PDA

View Full Version : Third secret area in Oriental Castle.

davesuk
07-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Can anyone give me some tips on how to get the Holy item, it's driving me mad. Just don't see how you can make this jump. Been at it now for over an hour.

Nevander
07-01-2013, 11:01 PM
This video shows the secrets (it should be the same). To jump around that window on a 360 controller, I would use LB as jump and make sure to jump twice in the same spot before moving forward to get jump momentum. Move your aim right as you go around the window. If I can make the same jump on Hell Wars, you should have no problems here:

(PC) Painkiller Hell & Damnation: Chapter3-2 Oriental Castle Secrets [1080P] - YouTube

davesuk
07-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Cheers, thanks for the tips will try it out now. Did it first time, thank you.

MsBehavin
07-06-2013, 06:34 PM
This one was a bitch, Dave! I just had to keep going at it until I landed on the right spot. Annoying thing is, you have to land on each actual secret area, you can't just swipe the items as you fall past, or 'secret area' doesn't appear for it to recognise you got the area. I discovered that on the last secret area of Loony Park. I gave up it's the only one I haven't been able to get to in the end. I was trying for all secret areas on each level until then. Should be an achievement for that, but as there's not, and it only asks for 25, I stopped bothering so much. I'd got 3/4 and yet at the end of the level, it said I got one too!

KriugerisLT
07-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Game uses the same old school FPS mechanic in which while bunnyhopping, if you manage to turn your camera at a angle mid-jump, you can easily change the trajectory of your movement. Took me about ~10 tries to get that secret, the trick is to flick the RS as soon as you jump, without getting caught in alcove that you need to jump out from. It's difficult to explain, but it's a lot easier, if you're playing with a mouse+keyboard. Simply because, you can turn the mouse a lot faster and more precisely. It doable, with a lot of trial and error even with a gamepad.

MsBehavin
07-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Ah, thank you. I thought it was just me or something and thought bunny hopping was simply just using jump repeatedly whilst using left stick to move. I'm no spring chicken to gaming and played Doom etc. on PC with family back in the day, but no one ever mentioned it back then and it was on other people's computers. That's why it's a pain there are so few videos with commentary or useful commentary. For instance with the one secret area I've not been able to get, the last in Loony Park, you look at the videos and it looks like they are turning after jumping, which you'd assume was left stick movement, so that must be where I'm going wrong. It will take a bit of getting used to, like learning to co-ordinate left and right all over in a way. ;)
The ones that took me a good few attempts were the window cill one up the ladder in oriental castle and the city on water one. I got city on water by jumping from the balcony railing to the wooden plank platform, then just took a running jump from far enough back on the plank, to get back, but it took a while because I was doing the old, not managing to hit jump in time at the edge of the plank. I know my left is weaker than my right and jumping using a left hand button on the controller is new but oddly natural in open areas, but reaction might be slightly slower in tricky situations.

Undead Baby
07-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the help

Nevander
07-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Yea I probably should have mentioned that in many older shooters, when you turn your aim, you actually go the direction you're aiming if you turn the aim itself and not just strafing. lol

Missingnin80
07-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Oh man am I glad this is out of the way! I just spent 40 mins trying to do it, I finally did after getting very frustrated in the process. Was sweating a bit that the achievement wouldn't pop and I would have to do it all over again, I think if that was the case I might have just decided against trying again....at least for a while.
Thanks for the tips nevander using the trigger helped IMMENSELY.

MsBehavin
07-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Yea I probably should have mentioned that in many older shooters, when you turn your aim, you actually go the direction you're aiming if you turn the aim itself and not just strafing. lol

They should have mentioned it/made it clearer in the onscreen messages or in the tutorial level. Tbh, I got through the whole game without that right stick during jumping. Maybe because I've never used it, but it seems as though it's only of real use for the odd tricky, secret area jump.

Septic
08-18-2013, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=Nevander;5871868]This video shows the secrets (it should be the same). To jump around that window on a 360 controller, I would use LB as jump and make sure to jump twice in the same spot before moving forward to get jump momentum. Move your aim right as you go around the window. If I can make the same jump on Hell Wars, you should have no problems here:

Thank you for this post. Got it second try after reading this. Wasted 30 min trying. The jump on the spot before leaping forward did the trick.