PDA

View Full Version : Auto-Closing Old Theards

Toki Wauna Noki
12-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Old threads on the site should be automatically closed after a omnth of no one posting on them. this will stop people from bringing up old threads and i will save newer members from getting an infraction (Like i did) because they accidentally posted on an old thread

Shinobi273
12-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Sometimes old discussions can be ressurrected, you probably posted an answer in a 10+ month old thread that was already answered. The mods are pretty good about handling things, I don't think this is necessary. Plus to get an infraction I'm pretty sure it has to be a repeat offense.

Toki Wauna Noki
12-07-2007, 08:28 PM
the mod said i got it for bringing up just one old thread that was a month old and it could be made to auto-close threads that have no posts for the past month and also it has to not be viewed in the past month or they can just delete the thread entirly

Netnabi4
12-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Just so maybe expand the idea...

Why not have a cleanup crew. Every month on a certain date this group comes in and deletes all threads that havent been viewed in x amount of days or havent been posted in, in x amount of days.

Toki Wauna Noki
12-07-2007, 08:37 PM
thats what im trying to explain but im just bad with words

Shinobi273
12-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Care to post the thread you were infracted for? They send you the link when infracted.

I think it would be too much work that none of the mods will be willing to do.

Toki Wauna Noki
12-07-2007, 08:42 PM
i wouldnt be that much work and also if your a mod you have to do alot of work.
i cant find the thread i posted on but if i do i will post it on this thread.

Netnabi4
12-07-2007, 08:43 PM
I think it would be too much work that none of the mods will be willing to do.

Thats why you would assign the job to members of the site. They are only allowed to use the powers during that weekend or whatever. It easy to just make a group of them and give them mod powers on a few days of the month. It wouldn't take 10 minutes.

Webb
12-07-2007, 08:44 PM
I don't think Netnabi, you appreciate the level of activity this place gets. There are currently over 37 thousand threads, it's just not physically possible or even effective to do what you suggest.

What's a theard anyway? :p

Toki Wauna Noki
12-07-2007, 08:45 PM
true that but it would need to be an elite group of x360a members
my bad i accidentally spelled it wrong

Vista
12-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Just so maybe expand the idea...

Why not have a cleanup crew. Every month on a certain date this group comes in and deletes all threads that havent been viewed in x amount of days or havent been posted in, in x amount of days.

If they deleted the peoples post counts would drop a lot, It is a good idea actually!

Of course sticky threads wouldnt be locked but a 'clean up crew" would be a good idea...

Pants would be good for that, he loves to lock threads ;)

Toki Wauna Noki
12-07-2007, 09:08 PM
dont delte the threads just close them so the post count wouldnt drop

KingGotenW
12-07-2007, 09:29 PM
some games arent very popular but people come to post their ideas on them. closing them would cause them to create a new thread thus just causing it to become worse.

there is already a "timer" for threads. the creater can set the date when the thread dies. The mods are good at keeping up with threads that should be closed after the discussion is totally dead.

this idea is good in theory. but best off as it is right now.

Toki Wauna Noki
12-07-2007, 09:35 PM
i wasnt saying to close a whole game thread but just threads inside the threads(topics)

Jdm
12-07-2007, 10:14 PM
dont delte the threads just close them so the post count wouldnt drop

No matter what anyone says, I think deleting the thread is better than closing it.

Who cares about Post Counts?

Not me and I'm on my way to 3K Posts.

Maybe this will teach the "offenders" a lesson.

As always, it's about Post Quality, NOT Post Counts.

eXiled Killah
12-07-2007, 10:23 PM
No matter what anyone says, I think deleting the thread is better than closing it.

NICE!! I agree with this completely.... even if it dropped my post count to 1:p

zdarko43
12-07-2007, 10:31 PM
yeah i believe this idea was presented in anoter fashion a few months ago. basically, ya i think it would be a good idea to have another group of part-time mods to jump on and slowly clean up the site, i mean it would clear up alot of space i'm sure, and alot of the double-posts can be moved all into one thread, overally decreasing all of the thread numbers.

but, as someone mentioned above, there is a crap-load of threads and the majority of these have been inactive for a long extensive period of time. but just because it has no posts for x amount of time doesn't disqualify the thread from being informative of helpful for the few people that do actually use the search function versus just posting a new topic.

