Your background in ONLINE gaming and the friends you have made online.

McCare

I think the topic I am trying to start here may be a bit too broad for a simple thread title.

I am basically curious as to 360 user's and general gamer's starts,backgrounds and experiences in online gaming. I am also curious as to the friends made as a result of gamer's increased connectivity with each other.

I will proceed to type out my own piece which may set an example as to what I am hoping to be discussed.

I was a bit older than the general teen demographic that have access to online gaming now-a-days. Some seedy internet cafe in the downtown toronto area provided the location to my humble online gaming origins.

A bunch of friends had been raving about forming a clan for the purposes of virtual world domination within the pixeled realm of counter strike. We connected to a server and I recall that I did not leave my seat till the early hours of the next day.

I wasnt very good as I had grown accustomed to scripted, somewhat dim Ai reactions. I proceeded to game sporadically in online fps's over the years as I built my playstation 2's and my gamecube's respective collections.

Que 2004, year end. Blizzard launched a monster in World of Warcraft, my friends and I got sucked in. There was about 15 of us on the same server, few months onwards and only 5 of us remained and raided through the burning crusade. I quit in May of this year as my missus along with my 360 were collecting dust rather miserably in the corner of my life.

During my walk out from WOW my real life friends decided to continue their lives in Azeroth. However, leading a guild of european nerds gained me some influence which meant that I didnt cross the pc to console catwalk alone. 7 of my fellow guildies have joined me in a tight, acheivement whore's heaven of online commradre.

Not for the lack of an active social life,but strangely enough, my ex-guildies are the most people i interact with throughout the week. Wether it is a casual online chat while drifting lazily through the dashboard or a competitive GOW ranked match.

I'm truely loving this, it is such a laugh and in all honesty just an absolute joy in which to sink my time in.

what is your story? Feel free to add more, or elaborate more than I have.

My real friends cant for the life of them understand how the fuck I spend so much time gaming. Their mindset does not seem to be able to grasp the growing monster that is online gaming. So I thought I would come here and relate with people who, well....can relate to this.

:drunk

My first real online gaming experience was playin Runescape... yep, you heard me. My friends are the ones who got me into playing it, and there were maybe 10 of my real life friends who played. I started in 6th grade, and I continued playing until the middle of 8th grade. I'm in 9th grade now. Over that time, I met some really great people who I am still in contact with today. I spent a lot of time playing Runescape, and therefore, I made a lot of friends. Some of the friends that I met playing Runescape are the people I play Xbox Live with.

Now that I've had Live for almost a year, I have played numerous games online. I have met some really cool people as well. It's better than playing an online computer game because you can actually talk to them instead of typing everything. I'm really glad I met those friends.

I first started out with a few friends of mine playing Halo 1 on XboxConnect (I know, But I was cheap back in the day). It was free and we played for days on end. After moving to Tenn. for college and buying a Halo Ed. Xbox, I played Halo 1 and 2 religously. After that, I kind of put down the controller for a while and focused more on school. I've had live now for..oh lord...2 years? I've met a lot of cool people from Call of Duty 3 but I never play with them anymore.

Well I started off, during the switch from Primary school to Secondary school, meeting loads of new people who soon became what I call my friends.

They introduced me to a game, which happened to be RuneScape. Which they all played. I decided to join in the fun and signed myself up and off I went, my introduction to online gaming.

Playing RuneScape for roughly 2 years, a friend who previously never used to play RuneScape, persuaded me to get rid of my PS2 and buy an Xbox, which I wisely did.

After getting my Xbox of around december 2004, I got my first 12 month live subscription the following March, and since then, March has been the month my Live renews itself.

I constantly played a combination of Xbox Live and RuneScape, before eventually forgetting about RuneScape.

Christmas Day 2005 I was treated to my first Xbox 360, and boy was I pleased. Since then it had been my source of most my online entertainment, in conjunction with another MMORPG called FlyFF, which I only inhabited for a couple of months.

I'm currently now on my second 360, and coming up my fourth payment to Microsoft for Xbox Live. I also tend to play Guild Wars, which just happens to be another MMORPG, from time-to-time.

I have also played MANY other MMO's, but haven't really stuck with them, apart from the few I've mentioned. :)

~SS

I started out my 'online' gaming with a dreamcast and phantasy star online. This was my first foray into online gaming. After the dreamcast died, i had a PS2 and a gamecube and an xbox (no broadband). I heard my mates talking about halo 2 so the day i got broadband i went to get a live pack with halo 2.

