, GH Aerosmith ans GHIV. But not this song. It had got to the point that I was actually afraid to try it, couldn't bare the thought of losing to the SAME 85% EVERY SINGLE TIME.

And I beat it yesterday.

In my 12 years of gaming, never before have I felt such a feeling of accomplishment. Five stars and I couldn't stop yelling "DIIIEEEEEEEE!"

Such a nice song, such melodical solos...

My 2c. Never try it with less than 10 minutes of practice in the last solos. Make sure that, during practice, you can hit more than 70% of any part and THEN... go for it.

Now... bring me Rock Band II :)

Jay747
12-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Just tried this for the first time in a month or so and failed at 95%. :(

Furthest I got before was 80% so this was a huge improvement. I failed at the orange/blue/yellow triplets part at the end. I can do the other triplets without having to use the overdrive yet I can't do this one. I think it's faster than the others and by the time I get there my hand is basically dead.

Hopefully I can pull it off one time... have played it a couple of times since failing at 92% and then 84%!!!

Lord Chabelo
12-10-2008, 05:14 PM
This son is also kicking my @$$ on expert drums

GTukC
12-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Hadn't played this song for a month or so and got a new high 548k :). Long live this song.

Lympathia
01-05-2009, 07:51 AM
I hate this song, I really hate this song. I only played this game on expert and then I get to this song.

Makes me want to throw my guitar through the TV.......... grrrrrrrrrr!

AngrySalad
01-12-2009, 12:59 PM
There was only one part in this song that was giving me fits on Expert. I want to say about 86% of the way through. I think I failed it 3 times before I got it. Just keep on keepin' on.

Lympathia
01-12-2009, 01:44 PM
What also annoys me is that I can't just beat it on hard and get that achievement.
The game wants me to play every other song that I beat on expert already. Stupid!!!

SebastianSB
01-12-2009, 05:52 PM
What also annoys me is that I can't just beat it on hard and get that achievement.
The game wants me to play every other song that I beat on expert already. Stupid!!!

Then save yourself the trouble and just keep practicing the song on expert :woop:

You'll get it eventually...I didn't think I would lol

thepaperhand
01-19-2009, 12:23 AM
This song is driving me crazy!!! im gonna snap my guitar in half pretty soon! I'm using a guitar hero guitar, would a rock band guitar be easier?

SebastianSB
01-19-2009, 01:31 AM
This song is driving me crazy!!! im gonna snap my guitar in half pretty soon! I'm using a guitar hero guitar, would a rock band guitar be easier?

Probably, but only if you

a) can get used to using the solo buttons

or b) modify your guitar so the normal buttons act like solo buttons, which is pretty much cheating.

Chrispy Ware
02-09-2009, 08:12 AM
I HATE THIS SONG!!!!!

I can not even convey my anger at this piece of crap song. Guitar was horrible on it, and now drums???? HA! 97% done with it and I failed because I was just sick of playing the same crappy beat over and over for 10 minutes, lost my concentration, and just like that, BOOM! Failed. Try Again? No thank you. Try my ass, Rock Band. Give me a good song, not this 10 minute hillbilly solo anthem.

TriceII
02-11-2009, 06:03 AM
Just throwing out a suggestion, didn't read the whole topic, so if someone already said this...sue me. Anyways, you should be able to get to solo 2, if not then do whatever you didn't do (if you didn't do Hammer-on's/Pull-offs try it; if not vice versa). Although the hard part is mainly those three phases in solo number 2 (actually it is technically two parts of 1 phase and 1 part of another, but whatever). On the YRGRY one don't try to do it all, and don't try to pull-off, best to not try and do either, instead actually try to strum each note, but only the YRG_YRG_YRG (if you can't then just hit the fret at the right time and strum the beginning not after missing the middle red). If it gets confusing then just hit yellow red green, miss the red and repeat. USE the overdrive at the end of the phase, but not till you REALLY need it, the main reason is because if you save it you'll need to probably use it on the BYRYB phase, and then you won't save it for the repeating OBY's at the end (in case you need the overdrive.) Now do YRG over and over, than use it when red, or at the end if you can barely handle it, if you do it no problem...still use it, unless you believe you can do the BYRYB phase no sweat. Now, after you finish the first phase you'll get more overdrive in the "break" and then onto BYRYB with the same technique, if done right, you'll get onto a further spot than normal (depending on the person). Okay so now just focus on getting overdrive and SAVING it till you get to OBY's at the end, and use it BEFORE it gets red on the OBY's, because it isn't easy to catch-up with them, unless you're a "steady eddie". Good luck.

vgcollateral
02-11-2009, 01:31 PM
My advice for beating the solos. Learn to use the solo buttons, i found them easier especially in the second solo

MystiiiC
02-20-2009, 04:39 AM
Not that its important or anything but I feel the need to post that i finally beat this bitch of a song. My heart was literally racing after beating it. Espcially for the fact I choked so hard on last energy phrase so i went into the last bit of solo 2 with no star power whatsoever. ahhh but finally done with that damn song... and expert drums... yay me.

bob150
02-20-2009, 06:36 PM
I've spent almost all day trying to pass this song, furthest I got was 97%. Now I can't get passed either 36 or 80%. I've almost smashed up my drums a few times in rage lol.

chiefgonebad
03-06-2009, 12:36 PM
The hammer-ons in Rock Band are weirder because you actually have to hit the note on time, unlike in GH: 3 where you just have to hold the note as it crosses.

