PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Award Thread

sam49
12-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Gamespy have given COD 4 as Game Of The Year. Its a great game but I think some other game should have taken the award. :eek:

AlexUplinked
12-24-2007, 06:07 PM
Personally I think Cod4 really deserved it. It - like all of the call of duty's - has a really intense single player. Which really keeps the player at the edge of their seat. Then there is the amazing online game play...Which I think, as do a lot of my friends, its better then the hyped up Halo online play.

[Alex]

WeeChrissy360
12-24-2007, 06:15 PM
yeah, BioShock or Assassins Creed should have won it.

sam49
12-24-2007, 06:17 PM
Yeah but I played Super Mario Galaxy at a friends house and that is a very, very good contender as well. I cant wait to see Gamespot's GOTY.

sam49
12-24-2007, 06:40 PM
yeah, BioShock or Assassins Creed should have won it.
I havent played the game, but I have heard that the games gets repetetive.

Mr Arrow
12-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Assassin's Creed - No Way

Super Mario thingy - Haven't played it.

Call of Duty 4 or Bioshock could easily get Game of The Year without argument from most people.

PerpetualHeaven
12-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Okay, I renamed the title. Everyone who wants to discuss game of the year stuff or anything else, talk about it here. This includes IGN, Gamespot, etc.

Sanction
12-24-2007, 07:17 PM
I think Mass Effect gets best RPG, CoD4 - best shooter, and AC gets best adventure game.

AlexUplinked
12-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Yeah, I was just thinking this through again, and I'm going to have to agree with Sanction1. I'm sure some people will argue saying that Halo 3 is the better shooter. But I personally (after playing, and loving it.) have to admit that it gets way too repative (spelling), and was a bit to hyped up. It seems that Halo only became so amazing - because It was one of the first xbox games out...

[Alex]

jaycarrell
12-24-2007, 08:46 PM
I thought I was going to get Bioshock for christmas from my fiance...but I got a wallet (that I totally love and is the best gift ever) so I held off on buying it. So as much as I think Bioshock deserves it more than COD4 I can't actually say anything. Though perhaps COD4 deserves the award just because they left WWII behind and giving them the award might encourage others.

Of the games I've played I'd have to go with Mass Effect, even though I'm only 1/3 of the way through it.

DarkDementia
12-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Cod 4 and Mass effect are easily the 2 best games of the year in my Opinion. Although assasins creed was very unique and took areas of next gen to the new level, the story was dissapointing and it was way too linear.

AlexUplinked
12-24-2007, 09:06 PM
...the story was disappointing and it was way too linear.

Wow, wow, wow. How could you say that :O! AC had an amazing story line. I mean how could you not enjoy all the twists, and cliff hangers. But I suppose it is slightly linear...It also can get a little reppative. The fact the missions, are just go ease drop on some different guy, or punch another preacher.

[Alex]

DarkDementia
12-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Wow, wow, wow. How could you say that :O! AC had an amazing story line. I mean how could you not enjoy all the twists, and cliff hangers. But I suppose it is slightly linear...It also can get a little reppative. The fact the missions, are just go ease drop on some different guy, or punch another preacher.

[Alex]

The story...Hmmm the man you follow is actually behind everything your against? Ive never seen that before :P. Plus the whole going between the future and the past....games arent films, as much as they can get closeto them in storylines, AC did it wrong. Yes it was repetative. But on the bright side, the Graphics were incredible, the physics gave a new meaning to next gen, and the fighting was excellent.

AlexUplinked
12-24-2007, 09:23 PM
The story...Hmmm the man you follow is actually behind everything your against? Ive never seen that before :P. Plus the whole going between the future and the past....games arent films, as much as they can get closeto them in storylines, AC did it wrong. Yes it was repetative. But on the bright side, the Graphics were incredible, the physics gave a new meaning to next gen, and the fighting was excellent.

Ok - Parts of the story were cliché but just look at the rest of the story. They really do counter that cliché part by adding in other things. Like the fact Lucy is an assassin, and your killing people who are trying to protect you. Then there is the whole thing about the piece of Eden, and that the bible was a lie according to that. Also how could you find the end not intresting - I mean what is with those markings on the wall, and really are those suits?

[Alex]

DarkDementia
12-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Ok - Parts of the story were cliché but just look at the rest of the story. They really do counter that cliché part by adding in other things. Like the fact Lucy is an assassin, and your killing people who are trying to protect you. Then there is the whole thing about the piece of Eden, and that the bible was a lie according to that. Also how could you find the end not intresting - I mean what is with those markings on the wall, and really are those suits?

