PDA

View Full Version : Good RPG for Xbox 360?

Kazdan
12-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Okay, I think I'm going to buy a new RPG for the 360. What would you suggest? I'm thinking about Mass Effect, but I'd also like to play a good old turn-based RPG.

PS. Don't suggest Oblivion, I already have it!

Sanction
12-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Blue Dragon...Eternal Sonata (not sure if it's categorized at RPG or A/A)

Blue Dragon is fun though, I played it at a friends house...and if you have an HDTV it looks fantastic.

Ash3n
12-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Blue Dragon...Eternal Sonata (not sure if it's categorized at RPG or A/A)

Blue Dragon is fun though, I played it at a friends house...and if you have an HDTV it looks fantastic.

Sci-Fi = Mass Effect

Fantasy = Oblivion

No contest.....

2 of the best games ever created.

Honkymagoo
12-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Sci-Fi = Mass Effect

Fantasy = Oblivion

No contest.....

The first post said don't suggest Oblivion because he already has it. Plus that game is beyond overrated but I digress...

Mass Effect is great. Eternal Sonata was awful imo. I've heard some decent things about Blue Dragon (and it's turn based) but I didn't like the demo. There are some RPG's in the works right now that are looking good. Lost Odyssey comes to mind.

AlexUplinked
12-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Mass effect would be a good choice. Its got so much replay value, and is also huge - so you will never get bored. But I would also recommend Phantsay Star Universe - I never had the patient to complete it. But to how far I got, I really enjoyed it. So I would also recommend that.

[Alex]

jaycarrell
12-24-2007, 08:42 PM
I loved eternal sonata, thought it was amazing to look at and fun to play. It's a little wierd, but grows on you quickly. I liked the more live action turn based combat than the older style. Of course that's only if you're looking for a JRPG, otherwise get Mass Effect, which I have...in NY...and I'm in TX...for three more days.

Ash3n
12-24-2007, 08:58 PM
The first post said don't suggest Oblivion because he already has it. Plus that game is beyond overrated but I digress...

Mass Effect is great. Eternal Sonata was awful imo. I've heard some decent things about Blue Dragon (and it's turn based) but I didn't like the demo. There are some RPG's in the works right now that are looking good. Lost Odyssey comes to mind.

Thanks for the heads up. I was making a comparison between the 2 games. The comparison is that Mass Effect is Oblivion in a nutshell, the difference is the context of the game. One being sci-fi and one focused on fantasy. If he liked Oblivion, he will like Mass Effect. (As long as he doesn't hate the sci-fi genre.) Thats the point. But thanks for being the forum police. But, I digress.

Overrated? Wow. Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one I guess. ;)

DarkDementia
12-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Sci-Fi = Mass Effect

Fantasy = Oblivion

No contest.....

Definately agree with this, if your RPG fan then you cant go wrong with Mass Effect!

Vista
12-25-2007, 01:58 AM
Mass Effect or Blue Dragon, shoulda had a poll ;)

Slarak
12-25-2007, 03:55 AM
Blue dragon took me 60 hours to complete and thats without messing with all of the side missions. Also there is a downloadable dungeon that you can get also. I'm getting Mass Effect for christmas so i can't really vouch for that one, but if you do get Blue Dragon I HIGHLY recommend getting the strategy guide with it.

Pez
12-25-2007, 09:40 AM
It depends if you're wanting a JRPG or a WRPG.

JRPG - Blue Dragon. I don't own Eternal Sonata, but was impressed by the demo, but it's your call on that one. :)

WRPG - Mass Effect for sure.

~SS

twentyTWO
12-25-2007, 01:40 PM
I absolutely despise Oblivion, the gameplay is too slow and, in my opinion, just not immersive.

On the other hand, Mass Effect is a great RPG, and I'm pretty sure anyone with the appreciation of a good story will like.

B Rad8908
12-25-2007, 02:50 PM
I heard Mass Effect was a great game, I would probably go with that.

gamergirl11
12-25-2007, 03:06 PM
I absolutely despise Oblivion, the gameplay is too slow and, in my opinion, just not immersive.

On the other hand, Mass Effect is a great RPG, and I'm pretty sure anyone with the appreciation of a good story will like.

Oblivion is not immersive?? Wow...something else must have forced me to put 100+ hours into it then...

Anyways...I haven't played Eternal Sonata, but my room mate has and he loves it. He is a huge Final Fantasy Fan is that caters to your tastes. I would personally suggest Enchanted Arms or Mass Effect :D

SegaSaturnSNK
12-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I was making a comparison between the 2 games. The comparison is that Mass Effect is Oblivion in a nutshell, the difference is the context of the game. One being sci-fi and one focused on fantasy. If he liked Oblivion, he will like Mass Effect. (As long as he doesn't hate the sci-fi genre.) Thats the point. But thanks for being the forum police. But, I digress.

