Why do you get achievements?

richroadkill

I was wondering.. what drives you guys to get achievements and that 1000 gamerscore? I have been going through the games over the past few weeks trying hard to get my score up. Not always completing them all to the 1000, some are damn hard.

I then thought to myself why am I actually sitting here for all these hours boosting my gamerscore.. at the end of the day what do we achieve? There are not any prizes to be had are there?

What do you think?

Rich

At the end of the day it comes down to personal achievement and also bragging rights; two things the human race thrives on. In real life, you're always trying to be better than the next person and hate being upstaged, and how good does it feel to brag about that amazing footy goal you scored or that hot mama sita you banged the other night? Same with the achievements.

now when people ask if youve beaten for example, Bioshock, they can see what all youve done while you went thru the game. most people will run thru on easy, upgrade 2-3 weapons kill sander cohen the first time they see him, not hit the jackpot, etc. then they look at your gamercard and see that youve found all the weapon stages, done all your research, beat the game on hard etc

so achievement's in a way are proof of what youve done in a game and, in a way you get more replay value out of your games.

It gives me something to work for while playing a game. Personally, I think it makes a game more enjoyable because you get the satisfaction of getting Achievements. ;)

I have to second this. Before, with games such as Madden and NCAA there really wasn't a reason to play some of the game modes such as Superstar mode and 30 years of franchise mode. Now, thanks to achievements, there's a reason to play those modes, play them longer and to play the game longer. Achievements make you play games a lot more and a lot longer.

I get them cuss they give me something to do on the game... when I had just the original xbox i didn't play it much... but I got the 360 and the achievements made it all worth wild...

I noticed every time I get an achievement I always look at it I don't care if I know what it was I will read it again... I don't know why...

Well it just makes me feel better. Sometimes when I look at my gamercard in pregame lobbies or so and see games that I never completed I don't feel I got my full moneysworth out of the game. Once a game is complete it basically means to me that I got my use out of it. The single player achievement only games kind of tick me off when they have a multiplayer on the game. Makes very few people play online in some of the not as popular games. I still love them though.

I get achievements because they make me feel like i've accomplished something. Not in life, but in my most favorite hobby. Believe it or not, but a big part of my life is videogames (no i'm not one of those no lifers who doesn't know what the sun looks like) and to be able to accomplish something makes you feel pretty damn good. At the end of my gaming session its always nice to go to the xbox menu and see my 20k+ GS staring at me :D even though my rl friends taunt me about it :(

For me it's just personal satisfaction. When I have a game i want to get the maximum gs i can. I don't mind my total gs it's only the gs per game that have importance for me.

by the way GS is good because you can easily compare to other players and it prove what you've completed on the game.

But be careful getting a high gs can cause a lack of sleeping........;)

I just like the feeling of being the 5th person in the world to get a 1000 in a game. It just make me feel like i have done my goal for the games. Most games set these achievement so that your down right to all parts of the games. So when i get that 1000 in my prfile i know i have done almost everything possible in that games and feel good doing that.