I played with my mates countless times on many games and then i started playing Midtown Madness. Here i met a guy called 'JwintooX' and we had the same sense of humour and it was such a laugh. Ever since then i've been playing with this guy, we've made countless clans, and we've met a couple of times in real life and had a laugh. He's moving down where i live soon which will be sick.

Whoever said gaming isn't sociable is an ass

Peace

A couple of years ago, I bought the Half-Life Generation box from a garden sale at the rest home my great grandmother lived in. Very obscure place to buy one of the most legendary FPS' ever, but there you go. I bought it for £4, and I had heard really good stuff about it. It contained Half-Life, Opposing Force and Counter-Strike. I installed it all, set it all up, but then discovered the version of Half-Life I owned was 1.4, and the world was now on 1.6. I followed a link from the game, and discovered Steam. I was so determined to play this damn game, I downloaded Steam, and got all the 1.6 games installed - free of course =D Back when Steam didnt cost a penny.

I started playing CS 1.6 quite frequently, and made a few friends on the UK2.net servers (which I believe are now Cyborg2.net). But after a while, I discovered the third-party modifications people had made, such as BrainBread, Sven Co-op, Natural Selection and the like. I hosted a lame-ass server on Sven Co-op, and was obsessed with the 'toonrun' series of maps. One day, a player named Raziel joined my server. I got to know him a little during our time on those maps, and we even made a clan together - and shortly afterwards, deleted said clan XD

But even so, we still talk to each other, and are pretty good mates. Can't remember the last time I played SC with him though =P

My friends got me into starcraft back when it came out so I played that for a few years (i was probably only 7 or 8) then I got Roller Coaster Tycoon..not an online game in itself but I got involved in the community and started to get to know the people there and I got to be one of the people everybody in the community knew because of the clan I was in (yes games like that have clans:p), I still talk to a few people I met from that. then I quit that after about 4 years of that. got xbox live and played some but not too much, ended up cancelling it in the 2nd year..got the 360 and didn't have live for a while, then finally got it and played a little bit, but not until me and my friends discovered the amazingness of GRAW2, and met some people I havn't deleted from my friends list on that.

my first online gaming experience was unreal tournament/starcraft. i used to play both of those games for hours on end. the reason i played starcraft was because most of my friends played it and it was just something to do instead of schoolwork (lol). Unreal Tournament i got into because at the time it was one of the only online games without verification for a legit copy...so i could send it to anyone who wanted to play it.

i've met a couple of people i still play games with and keep in touch with, but normally its through the six degrees method - i.e. it'll be my cousin's friend's friend or my friends cousin.

Socom 2 on the PS2 was my first online game that I remember. I had some great friends on that game whom I have continued to stay in contact with and I still play online with a few. I also have my friends from Halo 2. My first ever clan on Halo 2 (Max Powers) consisted of about 15 people. Two of them were from my town. We had a falling out down the road but the core 4 remained friends. I still play with those people and one of them is actually a really good friend of mine now. I know people consider it nerdy/lame or whatever but I actually hold a lot of value in my online friendships. I don't see why it's any different other than the fact that you probably don't hang out in person.

i was a COD gamer i started out on the Original Beta when i was about 7 or 8 and then started clanning when it was about 4 months old. Once United Offensive came out i switched over to that and so did my clan as we grew i went up the ranks until i was leading a 200 man Tactical Realism clan at the age of 10. Once COD2 came out we then switched again and i started to make some real friends online and convinced some of my friends from school to join the clan. We switched around for a little while and then settled down in a very competitive clan and my 4 friends and i won multiple tournaments. So after i had spent well over 1000 ours in the COD PC gaming world i switched over to 360 and played halo 2 for around 6 months i finally signed up here

I started off online gaming with counter strike 1.5 then on to 1.6 when steam started, i played that for several years... tho i found the general community wasnt the friendliest, i then got into the city of heroes beta and the community there was stupendously friendly so i played the retail for several months and once i reached max level i quit and ended up back on counter strike... thats pretty much my online gaming experience

I'v just really got into xbox live now, i played GoW for about a week during my free month of gold and tho it was a good pass time, its pretty hard to find a decent match or not get stuck in a lobby with mouthy A-holes

i finally renewed my gold and started playing CoD4 online this morning, the players there seem friendly enough and the games are pretty evenly matched regardless of rank so its probably gonna be my online game of choice for the time being

• 1 month later...