PDA

View Full Version : In-Depth Penalty Shot: Different Solution, Solo

RougeRogue
12-03-2007, 10:20 PM
So, I was getting as fed up as everyone else seemed to be, attempting this achievement (by myself, no less), to no avail.

Finally, I took matters more definitively into my own hands, with some extensive prep-work -- here's what I did:

Go into "Rosters" (under the "Options" Menu), and "View Roster" for Denmark's team (the team you'll be playing against). For EACH AND EVERY skater, adjust the following attributes down to "1" (I chose "1" rather than "0" to avoid potential CPU over-compensation for Denmark's players):

Acceleration (easier to get on 'breakaway' if you pass them easily)
Faceoff (I always wanted to win faceoffs, as this would make orchestration easier)
Hustle (again, easier to 'breakaway' if you're passing them easily)
Puck Handling (if Denmark got puck, wanted to take it back easily)
Speed (same reasons as Acceleration and Hustle)
Composure (I wanted all their players feeling free to hack at 'breakaway' player)

OK, so getting a 'breakaway' is now easy . . . now, to help myself to score the penalty shot . . . .

On that first "Rosters" screen, you're viewing only the skaters -- press LB once to view the goalies, and we can make them more like loaves of bread than professional goalies. Here's what I changed (again, down to "1" for named attributes) for both goalies, though I'm confident you can lower much more than I did, for even better effectiveness:

Anticipation (easy scoring on goalies with poor anticipation)
Balance (if goalies fall down after one juke, they're toast)
Focus (goalie will never see the shot coming)
Lateral Movement (move left, then back right, goalie's at wrong side)
Puck Control (wanted to be able to take puck back from goalie, during play)
Quickness (much like anticipation)
Reflexes (much like quickness)
Speed (assumed that this was exactly like quickness)
Composure (nervous goalies save less)
Vision (exactly like focus, I assumed)

(obviously, when you're looking at that screen there are MANY more options one could edit to incapacitate the opposing goalies, even further)

. . . with those changes, and playing BY MYSELF (NOT even using a second controller, which I finally gave up on as too unwieldy to attempt) as the North American All-Stars vs. the new-and-unimproved-Denmark, I simply took control of the puck, brought it behind my own net (to bring opposing team as far forward as possible), then SPRINTED (right trigger, direct player normally with left stick) towards the opposing net, releasing right trigger and holding "X" immediately after passing last defender (not too close to goalie, or your momentum carries you into goalie, who takes possession) -- second try earned me the penalty shot, first try at penalty shot scored.

Hope this helps all those who are having troubles with the other methods -- feel free to ask further questions, if needed, right to me on XBL messaging, or message me here . . . . ;-)

AC Carter
12-04-2007, 05:43 AM
Thanks, I unlocked the breakaway this way and I will try the penalty next!

dtolley
12-09-2007, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the tip. Your tip mixed with all the sliders adjusted, I finally got this.

greenhell
12-13-2007, 03:33 PM
I've tried getting a penalty for like an hour solid using every method going, never had even 1. Help!

Tan Coul
12-30-2007, 02:17 AM
Sounds foolproof - but no match for my foolishness... done all the settings as suggested but however long I keep the puck behind my net I can't get the stat-lean Danes to leave their half - at most one of them will venture up with the rest firmly in defense. I'm obviously missing something, but what?

kingofkings dfa
01-05-2008, 12:54 PM
iv been trying to get this achivevment 4 a cupple of hours nw and i havent even been fouled for a penalty shot. iv lowered all the cmp bars dwn to the min put all mine to the top yet they wont foul me wen at all through the game let alone whilst im about to shoot. any ideas as iv copied every thing about the settings before the match an iv even looked on you tube but no matter what i do i cant get a penalty shot.

RogueVasion
01-13-2008, 06:59 AM
I will give this a try tomorrow!

Stevedawg313
02-03-2008, 12:11 AM
I don't mean to bump an old topic but I just wanted to let the topic creator that I owe him thanks for this method. I was at my wits end and about to give up until I tried this and got it within a minute of playing the game. Thanks again.

trekker1303
02-10-2008, 10:20 AM
OK, I do not know whats going on, but I am following these rules EXACTLY but I can not get the penalty shot. I am holding down X to prepare to shoot and waiting for the opp. team to whack me. They do, but all my player does is fall to the ice and lose the puck, NO PENALTY!!!!!! I have adjusted the sliders for penalties so that only penalty shots are called. Should I return the penalty settings back to middle, or maybe all the way to the right? PLEASE HELP!

