PDA

View Full Version : X360A needs your opinion!

razzleson
12-19-2007, 08:11 AM
Recently we at X360A have been trying a few different ways of holding contests.

Over the past couple months we've tried a few different ways of giving our prizes:
-Simple "post"
-Questions that require the e-mail being sent to a specific e-mail
-Questions with best answer winning
-Contests where you play a game, best score wins

What kind of contests did you personally like? Which do you dislike? How can we take contests we've done in the past and make them better?

Nick G 42390
12-19-2007, 08:15 AM
Well, I for one would prefer contest that require you to be a member here for awhile or at least that you stick around and contribute to the community. I find it unfair that people can come to the site, make an account just for a contest and never come back and they have a shot at winning. I understand the contest are held to bring in new members but exactly how many stay and contribute to the forum?

So, maybe have a few contest for some people who have been around awhile and have contributed to the forum? That's just my idea.

EDIT: I believe the word is spelled, months not montsh. Lol.;)

Birky
12-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Well, I for one would prefer contest that require you to be a member here for awhile or at least that you stick around and contribute to the community. I find it unfair that people can come to the site, make an account just for a contest and never come back and they have a shot at winning. I understand the contest are held to bring in new members but exactly how many stay and contribute to the forum?

So, maybe have a few contest for some people who have been around awhile and have contributed to the forum? That's just my idea.

I agree with Nick. Every once and awhile when you get nicer prizers you should get them out to more dedicated members. Maybe have a 250, 500, or more post limit. Whenever there are contests were you just post and could win, it really bothers me. Usually there are like 1,000 contestants, and half of them have a post count under 10. I do like the contests were your opinion decides the winner.

Tussell
12-19-2007, 01:44 PM
I honostly have no interest in the 'Contests where you play a game, best score wins'. That's just personally me. Losing me as a contestant isn't much, so it's not really worth the worry. But just for statistics, that's my vote.

-kthnxbye

Pez
12-19-2007, 01:50 PM
I think every once in awhile we should hold a simple 'post' competition, for the reason of them being easy. :p

I do like the competitions where you have to go to a website and find out an answer, or browse the internet to come up with the answer, then send that answer off to an email.

I suppose I just dig the whole investigating the web thing. :p

Also, for the competitions, I think we should put something like a 50-post requirement to enter. I think that's quite small and fair at the same time. That way, if someone wants to enter a competition, they have to stick around for a bit first before they can.

~SS

razzleson
12-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Just want to throw this out there, post-limit comps if we have them will be rare. Not only does it scare away new members, it gets those with a low post count to spam.

Just like when the GSL starts every season, it's a spam fest.

No need to respond to this, just wanted to throw this out there.

jackanape
12-19-2007, 03:21 PM
I understand the need to stop spam, but I agree that it's annoying that members just join up to win competitions and then vanish. It just seems that the longer term members have zero benefits for sticking around and helping out.

While I do like the 'best answer wins' style of competition, as they are fun to enter, they just seem far too subjective to be that fair. That's just my opinion but I've often looked at the winners and thought 'why did that win'.

Also going for a high score in a game is fun, but look at the massive 700,000+ score already posted on Asteroids - it just puts people off taking part as they have no way of beating that score.

I think sticking to a simple 'post here' or Q & A will be the best bet, then through in something different every now and again.

zdarko43
12-19-2007, 03:35 PM
as far as the post-count goes, you're right, it'll only run up spam with useless crap. but back on topic:

Over the past couple months we've tried a few different ways of giving our prizes:
-Simple "post"

What kind of contests did you personally like? Which do you dislike? How can we take contests we've done in the past and make them better?

well these are all great idea for contests, but to further in-depth setup, is to have a tournament style game wins, with single elimination(just incase if there is a ton of ppl expressing interest)

honeslty, i have only participated in posts, as well as email an answer find.
maybe you could also run some type of contest with the "best" or "funniest" caption to a random photo you guys find. I have noticed in a few magazines and other websites run this and it really brings out the creativity without the artistic ablilities.

just a couple of ideas. :)

n1n3t33nd3lta
12-19-2007, 03:40 PM
I would rather do head to head competitions. Gamerscore and post count comps really suck because I'm fairly low in both. Head to head I can say that someone beat me fair and square instead of them being a member longer or been playing 360 longer than I have.

W. Samuel Jones III
12-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Recently we at X360A have been trying a few different ways of holding contests.

-Simple "post"

I think a contest for the highest game score is a good idea.

Minty
12-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Its not about a contest for highest gamerscore, we are asking how we should set up competitions for the future- i.e should we say you must have 100 posts and been a member for 3 months, or not bother.

