PDA

View Full Version : Bad at drums?

Assassin23
12-27-2007, 06:36 AM
I can't even get the drums up to hard, and I can do some songs on medium. The big problem is I can't hit bass pedal and do drum pads at same time I ALWAYS mess up. Any suggestions on how to get better at this?

PanTh3r
12-27-2007, 06:50 AM
good coorination is all i can think of, i suck at drums and singing pretty badly :-\

Fonkey Monkey
12-27-2007, 07:02 AM
if it wasnt for the bass pedal i bet i could play on expert lol. but alas im not that coordinated so i only play on easy. damn bass pedal.

moonieass13
12-27-2007, 07:31 AM
I just finished the first tier of songs on hard... I am very bad at drums to... the bass pedal gets me everytime.. just practice on easy then once you are comfortable with that try the first tier of songs on medium.. then once you are decent at those try the harder songs then rinse and repeat... I pretty much played medium from the start.. but I have never touched an actual drum in real life

TwistedFate
12-27-2007, 01:52 PM
I can't even get the drums up to hard, and I can do some songs on medium. The big problem is I can't hit bass pedal and do drum pads at same time I ALWAYS mess up. Any suggestions on how to get better at this?

Go into practice mode and slow it down. Most of the songs use a basic pattern that repeats, and most of the songs use a slight variation on the standard Red/Yellow rhythm pattern as the base for the song. Once you have the basic rhythmic pattern down, it gets much easier. If you get in trouble on the non-standard portions you can count on the base pattern to get back on track once you have it nailed.

Ignore Overdrive fill zones. If you don't activate Overdrive, they will keep giving you opportunities to trigger it. Use these pauses to reset your inner timer and get back on track.

If you don't have Overdrive built up, don't be afraid to stop playing for a second and get back on track if you get off rhythm. Missing 5 notes completely, but getting the next 10-15 right is better than flailing about trying to get back on rhythm. Don't wait until you are in the red to do this, or you risk failing the song.

If you are struggling, concentrate on the Red and Orange. The crowd is less forgiving if you miss the Red and Orange hits. Miss the others ones if you have to, but be sure to get the Reds and Oranges. You mentioned having trouble with the pads and the pedal simultaneously. So knowing the Orange is more important, when facing a double hit, if you feel you can only hit one of them, make sure it's the pedal that you use.

In practice mode, play just the orange hits to get a feel for it. Then go through it again and add the red hits. Once you are comfortable with Red and Orange (remember they are the most important to keep the crowd happy), add the yellow, then the blue then the green.

Don't get discouraged. Drums aren't easy for a lot of people. They require you to move 3 different limbs at different times. Keep practicing and you'll get it.

soccerplaya13cj
12-27-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm in marching band so I always tap my foot to music always. So when your listening to your ipod or the radio or whatever, find the beat and tap your foot. In about a week bass pedal should be easier.

DFILL450
12-27-2007, 04:20 PM
I think its just one of those things that you have to practice at. You either have drumming in you or you don't. Its not like guitar hero where if you can't play that, then you can't play real guitar.

I tried playing a real kit and I realized I'm actually really good and now I love it. All because of Rock Band...

TwistedFate
12-27-2007, 04:30 PM
I tried playing a real kit and I realized I'm actually really good and now I love it. All because of Rock Band...

I'll be picking up a real drum kit this summer because of Rock Band.

DFILL450
12-27-2007, 04:36 PM
I'll be picking up a real drum kit this summer because of Rock Band.
Yeah we always had a drum set in my basement, but I never bothered to play it. Then I started playing the drums on rock band, and wanted to try them out. A real kit is way better though. Its a lot of fun to play.

deathbypig37x
12-27-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm in marching band so I always tap my foot to music always. So when your listening to your ipod or the radio or whatever, find the beat and tap your foot. In about a week bass pedal should be easier.
Me too man, but marking time doesn't help you much with expert drums on Dead On Arrival. :p

You can always have a friend do bass pedal for you if you can't handle it. If you don't like that option, do what everyone is saying; practice. :woop:

I King Pin 0
12-28-2007, 12:31 AM
I can only play the drums on easy. :( My problem though is my foot gets tired of being held ever so slightly off the ground and all of the sudden I will just tap the pedal to mess me up. But alas, I will never give up!!!

TA Sasuke
12-28-2007, 08:14 AM
i am great at the pads, but the pedal always messes me up. sometimes its because i just cant get the pattern down, but a lot of the time my ankle starts hurting EXTREMELY bad and it messes up my playing :mad: any ideas from anyone?

xRogue 5x
12-28-2007, 08:18 AM
I am pretty good at the guitar stuff thanks largely to guitar hero but the drums absolutely slay me. The kick peddle stuff is a little easier if you rig up a second kick peddle using a headphone splitter.

TwistedFate
12-28-2007, 03:23 PM
I can only play the drums on easy. :( My problem though is my foot gets tired of being held ever so slightly off the ground and all of the sudden I will just tap the pedal to mess me up. But alas, I will never give up!!!

Don't hold your foot up all the time. Keep the pedal depressed all the time, then lift your foot and set it back down to activate it. Much less strain on your foot.

sk8ter107
12-29-2007, 10:25 PM
i read on a tip during the loading that the crowd doesnt mind the missing of the blue, yellow, green pads as much as the red pad and bass pedal. so just try to hit those to the most out of them all and u should come close to passing