PDA

View Full Version : The recent problemo with too many members

xfrancox
06-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Most of us know theres a problem with this, and I know you guys have been talking about it. I was curious though. I frequent another forum thats for downloading things for macs, and they have a cool system set up. Certain parts of the board and certain privileges are locked off to members who do not meet a specific post count. Is it possible to do this with this board? Maybe it might help. What do you think.

Webb
06-04-2006, 11:40 PM
Totally agree mate. Something needs to be done.

I've noticed an increase in useless posts, duplicated threads where the question has been asked before.

I mean, some topics in the off topic are ridiculous, especially for alot of us senior members.

TimidKillah
06-04-2006, 11:41 PM
I think its a maturity issue....

Webb
06-04-2006, 11:47 PM
Definitely Timid, my sentiments exactly. The site started off with mature gamers, say 20+ and has now attracted gamers that are 9!!!!!!

There ought to be an age limit on the forum! Cause frankly, some of it can be offensive to the younger generation.

I mean, how can a 9 yr old, post about Hitman that is rated Mature!!!!!

xfrancox
06-04-2006, 11:47 PM
I definitely agree with both of you. It really bugs me because this forum has always been a favorite of mine. There really werent any jerks and it was actually fun to read everyday. As far as "unlockable" parts of the forum, I like the idea, only downside is it might encourage people to post useless stuff just to raise their post count. Not to mention I dont have a very high count even though I have been here for quite a while, haha.

xfrancox
06-04-2006, 11:48 PM
Definitely Timid, my sentiments exactly. The site started off with mature gamers, say 20+ and has now attracted gamers that are 9!!!!!!

There ought to be an age limit on the forum! Cause frankly, some of it can be offensive to the younger generation.

I mean, how can a 9 yr old, post about Hitman that is rated Mature!!!!!

How would you enforce that? Cause its easy enough to just say youre old enough.

Webb
06-04-2006, 11:51 PM
There ought to be a vetting system, where only certain members, age may be being a part of whether they can post or view or what not.

I know your post count isn't that high Franco, but I do consider you one of the "valued" posters.

Webb
06-04-2006, 11:52 PM
How would you enforce that? Cause its easy enough to just say youre old enough.

Minty did suggest credit card authorisation, but that would be a bit complicated and not everyone old enough has a credit card.

xfrancox
06-04-2006, 11:57 PM
I know your post count isn't that high Franco, but I do consider you one of the "valued" posters.

haha, thanks.

Minty did suggest credit card authorisation, but that would be a bit complicated and not everyone old enough has a credit card.

Yea it seems like a good idea, but I could see there being some problems with that. Not to mention I dont know if anyone would feel comfortable putting their credit card numbers out there on a site that may not be completely secure. No offense to the site, but its not a bank, haha.

Webb
06-05-2006, 12:00 AM
True true. There must be some way around this. Any other suggestions are welcomed at this point. I'm sure this thread will grow with opinion over the next day or two.

I just feel something needs to be done otherwise the forum will lose valued members quickly, me being tempted at this moment to post elsewhere.

I've noticed that big members like DarkLife, Nukeshell have stopped posting, if they do, it's once in a blue moon.

TimidKillah
06-05-2006, 12:11 AM
I've noticed that big members like DarkLife, Nukeshell have stopped posting, if they do, it's once in a blue moon.

Yeah... I've also noticed that 'the regulars' that were posting with great input, when I joined, have mostly disappeared. Heck, I'm supposed to be in a rivalry and I haven't seen him lately either.

Webb
06-05-2006, 12:16 AM
I forgot to mention Spider, he's another one we've lost.

Heck, even the likes of DJHUNTER, Knuckles, Crash don't post that often now! Even Graf1k, doadea, Bloodbunnies, PaleGringo, Lonsta, pmpboarder don't bother to post anymore!

Something is pushing these users away, and I think that this something is coming to light now!

xfrancox
06-05-2006, 12:16 AM

I was just thinking about that today as well, its weird.

Also I have to point out, not every new member lately sucks, haha. There have been some additions to the site that I happily welcome.

Webb
06-05-2006, 12:18 AM
Don't get me wrong, I welcome new members with open arms, but the place is just getting cluttered with repeated bull shit.

Take the Hitman thread for example, so many of the questions have been answered, again and again, and again!!!

thieflordgamer
06-05-2006, 12:18 AM
ya, i noticed when i came back that spider ny hasnt been on. nyway...

hey, don't blame me for any spammin, i havent been on for like a month. no, but seriously, im 13 and ive been here a while, and i dont wanna be cut off from the forums cuz of my age. ive made friends (and a couple enemies) here and theres interesting news as well as entertaining threads. there has to be a way to test ppls maturity.... i know! make a 20 question maturity test with questions like "what do u do in this situation..." and if they fail, they get to go to the mini-forum, and they can take it again in 2 weeks if they have gotten 50 posts in those 2 weeks, and if they pass they come to the big forum!

thats actually a really dumb idea, but ill think about something. im sure routinex can help us with a solution, he always does.

Webb
06-05-2006, 12:22 AM
Yeah... I've also noticed that 'the regulars' that were posting with great input, when I joined, have mostly disappeared. Heck, I'm supposed to be in a rivalry and I haven't seen him lately either.

I just noticed that SpideR hasn't been on his 360 since the 20th of May so that might explain his disappearance from the forum.

But doesn't account for the rest.

Helacool360
06-05-2006, 12:23 AM
Yea I have noticed a decrease in posts by regular users. Maybe they just have so much going on and they don't feel the need to come here anymore. Me on the other hand, I have no life so I can come and post everyday. If you dont see me post in a week chances are I'm dead:p

thieflordgamer
06-05-2006, 12:23 AM
i remember k_dog came around march/aprilish i think, and look at him now.

why bloodybunnies isnt on confuses me. he's the only one with 150-200$ award on the site. also, out of the pure kindness of his heart i suppose, he said that since i was young, probably with not a lot of money, it would be hard 2 keep up with the gaming world, and he offered 2 buy me a game. i told him no, but he insisted! so i chose graw, and i got it! he also mentioned to me he was in the U.S. army or navy or somthin, maybe thats why hes not on.

ive also noticed crash 27's been on xbox live a lot, maybe he's busy rackin up those achievements.

xfrancox
06-05-2006, 12:30 AM
PaleGringo posted recently for the first time in a month, I remember him from the .com site.

Oh and the forum I was talking about is here http://www.codez4mac.com/, of course you wont be able to see most of it because you need to post a certain amount. But you can get an idea of how they do things.

Webb
06-05-2006, 12:31 AM
i remember k_dog came around march/aprilish i think, and look at him now.

why bloodybunnies isnt on confuses me. he's the only one with 150-200$ award on the site. also, out of the pure kindness of his heart i suppose, he said that since i was young, probably with not a lot of money, it would be hard 2 keep up with the gaming world, and he offered 2 buy me a game. i told him no, but he insisted! so i chose graw, and i got it! he also mentioned to me he was in the U.S. army or navy or somthin, maybe thats why hes not on.

ive also noticed crash 27's been on xbox live a lot, maybe he's busy rackin up those achievements.

I thought Bloodbunnies was a woman?

Plus K-Dog's been here since Feb according to his profile, which was around the beginning of this new site. So why you mentioned K-Dog, I don't know!

Just because someone is on Live all the time does not mean they can't post. Others do both.

Webb
06-05-2006, 12:32 AM
PaleGringo posted recently for the first time in a month, I remember him from the .com site.

Oh and the forum I was talking about is here http://www.codez4mac.com/, of course you wont be able to see most of it because you need to post a certain amount. But you can get an idea of how they do things.

And that site has 12,000 active members! And they don't have a problem!