[Alex]

Hmm you make a good point, i did find those parts very intriguing. I guess i just hoped for a longer story

B Rad8908
12-25-2007, 04:33 AM
I think that Call of Duty 4 deserves game of the year. It's got a great single player, with multiplayer to back it up.

Darth Odan
12-25-2007, 04:36 AM
I don't see why Bioshock is such a contender. I just see it and it makes me go: Meh. However, Call of Duty 4 deserves Game of the Year, so did Mass Effect.

PerpetualHeaven
12-25-2007, 06:24 AM
I don't see why Bioshock is such a contender. I just see it and it makes me go: Meh. However, Call of Duty 4 deserves Game of the Year, so did Mass Effect.

Because different people have different tastes? Not everyone will say Bioshock is amazing. I personally thought the entire environment was incredibly immersive. The artistic design was fantastic. The twist I thought was awesome. The entire storyline itself was fairly intriguing. Sure it's a spiritual successor, blah blah.

I checked your card and you haven't even played the game. Most people tend to have a bad opinion of the game if they've never finished it. Actually in the one thread, most of the people who disliked it never even finished the entire game. They barely even passed the first boss.

But of course, some people will just want to dislike it for the sake of disliking it.

As for COD4, awesome game in terms of online. The offline is pretty damn intense but I don't think it's as incredible as some made out to be. Fun overall experience. It would be tough picking game of the year. I would personally pick Mario Galaxy. Overall, the games artistic design, gameplay, etc was just so damn good. Feels like a brand new Mario experience but better then ever. It would be either that, or Bioshock.

Best graphics hands down goes to Crysis. Anyone who says otherwise is either: A) Blind or B) Blind. Go to your optometrist if you don't think Crysis is by far the best looking game on any console graphically (technical sense).

Darth Odan
12-25-2007, 06:31 AM
Yeah, I haven't played it, but thats why I said that: "I just see it and it makes me go: Meh." I've tried renting it, but it's never available in Video Avenue, mainly because I go before the close for the night.

PerpetualHeaven
12-25-2007, 06:34 AM
Yeah, I haven't played it, but thats why I said that: "I just see it and it makes me go: Meh." I've tried renting it, but it's never available in Video Avenue, mainly because I go before the close for the night.

Looking at it makes you go "meh"? Went I first saw the big daddy trailer I went ---> :eek: But it really depends on taste as I noted before. Can't expect everyone to like every game.

Darth Odan
12-25-2007, 06:45 AM
I agree with Crysis. The game looks so awesome. Though its too powerful, you'll need a brand new pc with everything[most people]. Yeah, Bioshock looks good, but it seems rather weird. Scientific Utopia gone wrong, biotic powers and weird big people with underwater things[dunno the name] and little girls.

Pez
12-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Personally I think Cod4 really deserved it. It - like all of the call of duty's - has a really intense single player. Which really keeps the player at the edge of their seat. Then there is the amazing online game play...Which I think, as do a lot of my friends, its better then the hyped up Halo online play.

[Alex]

I completely agree with you. Even though I've not played alot of COD4, both offline and online, I already think it deserves any awards it recieves.

I really enjoyed Bioshock. Thought it was a great game, but even though it was innovative, it just didn't impress me as much as I was expecting. I felt it was too short too.

Assassin's Creed is also a good game, but not GOTY material. Basically, it fell at the same hurdle Halo 3 did. Over-hype.

Mass Effect is a serious contender to COD4. If COD4 misses out on anything, I back Mass Effect to pick it up.

~SS

sam49
12-25-2007, 11:05 AM
I think Mass Effect gets best RPG, CoD4 - best shooter, and AC gets best adventure game.
Is Mass Effect good? Because I might get it.

AlexUplinked
12-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Assassin's Creed is also a good game, but not GOTY material. Basically, it fell at the same hurdle Halo 3 did. Over-hype.

~SS

Well, I'm really torn between it. I don't think it was really as over hyped as Halo 3 was. As halo 3 was hyped up beyond belief....The fact that the game cities were copied down to how it use to be back then was just something that a game had never done before....they had patience :P. Also the fact you could climb on anything was amazing. They were doing things that would change a lot of devolpers ideas. I personally think not only should they be "entered" into GOTY, because of the "amazing-ness" of the game, but also what they did...

But yeah I'm still thinking about that...

Is Mass Effect good? Because I might get it.

Yes.....

Its an amazing game, I think I gave my reasons to you in another post :P cant remember.

[Alex]