Overrated? Wow. Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one I guess. ;)

I guess I'm one of those assholes then because it's terribly overrated.

Go for Mass Effect or Eternal Sonata. I think you'll get bored of Blue Dragon even though the achievements are very time consuming which is a good thing.

narcolepticshee
12-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Im a huge FF fan (especially VII) and the closest thing to that is Blue Dragon. I've also had eternal sonata and enchanted arms and didn't think much of them. Mass effect is killer - pretty good but me personally, i'd go with blue dragon if i was you!

(I bought Blue Dragon after thinking the demo was shit and loved it!)

Peace

xRogue 5x
12-25-2007, 04:32 PM
The giant that is EA and the tech ninjas at Bioware command that you get Mass Effect.

The galaxy need you....you don't want to let everyone down do you?

Kazdan
12-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Im a huge FF fan (especially VII) and the closest thing to that is Blue Dragon. I've also had eternal sonata and enchanted arms and didn't think much of them. Mass effect is killer - pretty good but me personally, i'd go with blue dragon if i was you!

(I bought Blue Dragon after thinking the demo was shit and loved it!)

Peace

Well to be honest Final Fantasy VII is my favourite game of all time, so maybe I'd like Blue Dragon too. Oblivion is my favourite game on Xbox 360, so I'm sure I'll like Mass Effect. I have seriously no idea which game to get.

phoenix029
12-25-2007, 05:35 PM
blue dragon defo i was just about to get into this when i found out that they only put disc 3 in when i bought it now i have to go back to cex on boxing day :mad:

SuperSouter
12-25-2007, 05:40 PM
Mass Effect or Eternal Sonata

MajinFro
12-25-2007, 06:03 PM
The giant that is EA and the tech ninjas at Bioware command that you get Mass Effect.

The galaxy need you....you don't want to let everyone down do you?

Mass Effect for sure. I have only played 5 minutes of it due to the GSL but it seems to be the best sci fi rpg this side of KotOR...and man i loved me some KotOR.

Ash3n
12-25-2007, 06:13 PM
I guess I'm one of those assholes then because it's terribly overrated.

Go for Mass Effect or Eternal Sonata. I think you'll get bored of Blue Dragon even though the achievements are very time consuming which is a good thing.

Who called you an asshole? Just to clarify, hating Oblivion doesn't make you an asshole. No matter how much you hate the game. My comment was, "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one." We can go on all day and night about this. It comes down to personal preference. No matter what you or I say, it's not wrong. Why? Because it's personal opinion. If he liked Oblivion there is a good chance he will like Mass Effect. Thats it, no secret agenda here to get him to play Oblivion again. Just a comparison. Lets all take a deep breath and agree that the guy will freakin' love Mass Effect. That seems to be the consensus.

IamTheKoP
12-25-2007, 06:49 PM
BLUE DRAGON is definitely worth looking into if you want turn-based, especially now that the price has fallen (I saw it new for US$31.99 this week). ETERNAL SONATA also looked good, at least from what I saw at my friend's house.
MASS EFFECT is incredible, but it's obviously a different style of RPG. I think you'll be happy with any of these choices though.

Bullet2theface
12-25-2007, 06:53 PM
Mass Effect. :p

Honkymagoo
12-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Well to be honest Final Fantasy VII is my favourite game of all time, so maybe I'd like Blue Dragon too. Oblivion is my favourite game on Xbox 360, so I'm sure I'll like Mass Effect. I have seriously no idea which game to get.

Speaking of overrated games... :p

Kazdan
12-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Speaking of overrated games... :p

Don't start. ;o

SegaSaturnSNK
12-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Who called you an asshole? Just to clarify, hating Oblivion doesn't make you an asshole. No matter how much you hate the game. My comment was, "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one." We can go on all day and night about this. It comes down to personal preference. No matter what you or I say, it's not wrong. Why? Because it's personal opinion. If he liked Oblivion there is a good chance he will like Mass Effect. Thats it, no secret agenda here to get him to play Oblivion again. Just a comparison. Lets all take a deep breath and agree that the guy will freakin' love Mass Effect. That seems to be the consensus.

Calm down man, I wasn't even serious when I said that lol. I know what you were saying.

Ash3n
12-25-2007, 11:51 PM
Calm down man, I wasn't even serious when I said that lol. I know what you were saying.

I'm a cucumber. And we have established you're an asshole j/k. Merry Christmas. ;)

CaPwN
12-26-2007, 12:09 AM
Oblivion is the greatest game ever made.