EDIT: Damn, I finally got it. A tip: Start pressing X before you get into the attacking zone, right after you pass the D-men. They slash you more.

mattdtb84
02-12-2008, 09:50 PM
this works did it in first period exactly how you said, thanks

ThirdeYe
02-18-2008, 06:01 AM
Didn't work for me, can't get the computer to get a penalty on me for the life of me.

ThirdeYe
02-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Okay I finally got it, using your tips but also tweaking them a little bit. I think it would help to mention that it's much much easier to do it on Arcade mode, that way you skate a lot quicker and can break away from the defenders a lot easier. Just tweak the arcade settings to turn up the penalties and turn them back on, and you should be golden. Took me only about 10-15 minutes after figuring that out.

bobdajob
03-18-2008, 11:00 AM
The quickest way to get the penalty achivement is to use two controllers. bring all the oppposition players as far forward as possible then break away. as soon as you pass the last blue line hold x. then have the defender on the second controller come behind you and press the right analogue stick towards the attacker. also turn all sliders bar penalty shots to the left. this took me 8 secs to get a penalty shot compared to 2 hours plus waiting for the computer

L1OYDY
03-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Used the Op's instructions to the letter and got the penalty shot in about 3 mins, after HOURS of trying everything else, takes a few minutes to setup but well worth the effort. Huge thanks to the OP!!!

Lord J Rod
05-01-2008, 06:08 PM
RogueRouge i could kiss you! You are a friggin genius! Your method works perfectly. The only thing i did different was set their aggressiveness way up. I got the penalty shot and goal in 49 seconds! Thanks and your method is the best in the world, because i tried EVERYTHING else and this was the only way that worked for me! THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!!!!

RougeRogue
05-19-2008, 04:56 AM
Glad to help -- again, if anyone is having problems with this, feel free to message me directly through this site, as I'm more likely to get a private message with a question than to see a question posted in this thread in a timely manner. ;-)

rogue 122
05-25-2008, 07:59 PM
I tried the above had to play for 20min until I got a PS. missed? dont know how. then just played moving all the sliders. I got another PS, u guessed it I missed again playing the CPU..............Getting pissed. Found a Vid YouTube - Penalty shot achievement NHL 2K6 (Xbox 360) Im getting pissed cuase I cant repeat the PS. I think this is my prob. Going to try this tonight.

rogue 122
05-26-2008, 04:01 AM
So I tried again like the above Vid, I got two PS. Missed Again,:mad::mad: So I did the above mentioned. Also, put the sliders as mentioned in other post. With in 2min got it. I'm done with NHL 2k6.:woop: There is a trick, you need to be in front of the goal. I sprint and let go and hold X. If you on the side you just get delay foul

RougeRogue
05-26-2008, 08:32 AM
So I tried again like the above Vid, I got two PS. Missed Again,:mad::mad: So I did the above mentioned. Also, put the sliders as mentioned in other post. With in 2min got it. I'm done with NHL 2k6.:woop: There is a trick, you need to be in front of the goal. I sprint and let go and hold X. If you on the side you just get delay foul

Ahhh, yes, I mention in my original post that I sprint towards the opposing net, hoping that people might take that more literally, rather than simply sprinting toward the opposing side -- or, do you mean that you're starting in front of your own net, rather than behind, as this might induce the Danes to approach the puck handler more readily, bringing them further forward?

rogue 122
05-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Opposing side, you need to be right in front, if you are just to the side of the opposing goal, you just get a B.S. foul. I just started from the back at my Goal " Anywhere" just sprinted to where I was in front of the opposing side goal, let go the "RT"( after the Blue line and Last Defender), and held the "X" and bam PS.

DrMuffinStuffer
05-31-2008, 09:10 PM
Just thought I'd say thanks for this, it worked in about 2 mins. Although all I did was edit the 'composure' on all the skaters and everything on the goalies. Didn't have the patience to edit 6 or 7 lines on each of the 18 skaters!!:)

:woop::woop::woop::woop::woop:

JC
06-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks, I will try this when I re-rent the game. :)

YerpY
06-02-2008, 12:00 AM
no luck they just hit me and no penalty

antnie
06-02-2008, 12:08 AM
This stinks I do not have this game any more, but I think I will go and rent it just to get this last achievement. Your method sounds so much easier. Thanks.

secrett
06-03-2008, 12:00 PM
followed the guide and adjusted the sliders and go it in 30 mins.
helps even more if you get 2 of your own players sent off for some reason

hogwired
06-03-2008, 09:44 PM
I finally did it!!! I looked around at most of the blogs and one of them mentioned a video on youtube so I watched it and just tried to do what they did. I was the World All Stars and I played against Denmark. I turned all penalties and human controls up and all cpu down. When the game started, I got 2 people in the box and it took until the 3rd period for me to get a penalty shot but I finally got it. Earlier today, I took 4 or 5 shots but I guess I was aiming right where the goalie was standing because it didn't work, so this time I got on his left side and aimed right. I hope those of you that haven't been able to get it do. It took me 2 days.

