Your opinion on multiplayer/online achievements.

Evarist0 X

Well I started this topic to see what do you guys think about the online achievements in games.

The thing is, I think that it is cool and everything that the achievents encourage people to play online, and of course buy xbox live xD. But, don't you think that it kinda sucks that it's really hard to get many of those achievements in older games, on ir non-popular games.

Like for example, when I rented NFS Carbon and I played it online I could barely find ppl playing it, so how was I supposed to get some of the online achievements, like the modderator challenge!? Or one time I borrowed Perfect Dark Zero from a friend, 0 ppl online.

Online achievements are good because to get a full gamer score in a game you must be good in all aspects. A 1,000 In a game should show that you are really good at that game, and you know it inside and out. To be a master of a game you really should be able to beat the campaign on the hardest setting,find varies easter eggs in the game, and be good at the online play. Without online play achievements then the game will not require you to actually be good against other players, on AI that has patterns.

Like for example, when I rented NFS Carbon and I played it online I could barely find ppl playing it, so how was I supposed to get some of the online achievements, like the modderator challenge!? Or one time I borrowed Perfect Dark Zero from a friend, 0 ppl online.

Thats what boosting is for. :)

in my opinion online achievements are a lot of fun. but they need to be achievable for most everyone. for instance i played nba live 07 and there is the 1,000 people online achievement. completley unachievable. unless you were a member of this site and were online Feb 2007 I think it was, then you will never have this 100pt achievement. also in burnout revenge there is an achievement called celebrity status. Online Superstar! Bagged by getting a Clip in the Top 20 Downloads! i dont think many people got that one as well.

yes there should be online achievements but they need to be realistic. and IMO you shouldnt have to play 4 hours a day for 3-6 months to get the achievement aka Elite R6V.

I hate online achievements. There is honestly no point to them in my eyes. Most games I am missing achievements in are online ones. For reasons like you said. But mainly I hate them because people strive for them instead of letting them come naturally. I hated hearing people bitch in GoW because I grabbed the weapon they wanted to get the achievement for. Or in halo how damn near every lone wolves match somebody is asking to boost achievements. I'd say more people boost online achievements then get them legit which makes them pointless. Without online achievements people would go back to playing online for fun. Not achievements. Ok, now that I got that out of the way I have one more thing to add. I can deal with there being online achievements because I'm sure some people like them. But for me a game like CoD4 was perfect. 1000 points single player, but people still play multiplayer because it's a blast not because they want to get 1000/1000.

edit: I guess I agree with Ho5tiLe D. I can deal with online achievements if they are well thought out. I hate things like Quake 4's #1 on the leaderboards.

agree, look at bio-shock, mass effect, cod 4, and assassins creed, good games that don't need online achievements. Cod 4 is a perfect example of how ahievements should be, and for multi-player the rank system is perfect for ppl to gloat about.

Some games are all right to have online Achievements in, but with other games, it's just a waste. I've seen people complain that they can't find matches in Call of Duty 3 when they are trying to go for the "General" Achievement. Other games, such as Halo 3, are perfect to have online Achievements in because there are a whole lot of players, and they are scattered around all the playlists. And other games, like Call of Duty 4, just don't need online Achievements because the amazing online multiplayer is good enough.

Thats what boosting is for. :)

Yeah but what if you don't like to boost?

I hate em, because most of them are an investment of time as opposed to single player skill. And completing them all depends on people playing as well. To have to rely on others to get achievements kinda sucks. And winning oh so many games becomes a grind.

I agree with you, even though i dont hate online achievements xD, but for example the Seriously... achievement. You don't really need to be an ace in GoW to get it, it's just a matter of time. Obviously if you're good at GoW you are gonna get the achievement sooner, but as long as you have patience you can get it.

Some games are all right to have online Achievements in, but with other games, it's just a waste. I've seen people complain that they can't find matches in Call of Duty 3 when they are trying to go for the "General" Achievement. Other games, such as Halo 3, are perfect to have online Achievements in because there are a whole lot of players, and they are scattered around all the playlists. And other games, like Call of Duty 4, just don't need online Achievements because the amazing online multiplayer is good enough.

That's also true, cuz like who on earth is gonna get the #1 achievement for Quake? Like 10 people? xD

I'm an achievement whore, and a game renter, and usually only buy a game when it's at a bargain bin price. So when I get an older game, I'm usually not able to find any players for them, and it frusturates me that I can't get those multiplayer achievements. But I do think they are necessary to improve your overall skill in a game and are really fun when you can go for them. So I kind of have a love/hate relationship with them.

....they can be beneficial, and at the same time ruin it:

i.e. - in saints row your rewarded on your actual skill increase...

or in gears of war - if someone wants the sniper rifle but is horrible with it, you may lose the match based on their lack of skill.

call of duty 4 gets the idea going in the right direction...getting new weapons and upgrades for the amount of kills with a specific weapon...

i think a good mix of mp/sp achievements is a good idea...more points then halo (under 100 for a game prided on its mp) and less points then cod3.

I, personally, don't like multiplayer and online achievements too much because I prefer to play video games on my own without depending on other people. Games like Assassin's Creed and Bioshock are great for me because I don't have to recruit someone else to play with me to get some of the achievements. Even Lego Star Wars: TCS had one online achievement that I needed to get help with since none of my friends own the game - shout out to Dizzy Domes for playing through a level with me. I still don't think I'll ever get the time or the willing partner to eventually beat Perfect Dark Zero multiple times on Co-Op to get those achievements. For people that spend a lot of time online though, it is nice to give them some sort of visible reward for the time that they spend playing the game.

Msg for Hostile D - Quote didnt work for some reason!!!

I have both of those achievements, ok you will never get the 1000 online in NBA 07 but the burnout one is esay if your cleaver, they reset the leaderboards on 25th of every month (when i got it anyway) and create a dummy account and download your video as many time as needed. ( I needed to do it 12 times only)

ON TOPIC: I love online achievements because there would be no point playing online if there was no online achivements ( CoD 4 prime example).

However as said many time had to be achieveable. GRAW ones are the worst though.

ON TOPIC: I love online achievements because there would be no point playing online if there was no online achivements ( CoD 4 prime example).

However as said many time had to be achieveable. GRAW ones are the worst though.

Just curious about something now, so why have people been playing online games for some 10 years now before achievements were even implemented? Achievements aren't the sole reason to play online and if that is, its kinda sad.