Tatanko
12-26-2007, 01:03 AM
Oblivion is good but when I played it for 12 hours a day for two or three days straight I started dreaming about it at night. NOT good haha.

YoungStunna69
12-26-2007, 01:34 AM
Could Saints Row be considered an RPG? If so, then I would recommend that.:uzi:

BackerMan
12-26-2007, 01:42 AM
mass effect, of course.

Kazdan
12-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Could Saints Row be considered an RPG? If so, then I would recommend that.:uzi:

If Saints Row is an RPG, then Gears of War is too.

Darth Odan
12-26-2007, 09:24 AM
Mass Effect. Get it now. Stop reading. Get it now.

Psycence
12-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Blue Dragon is excellent, however the story is not its strongest point. Eternal Sonata is very much a love or hate it type of game, its exceedingly pretty and is actually a fresh idea in the rather stale JRPG genre, so give it a shot.

sam49
12-26-2007, 11:40 AM
I played Mass Effect at my friends house for 10 mins and it is amazing.

Kazdan
12-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Blue Dragon is excellent, however the story is not its strongest point. Eternal Sonata is very much a love or hate it type of game, its exceedingly pretty and is actually a fresh idea in the rather stale JRPG genre, so give it a shot.

I played Eternal Sonata's demo, and it reminds me of Tales of Symphonia on GameCube, which is a good thing, since I loved ToS.

XboxFreak36
12-26-2007, 12:44 PM

Well u can do your own things.. It's like GTA drive around i think its an RPG too. I pick Saints Row

Is Mass Efect so great?? I don't have it.. the most time ur talking...

Armstrong x360a
12-26-2007, 08:32 PM
I just got Oblivion: GOTY for Christmas, and I can't believe what I had been missing this whole time! I know the OP already has it, but for anyone who doesn't, stop reading this and go get it now! Now back to closing that gate...

Hotoke
12-27-2007, 02:25 PM
I own both Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon, and I've got to say Eternal Sonata is way better than BD, except for the fact that it's really short. So if you're going for a short-time fun, go for Eternal Sonata. If you want a long-time fun, go for Blue Dragon.

Slarak
12-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Or you could always wait a couple months and pick up Lost Odyssey. Now that looks like a good one. More realistic looking than the previous RPG's that have been released.

knockton55
12-27-2007, 05:02 PM
Sci-Fi = Mass Effect

Fantasy = Oblivion

No contest.....

Read his post, he said he already had it.

There's a good few, but whatever you do AVOID TWO WORLDS. Just dont get it, no matter what.

-Enchanted Arms (not very good, but not that bad)
-Eternal Sotanta
-Blue Dragon

But my definate buy would be Mass Effect, i started it before. If you liked KOTOR, then you'll love this instantly

Ash3n
12-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Read his post, he said he already had it.

There's a good few, but whatever you do AVOID TWO WORLDS. Just dont get it, no matter what.

-Enchanted Arms (not very good, but not that bad)
-Eternal Sotanta
-Blue Dragon

But my definate buy would be Mass Effect, i started it before. If you liked KOTOR, then you'll love this instantly

Read the whole thread, this has already been addressed.

Maybe you should practice what you preach. Oh and then take your left foot out of your mouth, and insert your right one.

;)

Kazdan
12-27-2007, 06:26 PM
I still haven't decided which to buy, Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon or Mass Effect. =/ I have never played KOTR, but after reading reviews, watching trailers/screenshots I know I'd like this game. However, I'm very familiar with JRPG's, so I know what to expect from Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon. Gosh, this is hard decision.

EDIT: Actually I think I'm going to buy either Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata. Since the battle system in Mass Effect is like in shooters. I'm going to take a little break from shooters now. ;o

But since we are on this site... which one has easier achievements, Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata?

Slarak
12-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Both can be severe pains in the ass. It will all depend on which game you actually enjoy playing because personally I find it worse then scratching a chalkboard then trying to get achievements on a shotty game. Halo for example (just to piss off the halo fan boys:ass)

Shinobi273
12-27-2007, 09:38 PM
But since we are on this site... which one has easier achievements, Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata?

Mass Effect has the eaisest achievements IMO, followed by Eternal Sonata. Blue Dragon has really time consuming achievements.

o0EVIL0o x360a
12-27-2007, 09:39 PM
I've heard Eternal Sonata is easier on achievements than Blue Dragon. You do have to play the story through twice, but it's still considerably shorter/easier than Blue Dragon. (achievement-wise)

Gun-Nut
12-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Just for those raving about Oblivion, Personally I hate it and Mass Effect seems nothing like it to me or I would not be playing it, I have tried it on both PC and 360! Hate it when people rave about a game and start saying go out a buy it! Some people don't like it!