RougeRogue
06-04-2008, 08:34 PM
no luck they just hit me and no penalty

. . . If you have a specific question about it, please, don't hesitate to ask -- this can be an extremely aggravating achievement to go for, but once you get the hang of getting a penalty shot awarded to you, it's just a matter of time before you get it right. ;-)

HolySchmiidt
06-06-2008, 06:14 PM
ive tried with 2 controllers and cpu, everytime they do foul me they just get sent to the penalty box and then it ends up being 3 on 3. i never get a penalty shot call not once ever.

mig0
06-07-2008, 03:55 AM
Found this youtube video which offers a few additional steps.

YouTube - Penalty shot achievement NHL 2K6 (Xbox 360)

Namely, to go 2 men down before trying. I guess the computer is more likely to foul and give penalty shots in that situation.

Skyripper
06-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Very helpful, thank you ;)

Vapourise
06-13-2008, 06:25 PM
i dont get this i got the penaulty shot and scored on allstar and no achievement???? BUT in the game i was keep switching sides would that affect it???

Tubby 94
07-10-2008, 02:30 AM
I GOT IT HALELUHIA after 7 hours i got my penalty shot and ripped it top shelf thank you for the guide and tips people have posted couldn't of done it without them

Curtis
07-31-2008, 05:23 PM
Everytime I get a penalty, it's a face off restart? Is there anything I can do to get the 1v1 on the goalie.

RougeRogue
08-01-2008, 09:59 AM
i dont get this i got the penaulty shot and scored on allstar and no achievement???? BUT in the game i was keep switching sides would that affect it???

I do believe that you CANNOT switch sides in the process of getting this achievement, or you will not unlock the achievement -- it must be accomplished playing just one side.

Everytime I get a penalty, it's a face off restart? Is there anything I can do to get the 1v1 on the goalie.

If I recall correctly, I did not adjust my penalty sliders at all, as I wanted just the most flagrant fouls being called, which I reasoned would be more likely to award me that penalty shot, once my attacker was past Denamark's last defender, and past their blue line, closing on goal, with X-button pressed (and held). Remember, one must be in the act of shooting, on a break-away (X-button held down, past all defense) in order to be awarded a penalty shot, when fouled from behind. ;-)

PE0014
08-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Thanks for this information. It took me a few minutes but then I finally got it!!

xtal84
08-11-2008, 01:21 AM
After following the OP's exact directions and playing for about 10 minutes I got a penalty shot and scored.

Great tip.

owenstoodstill
08-14-2008, 02:18 AM
Ive done everything tried everything and everyones idea and nothin . when i get a break past the last defender they just catch up and stand next to me and do nothin ending up pushing me into the keeper ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RougeRogue
08-15-2008, 07:52 PM
Ive done everything tried everything and everyones idea and nothin . when i get a break past the last defender they just catch up and stand next to me and do nothin ending up pushing me into the keeper ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's why it's important to start your shot (hold down the shot button, but don't release) far enough away from the keeper, that you should (hopefully) get fouled before running into the goalkeeper. If you're not getting any penalties inflicted upon you while doing this . . . are your settings set correctly?

There's no doubt it's frustrating, and you're probably getting that "what the *&#% am I doing wrong?!?" feeling, but . . . take that deep breath, review the settings carefully (making sure they match those outlined in the original post), smile at yourself, and give it another whack -- you'll get it. ;-)

kentarulez
08-15-2008, 08:57 PM
I'm British and know nothing about NHL, what is a `breakaway'?

DTF INFERNO
08-21-2008, 08:14 PM
I have tried all of the other strategies on the forums, but to no avail. Hopefully I will have a bit more luck when I try this one in the next few minutes.

DTF INFERNO
08-21-2008, 08:16 PM
I'm British and know nothing about NHL, what is a `breakaway'?

It is when you bypass all of the other team's defenses and you have a one on one with the goalie.

gamerdude26
08-25-2008, 02:17 AM
i still cant get this achiev i gave up for some time now..it started to piss me off..

fourinchestrong
08-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the info RougeRogue. It got it on my second attempt. Have been struggling with this achievement for hours.

j69plus1
09-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Well i guess spending all that time adjusting those sliders was worth it when it said achievement 250..:woop:

The Answer PNE
09-07-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm going to go and try this method now...hope it works!

The Answer PNE
09-08-2008, 12:09 PM
It worked! Thanks for the guide, had been stuck on this for ages!