And should we do simple "post your gamertag below" comps, or ones where you have to answer a question.

antilucid
12-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Personally, I think the contest should be reflected in the giveaway. Like for example, what you have done so far with Asteroids. Having us answer a random question about that game would not seem as feasible as a play off against high scores. Now if it is a new IP that is being given away, a couple of questions should be able to be answered to win that game as it might show that someone was willing to take time out to learn about it.

I am not a real huge fan of the lets all make 1 post and then never post again on the site unless we win. It sort of sends the wrong signals to forum users who have been here a lot longer. An email method of that could also make it appear less intimidating.

Some other fun ideas could be trivia contests. Each day you post a new question and people email in their answer and get an entry in to the drawing. After 10 or 15 days, it could be possible to earn xx number of entries based on how many question of the day you were able to answer.

we are asking how we should set up competitions for the future- i.e should we say you must have 100 posts and been a member for 3 months, or not bother.
Instead of forcing a spam off like what was mentioned earlier, I would say being a member for at least 3 months would be appropriate. If it is a bigger prize, you could also extend the length of how long they would have to have been a member.

Sanction
12-19-2007, 04:42 PM
The traditional way of 'posting your entry' is fine. It makes it a ton easier to judge.

Speaking of which...who won the AC contest?

Slarak
12-19-2007, 05:02 PM
I say implement the term in which a member has been active. I also like the simple post and win threads. The whole who gets the most points contest are a turn off for me.

Zef
12-19-2007, 05:50 PM

Those three are better, but 'best answer winning' is much, much better. E-mail questions are okay but usually too simplistic, but a better alternative to 'answer in the thread' ones where people can just copy the most common answer.

Playing games is more fun but there is the chance of cheating or other skullduggery that ruins other people's chances. So unless it is foolproofed or very easy to spot cheating then only use them for minor contests.

Best answer winning competitions are usually attract less interest because people actually have to do something instead of posting their name. Plus judging takes longer.

The absolute best competitions are the ones I win of course, do more of them =)

Jdm
12-19-2007, 11:09 PM

Those three are better, but 'best answer winning' is much, much better. E-mail questions are okay but usually too simplistic, but a better alternative to 'answer in the thread' ones where people can just copy the most common answer.

Playing games is more fun but there is the chance of cheating or other skullduggery that ruins other people's chances. So unless it is foolproofed or very easy to spot cheating then only use them for minor contests.

Best answer winning competitions are usually attract less interest because people actually have to do something instead of posting their name. Plus judging takes longer.

The absolute best competitions are the ones I win of course, do more of them =)

Zef literally took the words out of my mouth, but I don't agree with the "Bolded Line".:p

I believe there should be a balance. Something not too simple, but then again not too complex. This will allow ALL members to enter the contests. As long as it's fun, then I think it's something that everyone can enjoy.

Skillet
12-20-2007, 09:56 AM
Well, winning a contest or two might help me enter more and flesh out my opinion on the subject. :D

Anywho, I think you should simply have more of them. I think most of the bases have been covered in the posts above me but you guys could be giving away everything from 1 month cards to 800 MSPoints cards. I know these have been done in the past but they are also the cheapest (besides the 400MSP XBLA game giveaways that crop up from time to time).

It costs to do such things, I understand this completely but throwing a monthly 1 month card or MSPoint card contest couldn't hurt productivity any.

xGodDogx
12-20-2007, 04:39 PM
Personnaly i havent joined any other contest here as im not really intrested in the way these are run. Ive been trying to think on a way to make them alot better and diffrent thing you could try to make these contest be better or just a whole new idea of something you can do for the contest.

-One i have thought of would be cool is have everyone create a game without the graphics or the Programmer but just a comic of the game and how it would be played and the game script(Characters,Items,Levels etc..)
Over a period of 3 weeks time and then have judge the best game idea

-Charcter Design Using only Paper,Scanner,Photoshop and could be like a 2 week contest to create the best character possible.

I will think of more soon, These are just some contest i rember from the older sites i used to hang out on way back.

Minty
12-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Weve done create a game and create a character contests.......

These are the ones next to noone enters cos people are lazy. If it involves effort, not a lot of people will enter.

xGodDogx
12-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Oh!! I guess i havent been here as long as i thought i have well i guess thats what you get when you have a bunch of people playing video games all day. This kind of reminds me of the one south park video where there playing WOW and the guy gets his mom to come down while he taking a shit cause he too damn lazy.

RedstaR
12-20-2007, 05:55 PM
3 Month/50 Post Requirement.