Webb
06-05-2006, 12:35 AM
Man their rules are awesome. http://www.codez4mac.com/rules/

Post Count http://www.codez4mac.com/rules/images/spf.png
(http://www.codez4mac.com/rules/%7Bcatrow.forumrow.U_VIEWFORUM%7D)[1] Post counts are used by the forum staff to track member progress, as well as determine forum access. This website's success relies solely on the contribution of its members. Therefore, we have always believed that quality is far superior to quantity. [2] For this reason, we strongly discourage posting consistently for gratitude. [3] Members who do not choose to post constructively will have access to the forums, but only for a limited time. [4] Please note that inactive members will be pruned from our member list. To avoid this we encourage our member to post and help others, which will lead to the access of more forums and features.
http://www.codez4mac.com/rules/images/spf.png Trashed Posts http://www.codez4mac.com/rules/images/spf.png
(http://www.codez4mac.com/rules/%7Bcatrow.forumrow.U_VIEWFORUM%7D)[1] Posts in violation of these rules will either be deleted without warning or properly relocated to the c4m trash forum for the learning benefit of the bemused member. [2] Do not spam the board. Posts considered spam will be deleted promptly. Those who spam will either loose their entire post count, receive a warning or be banned without notice. [3] Posts without considerable benefit will be deleted regularly, such as jokes, casual replies and posts of gratitude. [4] Also, to maintain the board’s orderliness posts may be pruned from time to time, sometimes resulting in the deduction of member post counts.

Well put!!!!

thieflordgamer
06-05-2006, 12:37 AM
o, my bad, i just remember k_dog joining later than the beginning, must have remembered it wrong.

and ya, i no just cuz theyre on live doesnt mean they cant post... just trying to figure out the mystery of the missing members....

i dont THINK bloodybunnies was a girl..... maybe ur thinkin of kolya? i think her nickname was "the bunny girl" or somthin. i dunno, its possible... ha i just never really thought to say "so ur a guy rite?"

xfrancox
06-05-2006, 12:39 AM
Yea man, they run a tight ship.

thieflordgamer
06-05-2006, 12:40 AM
ya those r great... just wouldnt want mods to overuse their power and ban someone for a dum reason when they could just be warned or have it deleted, unless its serious of course.

and as for no posts that are jokes... our site would be in trouble. but otherwise those are great rules.

Webb
06-05-2006, 12:44 AM
They were just an example of a set of good rules. Banter is good for the site, but spam is not!

We need to create a tight knit community where the information is concise and it is a joy to post and get involved.

Mod's wouldn't abuse their power if the powers were granted to responsible mature individuals.

Helacool360
06-05-2006, 12:46 AM
If someone is idle for 2 weeks or more, I think their account should either be deleted or made inactive. We need the majority to be active. If there is a system like this eventually then I feel we need something else also. I think the forums and achievement releated topics should be private for all non-members. Many of you probably think that people will join just to have access to the topics and view achievement stuff. Well if they don't have enough posts or they are inactive, delete the account.

Also I remember Bloodybunnies helping me with a GRAW problem on mic and he was surely a guy.

thieflordgamer
06-05-2006, 12:52 AM
yes, but.... theres at least one mod i know that might not um.... fit the maturity bill. im not sayin names, dont want grudges held against me.

and yes, spam has gone up, first with oblivion (too many already answered questions) and now hitman. and there was that one thing where the person went berserk over the dude who scammed ppl for wins 4 achievements and then quit. that mustve pissed GT off when he had 2 delete all those.

btw at the bottom of the main forums page, it says 561 active members. what is that like the members who have been on in the last week or 2? that means that ppl come on to look, they just don't post.

HIGHLANDER7
06-05-2006, 01:16 AM
I think that doing something about this problem would be a good idea in some cases but not all. What I mean is that there are a few younger people who are just being dicks and trying to cause trouble but not all of them are. I am only 14 and nobody has ever seemed to have a problem with me. The same goes for people like KMB 316, thieflordgamer, GT, and many more. Also I think that Helacool's idea would work alright but what about people have to be gone for a long time? For example I'm gone camping from the 10th to 23rd of July and won't have internet access.

xfrancox
06-05-2006, 01:20 AM
Maybe if you have over a certain amount of posts, 50 or 100 lets say, you dont qualify for having your account deleted due to inactivity. That way we get rid of members who only joined to post a few times.

Helacool360
06-05-2006, 01:27 AM
In regards to Highlander's question, if someone has to be inactive for awhile for whatever reason, what if that person informed the admin. ahead of time so the account wouldn't be deleted or marked inactive.

thieflordgamer
06-05-2006, 01:29 AM
well said highlander. and ya, i'm gone for more than 2 weeks twice in the summer, so what franco said is a good idea.

but it might be hard for the admin to keep up with evry1 who's away and when they get back. and if there was a button u pushed and said that u would be off for a while, when u really wont be, we wouldnt be any the wiser. it might help some if we made it so if they said they were gone, they couldnt access the forums until they were "back" and they couldnt change the date they were coming back on.

HIGHLANDER7
06-05-2006, 01:54 AM
I think that, in order to lessen the clutter of useless posts, some sort of section where people can be dicks and make fun of each other and stuff should be made. It could be called the Imperial Arena of smack talking.:D

k_dog
06-05-2006, 01:57 AM
As for my status, I joined 2 days after the new forum was up and running. I've been around since the beginning.

Crash views the forums daily because he's one of the people I speak with daily. He still submits helpfull information for the Sites achievement tracking.
He's still around.

As for Bunnies, he hasn't been on his XBox much either, but some of you have to remember, he IS and active marine. And no, he's not a woman.

graf1k has lost some willpower toward achievements all together. He feels that his GS is high enough for him to be proud of and he feels that he'll never be ablie to catch anybody higher. He still plays his box for recreation and I still talk with him daily.

As far as DL, Spider NY, and some others, I can't speak for them as I havent the slightest clue.

The recient flood of useless information may have been a cause but it is hard to tell. I have been speaking with Routine about this and we have been discussing all of your concerns. We want you to know that we are addressing it and it is not being ignored. :)

k_dog
06-05-2006, 02:01 AM
I think that, in order to lessen the clutter of useless posts, some sort of section where people can be dicks and make fun of each other and stuff should be made. It could be called the Imperial Arena of smack talking.:D

We have a forum like this at af.com. But after some talking w/Routine, we're not entirely sure if it would work out. Maybe we might have to reconsider.

Mind you, this typw of forum would be HEAVILY moderated and have a strict set of rules accordingly.

Didn't the old site have a thread for that?

Maka
06-05-2006, 02:04 AM
Sounds, good.. you're a member for 50+ posts you're on for good. There shouldn't be an age limit, but there has to be something done about the little immature kids... I'm only 14... but I'm not all stupid, and posting all this nonsense

xfrancox
06-05-2006, 02:06 AM
Yea it was called smack talk. So k_dog, any info you can give us on what you guys have in mind for this problem?

Maka
06-05-2006, 02:10 AM
I would like too add that, i don't think inform the admin would be the greatest idea, because, i was inactive for about 2-3 weeks because of a computer problem, and i had no way of contacting routine or anybody else.....

thieflordgamer
06-05-2006, 02:10 AM
ya, (sry i confused ur join date kdog) routinex should come on and we could work something out, we're just spitting out ideas without him.

and btw, if u havent noticed the "report bad post" button, its on every post but ur own. this is a good tool for us loyal members who arent mods, in case u just havent seen it i mentioned it.

Maka
06-05-2006, 02:11 AM
Probably sleeping... i think it's like he middle of the night in and around europe

thieflordgamer
06-05-2006, 02:13 AM
ya, i didnt mean right now, its 9:12 here in texas, u.s.

Maka
06-05-2006, 02:16 AM
10:15 Toronto

k_dog
06-05-2006, 02:19 AM
Well while discussing it, we discovered that the site has no direct ToS for the members to view.

ToS is "Terms of Service" for those unfamiliar with forum lingo. Most major forums have it, and if you are unaware of what they are, let me give you a quick overview.

Basicly it's the guidelines you abide by and agree to durring your registration process for the services offered by the web site. Theses sevices may include content, the ability to be an active member, participate in any tournaments and web site activites with rewards.