Sniper JZA80
10-09-2008, 02:52 AM
aaargh. I managed in a 30 minute game to get 3 penalty shots. Stuffed them all up. How can this be so hard. Though I've got a lot closer with your help mate than anything else. Does anyone know how to get your second controller to be the goalie?

EDIT: Nevermind. All done! Thank god for that! This guide was awesome help. Thanks mate

gJAYg
10-09-2008, 03:41 PM
WTF i followed all ur steps, changed all their stats, then i go back to my net and rush to theirs, they always hit me and steal the puck while im holding X but i never get a penalty shot CMON!

Darth Wargasm
10-19-2008, 02:47 AM
yesssss i finally got it!! thank you for this strategy. i had given up on this achievement then got bored tonight and decided too give it another go and i got it =]

big red marino
11-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks man this is the best thread for getting that penalty shot. I followed these his instructions to the T. The main thing was figuring out what gives you a penalty shot. Since I don't know hockey I had no idea your player had to be flagrantly fouled while on a breakaway. Once I figured that out I got it 5 times (took me 5 times to get the goal...I suck that bad). I just skated past the last two guys so it was me and the goalie and then released RT before the last blue line and held down "X". Waiting for someone to foul me. Now I did not get it everytime...but most of the time you will get the shot. Thank god I had 2 controllers going...because the goalies (loaves of bread) were still tough to score on.

Blingcannon
12-08-2008, 05:32 AM
I think the key is to combine the tips from the video and from the first post:
-You need to nerf the stats of the opposing team first.
-You also need to turn ALL PENALTIES to max. Just turning Penalty Shot to max meant I'd be slashed in the head and wouldn't get a penalty shot.
-Next max your team's sliders in the options in the "play now"...things like boost duration, boost effect, etc. Do the opposite for the CPU.
-In the game it helps to take penalties. If you have 5-4 guys on the ice a winger will follow you up and if he beats the d-man the game doesn't always register it as a breakaway for some reason. The most fool-proof way is if you're guy is the only member of your team in their zone and there are two d-men behind you molesting your player.
-As soon as you beat their D, start holding down X and if the D-men can foul you before you run into the goalie you should be golden.
-On the penalty shot (with the brick goalie) remember to boost. I forgot to boost on my first one and it made it harder to beat the goalie. I suggest dekeing right then going left and wristing it past the keeper who should be swimming if you nerfed them enough.

Enjoy 250 GP.:woop:

MrChooChooHead
12-09-2008, 01:37 PM
I followed this method with no success. However I did achieve it with a slight modification.

I followed all the settings and brought the puck back into my half and sprinted 4ward with the RIGHT BUMPER. what I did was to do a quick stop by flicking DOWN on the RIGHT THUMBSTICK and then hold X. That brought my player to an immediate stop and allowed Denmark to crash into me.

ALSO i did this just after the HALFWAY LINE as I found no success with getting closer to the goalie as the other players seemed to slow down before tackling me

Happy hunting

WilyMoROCKS
12-11-2008, 01:38 AM
Damn this achievement just about drove me crazy...

finally got it after trying the different directions throughout this thread after an hour or so...

PROPS. :locked

Rayne
12-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Found this youtube video which offers a few additional steps.

YouTube - Penalty shot achievement NHL 2K6 (Xbox 360) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=F3KglcMRnLE)

Namely, to go 2 men down before trying. I guess the computer is more likely to foul and give penalty shots in that situation.

Totally freaking awesome, getting 2 guys down, the penalty moves every player toward your side, run like hell an hold x, worked a charm first try ;)

Scoring in under a minute won't unlock for me though D: I've no idea why.

haveatyousnake
12-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Got this achievement straight away after doing this method, thanks alot man, full 1000 now :)

IanCFitz
12-29-2008, 08:13 AM
5 hours of following this guide, and tweaking additional settings I still can't get this damned ach.

Hard to get fouled, and when I do, the goalie blocks the shot every freaking time...

And yes I've got the goalies turned down to 1 on all their attributes... WTF?????!!!?!?!

Sieni
01-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the tips. I had this missing too but got a change to try it yesterday.
Used the sliders and players BUT took line changes off. So I only edited 1st line of Denmark + goalie. First try, boom penalty shot. Hit the post tho but got it finally. Thank you guys and happy new year!

Novasark
01-19-2009, 04:42 PM
I got it using this technique but it was still tough. Got 3 penalty shots in 2 hours and missed the first 2. Finally I shot from the left side EXACTLY as shown in the video and it worked. Thank you!

chaos muffin
01-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Hey RougeRogue1 ,

Did you only use one controller, and set it on your team?
Or did you use 2 controllers and set the other controller on the other team?

::EDIT::

Nevermind, I knew my post would jinx it into working hah. 1000 achieved.

