PDA

View Full Version : Spammers... and How annoying they are.

Darth Heyburt
12-20-2007, 01:03 AM
There is thread after thread of people saying the same thing that was said in the second post. These people need a slap.

I.e.
THREAD TITLE "Name Change"

Post 1: USER: I am changing my name... how many points does it cost and what will it do to my gamerscore.?

Post 2: USER1: Oh it's 800 MS Points and It does nothing to your gamerscore.

Post 3: USER2: 800 MS Points..yerr and it dont do nuffin to your GS!

Post 4: USER3: YER MAN ITS 800MSP.... RIP OFF INIT!

Post 5: USER4: It don't affect your Gamerscore I don't think...800MS as well.

Post 6: ABUSER1: ERRR ARE YOU THICK... ITS 800MP and NO IT DONT DO NOTTTTHING TO YOU GAMERSCORE YOU DICKHEAD.

Post 7: etc....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mean yes we do all post our bit now and then, but for some strange reason there are a few users who decide to post even if the answer has already been given.... it's sad. I mean there was one dude the other day post about 20 threads about changing his name and what a dilemma it was... jesus.

Anyone agree this needs sorting?
----
END.

Shinobi273
12-20-2007, 01:12 AM
Yeah it's annoying when people don't read what has already been said in a thread but this thread is pretty much spam too. It would be nice if mods just deleted spam posts on sight, but I have a feeling that would take too much effort.

ajbras86
12-20-2007, 01:14 AM
I think some of the newer members might try to spam their way to 100 posts so they can put their names into the 1000/200 point clubs.

I could be wrong though...

Sanction
12-20-2007, 01:18 AM
If things were answered with only 1 post there wouldn't be discussions.

Darth Heyburt
12-20-2007, 01:25 AM
If things were answered with only 1 post there wouldn't be discussions.

You don't need to discuss an issue that has a clear answer...

If there was some form of discussion within the posts then they are clearly acceptable... however there are too many of the types of threads pointed out in my first post.

Also I don't feel this thread is spam... I wanted to know the feelings of the members of the site on this issue.

Krazie
12-20-2007, 01:34 AM
Trust me, it's something our staff takes into tremendous consideration all the time. Some people may think we're overly strict when we're locking threads and whatnot, but for certain questions like you say, whats the point of 30 people giving the same exact answer. Not to mention people that create threads when halfway down the page is a thread with the same exact topic.

We are always doing our best to patrol the forums as best we can, if you ever see anything you feel needs sorted, feel free to PM one of the Admins, or any other staff member..

Honkymagoo
12-20-2007, 01:38 AM
Trust me, it's something our staff takes into tremendous consideration all the time. Some people may think we're overly strict when we're locking threads and whatnot, but for certain questions like you say, whats the point of 30 people giving the same exact answer. Not to mention people that create threads when halfway down the page is a thread with the same exact topic.

We are always doing our best to patrol the forums as best we can, if you ever see anything you feel needs sorted, feel free to PM one of the Admins, or any other staff member..

You guys are doing a fine job. I'm not an admin but I try to inform people on the rules and sometimes PM admins to report spam threads. I enjoy this community and like to help keep it cleaned up.

I remember a thread awhile back similar to this one. I think it was called how many forum users does it take to screw in a light bulb or something to that affect. It was pretty funny actually.

*Edit*

We might as well change the name of the Top 5 section to the "Raise your Post Count" section.

Nope..........

Someone make a FAQ about how to post properly and include this as an example. Actually just name the thread, "How to post properly" and have the body just say that.

Shinobi273
12-20-2007, 01:40 AM
We might as well change the name of the Top 5 section to the "Raise your Post Count" section.

Posts in that forum do not count toward post count.

Jdm
12-20-2007, 01:47 AM
You guys are doing a fine job. I'm not an admin but I try to inform people on the rules and sometimes PM admins to report spam threads. I enjoy this community and like to help keep it cleaned up.

^^^I second that. The Staff does an excellent job here. Covert and I are always on the same page.;)

Spammers are always annoying and irritating. If they're new to the site, then I would give them a friendly warning, but also give them a chance again to post. Scaring off members is NOT the correct way to solving the problem. If you've been a member for a good while, you should know better, right?;)

Posts in that forum do not count toward post count. That is what I heard anyway.