For example, here is af.com ToS:

Automotive Forums .com Rules Registration to this Community is free! However, we do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please press the Agree button at the end of the page.
Note: By pressing the button you declare that you are over the age of 13. We do not allow members under the age of 13 to join this community. Anyone found violating this rule will lose their membership and their account will be frozen.
Although the administrators and moderators of the Automotive Forums .com will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and Automotive Forums .com will NOT be held responsible for the content of any message.
COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

This is a community of automotive enthusiasts. Watch your P's and Q's when you write and use emotion icons if you think someone might take something you say offensively.
RESPECT IS THE KEY
The Automotive Forums .com (AF) is a place where it's okay to be yourself -- be that harried, jovial, silly or sad -- as long as you always act with respect towards your fellow AFers. We promise that you won't have to leave your personality at the door. We promise to bring passion to our work and to our community and to act with appreciation for our members. We will listen willingly to your suggestions and complaints, and try to incorporate your ideas in everything we do.
Pretend you run these forums, ok so in essence you do. Before you hit the submit button think if you would allow that post on your site or on your forums. Only you can prevent Spam and cross posting. AF Staff are here to help you so if you have a problem e-mail it or post your request in the forums. We have many members that have knowledge in various areas. They are all willing to help you at the drop of a hat.
If you've been caught or accused of a wrongdoing don't get irrational. Most of the time we revoke privileges as a safety measure not as a personal vendetta and we are usually just as quick to reinstate them, as we were to revoke them. Just e-mail us and ask what happened. If you know what happened write your side of the story and tell us why you think it was ok or why you know it was wrong.
Please keep these Guidelines in mind:

WELCOME NEWCOMERS
When newcomers arrive, welcome them to our growing community. Many of our community's "elders" (regardless of age) are a wealth of knowledge and have much to share. Help new members learn about how to find information and resources, save time, and how to get involved in the community.
DON'T ATTACK EACH OTHER
Don't attack others. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult and personal attack.
KEEP PERSONAL INFORMATION PERSONAL
Think before you post or speak: Do you really want to put your address or telephone number on a public discussion forum or to share it during a live chat? We encourage you to keep personal information personal.
Similarly, do not ask for personal information from others. Discussion forum posts that request members to submit personal information to another party will be removed. Information that should be considered personal includes but is not limited to your home phone number, name, and age. If you must give this out for any reason, please do so privately.
KEEP YOUR POSTS CLEAN
There may be places where explicit, obscene or vulgar language, graphics or behavior is appropriate however Automotive Forums .com is not one of them. Discussion forum posts that contain explicit, obscene or vulgar language will be removed. Similarly, discussion forum posts that solicit or offer explicit or X-rated GIFs, JPEGs or similar content files will be deleted without notice!
BE COURTEOUS: AVOID DUPLICATE POSTS
Do not post the same discussion more than once on a discussion forum or on many forums. Duplicate discussions can be frustrating for other members, especially for those whose time and energy is limited. Weeding through the same discussion in multiple locations can be not only frustrating, but down right annoying. Duplicate discussions will be deleted. Reposting the same message repeatedly can be interpreted as SPAM and could result in the loss of your membership. Also be conscious of your fellow members and avoid making meaningless posts for the sole purpose of increasing your post count.
POSTING EDIQUETTE:
AutomotiveForums.com is a professional community where members expect to read posts with correct grammar and practical sentence structure. If you cannot post clearly, or coherently, you will be given notice to do so. If you ignore this notice and continue to post incoherently, your posting rights will be removed.
POSTING IN CLOSED OR OUTDATED THREADS:
If a thread has been closed, there is probably a logical reason for it. If you feel that the reason(s) for closure of the original thread are unjustified or wish further clarification feel free to contact any member of the moderating team. However, do not start a new thread about another closed thread.
Please avoid posting or voting in outdated threads. It merely clutters up the message board and makes it more difficult for fellow members to sort through the vast amount of information contained on the boards. If you have new and important information to add regarding a past discussion, feel free to start a new thread.
ADVERTISING
Advertising is prohibited on the forums. Your membership will be revoked at first such offense.
SIGNATURES
Each members has the ability to display a signature. Please keep your signature clean, just like the posts. Also, if you choose to create a signature for yourself, please keep it within a reasonable size. It is inconsiderate to your fellow AFers to place a book of a signature in between every post.
TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP
Upon the submittal of each post on Automotive Forums .com you give Automotive Forums .com and/or its partners the permission to reproduce any part of your post in any form, for any purpose, and at any time.
IF YOU ARE CONTACTED BY A MODERATOR:
If you have been contacted by a member of the moderating team, either through Private Message (PM) or email about your conduct here at AutomotiveForums.com, chances are you have violated part(s) of the User Guidelines. If you wish to maintain your membership and continue to enjoy AF, it is imperative that you do not disregard warnings given by moderators. If you feel that the warning is unwarranted feel free to contact any moderator or administrator for dispute resolution.
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT
Automotive Forums .com reserves the right to remove a post which does not relate to the topic being discussed in the forum. In addition, AutomotiveForums.com reserves the right to organize discussion forums in order to best serve the majority of our members. For example, narrow-interest or minimal activity topics may, at AF's discretion, be relocated to a more appropriate discussion forum, or deleted entirely.
Automotive Forums .com also reserves the right to prohibit or delete discussions that are thought to violate applicable law or that may be harmful to other members, the sites that comprise Automotive Forums .com, or the rights of Automotive Forums .com or others. That said, Automotive Forums .com does not have the practical ability to restrict conduct or communications that might violate these Guidelines prior to transmission on AOL or the Web, nor can we ensure prompt removal of offending discussion forum posts.
We also reserve the right to remove your membership should you violate these Guidelines.
The owners of Automotive Forums .com have the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

As you can see, we don't have anything like this, but we also noted that each member IS required to submit their age upon registration and under US law, anyone under the age of 13 is NOT allowed.

thieflordgamer
06-05-2006, 02:29 AM
so i guess i'm a felon, huh?:) well, if u wish to contact me further, i will have escaped from the law in canada under the name bob snider.

guess that sux for me, maybe we could wait a year before putting these ToS into effect, heh.

o wait, u said UNDER the age of 13. nvm, i'm cool lol.

g4m3r7ag
06-05-2006, 03:24 AM
the inactivity thing sounds good to me but we will have to see what routine says.

heres how it should be, if you are inactive for two weeks, then your account should become inactive, and an email will be dispatched to you with a link to reactivate it. if that link is not clicked on within a month you should have to contact an admin to get it reactivated (not sure if thats possible) and if an admin is not contacted within two weeks then the account should be deleted, giving you a whole 2 months before the account is deleted to get it reactivated.

thieflordgamer
06-05-2006, 03:35 AM
ya, that sounds good. and if possible, maybe a message on xbox live, but then the admin would have to actually type it and send it so probably not.

KilluhKam
06-05-2006, 03:39 AM
Most of us know theres a problem with this, and I know you guys have been talking about it. I was curious though. I frequent another forum thats for downloading things for macs, and they have a cool system set up. Certain parts of the board and certain privileges are locked off to members who do not meet a specific post count. Is it possible to do this with this board? Maybe it might help. What do you think.

dosnt gamespot have like levels or something? like after a certain amount of posts your level goes up? or something like that thats what we should do like every 20 posts or so your level goes up and you have to be a certain level to get to certain areas (or have it like an RPG and when you level you have to get so many more posts then before to gain a level)

thieflordgamer
06-05-2006, 04:53 AM
yes, as long as its not higher than, say, 100 posts for the best area. i think 100 posts proves ur not just joining and never participating in the site. this number is arguable, tho.

xfrancox
06-05-2006, 05:25 AM
100 sounds good. I also feel like 2 months to stop your account from being deleted is too lenient. It should go by your post count. Thats just my opinion though.

thieflordgamer
06-05-2006, 05:51 AM
ya ur right. like ur posts buy you more days. i don't mean ur post count goes down to buy those days, of course. maybe u could get a base time period of 1 week, if u have under 50 posts, but 2 weeks if u have at least 50 posts, and then u can get extra days, like maybe 10 posts per day or something like that. so 60 posts is 2 weeks and one day, etc. i'm just giving examples of numbers, of course, just a general idea. unfortunately, our good buddy who we need here isn't near our time zone.

Minty
06-05-2006, 06:31 AM
the spamming problem could be sorted by blocking 1 or 2 members. they know this, as this is the only post they seem not to have posted in/dragged up/started on the forum recently.

scoobydiesel
06-05-2006, 07:02 AM
I havnt been around nearly as much....But im just a talker...i dont post to much info.