I used the OP's setup, and one controller, set to my team. Was no need for an additional one.

I also nabbed the 'Score on a Breakaway' and 'Score a goal with 2 men down' on this achievement, with these settings. On accident mostly.
If you just give in, and enjoy the game without going for GS, but going for a high hockey score instead, you'll rack up in no time. With attributes & sliders set too your performance of course

Scott84
01-23-2009, 08:04 PM
I just want to say thanks! It worked!

Holding X is a key factor, i forgot to do that. Once i did it, penalty shot on first try.

Also, a tip. Let the opposing team attack you in your zone... then steal the puck and rush their goal, they will be short on players and you will have a better chance of getting a breakaway with enough time to spare to be tripped or something.

Also, the second you pass the last player, start holding x!!

Thanks to the original poster.

BlueRidgeRagger
02-03-2009, 03:06 PM
i did this this morning.. first i held X in their zone and got hit for a penalty shot.. first shot.. achievement.. then i fouled 2 times with 2 different players.. to get 2 man down.. went in for the kill.. boom.. achievement.. game is done :)

oh yeah forgot to mention.. when you are adjusting the sliders.. hit LB and it goes down 10pts at a time.. alot faster.. i did this with all their sliders hehe

NATAS1603
03-03-2009, 05:34 AM
ahhh i cant get it wtf

hitman elite 360
03-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks guys all your advise payed off.

scourge
03-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Thank you Rogue, this was the best way and the easiest. Thanks!

PLJ1134
03-25-2009, 02:25 AM
I just had to say THANKS!! This forum really helped me get this achievement.
I played against Denmark and I was the World Allstars. I lowered the stats on the Denmark goalies and lowered the composure of the defensemen to 1. I would get the puck to my Center, skate behind my own net and charge straight up the center of the ice, release turbo just I passed the last defender, held X and waited. I only took half the first period to get the penalty shot. And I nailed it the first time.
The key is to go straight to the net, release turbo and pass the last defender close to the blue line, and hold X. Making the goalies stats even lower than they already are helped ensure the easy goal. If you lower stats don't go all the way to Zero, stick to 1.

This site is great. I love getting easy achievements!

Veetus
03-27-2009, 07:13 AM
The quickest way to get the penalty achivement is to use two controllers. bring all the oppposition players as far forward as possible then break away. as soon as you pass the last blue line hold x. then have the defender on the second controller come behind you and press the right analogue stick towards the attacker. also turn all sliders bar penalty shots to the left. this took me 8 secs to get a penalty shot compared to 2 hours plus waiting for the computer

Do you mean to the right?

Sheeple
04-15-2009, 12:54 AM
Got this achievement VERY easily using this method. Actually, I changed less than the original OP did.

#1: All Human sliders to right, All CPU sliders to left

#2: Only edited the Top 5 Denmark players. Composure to 1. Toughness and Aggressiveness to 99.

#3 Get behind your own goal, RT and hold X after you pass last defender.

Got a penalty shot on my second breakaway about 30 seconds into the game. Ding.

westcam
04-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Unless the rest of you guys..only got this game 3 days ago, and yes I also stuck on this penalty shot achievement!

I gave this method a go, did the changes twice..somehow never get any foul to earn a P.S...then this morning decide to give another attempt got it in the first 5mins :)

Now I can toss it in the bin!

So i guess this method work! HUGE THANKS TO OP.

Robiin
05-20-2009, 10:49 PM
I "rented" this today (I have no place near me who rents out games, I live in Sweden - bought it but will return it for all money back :D), and did all the achievements BUT penalty shot in five minutes.

Tried different methods but never got the penalty shot - until I TRIED YOUR METHOD. Thank you! Got four penalty shots in about 30 minutes - missed the first three :P.

CcAaRrSsOoNn3
05-29-2009, 12:09 AM
Finally got this!!!

Whooo another 1K bites the dust!!!!

JDSensations
06-07-2009, 06:05 PM
tips worked for me..... do it all stars.... change your settings (human) to top... change CPU settings to lowest... put all penalties up to top.... then get 2 players sent off then do the hold x trick and it works... some info was very confusing for me lol but i got there

Damnil82
06-12-2009, 07:45 AM
So, I was getting as fed up as everyone else seemed to be, attempting this achievement (by myself, no less), to no avail.

Finally, I took matters more definitively into my own hands, with some extensive prep-work -- here's what I did:

Go into "Rosters" (under the "Options" Menu), and "View Roster" for Denmark's team (the team you'll be playing against). For EACH AND EVERY skater, adjust the following attributes down to "1" (I chose "1" rather than "0" to avoid potential CPU over-compensation for Denmark's players):

Faceoff (I always wanted to win faceoffs, as this would make orchestration easier)
Composure (I wanted all their players feeling free to hack at 'breakaway' player)

OK, so getting a 'breakaway' is now easy . . . now, to help myself to score the penalty shot . . . .

