PDA

View Full Version : Man sells Guitar Hero III for 9,000 bucks!

MadMartign
12-17-2007, 11:33 PM
apparently, he caught his 15 yr old son smokin some reefer with his buddies, and decided as punishment he would sell his x-mas present, GH III. He ebayed it and made 9 grand on it from some guy in Australia..

This has to top any of the console crazes that have happened in the past... the big one that comes to mind is the PS2.

linky: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071217/wr_nm/videogame_life_dc;_ylt=Ajg0R.bhLE1tLY65uaZTpR8K77E F

Note to Mods: if this is already posted , please lock and delete, I just didn't see it anywhere else on the site :) thanks.

Sanction
12-17-2007, 11:36 PM
Woooooooooooooooooow.

If I was that kid I'd be pissed.

Bluntman428
12-17-2007, 11:38 PM
LOL, oh wow, that's great.

Good to see parents who stick to their guns. I probably just would've given him a good ole' fashioned 50's-style ass whippin though and kept GH3 for myself. :p

razzleson
12-17-2007, 11:38 PM
How the fuck did it sell for that much? Are they that scarce is Australia? I could buy one off Craig's List for $120 (if not less) as we speak.

Zombieslayer42
12-17-2007, 11:40 PM
Woooooooooooooooooow.

If i was that game I'd be pissed.

Sanction
12-17-2007, 11:41 PM
This sort of story happens every year during the holidays, some kid is bad, the parent(s) sell all his/her presents.

I remember one like this happened a few years ago with the Gamecube, the parent sold it and all the games they bought because the kid was being a brat.

Awesome, nonetheless though.

MadMartign
12-17-2007, 11:41 PM
I have no idea why it sold for that much.... but like i said thats gotta blow the lid off any game sale for sure even the rare ones... probably even most console mania sales too

DoM cAbAn
12-18-2007, 12:41 AM
I couldn't believe this when I heard it. When my dad told me about it, he said, "If you're Guitar Hero 3 is worth that much, then I'm selling it, too." :p

Xterm1n8or
12-18-2007, 12:45 AM
This is amazing! What is stoping me going out now buying a dozen copies of GH3 and selling them for £4000 a piece? Whoever payed that is either rich and stupid, or just very stupid.

You can get the game anywhere here, its not exactly sold out.

xGodDogx
12-18-2007, 12:54 AM
Wow!! the most i ever sold a game was about 75% profit more then the game it self was way back i bought the game for like $50 and sold for like $90 but that guy made some serious profit lol...

Honkymagoo
12-18-2007, 01:02 AM
Guys it's obviously a joke bid. No one in their right minds would pay 9000% over the actual price. Not for something like GH3 which isn't even hard to find.

Vista
12-18-2007, 01:06 AM
Woooooooooooooooooow.

I wouldnt, knowing my parents, they would get me a better gift after I faked i cried and was sorry.

Anyway Hugs not Drugs :p

run ita charlie
12-18-2007, 02:59 AM
i really don't think the auction is real....but if it is real then i bet the father is glad he caught his son smoking weed lol

Tussell
12-18-2007, 03:46 AM
Parents freak out to much about pot. Luckily, my parents reacted the way I would react with my kids.

she haunts me
12-18-2007, 03:50 AM
The guy who purchased this wasted 9 grand. This game wasn't that great so I don't even think it's worth the 100 dollars. but that's just me. He should have got Rock Band for that much.

Wallace Suka
12-18-2007, 03:59 AM
Huh, who knew Guitar Hero III will lead kids to drugs? Still, if that bid is true. How is the father going to spend the cash gained?

n1n3t33nd3lta
12-18-2007, 04:02 AM
wow...I'm glad my mom doesn't catch me. I'd hate for my HDTV to be sold on ebay..what a retarded douche paying 9 grand for a game that doesn't cost over 110.

killerkink
12-18-2007, 04:15 AM
Crazy news...I doubt anyone would pay that much.