But i think we should go by post count and how well we know one another(like i know a few really cool people on here that was here the frist day or two) that way we get into the "secret hide out"

Also I think we just need more mature and work ative mods, but they also need a ToS/rules go follow and be mature about.

What im saying have basicly been said but id just like toss my two cents in.

and if anything is done about inactive members i hope there is at least an email, iv had my account delted in other places without warning becuase i wasnt on in a month, that stuff really sucks.

snafegeeza
06-05-2006, 08:45 AM
This is definatly a good idea. Ive only been a member for about 4 or 5 months but I value this site immensely. When I first joined there was so much usefull information, tips and help with achievements. I have not contributed a great amount but I plan too in the future and on upcoming titles. I like being involved in this community and have met some very decent people on here who share an interest in one of my favorite pass times. Recently though this community has not been so tight knitt as spam and imaturity have flooded the forums. I think the forum should be cleaned up of spam and threads with only one post. Then the idea that kdog has will probably be the only one that works although I like gt's idea too.

I post on this forum to talk to mature gamers and all round decent people, not kids who post crap. :(

P1NSEEKER
06-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Reading through this thread has been very interesting and some good points have been made i think this kind of problem isnt an easy thing to solve. could we have a board (or 2!) just for invited members so only a select bunch of invited members can access and post on there?

It seems a shame that its come to the stage of having to segregate the boards but when you look at the ratio of registered users to active members its clear that some people register simply to ask 1 question or to get on the leader board and clearly something needs to be done about this.

RoutineX
06-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Hey, sorry for the late response. Havent been much at the computer this weekend. Have a big programming project due tomorrow (6/6-06) (dun-dun-duuun).

Regarding the age. Like many of you say. Age is not necessarily a factor of the quality of the post, so if Peter (13) and Olga (86) want to join the forums, they are both welcome, but still have to play by the same rules. Well we havent set up any rules (other than the ones you agree with upon registration), but there's a lot of rules that should be obvious.

Inactivity
Registered users doesnt take that much server resources so I don't see the point with deleting users that arent active within a short amount of time.Some times we cant be around as much as usual, take these days for instance. For all of you going to school, we all have our final exams to take care of, so we cant be logged on as much. We have people in the army, have work where they travel alot and cant be as much around, people going on holiday, etc etc. If someone had a "reason" (not that they need a reason not posting on forums) for being away and saw that their account was deleted, if it was me, I would be pissed off and not re-register. But people who hasn't been doing anything for i.eg 3 months, I guess we wont see them again. And post count should have something to say in this matter. If someone has i.eg 1 post and been away for several months we probably wont see him again.

Postcount
I think people were posting a lot more before since the forum was new and there was a lot to talk about. If we want to keep the postcount up we need to have more discussions about other things than individual games. You can only talk so much about a game before repeating yourself. Sports/cars/politics/gaming generally, anything goes... but in the off topic section, please :p. I know there are a lot of xbox news sites on the web, but we could have some of the most interesting ones and have them on the main pages, and link to a forum post for discussion if wanted?

Spam
We've seen some users lately spamming in terms of just signing up to sell a lot of things, or just reply crap to threads. At first we didn't want to ban members, and just give warnings, but we can't be nice forever if the ones in question cant act like civil people.

Another problem that has come up is among others some race issues.
When someone says something that some people would be a offended by, the member get jumped by a lot of persons. I.eg a new member introducing and saying "nigga" or something, the racist flag comes up and total bashing towards the user. I'm not saying that its ok to be a racist, and I'm not justifying the word, but you have to judge what the person is saying by the whole post and how the person used the word and not only the word itself, and maybe just let the person know that "dude, i dont think its appropriate to say xxxx".

Another thing is spelling. We aren't all americans or from countries where English is our native language. And even if you are, you're still excused if you do write something that isn't grammatically correct. I'm sure my post has a lot of grammatically errors, misspellings and other things, but as long as a person makes his point, I don't see the point commenting insignificant errors. Only using slang and sloppy/lazy english is another thing though.

The AF forum rules looked sweet, and I guess its about time some additional rules are made.

Nukeshell
06-05-2006, 11:48 AM
This whole problem was the main reason for me not to post that often aymore, because at the beginning I was helping lot's of people out in different Games. But it seems that some people are just ignoring other Threads and make new ones right away. For example in the PDZ section, where lot's of different Threads were made about the bug in the Achievement system. That's why I've chosen not to post in the Game Boards anymore, it's just hopeless. Though, I'm still submitting Achievements like I did before. (You would have noticed that if you check the Front page News).

My Opinion:
- First of all I should stop with the useless Sections, like the Member Profiles, Top 5 Lists, Tournaments (Just ain't working) and Off-Topic.
Most of this stuff is useless and information related to a specific Member could be asked in a PM.
- The "General" board should be changed into General Xbox360 with sections like Games, Xbox360 Hardware and Xbox Live and Networking.
- There should be more Moderators which i.e. actually try to do something about spamming in the Games Board. (Delete every thread which already exists.)
- The Threads in the Games board should be more General instead of a different Thread for every single Achievement. (For example, threads related to Online and Offline Achievements or Secrets and Non-secrets.)

And again people, I'm still around and know about most stuff going on!;)

Waaaaaaaak
06-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Totally agree with Routine - Neither the poster's age or the lots of inactive users is the problem. I also think requiring members to make so many posts before the have full access to the site will ENCOURAGE MORE useless posts.

Just make DaWebb an 'Ultra (Hitler esq) Moderator' - ask him to check all posts. That way everyones happy! LOL

DJHUNTERD
06-05-2006, 12:39 PM
This whole problem was the main reason for me not to post that often aymore, because at the beginning I was helping lot's of people out in different Games. But it seems that some people are just ignoring other Threads and make new ones right away. For example in the PDZ section, where lot's of different Threads were made about the bug in the Achievement system. That's why I've chosen not to post in the Game Boards anymore, it's just hopeless. Though, I'm still submitting Achievements like I did before. (You would have noticed that if you check the Front page News).

My Opinion:
- First of all I should stop with the useless Sections, like the Member Profiles, Top 5 Lists, Tournaments (Just ain't working) and Off-Topic.
Most of this stuff is useless and information related to a specific Member could be asked in a PM.
- The "General" board should be changed into General Xbox360 with sections like Games, Xbox360 Hardware and Xbox Live and Networking.
- There should be more Moderators which i.e. actually try to do something about spamming in the Games Board. (Delete every thread which already exists.)
- The Threads in the Games board should be more General instead of a different Thread for every single Achievement. (For example, threads related to Online and Offline Achievements or Secrets and Non-secrets.)

And again people, I'm still around and know about most stuff going on!;)

You are right on point with my views too..;) I still visit and read but dont post much due to majority of topics about peoples lifes or useless stuff that they could just PM me about.. I PM DaWebb and Minty all the time to talk but just not forum wise anymore! I only post if i find something "unique" to post about that has not been covered by someone else. the only thing i would change about your idea is the thread for games should be broken into sections for "how to get" and another for "who wants to get". More mods for dedicated people to the site (a ranking of sort) to help sort out stuff would be beneficial too. I love this site and met many great people who i enjoy playing with but its to the point where other forums i search for stuff and here to piggyback information off of.:(

P.S. Sorry about the long post but had to let people know!!

Waaaaaaaak
06-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Seperating the threads even MORE will mean it's more confusling for new members. They'll end up posting in the wrong thread, get jumped on and never return.

Mind you - the thread is titled 'too many menbers'

snafegeeza
06-05-2006, 01:08 PM
The 'how to get' and 'who wants to get' achievements sections would be a good idea as the two are completly seperate issues and when they get crossed together a thread then becomes a little messy. I would also put a post number restriction on the 'who wants to get' section, this way avoiding people coming on and wanting one achievement, pairing up with someone and then never posting again. The number of f/r ive had from people who post once and want to do achievements with me, I dont even know most of them.

DJHUNTERD
06-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Seperating the threads even MORE will mean it's more confusling for new members. They'll end up posting in the wrong thread, get jumped on and never return.

Mind you - the thread is titled 'too many menbers'\

Not if there is a thread or screen that informs new members of "how to's" and forum directions upon profile set up. keep in mind this is an idea... not anything official. Seperating threads wouldn't be confusing.. ie..