On that first "Rosters" screen, you're viewing only the skaters -- press LB once to view the goalies, and we can make them more like loaves of bread than professional goalies. Here's what I changed (again, down to "1" for named attributes) for both goalies, though I'm confident you can lower much more than I did, for even better effectiveness:

(obviously, when you're looking at that screen there are MANY more options one could edit to incapacitate the opposing goalies, even further)

. . . with those changes, and playing BY MYSELF (NOT even using a second controller, which I finally gave up on as too unwieldy to attempt) as the North American All-Stars vs. the new-and-unimproved-Denmark, I simply took control of the puck, brought it behind my own net (to bring opposing team as far forward as possible), then SPRINTED (right trigger, direct player normally with left stick) towards the opposing net, releasing right trigger and holding "X" immediately after passing last defender (not too close to goalie, or your momentum carries you into goalie, who takes possession) -- second try earned me the penalty shot, first try at penalty shot scored.

Hope this helps all those who are having troubles with the other methods -- feel free to ask further questions, if needed, right to me on XBL messaging, or message me here . . . . ;-)
I just got this achievement a few minutes ago and wanted to say thank you for the tremendous help.

I found a few other stats to be helpful in lowering as well for each skater. I increased Aggressiveness to 99 and then lowered Poise and Nerve to 1 as well.

Needless to say 33 seconds later I got my very first penalty shot and drained it.

NZSaint
06-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks RougeRouge, followed your instructions to the letter and as soon as i got the puck i had my very first penalty, followed by my very first penalty goal. 1000/1000 pts, your the man!!!

Velius
06-16-2009, 03:27 PM
This actually worked for me after hours of trying.
Thank You so much

TheRealPsiPhi
06-29-2009, 01:17 AM
Worked in 3 tries. Perfect.

FOX-Inc.
07-07-2009, 04:20 PM
How much frustration can one lousy achievement give? I FINALLY made it after six hours straight in which I actually managed to miss six penalty shots! :mad: Oh well, seven probably IS the lucky number, another 1000 G done, so a big thanks to everyone posting their help in this topic :)

TheGreatGagsy
07-09-2009, 09:10 PM
still having trouble with this one too!

Giantregis
07-09-2009, 11:01 PM
hi ! It tooked me some time but i Finaly got it tanks that's mi first 1K!!!

wildwest08
09-11-2009, 10:08 AM
this was the best method as i finally figured out how to get penalty shots but the goalie kept saving them like 10 in a row. then i lowered his stats and boom next penalty it was the end of this easy game :)

spazzimodo
09-13-2009, 10:24 PM
omg wtf ive tried soo may times i occasionly get a breakaway cos te team dusnt move up and secondly when i do the defenders very nicely jus slowly push me into the keeper wt do i do??? or wt am i doing wrong??

J3E2F8F7
10-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Worked Perfect. Took me 3 tries, but i got it :)

Beyond The Game
10-27-2009, 01:19 AM
Just would like to thank the OP. This is a fantastic tip just borrowed the game off a friend and got the 1000/1000 in 45 minutes or so. Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. As an earlier poster did lowering the nerve and poise does helps you seem to get the penalty shots more often.

Thanks once again

Method
10-29-2009, 03:20 AM
omg wtf ive tried soo may times i occasionly get a breakaway cos te team dusnt move up and secondly when i do the defenders very nicely jus slowly push me into the keeper wt do i do??? or wt am i doing wrong?? I did everything the OP said and was having this problem too. That or I couldn't get a breakaway because I wasn't fast enough. The thing you also need to do that isn't mentioned in the OP is to go into the settings and turn all the Human settings to the max and all the CPU settings the the minimum. Once you do that you'll get breakaway after breakaway to hopefully get a penalty committed against you.

Thanks to everyone who contributed in this thread BTW, it saved me from having to buy another controller to have four total.

jonesat
11-06-2009, 08:51 PM
playing in arcade mode helped a ton!!

Mr914
11-10-2009, 04:22 AM
Finally got this freakin' achievement......after trying for a few hours I decided to read this entire thread. Crazy how I tweaked the OP settings plus some others as Nerve, Poise and Aggressiveness (Edit: Meant to add that I got this idea from the users above, not my idea) then I got three penalty shots in one game. Finally made it on the third.....Thanks everyone as well for a good thread.