For the YRG-GRY etc part just hit the first YRG part, then just try and hit the GRY ones. Also save you're star power until you really need it.

PS- Always use you're solo buttons, there a life saver

SebastianSB
03-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Wouldn't GH3 be the weird one since it's the only game out of all the GH/RB games where timing doesn't matter? lol

Nirumano
03-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Wouldn't GH3 be the weird one since it's the only game out of all the GH/RB games where timing doesn't matter? lol

Yeah, but there's also a cheat that makes the timing window like the other games. Imo there should be an option that lets you choose how you want it (without calling it cheat), like scrolling or static text in vocals. Personally I have no need for the guitar play to be "as realistically as possible", cos come on - it's a plastic guitar with 5 buttons, and I prefer the GH3 system.

If you want to play realistically, pick up a real guitar (that's what I did :D)

SebastianSB
03-07-2009, 04:39 PM
???

You can choose between static and scrolling vocals for the same reason you can choose between breakneck and non-breakneck in RB2. All they change is how things look, not how things play. The feature you're suggesting would obviously have to be a cheat because it would make the game ridiculously easier, like disabling the bass pedal for drums.

At what point did games requiring skill become a bad thing? You take the timing out of rhythm games and it breaks them.

djm
04-10-2009, 08:17 AM
I DID IT!

Finally, after many pratice, i have finished the expert guitar career.

Just keep trying ;)

Tom115
04-10-2009, 02:50 PM
GG&HT is serious fun to play.

Arcanon
04-11-2009, 01:04 AM
GG&HT is serious fun to play.

I must agree.

I hated this song with a passion back when I couldn't pass it, and nearly died when I finally passed. Now, I'm able to 5-star it, and it's pretty fun to play.

My advice: Keep practicing, save SP, and don't go for every note in the zigzag. You can miss one for every 3 notes you hit and be fine until the last few notes of the zigzag. Use SP there, and for a quick triplet descending note section at the end, and you're fine.

One mistake I've seen people make that I've made: There's a fast section between the four-note descending sections. You won't fail at that part, so don't use SP. You won't have enough left for the triplets. Save for that section, use SP when you're at low yellow-almost red in the meter, and you're home free.

Best of luck to everyone still trying to beat this song. I assure you, there will come a time where you will enjoy playing this. Believe me, I didn't think so either.

Sieberella
06-06-2009, 05:26 PM
In all honesty it's not a BAD song, I like the sound of it, it just sucks to play lol. I honestly have no idea how I beat it on expert. I just remember strumming up and down and running my fingers over the buttons up and down like a mad woman, towards the end activating star power whenever I could and somehow that got me through.

Eggy
06-13-2009, 09:53 PM
I finally got this today, took me long enough. at first I tried to practice the zigzaging, but I completely failed this song when I was practicing with more than 60%. so I tried to play the zigzag as descending triplets, completely ignoring the red note that comes in between the triplets. playing 3 notes and missing one lowers the rockmeter less than hitting nothing at all^^

hallucinated
06-20-2009, 01:11 AM
Always fail arounf 85%. Gonna borrow it again tomorrrow and try some suggestions here!

Strat is poop, Les Paul all the way!

Mellowins
06-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Well...You should practice getting triplets back and fourth again and again and you'll get faster. My tip is that you save overdrive to that first part wait for your rock meter to reach red then pump up overdrive and keep till near the end the inbetween that part whammy all the short held notes for a very good overdrive part. afterwards it should be easy! it took me a while but i finally got it too!

bob150
08-22-2009, 02:38 AM
My post in this thread was my first on this site, and now I'm glad to say I've finally passed it, for those who are still trying keep at it, you'll get it eventually. Hello Lord Of The Strings

Gohan Reborn
09-06-2009, 11:42 PM
This song frustrates me as well. I've failed 7 times already.

3 times at 81%
2 times at 85%
2 times at 95%

I swear, if this song wasn't worth 140G's to me...

