Play & Charge Kit - Won't Stop Charging!

ThirdeYe

I just bought a play & charge kit today so I could leave my controller on to get some achievements but it won't stop charging my batteries, even after they're full. I've tried using my computer and the 360, and three different rechargeable battery packs and two different controllers. The light just stays red, and never turns green. I've let it sit for 8 hours and still red, even though the battery is hot and full. The worst part is that when I took the battery out after charging 8 hours (this battery's worked perfectly before btw) it didn't show any lights on my quick charge kit anymore, so I'm assuming this cord fried my battery. Anyone else have any ideas? I'll probably just return it tomorrow, but I wasn't sure if I'm just doing something wrong, or it normally takes over 8 hours to charge a battery even after it's full? lol

1. How do you know it's full? The guide battery meter isn't the most accurate in the world.

2. Batteries get hot when they charge. Fact.

3. My P&C kit can take up to 10 hours to get my battery completely charged. Remember, you're using the battery as you're playing. I usually leave mine plugged in overnight. The 360 will remain in a low-power "sleep" mode until the battery is charged and will then shut down.

1. How do you know it's full? The guide battery meter isn't the most accurate in the world.

2. Batteries get hot when they charge. Fact.

3. My P&C kit can take up to 10 hours to get my battery completely charged. Remember, you're using the battery as you're playing. I usually leave mine plugged in overnight. The 360 will remain in a low-power "sleep" mode until the battery is charged and will then shut down.

I put the battery into my quick charger and it turned green right away, thus it's full. Plus I knew it was fully charged before I plugged in the play & charge kit as I recharged it only a few minutes before. As for using as I was playing, I wasn't playing. I had the console on but I just had the game sitting the entire time (trying to get time achievements). I suppose I could just leave it on overnight and see if it ever stops charging, since I already think it may have messed up my battery...

It didn't mess up the battery, don't worry about that.

Also, if the controller is plugged in while the console is turned on, the controller remains on as well. Just because you aren't pushing buttons doesn't mean the controller isn't using the battery.

Also you should never continue to charge a fully charged battery. If the P&C kit did "fry" your battery, it's because you keep trying to charge it when it's already full. The red light will remain on if the battery's status remains the same for those 8 hours. There's a reason the instructions on all rechargeable batteries tell you to completely deplete the batteries before recharging. You should at least wait for the controller's ring of light to flash in the low battery pattern before plugging in that cable.

EDIT: Well, I don't know if your battery is really fried since the only information you gave on that subject is the fact that the lights aren't on when you slap it in the Quick Charge.

Does the battery still work?

Well the weird thing is that I've been using rechargeables for the past year, using my quick charge kit and it never mattered if I charged them when they were dead, nearly dead, half full, 3/4 full, etc. the light would always turn green when they were done charging and I'd get a good week of play out of each pack...

You're missing the point. You're not supposed to charge batteries unless they're drained completely. I never said it wouldn't work, I said you're not supposed to do that. I've done it before and it can be done, yes, but read the instructions on any pack of batteries. Hell, even cell phone batteries are supposed to be dead before being charged.

That being said, I'm not trying to tell you what to do but you asked for help, did you not? I've given several answers and you're being defensive. It's your choice if you return the P&C Kit or not but I happen to think it's a very usefull item and I'm simply trying to answer your questions. Which I believe I did in my first post.

Sorry if I missunderstood your thread.

9-1/2 hours later, the battery finally stopped charging and turned green (marks this on my calendar) I didn't intend to be defensive, but I've heard from people that it's a bad idea to let your batteries fully discharge, as they could supposedly lose their capacity. Not sure if that's true or not though, just a rumor I heard. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't defective, that's all. I've been really happy with the life I've been getting out of these batteries. I do appreciate the help/advice though, don't get me wrong :) Thanks a lot.

Well i have had problems with the recharble kit. Some how mine has broken also and i have no clue what happened but for some reason mine dosent even come on any more so i think my wire has been ripped/teared and i have to buy one. But like everyone says dont charge more then you need too. And if you want to get the achievments where you got to be on for a long period of time either just stay and play or get a wired controller.

I've got one and i don't even think the light changes to green after it is charged. I've left mine on over night came back in the morning and the red light had just turned off so i checked the controller battery and it was fully charged. I also lost mine the other day think the builders had stolen it infact it was plugged into the controller i was so blind :(.

I'm not going to be using this to charge my batteries anymore, I have other chargers for that. Mainly got it for the achievements. I found out that you can use the cable without a battery pack in it though, so that's what I'm going to be doing for those long achievements, and use my quick charge kit for charging my batteries.