PDZ ( 1 thread)
1 sub-forum for "who wants to get so and so achievement....."
1 sub-forum for "how to get so and so achievement...."

IDK though.. just shooting ideas!!!;) And people getting jumped on for posting wrong areas??? What are mods for then... just post topic moved to correct location and people who are consistantly fouling the system... BAM!! they're gone.

Nukeshell
06-05-2006, 01:28 PM

Mind you - the thread is titled 'too many menbers'
Moderators should tell people, which have posted in the wrong Thread, to ask their question in the right Thread and they won't do it the next time.

And the problem of the many inactive members is the messy forum. And we are trying to find a solution for all this.

DaKing240
06-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Agree with Routine...

However, I am getting annoyed with the poor English and run on sentences. I ask for people who can't spell, or use punctuation to use Microsoft Word first, run a spell check, and then copy/paste it to the forums.

Minty
06-05-2006, 01:39 PM
we used to have one before we upgraded to the new site.

and King, just noticed your sig :p

Crash
06-05-2006, 01:41 PM
...Heck, even the likes of DJHUNTER, Knuckles, Crash don't post that often now!...
Something is pushing these users away, and I think that this something is coming to light now!

I'm still around. Just gotten busy at work, which is where I did most of my posting from. And at home either my wife or my daughter are usually on the computer so I don't get a chance to check there. Once things slow down some you will see me around a lot more. ;)

It shows I'm online alot, but it seems like my system is on pause/idle half the time due to spending time with or taking care of my family. I'm always having to pause my game and go do something else.

Nukeshell
06-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Agree with Routine...

However, I am getting annoyed with the poor English and run on sentences. I ask for people who can't spell, or use punctuation to use Microsoft Word first, run a spell check, and then copy/paste it to the forums.
My English is pretty bad, I guess. That's because Dutch (I'm from The Netherlands) is my main language, but I'm to lazy to check every post!

snafegeeza
06-05-2006, 02:02 PM
You type good English to say your dutch, a lot of english/american members have trouble typing in there own language.

Crash - being a family man thats a hell of a gamerscore, I think my daughter will have left home before I get near your score.

Minty
06-05-2006, 02:14 PM
I think my daughter will have left home before I get near your score.

id just like to say in advance i had nothing to do with it!!

snafegeeza
06-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Your starting to scare me now minty.:mad:

ScottEvil30
06-05-2006, 03:12 PM
I kind of gave up reading this about halfway through page two as state of the board threads never venture beyond the tedious, I know as I have to endure more than enough of them at the main forum I requesnt.

Look mates, people leaving forums is part of the natural life of a forum. It doesn't matter whether you get rid of kids or not, doesn't matter whether you get rid of pointless posts or not. Its just something that does happen.

DaKing240
06-05-2006, 03:16 PM
My English is pretty bad, I guess. That's because Dutch (I'm from The Netherlands) is my main language, but I'm to lazy to check every post!

Your english is fine. I mean people who type like...

Ima whup sum NewBs tday, aight!

Minty
06-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Your english is fine. I mean people who type like...

Ima whup sum NewBs tday, aight!

by nice to my homeboys

we represent da west side innit for schizzle

Psycence
06-05-2006, 03:53 PM
*pimp slaps sense into everyone with an english dictionary*

Waaaaaaaak
06-05-2006, 04:03 PM
It seems we should have a 'Slag each other off' section in the General area. (It would probably see the most posts - at the moment)

Psycence
06-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Im telling you we need a specific flamefest section of the boards, where all retarded or flame filled threads can either be started or dumped in to by the mods.

If ya wanna argue do that shit in there so everyone else dont have to suffer it

Helacool360
06-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Reading through this thread has been very interesting and some good points have been made i think this kind of problem isnt an easy thing to solve. could we have a board (or 2!) just for invited members so only a select bunch of invited members can access and post on there?

This sounds like a good idea to me.

Webb
06-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Just make DaWebb an 'Ultra (Hitler esq) Moderator' - ask him to check all posts. That way everyones happy! LOL

LMFAO

BTW, before I rant, Nukeshell, your English is one of the best on the forum!

Right then <gathers breath>

1. SPAM - I don't think that age is necessarily a problem, although, I have noticed that the majority of the younger people are spamming, not saying all the young people. I swear this week i've looked at threads like, What Grades Do You Get, Where Do I Get A Job (from a 16yr old) which i reckon no-one would really give a fuck over.

2. I totally disagree with Nukeshell about downsizing the site with regard to useless threads as these can sometimes be entertaining (i.e, the top 5's, the K-Dog word games, etc). This site should also be somewhere to wind down, as well as get achievement tips. Like a community ;)

3. INACTIVITY - I think it is harsh to punish inactivity. I would prefer someone post once and it be useful and insighting, than post spam everyday.

4. MORE MODERATORS NEEDED - There are only a few active moderators at the moment (Minty, K-Dog and GT, Buckling is on but not that often). We need more to cut out the shit. 3 people can't do everything considering the site is international and crosses so many different time zones.

5. GRAMMAR AND SPELLING - This may sound petty, but if posts or threads are incorrectly spelt or sound gramatically incorrect, people will less likely read them or even enjoy reading them. I mean, how are we meant to attract mature gamers when we can't even start a sentence with a capital letter and end one with a full stop. Surely, we all went to school!!!!!!

6. THE SETUP - The forum at the present time, in my opinion, is not that badly setup, it's just that people have become lazy and don't search for what they want. Fair enough, people make a mistake sometime and miss what they want, but that can be overlooked. But repetition needs to be taken seriously!

7. SELECTED MEMBERS AREA - I think that this is a good idea. But I don't think it should be assessed by post counts as this will encourage spamming. I think members should be selected and "invited" by Admin and Mods to participate. Breach of this trust can easily end in a withdrawal of the special priviledge.

I think that'll do... for now :p

Psycence
06-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Sounds pretty ace to me, If there was a new batch of mods to be added, id love to be involved.

It may help to assign mods to an individual board, that way each base is covered, make it say 3 mods per board, each in a diff time zone.

Webb
06-05-2006, 05:59 PM
I think 3 mods a board would be a tad too many. But if you had a team of 6 or 7, mixed from across the time zones, then it could be worked that there is a mod on at all times.

Take for example the other night, when someone spammed every game thread with the same message about a cheater. If there was a bigger team of mods, the chances are that could not have escalated. In the end GT wasted 20 mins deleting them. If I was him, i'd be pissed!!!!

Krazie
06-05-2006, 06:01 PM
I'm not flaming anybody and this is only criticism..

This is the most hypocritical topic ive seen in awhile.. How in the world does this forum have too many members? There's days where theres only a few posts in a day it seems like.. I used to come here everyday and makes lots of constructive posts, lately, they're far and in between because the traffic on here seems close to zero sometimes.. I've seen some double posts and what not, but really, if you care that much about that, and cant just ignore it when it happens, or simply slap them on the wrists and say "Hey dumbass, we already have a post on this topic". Lock the topic, and let it go. The reason why i dont post here a lot anymore is because of the lack participation, granted, its been picking up a little more in the past week or so.

We want new members to come and contribute, whats the point of pushing them away? It's not going to bring back older members if we do that, its just going to make the forum smaller, and eventually obsolete

What needs to be done is make this place seem like more of a community for its members, instead of penalizing newer members, try rewarding older members or those who contribute a lot (hence, for starters, the whole 50 post limit for the leader boards).

Start doing more legit events/tournies for our members, and restrict them for the major contributors of the thread, expand the reward system, etc. There's tons of things that can be done to make the forum better and to make it so that people will want to contribute, and feel like this is the place where they want to post and these are people they want to game with. Credit card authorization and deleting accounts arent gonna make this place better, believe me..

Krazie
06-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Added on to Webb's post, more moderators would be a good idea, there's plenty of people on here that are qualified and trustworthy enough to handle moderating the forums.. If needed, I'd love to help out in that area as well, finally give me a reason to post more often again lol

A lack of mods can only cause problems..

Psycence
06-05-2006, 06:05 PM
I think 3 mods a board would be a tad too many. But if you had a team of 6 or 7, mixed from across the time zones, then it could be worked that there is a mod on at all times.