That's really all I care about, makes it fair to the loyal members.

Adam Miller
12-20-2007, 08:44 PM
I dont know about the spamming but if we could have some of the high profile oturnys for things like actualy game for older members like 3 months.

Nick G 42390
12-20-2007, 08:52 PM
I dont know about the spamming but if we could have some of the high profile oturnys for things like actualy game for older members like 3 months.

I agree with this. I think the people who have stuck around for awhile and are active deserve a better shot at winning a game or something of high value instead of someone who posts once just for the contest does.

Vista
12-20-2007, 10:04 PM

Agreed. Its not like I don't like 1 post members signing up for contests, its just they sign up JUST FOR THE CONTEST, then they never post again. There should be a post count or people should have to be here for a while, maybe a 250 post, 3 month thing.

Blind x360a
12-20-2007, 10:48 PM
There should be a post limit. It isn't fair to us older members.

Jinksie EPR
12-20-2007, 11:09 PM
I think the majority of prizes should have a time limit on how long the members have been here, i know competitions entice new members to the site but are 30 new members who join just to enter the competition and never heard of again or say 3 new members who see's there's a competition on but they can't enter so stick around and get involved so they can for the next one. Personally quality over quantity is what i would prefer :)

As for the actual competitions themselves, i think you have a nice variation and it's always good to vary things up, maybe have competitions that make the entrants work harder for the better prizes that means some deserving wins it

razzleson
12-20-2007, 11:16 PM
I know these have been done in the past but they are also the cheapest (besides the 400MSP XBLA game giveaways that crop up from time to time).
99% of the contests we run are from donations.

But if you'd like to donate some MS points we'd be more than happy to host a comp for it :p

Jdm
12-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Agreed. Its not like I don't like 1 post members signing up for contests, its just they sign up JUST FOR THE CONTEST, then they never post again. There should be a post count or people should have to be here for a while, maybe a 250 post, 3 month thing.

There should be a post limit. It isn't fair to us older members.

I had the same discussions awhile back regarding this topic. I believe I was speaking to Pants about it.

The thing about having a "Post Cap" on the contests, it will drive new members away. We all want everyone to have a chance to win and by you submitting your name, you're automatically given a chance to win. Now with that being said, the new members that sign up for our site just to enter to contests, are members that may potentially stay with us.

I've been with the site for almost a year and I've won NOTHING so far. I've competed in the past and I've submitted my name in contests, but I still end up empty-handed. It's no biggie. Just have Fun with it all.

Can I suggest that we have a Senior Member's Contest down the line, Razzle Dazzle?

Blind x360a
12-20-2007, 11:58 PM
Razzle Dazzle? Thats my football name. :p

But how many members actually stay after signing up..

Birky
12-21-2007, 12:03 AM
Thats my football name. :p

But how many members actually stay after signing up..

Razzle Dazzle Wowwie Zowwie!

Just look through some of the old contests like the 250K post contest. The first couple pages have lots of members with high post counts (That means they were members, or stuck around) But the middle and end pages have lots of people with post counts under 10. Maybe they are just shy to voice themselves? Or they maybe they never stayed here...

Bodangles
12-21-2007, 12:17 AM
i love the contests, don't get me wrong. i might be bitter because i lost, but the last (or one of) contest like that for WWE faceplates required a reason to win. now mostly everybody in the had uner 50 and it said "because i want a faceplate." then those people won because of the random.com or whatever website. i know that sounds bitter but that is unfair, win or lose. i agree with a post count limit. hell it could be 25 i don't care, but it has to be something.

Scotian Bred
12-21-2007, 01:34 AM
maybe have contests involving the fourms .. like a search of the fourms to nab some certain anwser to some unknown question ..

Blind x360a
12-21-2007, 01:38 AM
^^Thats a good idea.

Shinobi273
12-21-2007, 01:58 AM
Maybe state a minimum membership length like 3 months etc, depending on the value of the prize, but to keep spammers from spamming the minimum, have a secret minimum in mind and have the contest organizer requalify entries on a case by case basis based on the posts the entrant has made before. Also, a spamming infraction should be grounds for being disqualified but also made secret along with the secret minimum post count. I realize that the secrecy of these changes will make it seem like nothing has changed, but I think eliminating a post target will eliminate spamming and the secret minimum will allow flexibility and also keep the winnings for active and contributing members. I'm not sure how random winners are selected out of entries but somehow duplicate entries would need to be screened, then as winners are pulled, their member profiles would have to be checked for eligibility and they could either be declared the winner or a new winner could be selected.

