PDA

View Full Version : NFS but not as we know it!

Rad1977
12-12-2007, 04:03 PM
I am a big NFS fan, and despite various changes throughout the series, I felt that they made some progress in improving the game overall with every release. However along comes NFS Pro Street, please remember these are just my opinions and this isn't a slagging post....I'm just trying to find some justification as to why the devs would change things sooo much?

1) The menu system (interface) is awful, especially in career mode when trying to navigate from race to race......I think some lessons from Codemasters (Colin Mcrae Dirt) in terms of Intuitive and fluidity is required?

2) The main gripe I have is the fact, I regarded the NFS games of old as a change from the normal track racing genre....the fact that it was illegal street racing and that you had police to contend with added to the challenge and enjoyment. So other than political correctness why would the dev team change this?

3) The commentary of the race announcer between and during races make me wanna mute the t.v.......it's been a while since I've noticed a game that contains such monotonous sh*t. IMHO I'd rather they just added some more suitable racing sound tracks in to match the style of the race.

Please feel free to let me know your thoughts, but I had to get that off my chest! :)

roy1751
12-16-2007, 12:07 PM
All good points, coming from another longtime NFS/racing game nut.
The menus are crap because they are a canned copy of the same nested menu code found in all the other EA sport games, just with a different skin. Fire up Madden or Tiger Woods and you'll see it. The pavement graffiti career structure is just an attempt at fooling people into thinking that there is more to this game than a long string of the same races over and over.
The cops, I miss them but it was just a matter of time before they jacked them out of the game in fear of lawsuits etc. EA is just another big company now with too much to lose.
The arena dork is there for adding a social component to the game I think, since there is no plot or story of any kind. Its funny to read all the reviewers of this game saying how they called the story lines of the previous games cheesy etc but now they miss it, and I agree. At least they gave an option to mute voice, which I did immediately.

Crap game overall, and it's easiest to just realize that this is not Need for Speed and move on to something else.

Kazdan
12-16-2007, 12:25 PM
3) The commentary of the race announcer between and during races make me wanna mute the t.v.......it's been a while since I've noticed a game that contains such monotonous sh*t. IMHO I'd rather they just added some more suitable racing sound tracks in to match the style of the race.

Main Menu -> Options -> Audio -> Speech Volume 0, there ya go.

I've played every NFS there is, and I think Pro Street is the best of the series. Or actually Underground 2 and ProStreet are both best.

There are plenty of game modes in ProStreet. And your car actually takes damage now, which makes the game more realistic. Graphics, gameplay, soundtrack are all good. And Online play is better than in previous games. Single Player is better too (I lol'd at Carbon's single player).

Altough I miss the free roam, but not the police.

N1GHT
12-16-2007, 10:39 PM
I am a big NFS fan, and despite various changes throughout the series, I felt that they made some progress in improving the game overall with every release. However along comes NFS Pro Street, please remember these are just my opinions and this isn't a slagging post....I'm just trying to find some justification as to why the devs would change things sooo much?

1) The menu system (interface) is awful, especially in career mode when trying to navigate from race to race......I think some lessons from Codemasters (Colin Mcrae Dirt) in terms of Intuitive and fluidity is required?

2) The main gripe I have is the fact, I regarded the NFS games of old as a change from the normal track racing genre....the fact that it was illegal street racing and that you had police to contend with added to the challenge and enjoyment. So other than political correctness why would the dev team change this?

Please feel free to let me know your thoughts, but I had to get that off my chest! :)

Totally agree and also I was mad about MW and PS...was that they got rid of the dyno tuning like it was in underground 2...you could dyno and see excatly where the rpm curve was...and it was a lot easier testing it...in PS you have to leave and go do a match which is ghey...

sharno
12-17-2007, 02:41 PM
when i first started this game i was like okay this is pretty cool, but now that im getting into the different races and its telling me "you dont have a car for this certain race type" etc etc and thats really annoying to me, id rather just play with 1 car instead of hooking up 4 or 5 cars at the same time.

and also the drifting is absolutely terrible, i feel like i have no control of the car, it feels like the game just wants to drift the car for me and all i have to do is turn the wheel at the right time and bam im drifting. if the car does get going the where i dont want it to its done and i cant turn it back it just keeps going off the track. oh well glad i rented it

Acrid Placidity
12-17-2007, 08:18 PM
I thought Most Wanted was crappy. Carbon was worse. Those menus were TERRIBLE. Pro Street's graphics look good.. I liked the desert race I played in the demo. Hopefully this one isn't too bad... I still like the originals better though. Hot Persuit 2 was my favourite, as you could switch between the racers, the cops, or play against your friend (or with) as both.