PDA

View Full Version : Site Review is up, plus my thoughts

Nevander
07-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Let's just say that I... don't agree with it at all. I have to assume that the reviewer is not a Painkiller fan.

You can read it here.
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/painkiller/review/

Here are some of my thoughts coming from a hardcore old school shooter and PK fan below.

Anything I say is of course my opinion in regards to the review writers'. I also of course mean no offense.

Enemies take the shortest route directly towards you each time and EVERY time.

That is the point. So many other old school shooters do it that way. I'd rather have all the enemies come out instead of have one hide in a corner ala CoD.

the frankly ludicrous bunny hop method of mobility

Bunny hopping is way cooler than any other form of mobility in any game ever. That's got to be a fact.

Matters arenít helped when enemies can pop into existence literally anywhere, so the number of frustrating deaths that occur as you try to bait a manageable horde into your killzone is pretty large.

If you used the 'ludicrous' bunny hop to get away from them and funnel them together, you wouldn't really have this problem.

Mainly because you seem to take a ton of damage from even the smallest foes.

Not really. I can take many hits on Daydream at least. Were you on Nightmare? Because that's when you don't want to get corner trapped.

the fun is over before it ever truly begins. You can literally blitz through the game in five hours or so without truly breaking a sweat and there is little here to warrant a repeat performance. Sure you can tackle the harder difficulties, the highest of which is annoyingly locked away meaning achievement hunters can expect to slog through the game two or three times at least, but the game is simply not enough fun to justify it.

Give it to North America and that will change instantly! I want it NOW! I know what I'm getting into and I'm ready!

Painkiller: Hell & Damnation is a dated and faded experience that will only truly appeal to hardcore fans of the classic shooter genre

This is probably true, sadly. I wish more people would give it a try for game's sake. Most people now don't want to play anything that isn't mainstream. I blame social media and consumerism.

Painkiller: Hell & Damnation is one title that is certainly feeling its age and never sticks around long enough to persuade you otherwise.

For me, Painkiller is my age. It, along with even older shooters like Doom, will never be old to me because they never died, and never will. But we all have our opinions...

A rock style score that seems to match Hell with metal but soon becomes pretty tiresome.

Frankly, it would have been better if they left all the original tracks.

Considering the HD upgrade this game is not exactly a looker and enemies, with the exception of some of the bosses, are fairly drab. The backdrops and locales fare better, but even then textures never seem to be as good as they should be.

Compare this game to the version on original Xbox, Hell Wars. You will literally scream at how much better this version looks. I mean yea, it's obvious, but it's also amazing to finally see Painkiller with better graphics on consoles.

Unlock every tarot card, blow apart enemies in different ways and, oh yeah, complete the game multiple times because we LOVE IT when we have to do that.

I'd rather do this than a bunch more multiplayer achievements. I'm glad they only had three.

Painkiller: Hell & Damnation is a relic of old school gaming that is just not as much fun as it was when it first emerged back in the day.

It's a relic that I will proudly place in my gaming collection, and it's a lot more fun than other games out there that most people think are pure gold.

Painkiller H&D never feels like value for money.

It's money well spent in my eyes. ;)

Missingnin80
07-05-2013, 09:48 PM
Hey Nevander. I got the game last weekend, I'd never played a painkiller game before, I'd wanted to but never got round to it. I have to say as a fan of classic "manic" FPS games I really, really enjoyed it. It took a while to get used to the bunny hop method but after a while it becomes a fun gameplay mechanic. There are some awesome levels(Loved the rollercoaster at Loonypark) and best of all the weapons are amazing. The only thing I felt let it down a bit was that the final boss battle could have been a lot better. The fact you only had one slow single fire weapon makes the end boss pretty awkward, I would have preffered to be able to blast away at him with every weapon I'd picked up so far. I suppose it makes sense given the context of the story that that particular weapon would be the only one that could "defeat" him but still it makes for a bit of an anti climactic showdown.

As a fan of metal I loved the soundtrack. I kind of wish the cutscenes were a bit better animated/acted but it adds to the game's charm in a strange way. I'd like to play painkiller black edition on PC now to see the original game's story as from a summary I read it sounds better than the story for this game. Again not that it matters that much, Wolf3D and Doom didn't have a real story or cutscenes and it didn't matter.

In summary it's an incredibly fun game, the weapons and music make for a fairly adrenaline pumping experience at points, some nice bosses too. I'm ready for the DLC levels. I hope we get the "Heaven's Above" DLC from the PC version that turns it into a top down shooter, looks fun.
Thanks for reccomending the game nevander, also cheers for the guide for this game and the Doom games too :)

Fozki Razormaid
07-05-2013, 11:21 PM
While I've only played the demo on daydream
what was very easy
i thought it was great . Better than doom 3

I will buy it when i have more money
just spent 3,000 odd msp on a Hungarian profile

KriugerisLT
07-06-2013, 07:43 AM
I didn't care for the review, as soon as I saw the "frustrating health mechanics" line. Really? I find the regenerating HP mechanic to be really fucking annoying, because almost EVERY game has it. A classic to remind you of the good old shooter days is a great refresher.

It's like the reviewer never played Doom, Quake or any of the Unreal Tournament games...

|A rock style score that seems to match Hell with metal but soon becomes pretty tiresome.|

Seriously? Do you want dubstep or smth? Painkiller and metal go together like bread and butter.

I know that reviews are more or less just opinions with a number to "rate" the game, but I felt that the reviewer compared Painkiller to today's shooters, which SHOULD NOT be the case.

MsBehavin
07-06-2013, 07:10 PM
I've seen a few reviews that mention it's an old school game, but seem to completely ignore that fact, and call it 'dated' and say it's not any fun to play. I certainly have not found that at any point!
As far as health goes, they've simply not spent enough time with the game.

The Pants Party
07-06-2013, 08:00 PM
This is why we don't open the comments section on our reviews. He has given you his opinion of the game, and explained what he did and did not like. If you find that you don't like the same things as him, he's given you a good idea that you may not like this game. If you disagree and like the things he doesn't, then maybe you'll like it. His review is not and can not be "wrong" the same way that what you think of the game is not and can not be "wrong."

Ultimately, our reviews are simply one person's opinion on a given game, which may or may not be helpful in deciding if you will like or dislike it. That final decision still needs to be made by each person trying the game via the demo or taking a risk based on their previous experiences with the genre in question.

jackanape
07-08-2013, 09:00 AM
Actually I have zero problem with people discussing my reviews (as I demonstrated with Defiance recently) as long as they actually bother reading them. The fact someone has questioned whether I've played Doom etc when I mention said game (and others) in the second paragraph just means you've skipped to the score and that's it.

Nevander at least justifies his argument though I'm assuming he is basing that on his experiences with previous Painkiller games as he admits to not having played the 360 version yet. So I guess time will tell.

Regenerating health gets a lot of stick but, for me, this game proves why it is a great addition to the shooter genre. In all honesty I don't want to waste time searching every nook and cranny for health top ups, which is what games like this devolve into (especially on the higher difficulties). I want to kill a bunch of enemies and then move on, simple as that. Instead I'm then forced to scour the landscape for every scrap of helpful armour and health which is just a chore.

Same goes for enemy A.I sure it may have been fun to blast apart stupid drones with zero tactics other than running (or hopping) around in a circle ten years ago. But I expect a bit more from my games now, and the variety in this title is precisely zero, and still manages to get boring despite the relatively short run time of the game.

If you like Painkiller, I'm sure you'll like this but, for me, the shooter genre has mover on dramatically and for the most part positively from games like this.

Thanks for reading.