and fyi, i too had received a fraction for draging up old threads, but what's messed up is i never received any form of warning / heads up of the fault i had caused. which now i know better, but regardless.

if someone gets a single fraction, no biggie, but if they are repeated offenders, thats when they begin to loose website privelages, and this is one of those sites you don't want to miss out on. ;)

so i saw the infraction as a warning, and don't worry after so long they do expire. :)

Toki Wauna Noki
12-07-2007, 11:39 PM
i didnt get a warning either

Webb
12-07-2007, 11:54 PM
i didnt get a warning either

The infraction is a warning. It is a yellow and red card system. Get an infraction and it's a yellow card. Do it again and you will get another yellow card. Do it again and you will get a red card, i.e. a temporary ban.

Toki Wauna Noki
12-08-2007, 12:15 AM
that makes sense.
when i first got it i thought i was going to get banned

Blackjaw x
12-08-2007, 01:02 AM
In any forum I've ever been a part of, people get angry when old threads are resurrected, but I don't understand.
Clearly, if you still are interested in the topic, it isn't out of date.
So isn't posting in an existing thread with information already in it better than making a new, identical thread?

I think people just automatically get pissed off without really thinking about why, it really makes no sense to me.

PS: Why are you trying to get awards so badly? ;)

CovertDog
12-08-2007, 01:25 AM
If you have relevant and new info to add to an old thread or if you have a question relevant to the thread, you can resurrect a thread. What we don't like is when you bring up an old thread just to say, "Great idea." or "Thanks for the info." Also disscussions that have died off shouldn't be brought back.

Marx0r
12-10-2007, 07:55 PM

For someone who doesn't seem to care, you say that alot.:p

But anyway, I don't think this is really necessary. It's not like the "don't post in old threads" rule is x360a-only, this is pretty much the law in every single forum ever. If you don't know that, you should probably be infracted.

The "name that movie" thread in the Off-Topic was just resurrected after a month of inactivity, and everyone loves it. Why was Khaos not infracted? Because he had a good reason to resurrect it and added something to the conversation.

However, when someone replies to a Crackdown thread discussing the announced inclusion of the Halo 3 Beta 8 months after the fact with "ololo I h ave Halo 3 already tis been out LMAO XD :uzi::uzi::uzi:", this noob should be banned, let alone infracted. The dates are on the top of every post, it's not hard to realize that the topic's dead.

To sum up, there are so many places where bumping an old thread is acceptable that an inclusion of an auto-lock would inconvenience more people than it would 'help'.

Ash3n
12-10-2007, 08:23 PM
The infraction is a warning. It is a yellow and red card system. Get an infraction and it's a yellow card. Do it again and you will get another yellow card. Do it again and you will get a red card, i.e. a temporary ban.

I think we should penalize people by yards. Say 5 yards for bumping an old thread. 10 yards for doing it twice. 15 yards for thinking there is only one "REAL", Football in the world and it isn't soccer. Damn Brits and their yellow, red, pink and goat-herder cards.

;)

Oh and 20 yards for this post since I'm horribly off topic.

Ohh again, so I'm on topic. I agree with what everyone has said thus far. Since I went back on topic after straying horribly off topic. I should get a touchdown worth 7 points and a corner kick as well.

Tron
12-10-2007, 08:28 PM
we can also add in Balking, Corking your bat, Spitting on your ball, and using Lube...

Ash3n
12-10-2007, 08:30 PM
mmmmm, lube. BAH-BAH Black Sheep!

Minty
12-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Or you could be forced to lose a piece of padding from the 'football' kit every infraction, and repeat offenders will soon be playing a mans game we like to call Rugby...

But in all serious, a lot of old posts are useful and dont need locking. Its not the threads that are the problem, its the 'Yeah I agree' or 'Wow this really helped' 6 months late people

Tron
12-10-2007, 08:31 PM
i dont think forcing our members to strip them selves of their clothing and then chasing them around trying to tackle and group hug them is really appropriate.

Ash3n
12-10-2007, 08:33 PM
But in all serious, a lot of old posts are useful and dont need locking. Its not the threads that are the problem, its the 'Yeah I agree' or 'Wow this really helped' 6 months late people

we can also add in Balking, Corking your bat, Spitting on your ball, and using Lube...

Wow

&

I agree!

&

Awesome Post!

