PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler Free FAQ

kornfan2007
12-18-2007, 05:17 PM
One suggestion I can make is a spoiler free FAQ or spoiler tagged FAQ. The game I noticed this would be needed on is Bioshock.

The FAQ does not have spoiler tags and just 'This may contain spoiliers' written on it. This then puts people off reading it if they have not finished the game and therefore they post a new topic which people will respond with read the FAQ.

antilucid
12-18-2007, 06:00 PM
A few spots in the guide for Mass Effect are not very well tagged to be spoiler free. This kind of annoyed me.

Zef
12-18-2007, 07:21 PM
The FAQs were made just before spoiler tags were introduced, so you may understand why there are none in there =) You should PM The Pants Party about 20 times asking him to put spoiler tags in, much more fun than posting a thread about it.

The Pants Party
12-18-2007, 09:54 PM
If you're reading a FAQ or Achievement Guide, you can bet there will be talk of happenings during the course of the game. That means spoilers. Common sense, really.

KingGotenW
12-18-2007, 11:11 PM
FAQ = spoilers

cant have FAQ without spoilers. dont read the FAQ. or get a friend to read it for you

antilucid
12-19-2007, 05:08 AM
If you're reading a FAQ or Achievement Guide, you can bet there will be talk of happenings during the course of the game. That means spoilers. Common sense, really.
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/guide.php?gameID=285
One of my biggest references was to the entry in the mass effect guide where someone merely just used "SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and then proceeded to post the spoiler right below it. If you are gonna post a spoiler alert at all, at least dont post it right above the spoiler like so. I was attempting to read about Search And Rescue which happens potentially at the earlier stages of the game and not Charismatic which is the entry right above for some odd placement reason that is beyond me.

And it is quite possible to post guides on the main part of the site and still leave spoilers hidden. White text on a white background works wonders.

Sometimes people want a hint, not a sledgehammer.

The Pants Party
12-19-2007, 07:56 AM
I repeat, if you're reading a guide or FAQ, then you're not playing the game pure anyway, so you can expect spoilers and we will not be doing anything to block them. If you want the story to be completely new and fresh, play the game blind.

antilucid
12-19-2007, 09:53 AM
I repeat, if you're reading a guide or FAQ, then you're not playing the game pure anyway, so you can expect spoilers and we will not be doing anything to block them. If you want the story to be completely new and fresh, play the game blind.
Correct me if I am wrong but the point of a feedback section is to post what we feel could be done better. Some of us have done so here in this thread only to be shot down by your sarcasm. This is not exactly all inspiring to me and others to want to post future feedback if this is the sort of attention we can expect.

The Pants Party
12-19-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm not being sarcastic, it literally is not feasible to filter out spoilers from our FAQs and achievement guides. If the question is "how do I kill the final boss?" and who the final boss is should be a secret, then that is going to be a spoiler. If an achievement calls for betraying your best friend in level six, you can bet that's a spoiler as well.

I have heard the feedback, and processed the feedback, and it is not something we can do. I'm not trying to be a dick, it's just not a possible change for the site.

mig029
12-21-2007, 03:28 AM
it is my belief that the guides are made to help you after you beat the game, thus their should be no reason for spoiler warnings. the first run through a game should be for a immersive experience.