Buying Used 360 "Stuff"

Tatanko

So today is the day I go home for winter break (from college). My roommate has a 360 at home and left his core unit here and offered it to me if I wanted to find stuff for it to use over break (I don't have my own 360 right now). I have no hard drive, no controllers, no games. Where would you guys suggest going to go on the cheap side (even used) for these items? Keep in mind I will likely be getting my own 360 soon enough, so that's why I don't mind putting money down. I just don't have the hundreds to spend on a bunch of new stuff.

I was curious to see if an external HDD would work on a 360 but I guess not?

So today is the day I go home for winter break (from college). My roommate has a 360 at home and left his core unit here and offered it to me if I wanted to find stuff for it to use over break (I don't have my own 360 right now). I have no hard drive, no controllers, no games. Where would you guys suggest going to go on the cheap side (even used) for these items? Keep in mind I will likely be getting my own 360 soon enough, so that's why I don't mind putting money down. I just don't have the hundreds to spend on a bunch of new stuff.

I was curious to see if an external HDD would work on a 360 but I guess not?

Unfortunately externals HDD's don't work with the 360. If they did M$ would lose all kinds of money. If you're going to be getting your own 360 soon I'd suggest just using a memory card for now. You can't buy a 360 without a HDD anymore (unless it's used.) A controller is only going to cost like 40 bucks at the most.

Just get a memory card for now, there is one that comes with geometry wars. Then go to gamestop and get your controllers there. If you're part of their players program, you'll get an additional 10 percent off. If you look hard, you can get the wireless internet adapter for 60 or even less with the members discount. Better than paying 100 bucks for something that has no moving parts.

Other than that, you shouldn't need any other hardware short of a plug and play and a headset. And you can get those there too.

Get a memory unit, wired controller, and wired headset. If you get wireless controller to start out with, you will need some kind of recharger, most likely plug and play. If you get the charger base, you should get another battery unless you don't play long and often. I have a wireless headset, I don't care too much for it. After a long gaming session, it hurts my ear and once the battery starts dying, you can't wear it and charge it at the same time.

I'm not huge on the wireless controllers, so I don't mind buying a refurbished wired one, really. Not that I don't like wireless, I just don't ever sit far enough away that it matters :p

So basically I need a controller of some sort, a memory card, and whatever games I want to play. Simple enough. If I want anything to do with live, I'll just use an ethernet cord. The router in the house is in my room anyway, so it's no big deal.

How much do the memory cards hold? Surely not enough to download and play arcade games, which is a shame because I have Marathon and wanted to play that. Are they mostly just for game saves and stuff like that?

I'd go to Gamestop and nab a used wired controller and a used Memory Card. Maybe grab a game or two. Shouldn't cost much more than $50-$60 for the card and controller.

Then, you'd have those when you buy your 360. A memory card should serve your needs until then and you can easily transfer your data to your HDD once you get your 360.

512MB Memory Unit (MU) is $50 at retail. I'm not sure if it could hold Marathon, would guess that it can't. I have a 64MB MU and it holds quite a bit of saves. I mainly use it to travel with my GT so I don't have to recover it and also to take save files with me if I have configurations I want to use (Rainbow 6: Vegas, Chromehounds, etc.).

I'm not huge on the wireless controllers, so I don't mind buying a refurbished wired one, really. Not that I don't like wireless, I just don't ever sit far enough away that it matters :p

So basically I need a controller of some sort, a memory card, and whatever games I want to play. Simple enough. If I want anything to do with live, I'll just use an ethernet cord. The router in the house is in my room anyway, so it's no big deal.

How much do the memory cards hold? Surely not enough to download and play arcade games, which is a shame because I have Marathon and wanted to play that. Are they mostly just for game saves and stuff like that?

Wired controllers are even cheaper. So whatever suits your fancy when to comes to the controllers. Also with wireless, if you don't need it don't get it. I just like the convenience so I paid the 60 bucks for it.

Memory cards hold 256 and 512 mb I believe, but you will eventually outgrow it because your profile grows with every game you play. I think mine is close to 50mb for my profile alone, and that dosen't include gamesaves. Gamesaves aren't big, but they do add up to be too big for a memory card. The memory card is also a convient way to transport your profile from 360 to 360 without recovering.

The 64MB units are extremely cheap on eBay, that's why I considered one of them. A 512MB unit would be nice, though. I don't think I'll be able to get it anywhere near as cheap, though, but I'll look around. Cheapest I found a 20GB hard drive for was like $60 all said and done, but I'll check out used ones locally as well.

The thing is here is that I will eventually get a 360 of my own, which will have it's own hard drive. Therefore it's hard to justify the cost of a hard drive now for an 360 that isn't even mine that will get used for about a month. Whereas a controller and memory card I can keep and use once I get my own 360. If it's cheap enough, I'll consider it, but I dunno...