Take for example the other night, when someone spammed every game thread with the same message about a cheater. If there was a bigger team of mods, the chances are that could not have escalated. In the end GT wasted 20 mins deleting them. If I was him, i'd be pissed!!!!

True I was probably over estimating the traffic we get here, more appropriate for a larger forum.

This debate could go on and on I feel, its got legs :p

k_dog
06-05-2006, 06:15 PM
af.com has 3 mods per board BUT they also have 500,000+ members.

There are alot of good ideas comming out of this discission and I'm glad to see the progress we are making.

Psycence
06-05-2006, 06:19 PM
ahah, curse my over enthusiasm

Webb
06-05-2006, 06:22 PM
I think we're a long way off 500,000 members :p

I think we need to get more quality than quantity IMO, both in posts and members.

I want to reiterate that I welcome new members with open arms, i've always said, the more the merrier. But we need to attract quality members who will post insightful messages and stick around for a while, as opposed to members that come, spam 300 messages and last a month.

snafegeeza
06-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Krazie is right about the organizing more tournaments and pre arranged games, this would add extra depth to this forum and people would want to come here to participate in community orientated games. Im not talking serious games, but fun games for people to meet up and have a good time, for me some sort of uno tornament would have been ace and we could then come back to the forum and enjoy each others banter about the previous nights play. Maybe a friday night live section for example could be set up, then people who are available to play on friday evening could post and then meet up. Hey its only idea but could be an incentive for people to post more and to attract new mature members. I know theres a difference with time zones but this could be worked around. I would be very keen to get involved with somthing like this and could help organize it if its a popular idea!!!! :D

thieflordgamer
06-05-2006, 07:08 PM
these are some great ideas and points being made. i now disagree with deleting inactive accounts, but i wholeheartedly agree with off limits sections. that would encourage ppl to become friends with the higherups and post with quality, or their post count would be reduced if they start spamming. it would also encourage them to stay active with the forums, and post regularly.

is * still up? we could look at their rules if they have any and say if they have any ones that could be solutions to our problems.

Nukeshell
06-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Well the front page is and the Forum is, but the Forum isn't used that much as this one. Most people only visit that site just for the Achievements and stuff on the front page.

@DaWebb: Really? I only get B's and C's in English class:D

DaKing240
06-05-2006, 07:28 PM
I am already working on Tournaments...

Webb
06-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Well, your English is better than mine, and I have an A-Level in English! LOL

The problem with tournaments and events is that i've seen so many arranged and then fall away in to oblivion (360 pun there :p). The site is good to meet people to play with.

Take for example, with out this site I wouldn't have met Minty and I wouldn't be able to kick his ass on Tiger :nana

I do feel that a Select Members only forum is introduced, this would encourage people to take part in the forum actively and contribute with "quality" posts, with a view to gaining the VIP pass ;)

snafegeeza
06-05-2006, 07:35 PM
how would selected members be selected. @ webbs

what you got planned for tournaments @ daking

Webb
06-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Of course there would have to be a criteria...

-Offered advice
-No spamming
-Entertaining as well as informative ;)
-No flaming
-Certain post count
-Helpful where possible

etc, etc :D

Just a rough list for now (just my opinion really ;))

thieflordgamer
06-05-2006, 07:45 PM
ya, except for the "offered advice" that would be a good plus but we dont need a million threads that say "i have 1000 in pdz, ask me for help" or whatnot.

Webb
06-05-2006, 07:52 PM
ya, except for the "offered advice" that would be a good plus but we dont need a million threads that say "i have 1000 in pdz, ask me for help" or whatnot.

Thats a good point. How about, offered new advice ;)

thieflordgamer
06-05-2006, 07:56 PM
thats better. maybe we could possibly find a new admin that knows how to do the stuff that routinex can do? of course, routine had done so much for us and made a great site, as well as having the time to rack up a tremendous gamerscore, but it might help to have admin that can do things on both halves of the day. i'm not sure how much GT knows about this kinda stuff tho, he might have already learned it and we'll be fine.

KilluhKam
06-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Added on to Webb's post, more moderators would be a good idea, there's plenty of people on here that are qualified and trustworthy enough to handle moderating the forums.. If needed, I'd love to help out in that area as well, finally give me a reason to post more often again lol

A lack of mods can only cause problems..

yeah id also love to help out in moderating the forums also, im on the forums almost all day everyday and i always help out where needed if i was helping out with that then for me, it would be a good oppurtunity to help this site get better. another thing, i also think that we should start a new forum for people that find achievements before others do, that way we wont have alot of people submitting the same ahievements. the person that finds the achievements would go there and make a forum telling other people that they found the achievements and have submitted them, that way when someone else finds them they wont submit them and then routinex having like multiple threads people finding the same achievements (i dont know if this is an issue i just think it would be a good idea) and i know of all the stuff like useless threads and all but at least people would know when someone finds the achievements before they do.

thieflordgamer
06-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Most of you will proably object because I'm young, but I would love to mod also, I could actually help clean up the site if I was, and not just talk about it. Also, to add to Webb's post, contributing to the site could be another thing we look for.

snafegeeza
06-05-2006, 08:26 PM
mr bloodydeath - Your a decent geezer but I would get rid of your little poem at the bottom of your sig if you have ambitions of being a mod. :nana

Psycence
06-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Hear hear! Less of the ghetto and more english! it'll take you far my lad.

:nana

KilluhKam
06-05-2006, 08:58 PM
lol it dosnt really matter to me if i become one or not i just think it would be a cool experience so yea

Minty
06-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Take for example, with out this site I wouldn't have met Minty and I wouldn't be able to kick his ass on Tiger :nana

er, who won the 10k game? oh yes, that would be me.

and without disrespect to younger people, i think the mods need to be older. weve seen what happens when kids have powers, and thats been a problem

thieflordgamer
06-05-2006, 09:30 PM
if ur talking about buckling, sure i think a few of us agree.

Webb
06-05-2006, 09:35 PM
er, who won the 10k game? oh yes, that would be me.

and without disrespect to younger people, i think the mods need to be older. weve seen what happens when kids have powers, and thats been a problem
Hmmmmmm, this is what happen when mod's go to the pub :nana

Minty
06-05-2006, 09:39 PM
dunno what ya mean ;)

I'm a cheater!

DaKing240
06-05-2006, 09:47 PM
You will see my work in the ongoing weeks.

Organization will be my main goal, and the fact that for now, we can only handle 1 Tournament at a time. An award system will be in place, and I will take any suggestions from forum members when setting up the games.

snafegeeza
06-05-2006, 10:30 PM
I would definatly favour older mods, after all we need mature mods (dont we minty;)).

looking forward to the tournament section being updated. nice job :bow:

TimidKillah
06-05-2006, 10:33 PM
I would definatly favour older mods, after all we need mature mods (dont we minty;)).

looking forward to the tournament section being updated. nice job :bow:

Umm does that mean I qualify .... I'm 38:p

thieflordgamer
06-05-2006, 10:55 PM
i just know i'd love to be a mod, and i'm definitely going to be writing several reviews, i've written a king kong one (had to say how much of a disappointment this game was) and i should be done with a tomb raider: legend one by tomorrow.

snafegeeza
06-05-2006, 10:56 PM
no your way too old. get your pipe and slippers back on. lol :p

Minty
06-05-2006, 10:58 PM

ill be perfectly mature in 18 years.

wont i Abbie

thieflordgamer
06-05-2006, 11:00 PM
how old was theicemancometh again? like forty something? he's another one i haven't seen online either lately.

snafegeeza
06-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Somthing that would improve this forum would be for minty to stop being a stalker of young children. I know hes renowned for being the forum weirdo but its getting ridiculous now. wheres buckling when you need him!!! :)

Minty
06-05-2006, 11:15 PM
mommy!! dont be mean!!