Skillet
12-18-2007, 04:36 AM
Simple answer to not allowing your dad to gain a 8999% profit on your gamez?

Don't smoke pot!

Seriousely, I had a friend that smoked the reefer and it smelled nasty enough to keep me away from it forever.

DFILL450
12-18-2007, 05:22 AM
Simple answer to not allowing your dad to gain a 8999% profit on your gamez?

Don't smoke pot!

Seriousely, I had a friend that smoked the reefer and it smelled nasty enough to keep me away from it forever.
A lot of people love the smell of weed. I personally hate it though and i can't stand it. I haven't touched that stuff either, even though i was around it all the time with my cousins this summer.

Tussel i agree with you, but at the same time I don't. Parents have every right to flip out on their kids, because weed prevents them to be all they can be. And just because everyone does it doesn't make it right :p

Okay so thats enough of me being Confucius for one day. Anyways, that dad is lucky! And i would hate to be that kid. But if I were him, and the dad did get me Barbie, I would play the hell out of that game just to rub it in his face :woop:

TheOwnlyRacer
12-18-2007, 05:24 AM
Makes me want to see how much I can get from my GHIII. :p

Bluntman428
12-18-2007, 05:28 AM
Parents freak out to much about pot. Luckily, my parents reacted the way I would react with my kids.

Ha, I wish my parents were cool about it. My dad was a drill sergeant in the army for 20 years though, so needless to say he wasn't quite so understanding.

Took me a long time for my parents to accept it. Eventually I won when I pointed out that I stopped getting arrested, got back into school, and quit getting in fights every couple weeks when I quit drinking and started smoking. The lesser of two evils, so to speak. :p

LethalRope
12-18-2007, 06:46 PM
This kid is really a rock star drugs and rocknroll apart from hes missing that part now.

''I am still considering getting him a game for his Nintendo. Maybe something like Barbie," added the father.

Thats a kick in the balls if he does that :).

AlexUplinked
12-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Heh...Thats just insane. I know there have being rumors that someone sold a Tesco bag (So for Americans that don't know :P its like wallmart), for £5. Also another less believable story is that someone sold an air guitar for £5000.

[Alex]

Honkymagoo
12-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Parents have every right to flip out on their kids, because weed prevents them to be all they can be.

That's the gayest thing I've ever heard. Smoking weed is just a phase kids go through. An expensive phase. If you're older than 20 and you smoke pot regularly you need to get some things in order. Same goes for drinking. There's a difference between having fun and having a problem.

MuhFucNAdams
12-18-2007, 07:24 PM
His parents must have been laughing all the way to the bank.

Krazie
12-18-2007, 07:54 PM
This has to be fake..

Also like to point out that the copy purchased is a NTSC version, whereas Australia plays PAL. So if this IS true, which I doubt, that Australian better have a NTSC console already, or else he'll be shelling out some more money :p

Adam Miller
12-18-2007, 08:17 PM
This has to be fake..

Also like to point out that the copy purchased is a NTSC version, whereas Australia plays PAL. So if this IS true, which I doubt, that Australian better have a NTSC console already, or else he'll be shelling out some more money :p

Well that would just top the story off, im with it being fake. Why would even post the story anyway.

gravest_jimmy
12-18-2007, 08:25 PM
$9000 thats 1 xbox ($400), 4 wireless controllers ($120), a lord knows how many inches HDTV ($2000), 2 copies of GH3 ($300), about 10 £30 ($60) games, and you'd still have about $5000 to spend on weed so that you can shove it up the kids ass for being a complete and utter pillock (idiot).

P.S. i relly hope hes on this forum so we can take the piss out of him!!

(BTW all pricing done here reflects the british exchange rate on the USD so it may cost more or less, i have no idea i suck at maths)

Ho5tiLe D
12-18-2007, 08:56 PM
for sure...if that auction was legit, they are probably going on one nice vacation. if i could get 200 bucks for my copy of gh3 id sell it and just rebuy it after the holidays.