The contest type I liked the least were the "post to win" ones. The "best idea/answer" contests also seemed to have marginal success due to repeated answers and mysterious reasons for winning. "E-mail the right answer" contests seem to work the best from my perspective although I don't know how much work went in to sifting through the entries.

Nick G 42390
12-21-2007, 05:43 AM
The thing about having a "Post Cap" on the contests, it will drive new members away. We all want everyone to have a chance to win and by you submitting your name, you're automatically given a chance to win. Now with that being said, the new members that sign up for our site just to enter to contests, are members that may potentially stay with us.

Is there a way too maybe make a certain section of the forum only viewable to people with so many post count? If there is then you could just do contest in that. Like maybe an elder members section where only people with so many post can view it and post in it? Or is that too hard to make or not even realistic to make?

CrazyFaucker
12-21-2007, 08:12 PM
I like the variety of contests, as I think that's the best way to attract the most members. You're never going to only have one or two contest types and hope that it will cover all the bases. Some will play if it's a competition where their skill matters, others like to just throw their name in a hat and hope for the best or take their time to think up a great storyline.

I'm not big on requiring a huge post count to enter though. Certain people (myself included) don't usually voice their opinion or post up topics unless they have specific questions that haven't been asked yet. It's going to be 2 years before I manage to get my ass up on the leaderboards. I think being a member for 3 or 4 months and 20-25 post count limit would be fine for contests. Nothing overwhelming which would force you to spam 200 times in a week, and 3-4 months to post 20 times is plenty of time to come up with constructive things to say.

Jdm
12-21-2007, 10:42 PM
Is there a way too maybe make a certain section of the forum only viewable to people with so many post count? If there is then you could just do contest in that. Like maybe an elder members section where only people with so many post can view it and post in it? Or is that too hard to make or not even realistic to make?

^^^The Admins. would have to create it or maybe even a Super Mod can.

I still say it's easier to just have an "Senior Members Contest" where the Post Counts would be in effect.

For Example: The contest for the Senior Members would have to consist of at LEAST 1000 Posts. Anyone that Posts that does not have the 1K required Posts, will be disqualified.

Bodangles
12-21-2007, 11:34 PM
^^^The Admins. would have to create it or maybe even a Super Mod can.

I still say it's easier to just have an "Senior Members Contest" where the Post Counts would be in effect.

For Example: The contest for the Senior Members would have to consist of at LEAST 1000 Posts. Anyone that Posts that does not have the 1K required Posts, will be disqualified.

ha that's not much of a contest now is it?! i'd start around...490 :p. but really, i think a senior member competition should start at 750, if there would be one. also, to keep the site open to newer members, there is nothing wrong with the way it is, but i think the winners should be chosen with more care. i understand there are posts upon posts to sort through, but you could always ask a few senior officers to take a page and see who they deem fit to win :)

sawman90
12-22-2007, 03:10 AM
I will like to see a post limit, has 300, to show that you are member of the forum, an be an active member. I don't like the people that just go post when they see free stuff giving away.

I have an idea, maybe do something like 93x did (radio station) they had a contest who could expose them the best gets the prizes, all the people that tried had to send in stuff to show proof how they exposed them, I know this would be really hard to do but maybe some how it may work?

Minty
12-22-2007, 03:56 AM
I have an idea, maybe do something like 93x did (radio station) they had a contest who could expose them the best gets the prizes, all the people that tried had to send in stuff to show proof how they exposed them, I know this would be really hard to do but maybe some how it may work?

Been done ;)

narcolepticshee
12-22-2007, 09:57 AM
Deffo make one of those puzzle websites where you have to find clues that links you to other clues to find the answer to solve the mystery and the first person to complete it gets the prizes - that would be AWESOME but an insane amount of effort would have to go in.

Does everyone know what i'm talking about? I think there was a Saw IV one quite recently which was cool.

Peace

Jdm
12-22-2007, 07:43 PM
ha that's not much of a contest now is it?! i'd start around...490 :p. but really, i think a senior member competition should start at 750, if there would be one. also, to keep the site open to newer members, there is nothing wrong with the way it is, but i think the winners should be chosen with more care. i understand there are posts upon posts to sort through, but you could always ask a few senior officers to take a page and see who they deem fit to win :)

^^^Just for you, Achievement...2000 Posts to qualify.:p

We can always have similar rules to the Maximum Clubs.

A certain amount of Posts and have to be with the site for a certain amount of time.

Lebowski
12-22-2007, 07:47 PM
A games contest.
With runners up prizes as well.

There should be a limit where the person has had to have contributed so many posts or have been an active member here for a month plus or something.

:)

Thats my contribution, hope you like it.