I rarely play RB1, because I have RB2 and my songs imported. Wanted to max out what I could do solo, so I can sell it towards some new releases, but this song is a bitch. Off to practice mode -_-

Jappe XBA
10-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Goddamnit!!!!! I got 95% through then failed... :@:mad::mad::mad:

I used my overdrive a little too early on the GRYRG notes and it ended before the next overdrive notes so I got another overdrive for the RYBYR notes, whipee! Got past that. Then I was like "huh, finally after many many tries I get some gamerscore :p" then... there is... OBY and something like that.....
AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! !!

x352x pH
10-07-2009, 10:07 PM
FUCK THIS SONG!!!! jesus i've tried so many times and finally got pass the stupid YRG solo section only to come to the BRY section... fail out at 86% constantly.. fuck you Harmonix, fuck you

Piculiar
10-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Not to be an ass or anything, but if you think
this song is hard you surely never played through
the expert career in GH3. THEN you would have something
to bitch about. I personally beat this (and every other song,
I did them all in one long run) on my first try, never having
played or heard the song before, and I just found it to be
really really fun. In fact, I've pretty much listened to the song
constantly since then (I'm doing it right now) and it's become
one of my favorite songs, so don't go saying it's bad.

Okay, some advice then? If you can, learn to use the solo buttons.
I can't, they're too goddam small, but I would if I could. It sure would
make tapping a lot easier. Also, you should obviously save your overdrive until you absoutely must use it, and when you do, try all you can to prolong it by hitting any eventual overdrive phrases within it. I find it
hard to give people advice on such a practice-driven game, though, so
that's really the only advice I can give if you suck; PRACTICE.

x352x pH
10-14-2009, 08:23 PM
honestly, i've beat GH3 on every difficulty including expert and i still can't beat this shit sooo idk what to say lol

Piculiar
10-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Wow, that's really surprising. For real.
I never thought someone who could beat
Lou on Expert would struggle with this one.
I mean, it's no TtFaF, just some good ol' fast
HOPO's.

x352x pH
10-16-2009, 01:59 AM
okay, well.. i may have used a certain glitch to beat lou, but i beat the set list legit lol... oh and RB1 HOPOs suck ass i loved GH3 HOPOs.. well i think ill do expert drums while i wait for an opportunity for my friend to do this fucking song lol

N-Forced
11-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Is it bad that I can 5 star this song in rock band one and gold star this in rock band 2 but can barely beat flirting with disaster?

Piculiar
11-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Is it bad that I can 5 star this song in rock band one and gold star this in rock band 2 but can barely beat flirting with disaster?

If it's still on guitar, then yes, you should see a doctor.

N-Forced
11-05-2009, 11:26 PM
If it's still on guitar, then yes, you should see a doctor. Yea it was on guitar but after I posted that I played it again and 5 stared it first try so I was probably just tired or something.

earthquakex
11-15-2009, 08:39 AM
I know how you all feel. I ALWAYS get to 80% and then fail. Even if I do great for the rest of the song I have never been able to beat it :(

CheckNorris
12-05-2009, 02:43 AM
that solo sucks so much on guitar. I got the ANIMAL achievment today, which i thought was never gonna happen.. a least i thought i would rather beat the guitar career! hate it

Zomoniac
12-24-2009, 05:58 PM
Finally!! I did all but one song on expert guitar the day it came out, and 18 months later I've finally done the bitch. Anyway...

One mistake I've seen people make that I've made: There's a fast section between the four-note descending sections. You won't fail at that part, so don't use SP. You won't have enough left for the triplets. Save for that section, use SP when you're at low yellow-almost red in the meter, and you're home free.

I couldn't disagree more. If you have an RB guitar (or even better, an RB2/Beatles one), using the index and middle fingers of your right hand and the index finger of your left hand on the solo buttons then the triplets actually become the easiest section of the song. If you've got the right fingering and know the timing that bit's really easy (if, and only if, you have a guitar with solo buttons). But, in my experience, the mental five second bit during the four-note descending bit can very easily take you from full health to dead almost instantly. That's the bit I can't hope to get through without SP.

Alt_F4_To_Win
01-03-2010, 02:07 PM
The way I did the song, after a few months and 3 different controllers, was to strum as much as possible in the first solo, not using any overdrive as I didnt need it if I wasnt tired. When it got to the RYBYRYBYR bit, I would anchor the red and tap yellow whilst strumming. Got me through both of the snake bits. For the OBY trpilets, anchor yellow and tap blue whilst strumming. I hope this helps someone.

that505guy
02-26-2010, 12:13 AM
just go into practice and practice the last solo...
if you cant play the beginning..your gonna need to go hire an expert... or just go buy some more rb gh games (or dlc lol) and play them through on xpt too get your skill up...then youll ahve no problem playing it...
go get the megadeth albums... then complain lol thats my tap cant play some of those songs...

Rieza
03-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Green Grass and High Tides took me two weeks straight of playing over and over again to finally get it right... but my god. It really took its toll on the guitar i used. It doesn't strum down right any more...

ZanKioH
03-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Just done it after finally getting the game back from a friend.
It was nice to unlock 4 achievements at once :P