KINGxSAINT
12-18-2007, 09:48 PM
uhh people im the one who bought the game :woop:

YOUR TELLING ME I WAS RIPPED OFF :eek:

zdarko43
12-18-2007, 10:03 PM
lol makes me consider selling my stuff on ebay with some kind of fake story. :p
anyways, i saw this article on kotaku.com a few days ago, and i think that's just absolutely insane. some guy in australia bought it. could u imagine, going to work/school/whatever then when u got home to check your ebay, and BOOM!! your auction sold for 9k!
i think i would crap myself then be extremely happy because i would probably have a party! :p
(assuming the guy actually paid for the auction and didnt bid just to bid lol)

DrMoltar507
12-18-2007, 10:16 PM
jesuschristh!

WeeChrissy360
12-18-2007, 10:22 PM
my god - are you serious??

wow, if that happened to me, I would kill myself with a full mounted shotgun blast to the face

B Rad8908
12-18-2007, 11:01 PM
Yeah, I noticed this article on the front page of yahoo a couple of days back. That's pretty crazy.

TheColdWolf
12-18-2007, 11:09 PM
Why, do that GH3 is one of the best games and why do something stupid like that.

Honkymagoo
12-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Why, do that GH3 is one of the best games and why do something stupid like that.

Rock Band >>>GH2>>GH1>>>>GH3

uhh people im the one who bought the game :woop:

YOU'RE TELLING ME I WAS RIPPED OFF?!? :eek:

I lol'd. I also edited your post. :p

Jdm
12-19-2007, 08:46 AM
It's simple guys. The Father included all the drugs the Son had with GHIII.:p

I once saw a stock B18C5(Acura Integra Type R motor) on eBay and it was going for 10K+. The motor on average goes for more or less 3K. Now this was being discussed on a car forum I was with at the time and many of us came to the conclusion that there were drugs stashed in the block. It just doesn't sound right. Either that, or it's fake like what Krazie said.

Bullet2theface
12-19-2007, 04:40 PM
common guys, at least he gets Barbie for Nintendo!

Bajan Elite
12-19-2007, 05:12 PM
whoever payed 9 grand is retarded simple as that

J O 12 D
12-19-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm with Bullet...I would much rather have Barbie for Nintendo than Guitar Hero..god. :p

RFT 123
12-19-2007, 06:36 PM
I wouldn't smoke that stuff, so anything like that wouldn't happen to me. The person who bought it....be ashamed, be very ashamed!

TyloSB
12-19-2007, 08:01 PM
common guys, at least he gets Barbie for Nintendo!

I would actually rather get Barney: Hide and Go Seek for Sega. Much better gameplay then Barbie ;). " FOUND YOU!!"

Adebisi 187
12-20-2007, 02:57 AM
I have been smoking for the past 8 years and can tell you theres absolutely nothing wrong about it, or any "harm". Anyone that says something along those lines is just ignorant and probably has never tried smoking themselves. Currently in college for pre-med my junior year with a 3.6+gpa and smoke at least once a day. and i smoke with my dad back at home, sucks for this kid.

Anyway thats pretty ridiculous, but then again the average house in my town is 1million+ so i wouldnt be suprised if a parent i know did that

Honkymagoo
12-20-2007, 04:06 AM
I have been smoking for the past 8 years and can tell you theres absolutely nothing wrong about it, or any "harm". Anyone that says something along those lines is just ignorant and probably has never tried smoking themselves. Currently in college for pre-med my junior year with a 3.6+gpa and smoke at least once a day. and i smoke with my dad back at home, sucks for this kid.

Anyway thats pretty ridiculous, but then again the average house in my town is 1million+ so i wouldnt be suprised if a parent i know did that

It's funny how in denial stoner's are about the effects. Smoking ANYTHING isn't good for you. Your brain has something called receptors. When something good happens and you feel "happy" it's because endorphins were released from your pituitary gland and picked up by these receptors in your brain. When you use marijuana (or any other drug) it takes the place of these endorphins that are created by your body. With extended use your body will start to produce less and less endorphins. The receptors are also damaged in the process. So after smoking pot for 8 years if you were to suddenly stop you have actually created a physical dependency and you would feel like shit. I believe that's something most potheads believe to be untrue.