&

:drunk

&

This really helped!

Webb
12-10-2007, 09:03 PM
i dont think forcing our members to strip them selves of their clothing and then chasing them around trying to tackle and group hug them is really appropriate.

lol

That made my night ;)

Anyone for a ZING!? Or a BURN!?

Ohh, back on topic... I agree :p

narcolepticshee
12-10-2007, 09:10 PM
I still don't understand why it's a bad thing to bring up a sixth month old thread with 'good idea' etc.? Like, it isn't harming anyone or anything? I'm not being a dick, i just don't understand the problem with it so please explain! :)

Peace

Shinobi273
12-10-2007, 09:14 PM
I still don't understand why it's a bad thing to bring up a sixth month old thread with 'good idea' etc.? Like, it isn't harming anyone or anything? I'm not being a dick, i just don't understand the problem with it so please explain! :)

Peace

As a few previous posts have said, there is nothing wrong with adding to old threads if you have real information or anything relevant. It becomes a problem when the question was already answered, or the new post says nothing. Posting "that sucks" or "good job" or "thanks" in a thread that is over a month old is completely unnesessary and deserves to be punished.

narcolepticshee
12-10-2007, 09:18 PM
So it's just that it's unnecessary - there isn't a real problem with it :S? I dunno, just seems a little harsh to get punished for posts that are just unnecessary.

Like, i understand that they're unnecessary but what is the problem with unnecessary posts? Like, who really cares if someone posts 'Good Job' on a 6 month old thread?

Peace

Ash3n
12-10-2007, 09:18 PM
So it's just that it's unnecessary - there isn't a real problem with it :S? I dunno, just seems a little harsh to get punished for posts that are just unnecessary.

Like, i understand that they're unnecessary but what is the problem with unnecessary posts? Like, who really cares if someone posts 'Good Job' on a 6 month old thread?

Peace

Well, there are a few reasons.
Every post takes up space.

More space taken up = slower site.

Post counts are kind of important to people. If they earned it by contributing, why should someone else get the same award by spamming?

When someone spams 400 messages in 2 days, it gets slightly annoying.
Some of us visit the site daily or hourly. When we have 40 new threads to read because we subscribed to them 1 year ago....it is a hassle.
If all you have to say is "WTG!!11!!1 FTW!!11", maybe it is better left unsaid.
Minty is a Goat Lover. He doesn't have the time to sift through all of this stuff. Too many goats, not enough time.
X360A is the best site out there for gamers. Why? Because, it is well designed and it stays clean. Thats about it brother.

narcolepticshee
12-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Well, there are a few reasons.
Every post takes up space.

More space taken up = slower site.

Post counts are kind of important to people. If they earned it by contributing, why should someone else get the same award by spamming?

When someone spams 400 messages in 2 days, it gets slightly annoying.
Some of us visit the site daily or hourly. When we have 40 new threads to read because we subscribed to them 1 year ago....it is a hassle.
If all you have to say is "WTG!!11!!1 FTW!!11", maybe it is better left unsaid.
Minty is a Goat Lover. He doesn't have the time to sift through all of this stuff. Too many goats, not enough time.
X360A is the best site out there for gamers. Why? Because, it is well designed and it stays clean. Thats about it brother.

Nice one that clears it all up. Got some solid reasons for it. Very fair points!

Cheers Ash3n

Peace

Honkymagoo
12-11-2007, 04:26 AM
Show some respect for the Old Theards. They were... oh it was supposed to say THREADS? don't mind me then...

Marx0r
12-11-2007, 11:19 PM
If you want to make an omelet, you have to break a few eggs. x360a is one of the best free 360 sites in the world, mainly because the forums are so easy to read. To keep the forums easy to read, you have to infract a few people and lock a few threads. If this results in a few angry people, oh well.

Scotian Bred
12-12-2007, 01:52 AM
Well i can see some of these threads bieng locked .. because they just go on and on about nothing really and you can really tell who loves thier post count .. so what ever happened to all these mods that came out of the x360a apprentice ? .. can't they lock threads or is that just for admins ?

Webb
12-12-2007, 02:06 AM
Any mod can lock a thread. Just depends on who's around to who does it to be fair.

Speaking of locking...

The thread is going nowhere. Questions have been answered. Hearts broken and souls touched. Now we have to let this one die ;)