PDA

View Full Version : A Date for Threads being Created?

Jdm
12-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Can we implement a Date for Threads being created?

We have the Member's Name under the Thread that is created, but how about a Created Date next to the Member's Name as well?

I think this will help decrease Members from posting in old threads. We all know how it is. Some don't look at the date of the First Post and just go along posting their own replies. Soon enough, you have other members that's not aware of the "old thread" and start posting to "bump" it even further.

I also understand that this would clutter up the Forum Boards and would take away the "clean" look. I just want to see what the Bosses think.

Thanks for everyone's time.:)

Zef
12-05-2007, 01:02 PM
You can see the date and time a thread is created by looking at the date and time of the first post...

Top left of the post, just above their username.

Jdm
12-05-2007, 10:50 PM
You can see the date and time a thread is created by looking at the date and time of the first post...

Top left of the post, just above their username.

Only you and I know this Mr. Zef.;):p

I'm J/K of course. But you know how much of a pain in the @$$ it is when members bump these old threads. Many won't even bother to look at the first post, let alone read everyone's post. They are just quick to post a reply and that's that.

Vista
12-05-2007, 11:00 PM
[quote=Jdm7399;512466\ Many won't even bother to look at the first post, let alone read everyone's post. They are just quick to post a reply and that's that.[/quote]

lol look in the members section... Franco one of the mods had an introduction when he joined the site in march of last year... the last post was right after christmas, last year... then some kid obviously new to the site looks for it AND POSTS IN IT!

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2867

Zef
12-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Knowing the date wouldn't stop people bumping old threads, it is just one more thing for them to ignore like the search button, edit button and a great big Flibble beam heading straight for their face.

I much prefer giving people infractions or bans for bumping really old threads, natural selection if you will.

Jdm
12-06-2007, 01:17 AM
Knowing the date wouldn't stop people bumping old threads, it is just one more thing for them to ignore like the search button, edit button and a great big Flibble beam heading straight for their face.

I much prefer giving people infractions or bans for bumping really old threads, natural selection if you will.

Mr. Flibble has spoken and the Law is in effect.

I agree with the Infractions/Bans, but I really like Mr. Flibble's Beam to the head.:p

FYI, just be careful guys. Always look at the First Post and see what Date it was created on. Don't just go posting and assuming that the thread is "new".

I suppose it's OK for a member to bump that certain "old" thread if they have something relevant to add or if they're having the same problem?

jackanape
12-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Maybe it would make things easier if more forums don't go towards peoples post count (as is the case with the Top 5 one).

As it's obvious that a lot of people post loaaaaaaaaads of greetings in the welcome forum just to bump up their count. Maybe I'm just super cynical and in reality people are just super nice.................ahahahahahahahaha! ;)

I know it's annoying when someone jumps in an old forum, but sometimes they are geniunely asking for help or giving some new info and at least they aren't creating a new thread when one exists. Surely Mr Flibble can show leniency for people using the search button?

Zef
12-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Bumping old threads is ok if you have something worthwhile or relevant to ask or say, but just coming along ten months after the last post and putting 'l0lz i tutalee agr3z!!11' is not going to win you any favours. If you were asking for more clarity on something said earlier on or pointing out a better way to do something then that would be okay.

Although some threads are best left to wither away in the depths of the forums regardless of the reply.

Jdm
12-06-2007, 10:29 PM
As it's obvious that a lot of people post loaaaaaaaaads of greetings in the welcome forum just to bump up their count. Maybe I'm just super cynical and in reality people are just super nice.................ahahahahahahahaha! ;)

^^^I always greet new members, not to jump my Post Count up, but to actually make them feel Welcomed.

I've said it in the past, that I don't care for my Post Counts. It should always be about Post Quality and NOT Post Counts.

If one day my Post Count drops to ZERO, I just want to know what happened and that'll be the end of that.

Although some threads are best left to wither away in the depths of the forums regardless of the reply.

^^^Couldn't agree more with Mr. Zef and Mr. Flibbles.

Many threads are useless and instead of Locking them, it should just be deleted from the face of the Earth. That will also drop members' Post Counts, so they can actually redeem themselves with a "better" post.

jackanape
12-07-2007, 12:17 PM
I know that you go on the New Members section to make people feel welcome - I didn't mean to tar everyone with the same brush. It's just that some new members see it as a great opportunity to boost themselves up really quickly and they go on really old threads for members that have been around ages and send them a welcome message MONTHS after they originally posted.

What I meant to say is that maybe the new members threads should be locked after a week or two to stop that kind of abuse.

When I posted on there it meant a lot that a number of more established members welcomed me to the site, the kind of people that had been around a bit such as yourself. In fact, I think you posted on my welcome page come to think of it, ha ha, thanks for that!

Jdm
12-07-2007, 06:28 PM
I know that you go on the New Members section to make people feel welcome - I didn't mean to tar everyone with the same brush. It's just that some new members see it as a great opportunity to boost themselves up really quickly and they go on really old threads for members that have been around ages and send them a welcome message MONTHS after they originally posted.

What I meant to say is that maybe the new members threads should be locked after a week or two to stop that kind of abuse.

When I posted on there it meant a lot that a number of more established members welcomed me to the site, the kind of people that had been around a bit such as yourself. In fact, I think you posted on my welcome page come to think of it, ha ha, thanks for that!

I got it. Don't worry, I wasn't mad or anything.;)

I'm not sure if I've Welcomed you or not because we both joined in January. A Belated Welcome to you!:p

I understand what you mean when it comes to the Members' Profiles. It's an extremely easy way to get your Post Counts up. Some I know do it because it's in their hearts to Welcome the newcomers, but others do it just for the Post Counts.

So who Welcomed back ol' Franco after all this time? That's the kind of Posts that need to be stopped. It's like a "domino affect" and then others come and start Welcoming Franco. Sorry to use you as an example, Franco.:p

Zef
12-07-2007, 07:25 PM
With welcome threads you know someone is just keeping up appearances when they come up with a generic one-liner like 'Welcome to the site, hope you have a good stay' or some typo infested isotope of that. If someone takes the time to actually make a response to what the person said in their introduction then all is good, it is just too much to police =(

I agree that those forums shouldn't count towards post counts, but then most of the top posters will lose loads of posts except for me =P That's why it won't happen.

Jdm
12-07-2007, 10:25 PM
With welcome threads you know someone is just keeping up appearances when they come up with a generic one-liner like 'Welcome to the site, hope you have a good stay' or some typo infested isotope of that. If someone takes the time to actually make a response to what the person said in their introduction then all is good, it is just too much to police =(

I agree that those forums shouldn't count towards post counts, but then most of the top posters will lose loads of posts except for me =P That's why it won't happen.

^^^Even worst, the "Copier and Pasters".

I hate when members do that.:mad:

Well, I guess we'll just have to warn these guys when they "bump" the old threads. It's really disappointing to see members post in an old thread for no apparent reason.

Mr. Flibble...GO GET THEM!;)