It's also VERY possible to develop lung cancer and respiratory problems. Like I said before. If you smoke anything you are at risk. Not to mention most weed these days is cut with other drugs and you probably don't even realize it. Unless you're growing this stuff in your backyard you can't be certain of the purity. The way you smoke it also comes into play. Using homemade bongs/pipes made from plastic cans, tin foil, aluminum, etc is not healthy. Burning any of those items has hazardous effects. Inhaling it deep into your lungs? How healthy can that be?

So you can keep defending marijuana as something completely harmless and claiming that naysayers don't know the facts. It's bullshit and I know it because I've been there. I didn't even get into how it makes you feel shitty and burnt out or the short term memory loss. I figure that's a given.

pongsifu
12-20-2007, 04:39 AM
The dad says if someone makes a new account and bids a huge amount that they obviously don't plan on paying, he won't stop the bid and his son will get the game.

Its obviously the kid and probably his friends as well that made those final bids.

DFILL450
12-20-2007, 04:55 AM
That's the gayest thing I've ever heard. Smoking weed is just a phase kids go through. An expensive phase.
I have a couple friends that are major pot heads, and I can tell you that their gonna get nowhere in life. Its been proven that weed kills brain cells. Therefore preventing you from being at your full potential. Weed isnt as bad for you as cigarettes though.

Your right though. People smoke weed just so they can get through the adolescent phase in life. I'm taking the other road though and toughening it out. ;)

TheLazyWolf
12-20-2007, 05:45 AM
$9000 thats 1 xbox ($400), 4 wireless controllers ($120), a lord knows how many inches HDTV ($2000), 2 copies of GH3 ($300), about 10 £30 ($60) games, and you'd still have about $5000 to spend on weed so that you can shove it up the kids ass for being a complete and utter pillock (idiot).

P.S. i relly hope hes on this forum so we can take the piss out of him!!

(BTW all pricing done here reflects the british exchange rate on the USD so it may cost more or less, i have no idea i suck at maths)

Actually thats pretty perfect conversions and math. nice. I think wireless controllers might be a little more expensive but other than that, thats exactly what we pay.

If you read the article, you will see the guy was asking $90 for the game. The austrailan who bid, bid $9100. Think about it. He meant to bid $91.00 for it, and missed the decimal point. Thats pretty basic common sense, i can't believe yahoo made a story about it. Had the guy actually ended up paying $9100, then it would be a story.

I have a couple friends that are major pot heads, and I can tell you that their gonna get nowhere in life. Its been proven that weed kills brain cells. Therefore preventing you from being at your full potential. Weed isnt as bad for you as cigarettes though.

Whoa hang on a minute there, cowboy. Show me one credible study that says that weed kills brain cells. The governmental health departments of almost every civilized country say otherwise. Studies show that it slows down your capacity to retain details, but that all effects completely dissipate 30 days from the last usage.

On the other hand, if you were right, and pot did kill brain cells, how on earth could you say that cigarettes would be worse for you than pot? Cigarettes destroy your lungs, not your brain. In fact lots of studies show that nicotene can actually help stave off alzheimers in some people, though admittedly, there are better ways of using nicotene than smoking.

I smoke weed everyday. I am smoking as i post this. Im 25, which is too old to be drafted, so im not exactly a young kid. When i was a teenager i was a wildchild who loved to drink. I am amazingly good at saying things that piss people off when i drink. I tend to start fights. I also feel like shit the next morning. On the otherhand, if i smoke some weed im calm, level-headed, and rational. I credit it with saving my life, and as its extraordinarily easy to grow, hence the term weed, you can grow more that you could ever smoke on your own in a 3by3 closet, with a little patience and research.

I'm not saying that every should get stoned. Im just saying that it helps some people, and if you don't smoke it fine, but don't judge people who do.

pongsifu
12-20-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm not saying that every should get stoned. Im just saying that it helps some people, and if you don't smoke it fine, but don't judge people who do.