Sarge McLarge
06-05-2006, 11:53 PM
Just wanted to say I have to agree that this site really needs some more quality mods to keep some order on the forums. An example of lack of moderation can be seen simply by going over to the NHL 2K6 forum and browsing the topics on the first page. Doing so you will see that there are like five topics about the penalty shot alone which is the achievement most people have a problem with (including me). I always thought (I even sent PMs to some people about it) there should be a sticky topic for the penalty shot where there was a FAQ and people can ask questions instead of creating new topics about it. Anyways kind of a pointless rant but just wanted to express some views. Thanks for listening

xfrancox
06-05-2006, 11:53 PM
When I started this thread with the title "too many members" I just didnt know what to call it. So to the person who thought it was hypocritical, sorry about that, I was just at a loss for words. I guess its more of a problem with too many members who are not contributing in a positive way as much as they should be. But thats just too long to be a thread title dont you think? Haha. I like a lot of the ideas that everyones coming up with, maybe we should put them into a list or something and make a poll out of it all.

Webb
06-05-2006, 11:55 PM
Just wanted to say I have to agree that this site really needs some more quality mods to keep some order on the forums. An example of lack of moderation can be seen simply by going over to the NHL 2K6 forum and browsing the topics on the first page. Doing so you will see that there are like five topics about the penalty shot alone which is the achievement most people have a problem with (including me). I always thought (I even sent PMs to some people about it) there should be a sticky topic for the penalty shot where there was a FAQ and people can ask questions instead of creating new topics about it. Anyways kind of a pointless rant but just wanted to express some views. Thanks for listening

I've just deleted one like 30 mins ago :p

snafegeeza
06-05-2006, 11:56 PM
After minty killed this thread with his last post I thought id get it back on topic.

Mature, adult mods would be a preference of mine as the responsibility for a mature gaming community should be in mature hands.

The tournaments section could do with more input and more often, I will happily contribute when the halo2 games are finished.

A private members section could be a good idea as long as it is managed properly and strict criteria is set.

Seperate sections for people wanting to meet up on live for achievements and for people just requesting help on how to get achievements would also be a good idea and I dont think it would be too complicated to manage or to post on.

I still think post limits should be set for some categories.

spamming should be flamed as soon as posted.

I hope some of your ideas work out, it would improve this forum a great deal. :D

xfrancox
06-06-2006, 12:01 AM
How "mature" aka old are we talking here for mods?

Webb
06-06-2006, 12:02 AM
I still think post limits should be set for some categories.

spamming should be flamed as soon as posted.

Hmmmmm, spamming should be flamed, maybe not as that is just another form of spamming. It should be stopped and posts WILL be deleted.

Post limits is an awkward thing as well. Some people might want clarification.

Minty
06-06-2006, 12:11 AM
How "mature" aka old are we talking here for mods?

Routine has made his choice of Mods, the majority of whom have been informed.

All decisions on Moderators will be made by Routine with support from current admin and mods.

xfrancox
06-06-2006, 12:12 AM
Routine has made his choice of Mods, the majority of whom have been informed.

All decisions on Moderators will be made by Routine with support from current admin and mods.

sweet, interested to see who

Minty
06-06-2006, 12:13 AM
all will be unveiled soon ;)

xfrancox
06-06-2006, 12:16 AM
all will be unveiled soon ;)

are you waiting for the next E3? :nana

Minty
06-06-2006, 12:17 AM
lol yeah. Theyll be some downloadable video mods next year :p

snafegeeza
06-06-2006, 12:17 AM
well yeah, deleting the posts would be better but that would also require more people to be able to do this.

regarding age I would say as long as they are mature and committed to it, any one over the age of 19 would be ok. I dont want you to think that im saying anyone under the age of 19 is imature, but being a mod is a responsibility and im sure the right people will be picked no matter what age.

Webb
06-06-2006, 12:21 AM
well yeah, deleting the posts would be better but that would also require more people to be able to do this.

I think this will happen, but it'll be a long winded process, so beware, the post counts might drop a little over the next few weeks ;)

xfrancox
06-06-2006, 12:24 AM
I think it would be interesting to see a section for threads about movies. Just a thought really.

thieflordgamer
06-06-2006, 12:26 AM
well, i guess it looks like i'm out of the question for a mod then.

btw there was a dumb thread kdog closed and the dude opened another one just like it. its like attn: kdog where is the ***** (can't remember the last word) it's i think in condemned. som1 plz delete it that dude is pissing me off.

TimidKillah
06-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Sorry I took so long to reply. I was getting my pipe and slippers:p

Could the moderators be listed on the front page under the Admins so everyone is aware;)

Webb
06-06-2006, 12:56 AM
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1504

Updated for ya Timid ;)

scoobydiesel
06-06-2006, 02:49 AM
Glad to see my mod thread being used again, I made that post for a good reason

thieflordgamer
06-06-2006, 05:40 AM
ya, i think the mods should take the place of the contributors, or at least in between the admin and the contributors (on the front page).

KilluhKam
06-06-2006, 05:56 AM
ya, i think the mods should take the place of the contributors, or at least in between the admin and the contributors (on the front page).

that could be a good idea but at the same time that would just be more stuff you have to scroll down through to get to some of the info. on the main page

thieflordgamer
06-06-2006, 06:03 AM
yeah, that's why i think it would be a good idea to have the list of contributors on either a separate page, or just not have one at all. we could have them given a "contributor" award instead, which would mark them as contributing to the site. i actually like that idea.

so: replace the contributors on front page with list of mods. create an award and give that award to everyone who contributes to the site. we could even have different ones like "achievement contributor" or "review contributor" or "guide contributor". or whatever, tell me if you like this idea or not.

k_dog
06-06-2006, 06:08 AM
The entire front page "Contributors" List is being redone already, ahead of you...;)

It's also being separated by category, ie. Guide Writers, Mod's ext. and will have it's own page. This is to prevent the the list from being a mile long.

The problem with having just the mod's on the list is that they don't moderate the Homepage that they are displayed on, they moderate the forum. The contributors list is where those who have put their time and effort into the sites content. :)

KilluhKam
06-06-2006, 06:18 AM
The entire front page "Contributors" List is being redone already, ahead of you...;)

It's also being separated by category, ie. Guide Writers, Mod's ext. and will have it's own page. This is to prevent the the list from being a mile long.

The problem with having just the mod's on the list is that they don't moderate the Homepage that they are displayed on, they moderate the forum. The contributors list is where those who have put their time and effort into the sites content. :)

so theyre's gonna be different parts like one will say "contributors:" and list everyone that contributes to the site and one thats labled "mods:" right? if so then what about the people that are on both because if im not mistaken i think a couple of the mods are also on the contributors list will there be a section for people that are multiple things? or will they just be on all the different list that suits them?

k_dog
06-06-2006, 06:19 AM
so theyre's gonna be different parts like one will say "contributors:" and list everyone that contributes to the site and one thats labled "mods:" right? if so then what about the people that are on both because if im not mistaken i think a couple of the mods are also on the contributors list will there be a section for people that are multiple things? or will they just be on all the different list that suits them?

Wouldn't they be on BOTH lists? ;)

thieflordgamer
06-06-2006, 06:20 AM
good, that sounds great.

KilluhKam
06-06-2006, 06:20 AM
but like if scoobydiesel was a mod and a contributor wouldnt it be easier to make a list of people labled "mod's/contributors" or something?

k_dog
06-06-2006, 06:21 AM
And is it me or did jdkay just start whoring up every friggin forum after i told him that he couldnt be on the Leaderboards unless he became more part of the forum?

Because he's whoring up ALOT of old shit and it's annoying me.

KilluhKam
06-06-2006, 06:22 AM
yeah ive seen his name pop up alot tonight

thieflordgamer
06-06-2006, 06:43 AM
i just noticed he was posting a lot, i didn't notice any blatant spamming. but yeah, i did notice he posted in a couple of old boards. but he's new, probably doesn't know that they're old.

KilluhKam
06-06-2006, 06:44 AM
he just wants to get on the leaderboard i bet as soon as he gets on he'll stop posting

Minty
06-06-2006, 06:52 AM
i just noticed he was posting a lot, i didn't notice any blatant spamming. but yeah, i did notice he posted in a couple of old boards.

pot...kettle....black

thieflordgamer
06-06-2006, 06:55 AM
pot...kettle....black

dont know what that was about...

btw what happened to my "what were you expecting on 666" thread it had like 10 posts i saw and i checked another thread and then it was gone.

guess it was considered a stupid thread or something and someone deleted it?