CJflush87
11-28-2009, 04:47 PM
wow this is a great tip!!! thanks alot...wasnt getting any penalties against me at first because penalties were turned off somehow...turned them on, got it in about 11 seconds...wow, i rented this a long time ago and just needed this last achievement...picked it up from gamestop for $2.99 last nite and finally finished it...thanks alot!!!

spunyun
12-11-2009, 04:30 AM
I couldn't get the AI to penalty me while holding X. Got it pretty quick with a 2nd controller although it was awkward at first only took 3-4 tries I think. Makes the shot easier when you finally get it too cause all you have to do is click the R stick in and you control the goalie.

knifetotheeye
12-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Sorry to dredge up an ancient topic but just wanted to say thanks to the original poster - this method worked a treat when all else failed - should have the guide changed with this info IMO.

DiegoCaldo
12-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Great Method. Took me around 15 minutes. Thanks a lot!

mehateme
02-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Used this method to, remember all penalty max out. And worst part for me was. I didn't just get the penalty shot once, or twice. No i even got it a third, fourth and fifth. Then i finally made it. Took me around 1hour 45mins to close game :)

16KINGBILLY90
06-25-2010, 12:48 AM
roguerogue1 i fuking love you dude had this game for years and only one i never had was penalty shot, done what you said and 1st atempt penalty pity i cant take them well so took a few atempts but awesome advice

RK1 R33D
07-20-2010, 03:46 PM
I have to say thank you for these tips. I was having problems with doing this, but after I changed roster and tried a game doing what you said it wasn't working very well. I decided to basically lure them into my side of the ice then steal and sprint toward the goal, stop and try to take a shot and that worked twice.

Problem was, on my first shot I was a dumbass and missed the goal because I figured I could skate around the goal (I know you can't do it in NHL, but I figured I'd try in game). Second attempt was just a straight up miss, went right then left and tried for a wrist shot. Didn't get another chance that game because it seemed that even though I was in front of the goal, Denmark would just get 2:00 penalties.

Second game, straight from taking the puck I flew toward the goal, stopped to take shot then hit from behind. 6 seconds into the game, juked left then right and boom straight in. Easy 250G when you figure out what to do :)

BLQQDCQRE
08-15-2010, 02:37 AM
[

It took an hour of easy frustration. HA HA. Never tried the other methods I seen on the forums, but I like to say this method worked PERFECT. Some notes of mine that may help.

1. Do what R.R says in his post, While holding X, after holding turbo and releasing it *LT - RIGHT AFTER CROSSING THE BLUE LINE and almost passing all the Denmark team. Hold X.. keep holding it. I held it for like 7 seconds and then they pushed me.

2. If you hold behind your net and wait. Sometimes 2 Denmark players will charge after one is trying to get past your goalie. If none appear get ready to charge left or right or sometimes breakaway * Almost always there is 2 guys right behind the blue line next to their goalie. *closer to their goalie. start holding x and the guy your think your got away from will come and stick ya.

3. Do this 3 times within 2 min apart. * I think. * when Denmark players our in there foul pens. Like a combo string of fouls or something. Then i got Sticked not shoved. My hockey dude went in the middle of the rink.

4. I made it first try Thank god.

5. Make sure all your penalty sliders are all the way up from the in game menu.

6. GOOD luck and thanks again Rouge Rogue. took me a hour of
;);)easy frustration.:mad::mad:

mortug
08-29-2010, 07:33 AM
i'm about to throw this game out of the window. followed the guide step by step
still no cheevo. i are n00b

Veilor
09-02-2010, 08:27 PM
What am I doing wrong? I change the freakin attributes, start a game and nothing is changed. I go back and check the rooster and everything's reset. Can someone tell me what the hell I do wrong?

Vitality gauge
10-17-2010, 12:01 AM
Just unlocked this thanks to thread starters guide, thank you so much . Brian leetch !!!

hardyz314
10-17-2010, 02:57 AM
Thanks a lot to Rouge, this guide was amazing and much better than those terrible 2 controller guides that never worked. So cheers! :)
Now on to MLB 2k6. :(

E vee dub
11-03-2010, 06:51 AM
I cannot get fouled by the CPU players. I've skated past all the defenders past the blue line, held X, gotten pushed, and pushed, but no foul.
Been playing for about 4 hours now and I've never seen a Penalty Shot in the game.

EDIT: Yesss! I got it.
I just restarted my game, double checked my stats, then tried again. I skated past the defense then held X and they pushed me in the back. I had to do 3 penalty shots and I got it on my 3rd attempt.

NHL 2K6 ... 1000G.

BangBangBang
11-15-2010, 09:26 AM
I tried and tried with this for about an hour. I couldn't get fast enough to get past the 2 defenders of the Denmark team. I would try in vain to still hold X to lure the penalty. Just a penalty and being sent to the box, and no shot.