I did NOT intend to double-post, but Shinobi posted before I did.

You're correct.

Posting in the Top 5 does NOT count toward your Post Counts.

Honkymagoo
12-20-2007, 02:09 AM
There is actually an http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/images/X360A/buttons/edit.gif button that you can use to change your post eliminating the need to double post. I do it all the time, I take too long to post, someone else makes a comment that I want to comment on, I just quote the post, copy it, edit my post, paste it in, and type my comment.

JDM is rocking 3k posts. I'm sure he knows about the edit button.

Posts in that forum do not count toward post count.

Ah I never knew that. I tend to avoid that place like the plague. Although I find myself posting there from time to time and always feel dirty afterwards.

highpass
12-20-2007, 02:30 AM
Just to add to what Krazie said about contacting staff via PM, don't forget the giant Report button... The minute you see some spammy bollocks just tap that button and all the Staff get notified instantly via email.

Cyrex
12-20-2007, 03:07 AM
people should not be posting more than 6 or 7 times a day unless you are playing that many games at one time there is no way that you can comment on that many things per day even if you spend that much time on the forums. Staff is an exception as always but still there are people who had 30 posts per day which is absolutely ridiculous

Birky
12-20-2007, 03:11 AM
Staff is an exception as always but still there are people who had 30 posts per day which is absolutely ridiculous

:eek::omg:eek:

How could you possibly have 30 posts a day? I think I have like 2 or 3ish. Whoever can do that must have a lot on their minds!

Cyrex
12-20-2007, 03:24 AM
i remember that there was a guy who had like 70 in his first day and never made it to his second day because he got banned that quickly. I only have like 4 per day. I have been posting a lot due to the clan starting and the halo 3 tournament

Jdm
12-20-2007, 03:52 AM
JDM is rocking 3k posts. I'm sure he knows about the edit button.

It seems as if Shinobi and I are always bumping heads. I still love ya man.;)

I have 3K+ Posts, but I don't care for them. Magoo got it right...I know the Edit button very well.;)

Thanks for the Edit Krazie!

Bodangles
12-20-2007, 04:22 AM
i agree with you extremely, Heyburt, because you have people putting in juts enough characters to squeak by 10 with the same answer for the sixth time. what drives me absolutely nuts, though, is people that bring back old threads. some old threads can be brought back because of their interest level, but for example, some kid wished the site a happy birthday yesterday. the birthday was in FEBRUARY. i mean come onnnnnn.

Clipse 2
12-20-2007, 04:54 AM
Yeah its super annoying, but you have to remember and keep in mind that not everyone has been in the forum environments before. I remember when I first got on message boards and really wasn't sure of the difference in good etiquette from bad. There's a learning curve and it sometimes takes longer for some than others. What I really dislike is when someone brings back an old thread, answers a question thats been answered all ready but then an established member comes in behind them and belittles them. I mean you're really getting on to them for trying to get involved.

Whats better to belittle someone and call them a n00b for not searching, bringing up an old thread, posting an answer to a question thats been repeatedly answered before hand or nicely PMing then saying "Hey welcome to the site, blah blah blah I just want to give you a heads up about this post..."? I would hope established members would know when to just leave a thread alone thats already been answered unless complete 100% confirmation can be made by them or there is new unposted input to the issue at hand.

And because I'm sure JDM expects it I'll bring up my ever loving posts about Xbox Originals and achievements... Same thing happened with that, once it was posted they didn't have achievements 30+ people had to post the same message about their dislike for that and that they'd be better with achievements. Maybe so, but thats the end of the story right there, everything beyond that is moot and unnecessary.

Jdm
12-20-2007, 05:22 AM
And because I'm sure JDM expects it I'll bring up my ever loving posts about Xbox Originals and achievements... Same thing happened with that, once it was posted they didn't have achievements 30+ people had to post the same message about their dislike for that and that they'd be better with achievements. Maybe so, but thats the end of the story right there, everything beyond that is moot and unnecessary.