KilluhKam
06-06-2006, 07:01 AM
lol yeah i tryed to reply to bucklings post and it said it was invailid or something like that then i went out and it was gone

k_dog
06-06-2006, 07:02 AM
Actually, it may have been deleted on accident, if so, we appoligize but jdkay20 was posting everywhere and we couldn't keep up.

KilluhKam
06-06-2006, 07:04 AM
ooooo ok i understand now ya'll deleted a bunch of his posts or something?

thieflordgamer
06-06-2006, 07:05 AM
lol i never even saw what anyone said in it... i guess i could see why someone might consider it pointless..... well anyway, i hope these changes we're talking about are brought into effect soon.

but i still liked that idea of having awards for contributing and whatnot....

Lonsta DaMonsta
06-06-2006, 07:08 AM
I still check this site everyday, but I stopped posting for about the same reasons as NukeShell.

I wouldn't mind contributing myself completely to the tournaments section, and make some active tournaments happen. I think it would be great if that could happen. I'm also working on a sweet Rockstar Table Tennis achievement guide right now, and if I had more time I'd write more achievements guides, as I always try to make them as detailed as possible, since I always have been quite the "perfectionist"... (ask my band members when we record, they all hate me because of it).

So anyway, I like the way this is all heading. It's good that we're making an effort. I know Routine has picked new moderators and such, but as I said from when I joined the original site, I am here if you need me.

~ Lonnie

Minty
06-06-2006, 07:09 AM
weve all read the suggestions, some will be taken on board, others wont be.

but we no longer need 30 posts about the same thing. we get it!!

thieflordgamer
06-06-2006, 07:12 AM
well, i'm too lazy to type out that whole thing about 666 again... but i'll probably end up doing it anyway, heh.

EDIT: i don't think deleting all of that dude's posts was neccessary, he had some good input in a handful of our active boards.

@ minty: so you mean if i say that we need more mature mods one more time, that's not going to help? now we get it!

Lonsta DaMonsta
06-06-2006, 07:21 AM
Hopefully, Minty, that wasn't directed at me.

Minty
06-06-2006, 07:21 AM
dude, your geting annoying.

remember when you got a 2 day ban for not shutting up. your close ;)

silence is good at times

KilluhKam
06-06-2006, 07:24 AM
cant we all just get along? :)

Minty
06-06-2006, 07:30 AM
Hopefully, Minty, that wasn't directed at me.

na mate, yours was a sensible post. Thieflordgamers like a broken record at the moment tho

thieflordgamer
06-06-2006, 07:39 AM
just tryed to make a joke, cept a word was missing so it didnt make 2 much sense. i edited it.

not to mention you have a post that says "pot...kettle...black" so right back at ya ;)

there's also like 3 different pointless topics goin' on at the same time, which, i believe, cues a close of the thread.

Krazie
06-06-2006, 07:47 AM
Okay, this board is starting to become a little Nazi-esque on deleting posts

What was the point of deleting my sports picture post? Is there something wrong with humor on this forum? Are we not allowed to post anything at all?

No offense, but this is getting really retarded, and i dont understand what the point of not allowing people to post what they want is, especially when the whole group of you moderators spend hours belittling certain members for stopping some kid from using counterfeit money

No wonder why this forum has lost all of its great members, this is rediculous. Can't post an off-topic forum and an OFF-TOPIC board..

Get real.

thieflordgamer
06-06-2006, 07:52 AM
lol, hey, don't look at me, i'm not a mod. i agree that deleting posts has gotten kinda out of hand.

but i think they were just kidding when criticizing the perfect gun in the counterfeit money thread. :)

Krazie
06-06-2006, 07:55 AM
lol, hey, don't look at me, i'm not a mod. i agree that deleting posts has gotten kinda out of hand.

but i think they were just kidding when criticizing the perfect gun in the counterfeit money thread. :)

And how was that thread more constructive than mine tho? All I was trying to do was add a little humor to the forums, not hurting a soul.. I just dont get what the mods are trying to prove here

Scooby has a thread at the top of the off-topic forum about the class of 2006, shouldnt that be deleted as well?

thieflordgamer
06-06-2006, 07:59 AM
wait, did they delete ur homo sports thread? that's ridiculous! that was frickin hilarious, and it is the OFF TOPIC forum.

and there was some new guy on before, and he wanted to join the leaderboards but kdog said he had to become more active first, which i understand. and he had some constructive things to say in some threads, like in the galaga one and a ds one, but now all his posts are deleted and his post count is back to one. why? i don't know. at least I didn't see any spamming, maybe i missed something. but if i was that guy, i would probably forget this forum.

Krazie
06-06-2006, 08:03 AM
wait, did they delete ur homo sports thread? that's ridiculous! that was frickin hilarious, and it is the OFF TOPIC forum.

and there was some new guy on before, and he wanted to join the leaderboards but kdog said he had to become more active first, which i understand. and he had some constructive things to say in some threads, like in the galaga one and a ds one, but now all his posts are deleted and his post count is back to one. why? i don't know. at least I didn't see any spamming, maybe i missed something. but if i was that guy, i would probably forget this forum.

Yea.. my "no homo" sports pictures thread.. which i thought was very hilarious..

In my opinion, this is turning into nothing more than an abuse of power. I come to places like these to relax and to enjoy myself, as does everyone else. I understand that rules need to be in place, but isnt this a bit ridiculous?

thieflordgamer
06-06-2006, 08:17 AM
hopefully all will be sorted out with these ToS. we should also create a set of general things for mods to keep in mind while thinking about deleting something, to stop all of this nonsense.

RoutineX
06-06-2006, 08:23 AM
I'm not sure who deleted what as I just got out of bed, but I guess the mod in question will reply asap to the thread. Not sure why someone deleted something like that in the off topic forum. Almost anything should go there.

thieflordgamer
06-06-2006, 08:27 AM
yeah, as well as my "what were you expecting on 666" thread, that had 10 posts in like the first 5 minutes. but then a personal assault was commited on a member, and EVERY one of his posts got deleted, even the good ones (not that i saw any bad ones) and my thread somehow got deleted in the confusion. i guess to pass the time i'll recreate it, but no one will want to repost what they've already said.

KilluhKam
06-06-2006, 08:35 AM
yeah, as well as my "what were you expecting on 666" thread, that had 10 posts in like the first 5 minutes. but then a personal assault was commited on a member, and EVERY one of his posts got deleted, even the good ones (not that i saw any bad ones) and my thread somehow got deleted in the confusion. i guess to pass the time i'll recreate it, but no one will want to repost what they've already said.

ill repost what i already said in it :)

Krazie
06-06-2006, 08:36 AM
I'm not sure who deleted what as I just got out of bed, but I guess the mod in question will reply asap to the thread. Not sure why someone deleted something like that in the off topic forum. Almost anything should go there.

Thanks for the response Routine, im just a little confused as to what has been going on. For the most part, i think the moderators here have done a stellar job, but these last couple days, things have gotten a little weird

KilluhKam
06-06-2006, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the response Routine, im just a little confused as to what has been going on. For the most part, i think the moderators here have done a stellar job, but these last couple days, things have gotten a little weird

yeah im with you on that things have gotten a little weird lately

thieflordgamer
06-06-2006, 08:39 AM
it probably just sounds ridiculous to everyone else. i just... get scared easily i guess.

so i guess no1's taken the hint yet that maybe we should close up this thread? or no? i dunno, but posting in it, i'm just askin' to get flamed for spamming.

and i say put all of the wierdness behind us! it is the work of the devil! ;)

Minty
06-06-2006, 09:07 AM
right thread now locked down because ts just become a personal bitching thread for some people. if anyone feels that it should be unlocked PM me and it may happen.

Now we have some new mods there will be changes. Simple as. There needs to be a period of harsh moderating to settle the forum, as at the moment its far from settled. What makes the job hard is when people react badly to a mods dcision and then spend ages moaning. Its not going to bring the thread back, it just causes tension and looks bad on the forum.

There have been a lot of suggestions for improvement on the site. These cant all be implemented overnight. They cant all be implemented even. Some will bug people, others will love them. You cant please everyone. Esepcially with a mixture of Americans and Europeans and culture clashes etc etc.

End of the day were all working towards a better site. Just give us time and youll appreciate it, and the site will improve. But at the moment, let us get on with it.