What I finally did to get the boost i needed was setting the "Setup Options" -> "Gameplay-Human". Move all the SPEED BURST sliders up. Move them all down for the CPU. Also move the CPU's Goalie sliders on this "Gameplay-CPU" screen. Once I did this, it only took a couple minutes to get past those defenders, Hold X, and then get a penalty shot.....then scored on my first attempt.

Hope this helps.
:Bounce:

NovusRedemptor
12-08-2010, 04:04 AM
Just did this in one try thanks to your method. Thanks much.

tspires01
12-09-2010, 10:16 PM
after months of trying...this method got me the final 250g. thank you sir!

Ratdart
12-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Thank you!

Also I dont know ifthis was stated but you can use the bumpers to lower/raise stats by 10 at a time making adjusting Denmark's whole roster a 5 minute process.

bobafett_esb
02-10-2011, 01:22 AM

This was the hardest achievement in the game. Was all the setup necessary? Did it work for me?.....Yes. You be the judge.

It did take a few tries before I even got a penalty shot. Missed on the first one. Got a second chance about a minute later. Nailed that one for the 250G!

Rcurtis17
03-19-2011, 06:41 PM
YES!!! FINALLY GOT THIS D*!% ACHIEVEMENT after 3 days! lol.... Anyway, I know this is an old post and older game, but I'm sure many people will pick this game up for the achievements still that have yet to play it. And although I have read through almost this entire thread looking for ways to get this easier, I didnt notice one thing that I figured out in my gameplay that helped out a ton in getting the breakaway sooo much easier. They do have guides for people with multiple controllers and if you have 4 controllers I suggest you use one of those guides. I'm sure its way easier. As for me I only have 2 contollers so I opted for this way. Anyways to business:

PART 1: First off, follow all the settings and roster changes stated in the very first post and starter of the thread RougeRogue, Thanks to him for starting the thread years ago, otherwise I probably still wouldnt have this achievement. I don't think it matters what team you choose as yours just make sure to edit their stats all the way up. Also before starting the game make sure to go to options, then setup, then turn skill too allstar, I put my period length to 20 mins(just gives you more time), make sure penalties are on, then press RT for the next page, turn all penalties all the way up, and I put penalty length at 2 mins(just made it easier with less people on the ice at a time to me). Then back out and make sure to save all settings, rosters, etc.. In case you wanna change everything and try the game later. You can always clear it from the hard drive when finished.

PART 2: Next, I found this idea deeper around the middle of the thread posted by and thanks to Blingcannon. "-Next max your team's sliders in the options in the "play now"...things like boost duration, boost effect, etc. Do the opposite for the CPU." Basically start up a game at this time and once it has begun and you have the puck, press pause and go to options, then setup like you are going to change settings. Now you will see setup options menu like you did the first time, press RT 3 times to get to the GAMEPLAY-HUMAN page. Put all your speed options all the way up, fatigue effect down, shot accuracy up, and puck control up. Now press RT again to get to GAMEPLAY-CPU, and do the oposite on their stats, Ex: all speed stuff down, etc. ALso, I would turn goalie skill down, shot blocking down, and all goalie options down. BAM! now your done with that.

Now on too getting a breakaway easier.....

This is the method I used and it worked like a charm for me. 3 out of 6 or 7 times. Yes it took three tries to make the penalty shot. lol. And I did not see anyone use this method.

PART 3: Like I said before less people on the ice easier it is, so try to get their people penalties and off the ice. Once this is done, get the puck and run to your goalie and pretty much touch him so he gets the puck. Now make him hold it until the call puck freeze and you have to do a face-off. The face-off is on your side so everyone is over there. I make sure to change who I am during the face off so my guy always wins it. As soon as play starts get the puck and race to the other teams goal. You should beat them almost every time and make sure you are past the blue line, let go of RT and press and hold X until they foul you, also make sure you slow down and don't run into the goalie. If it doesnt work the first time, rinse and repeat. I can pretty much gurantee you should beat them to there side pretty much everytime during a face-off on your side.

There ya have it... After a few tries, you should have this achievement. Yes, it's a long post, but without all these settings and such, this achievement would be near impposible. Trust me, after reading through the entire thread I figured I would make it easier and put all the useful stuff on one post all together.

Credit and thanks for the first part goes to RougeRogue and for starting the thread.
Credit and thanks for part two goes to Blingcannon for his additional help and more setting changes.

GOOD LUCK

ConstantC4RN4GE
04-16-2013, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the guide! This method worked perfectly. Solo is the way to go. I actually got this achievement before getting 2man down and breakaway because I changed stats before my first game. Not as difficult as many people on here make it out to be.