PDA

View Full Version : Making Expert Vocals Simple for Musicians.

TheLazyWolf
12-21-2007, 02:11 AM
Alright let me preface this with a disclaimer. I have been playing guitar for over 13 years. When it comes to singing, a drunken lolcat has a better chance of making it through expert than me. There are a lot more steps involved in "faking" your way through expert vocals this way, then to actually sing it. So if you are one of the people who can sing their way through it, good for you. Be happy you have a gift, and leave the rest of us alone;)

What i have found is that if I put my microphone up to my real guitar amplifier, I can simply play the pitches into the mic, and rack up the AWESOMES!. Ill give you two examples. Also, Im pretty sure this would work with any $30 sanyo keyboard, which might be easier for you. If you are a guitar newb, make sure you tune to standard (EADGBe) before trying this.

Paranoid - Black Sabbath

Easiest song in the game to fake through. Pretty much just uses the pitches G D and E.

Blitzkrieg Bob - Ramones

Easiest song in the game to fake through and get a 100% on expert.

For the Verse, the song simply goes " Db E E E Db E"

when it switches to "What they want I dont know" pitch holds on "D"

and there is a little part that goes "Db E E E Db A"

Back to "D"

Then the chorus turnaround is " B D E "

Then the entire verse chorus replays again exactly the same.

There are actually a couple other notes in there in places, but you can skip them if you nail the pitches ive indicated.

Anyways if any musicians out there want to help me make a fake guide for the vocal pitches, let me know.

ASTROBL4ACK
12-21-2007, 11:58 AM
Alright let me preface this with a disclaimer. I have been playing guitar for over 13 years. When it comes to singing, a drunken lolcat has a better chance of making it through expert than me. There are a lot more steps involved in "faking" your way through expert vocals this way, then to actually sing it. So if you are one of the people who can sing their way through it, good for you. Be happy you have a gift, and leave the rest of us alone;)

What i have found is that if I put my microphone up to my real guitar amplifier, I can simply play the pitches into the mic, and rack up the AWESOMES!. Ill give you two examples. Also, Im pretty sure this would work with any $30 sanyo keyboard, which might be easier for you. If you are a guitar newb, make sure you tune to standard (EADGBe) before trying this.

Paranoid - Black Sabbath

Easiest song in the game to fake through. Pretty much just uses the pitches G D and E.

Blitzkrieg Bob - Ramones

Easiest song in the game to fake through and get a 100% on expert.

For the Verse, the song simply goes " Db E E E Db E"

when it switches to "What they want I dont know" pitch holds on "D"

and there is a little part that goes "Db E E E Db A"

Back to "D"

Then the chorus turnaround is " B D E "

Then the entire verse chorus replays again exactly the same.

There are actually a couple other notes in there in places, but you can skip them if you nail the pitches ive indicated.

Anyways if any musicians out there want to help me make a fake guide for the vocal pitches, let me know.

Hmm, I'll give a go. I have reworked some vocal melodies on guitar, so this should be pretty similar.

TheLazyWolf
12-22-2007, 03:39 AM
So far ive made it through the first tier now doing this. The only one that was remotely difficult was Say it Aint So. Song has a lot of wierd changes in it and the vocal melody switches back and forth between Emin and Emaj.

Fr33701ays
12-23-2007, 08:12 AM
hey lazy, if you downloaded an old version of finale and put the music into that it will tell you what pitches the vocals are singing, at least thats what my guitar instructor had.

TheLazyWolf
12-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Oh cool, thanks. I just found note charts for it on scorehero, thats really all i needed. I spent like 4 hours today trying to figure out why i was failing black hole sun before i realized that all the instruments are tuned 1/8 or 1/4 step off of standard.:mad:

Anyways im passed 29/45 now. I haven't bothered to actually tab many of them out, because most of them are easy enough to pass in a couple tries. Say it aint So, Black Hole Sun, Learning to fly, and Reptilia were all a pain since you cant a song at a midpoint. I made tabs for them if anyone else tries this method and gets stuck on them.

willcrazyiii
12-23-2007, 08:04 PM
Expert Vocals is not hard at all. Just hum everything. It only is hard on Maps, Welcome Home, and Foreplay/Long Time.

Very easy. I have never sang a note in my life.

Link2430
12-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Are you hitting chords or single strings? Man a tab for the songs would be awesome for real, you don't know how much of a help that would be.