Helps people with glaucoma, and the rest of the people who use it is either to look cool in front of others or as a temporary escape. I don't use weed and I think it should be legal so the government can focus on more important issues, but being better than other detrimental drugs isn't a benefit. Almost everyone I know smokes weed, I was at a party the other night with everyone I used to work with at my old job, only me and one other guy out of the entire staff that worked there and the people that they invited, didn't smoke weed at that party. I guess I'm a minority in that I don't want to waste money (and possibly time in the event of a cop) on looking cool. As with every drug and substance it starts socially and ends up as just feeding a habit in a room by yourself.

Honkymagoo
12-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Helps people with glaucoma, and the rest of the people who use it is either to look cool in front of others or as a temporary escape. I don't use weed and I think it should be legal so the government can focus on more important issues, but being better than other detrimental drugs isn't a benefit. Almost everyone I know smokes weed, I was at a party the other night with everyone I used to work with at my old job, only me and one other guy out of the entire staff that worked there and the people that they invited, didn't smoke weed at that party. I guess I'm a minority in that I don't want to waste money (and possibly time in the event of a cop) on looking cool. As with every drug and substance it starts socially and ends up as just feeding a habit in a room by yourself.

I think if the Government made it legal less people would care about doing it. If it's legal it doesn't make you a "badass." It's the same reason countries that don't have drinking ages don't have problems with teen drinking.

It always starts off with someone having some at a party and you say, "Eh why not." You smoke a few times like that and you have a good time. Then it turns to, "Eh I'll just buy a gram for the weekend and smoke it at a party." That goes on for awhile and it's still just social. Maybe you start buying more because you aren't getting as high as before. Then one day you find yourself coming home from school and lighting up in your room to just "relax" and it's only this one time.

It may sound cliché but it's a gateway drug. Sure it doesn't happen to everyone but it does happen. I have a friend who used to just smoke weed. Then he started popping pills. He went to rehab and when he got out said he was done with drugs. Next thing you know he's a coke addict and back in rehab. Gets out and says the same thing. Now he does acid. That's just one case. I knew a lot of people in my graduating class that did coke, E, and painkillers.

Mirksta
12-20-2007, 08:43 PM
It didn't sell for $9100... read the article.

The oz guy bid $9100, most likely by accident, but if you know anything about eBay you know that your highest bid isn't the immediate bid. If someone else bid $9000 then it woulda sold for 9100.
I'm guessing the oz forgot to stick in a . when he meant to go for $91.00

TheLazyWolf
12-21-2007, 02:48 AM
It may sound cliché but it's a gateway drug. Sure it doesn't happen to everyone but it does happen. I have a friend who used to just smoke weed. Then he started popping pills. He went to rehab and when he got out said he was done with drugs. Next thing you know he's a coke addict and back in rehab. Gets out and says the same thing. Now he does acid. That's just one case. I knew a lot of people in my graduating class that did coke, E, and painkillers.

Pot is not a gateway drug. The people who are predisposed to trying something that they are told is bad (pot) are going to be predisposed to trying other things that they are told are bad. Thats a personality defect, pot has nothing to do with it. When pot becomes responsible for 1/1000th of the deaths caused by alcohol, maybe you could call it dangerous.

I get it, you guys don't smoke, nor do you want to smoke. Thats fine. Im not trying to convince anyone to start smoking pot. People are not all the same. Different chemicals effect peoples chemistry differently. People with OCD or Bipolar disorder also tend to see good results from smoking, its not just for glacoma.

Its stereotyping, the same thing you seem to have a problem with when it is applied to say... musical genres? When you say NO ONE should smoke pot, thats no different than me saying NO ONE should like rap. Heck just the rappers themselves have been responsible for more deaths than pot.

Jdm
12-21-2007, 03:01 AM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j194/jdizzledeeznutz/Mr_Mackey.jpg

Locking this down before it gets ugly.