^^^Tell me about, Clipse my boy...

Don't worry though...more help is on the way.;)

Scotian Bred
12-20-2007, 06:08 AM
I know its hard to control all those members and we are all guilty of not using the search button to the full extent .. i know i am .. i got 500 some odd posts in just under a year and i like to think i am keeping my posts to a minimum by not going overboard and posting like mad .. i mean sure some people like posting .. some topics squirm off to oblivion and three pages later they come back to the original purpose of the thread .. but i am sure its been like that since the beginning of fourms everywhere, the only way to keep it under control would probably to get the moderaters out in full force locking threads .. and deleteing old unessesary threads .. maybe there could be a set amount of threads that a specific game forums can have maybe that would help keep the posting and spam to a minimum. Maybe the awards for posts have an effect on a persons drive to post alot !

Krazie
12-20-2007, 06:20 AM
Lol, I think we're getting this confused..

We like you guys posting as much as you can, that's what we're here for. However, there's a difference in quality posts and spam posts, such as that one dude that came in here earlier that I had to delete that: 1) Was one word, and 2) That word didn't even make sense (NONE!!!!). I then had to look into his posts and delete about 10 of them because they were the same way, and gave him a friendly warning. We love for you guys to post as much as your hearts desire, just make sure they have some substance, that's all.

We're nearing 45,000 members on the forums and that number increases dramatically every day, so it gets harder and harder to keep track of everything :p

jackanape
12-20-2007, 12:55 PM
SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM............turns around slowly, hides keyboard. Hi guys, didn't see you there (nervous shuffle).

But seriously. I appreciate what Clipse is saying about sending a PM to new members with friendly advice etc. I just think that it might be a bit intimidating to get a message scolding you in the inbox, especially as it's likely to be the first message they ever get. I prefer just to put a friendly note on the forums - explaining the rules and mentioning the need to check dates on threads etc. That way it's as if the are getting some friendly guidance rather than a reprimand. Plus, if anyone else strays into the thread they can see how the land lies too.

Spam will always happen though regardless, and if members (other than admins/mods) go around sending PM about rules then new members might get resentful and feel people are getting on their high horse.

Not saying that is the case, just my opinion.

Birky
12-20-2007, 01:00 PM
SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM............turns around slowly, hides keyboard. Hi guys, didn't see you there (nervous shuffle).

But seriously. I appreciate what Clipse is saying about sending a PM to new members with friendly advice etc. I just think that it might be a bit intimidating to get a message scolding you in the inbox, especially as it's likely to be the first message they ever get. I prefer just to put a friendly note on the forums - explaining the rules and mentioning the need to check dates on threads etc. That way it's as if the are getting some friendly guidance rather than a reprimand. Plus, if anyone else strays into the thread they can see how the land lies too.

Spam will always happen though regardless, and if members (other than admins/mods) go around sending PM about rules then new members might get resentful and feel people are getting on their high horse.

I think that sending new members friendly messages packed full with smily faces is the way to go. I have done this a few times and just recently sent a message to a new member you put his sig at the end of every post and not just once in his signature. He thanked me for the advice and that was that. :)

Clipse 2
12-20-2007, 01:31 PM

Well don't really look at it as if you're sending a PM to a newer member who has a habit of unhelpful spam posts with the intent to scold them but to greet them. Be adamant about letting them know we want them here and just make them aware of how things are a little. Give them a heads up that some of their posts are so-so and the mods/admins might be in contact with them in the near future if something doesn't change. By no means straight out scold them though. A lot of what I've seen in the past are members who have been around just long enough to know the rules themselves and then turn on the newer or members who don't post as much but have been here longer and try to "coach" them on things.

If someone posts a thread they should have searched for the first person to reply should search for it themselves, post the link to that search, and remind the poster that the search button is up on the top bar and to use it next time then post the link for them already. This is a very friendly gesture, it creates a helpful environment, and over all good nature. But thats where that thread should end, in my eyes there shouldn't be a third post with someone coming in behind calling the thread maker a n00b for not searching. To me that third poster is a pretty worthless member at least at that point, everyone can change. ;)