TheLazyWolf
12-24-2007, 12:49 AM
Single Notes. If you hit more than one note, it will make the arrow disappear and not count anything. For the talky parts i palm mute and just try to strum at the beginning of each word in the phrase. Ill make tabs for the songs i havent done yet, since i found the note charts. Im playing through a little Pig Nose battery operated amp, with mic sensitivity turned to 3/4 of the way up, so you dont need a lot of sound.

Heres what Blitzkrieg bop looks like:

e ------------------
B-------------------
G-------------------
D-------------------
A-4-7-7-7-4-7------
E-------------------

D-----------------
A--4 (hold)--------
E-----------------

D------------------
A-4-7-7-7-4-0-----
E------------------

D------------------
A--4 (hold)---------
E------------------

D------------------
A----5-7-----------
E--7---------------

Thats tab for all parts of this song. Im not sure if that is the correct order, as im just going from my notes. Practice for 15 minutes and you should be able to 100% this on expert, hope it helps:woop:

ChillzReborn
12-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Right on man!!!

I'm going to give this a shot!! I haven't even played RB yet but I have played ALOT of GH. Not that good (hard is my preference) which is wierd to me considering I myself have been playing guitar religously for 15-16 years and pride myself on knowing notes and shit!! Knowing my notes will help me breeze through what you're talking about here!

Thanks again for the advice and I'll post back as to how I make out!!

Mr Arrow
12-24-2007, 06:39 PM
I am dusting off my kids old keyboard this Christmas break and giving this a go.

I did the singing and finished medium but had to hum and de de de my way through some of it....it SUCKED. (We're still looking for the cat - think it ran away or just went somewhere quiet to die).

I'll let you know how the keyboard 'singing' goes.

skatersurf
12-25-2007, 05:10 AM
wow thanks for the great Idea just got my 100% ach with my keyboard.

TheLazyWolf
12-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Cool! im glad this is working for some people.

Anyone who can actually Hum through Expert, has a serious gift when it comes to pitch matching, regardless of whether or not they practice singing much.

Using a keyboard, it may not be possible to beat Black Hole Sun. This song is 1/8 of a step sharp, making it almost impossible to pass unless you tune 1/8 step sharp.

Also the Weezer song i mentioned earlier is actually in EbMaj and Ebmin, i play 1/2 step down and forgot to transpose it for that.

I have now finished 39/45 on expert. Reptilia and Welcome Home are by far the 2 hardest songs to do this for.

Here is a tab for Reptilia. I made this whilst playing 1/2 step down, so if you are playing in standard tuning, make sure to subtract 1 from each note. Ill also list the Notes for the keyboard users, but again, you will have to transpose it down 1/2 step (ie make everything flat.) This is through the first chorus, the song repeats after that, but i was able to fake my way through it using starpower.

The reason i went to 1/2 step down, is that using open notes (represented by 0s in tab for you none guitarplayers) is not recommended. The reason being, if the open note is not cutoff it will bleed into the next note, and the game will count it as no notes being played.

Finally, in this song, you dont need to play all the notes in the chorus, although i have transcribed them. You will just need to practice :) I have played the bars where they fall in the song. Use the attached note chart to help you get the rhythm.

e 6 6 8 10 10^8
B 6 8 8 8 10 8
G 5 7 8 8 7 8 7 5
D

Thats the verse riff. the entire thing repeats 1 time. pitches are from left to right: C D D# F ; D#D D#D C G; A# G A# C G; D A D^C G

Bridge to chorus

e
B
G 8 5 5 5 5 5 5 5
D 5 8 7 5s3 7 7 5 5 5
A 8

Plays once. Pitches are:
G D# C A# C C A C G F A C A C G G F G C

Chorus:

e
B 6 6 6 6 6
G 8 7 8 8 7 5 7 8 7 8 7 8 8 7 5 7 8 7
D 5 5

Pitches:
D# D D# F D# D C D G F D# D D# D D# F D# D C D G F D# D F

Chorus continued

e
B 6 8 6 6 6 8 6 6 8 6
G 8 8 8 7 8 7 8 8 7 5 7 8 7 5
D

pitches:
D# F G F D# F D# F G F D D# D D# F D# D C D G F D# D C

Err sorry i couldnt get the note chart to attach it was to big and i cant seem to resize it. Go to Rockband.Scorehero.com and check the vocal forums for a copy of it.

Im not going to be making tabs for all the songs, just the ones that i cant fake through in one or two tries, but im happy to help anyone if they get stuck on any of them.

edit:OH NOEZ! I had the tab lined up real nice but when i submitted the thread, it made all the spaces disappear :( you will just have to use the pitches i included :(. If anyone can teach me a better way to do this, that would be sweet.