Anyways on topic, I would go with Mass Effect! its an amazing RPG, should check out reviews on GameTrailers on the ones suggested and work out what you like, Some do have demos like Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon so give them a-go.

If you liked the Final Fantasy games you are bound to like Blue Dragon, Maybe not as much but its the closet your going to get on the 360 at this current time.

o0EVIL0o x360a
12-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Hate it when people rave about a game and start saying go out a buy it! Some people don't like it!

Anyways on topic, I would go with Mass Effect!

Sorry man, I had to. lol

YoungStunna69
12-27-2007, 10:35 PM

Sorry, maybe I'm a little slow today or something.. we're you being sarcastic or we're you answering my question? But if your right and Gears of War is an RPG.. then fuck Saints Row.. I'm all for Gears!:uzi:

Ash3n
12-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Sorry man, I had to. lol

Amen. If you didn't do it, I was going to.

o0EVIL0o x360a
12-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Sorry, maybe I'm a little slow today or something.. we're you being sarcastic or we're you answering my question? But if your right and Gears of War is an RPG.. then fuck Saints Row.. I'm all for Gears!:uzi:

He was joking mate. Neither games are RPG. Saint's Row is sandbox and Gears is a shooter.

These are all the RPGs for the 360

The Elder Scrolls 4
Blue Dragon
Eternal Sonata
Mass Effect
Phantasy Star Universe
Enchanted Arms
Two Worlds

Debatable:
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (RPG elements)

Upcoming:
Fallout 3
Culdcept Saga
Lost Odyssey
Fable 2

PerpetualHeaven
12-27-2007, 11:33 PM
Well u can do your own things.. It's like GTA drive around i think its an RPG too. I pick Saints Row

Is Mass Efect so great?? I don't have it.. the most time ur talking...

There's a huge difference between RPG element in a video game and the genre of a video game being RPG. Saints Row and GTA have RPG elements. They aren't entirely RPGs.

He was being sarcastic. I think you would have noticed that considering Gears has no RPG elements whatsoever. Saints Row and Gears are not RPGs.

Kazdan
12-28-2007, 12:32 AM
If you liked the Final Fantasy games you are bound to like Blue Dragon, Maybe not as much but its the closet your going to get on the 360 at this current time.

Yes, I like Final Fantasy games and I'm looking for a game thats the closest to FF games. Maybe I'll have to go with Blue Dragon this time then.

Who128
12-28-2007, 02:50 AM
Pokemon Pearl. A True RPG.

Likkel
12-28-2007, 05:46 AM
If you're going for a turned based RPG I would go for Blue Dragon, the achievements can be hard to gain, but as turned based RPG's go on the Xbox 360, this one is the best.

Others you can try are Eternal Sonata or Phantasy Star Universe, Enchanted Arms is also sort of turned base, although you can move throughout the fights.

gamergirl11
12-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Oblivion is good but when I played it for 12 hours a day for two or three days straight I started dreaming about it at night. NOT good haha.

HAHA...atleast I'm not the only one!

Funny story along those lines...my room mate bought oblivion after seeing me spend hours with it and so the two of us would sit in our living room playing for days on end. Well, one morning i went to wake him up for class saying, 'Bryce, you gotta get up, you've got class' and he rolls over and mumbles, 'Miriam, just go sell stuff...go sell your longsword'

ROTFL

Ceryino63
12-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Eternal Sonata - What a fantastic game. Combat was unique, story was good, and the music was fantastic.

Mass Effect - Just bought this myself, but it definatly reminds me of KOTOR, and that game ate many hours of my life away hehe.

Blue Dragon - Another fantastic RPG that you will not realize how many hours you pump into it and keep having fun with it.

prowlerdante
12-29-2007, 01:35 AM
Mass Effect, definately. I got two other games for Xmas, but from the time I woke up until the time I went to bed, I played Mass Effect until I beat it, and that was a good 25 hours the first time through. Now I need to get the rest of the achievements.

Deyankees1
12-29-2007, 02:01 AM
Oblivion FTW!!!! But since he has it I would wait till Feb when Lost Odyssey is suppose to come out.

PS. Oblivion is a great game that is immersive, I haven't put in many hours to it maybe around 20-25 and I'm not even 30% done.

But anyways dont get Enchanted Arms that game disappointed me in every way.

Tatanko
12-29-2007, 04:32 AM
I just finished today a 27 hour jaunt through Mass Effect (first run through, and I got the "Majority Completed" achievement if that gives you any idea) over the period of only 2 days and even though it consumed my life it was one of the best gaming experiences I have had single player in a long, long time. GET IT!