PDA

View Full Version : "Which game should I get" threads

Bullet2theface
12-30-2007, 02:52 AM
Hello guys, I dont know about everybody else, but I am really gettting tired of seeing tons and tons of "Which game should I get" threads, I had an idea maybe somehow we can put all these in one sticky? I'm just wondering if somebody else was wondering the same thing. I'll make a poll for the hell of it. :p

Sanction
12-30-2007, 03:00 AM
Someone should make a thread stating the pros and cons of every game. That would eliminate those threads.

Otisbum
12-30-2007, 03:04 AM
Someone should make a thread stating the pros and cons of every game. That would eliminate those threads. That'd be really tough, as one person's pros might be another's cons.

Bullet2theface
12-30-2007, 03:05 AM
Someone should make a thread stating the pros and cons of every game. That would eliminate those threads.
That would sort of fall under reviews I suppose? Maybe a sticky where people just post which game they want, and hpefully people will post back? If this does happen, I'll try and answer as many as I can.

Clipse 2
12-30-2007, 03:05 AM
Sounds more like a feedback thread. Personally I think they should be outlawed, if you can't determine what you should play just from your likes and dislikes you should stick to what you've got. People should do more research on games IMO.

Vista
12-30-2007, 03:07 AM
I say we make a sub forum that does not count towards your post count (like top 5 lists) In this thread we can have:

Which game should I get?
What should my new gamertag be?
Should I rent or buy this?
etc...

I am getting tired of seeing pointless threads that get loaded with spam. Mostly it is annoying because you can't compare Rock band and Assassins Creed, or GH III and Halo! Please, some moderator, make this happen!

Otisbum
12-30-2007, 03:11 AM
I say we make a sub forum that does not count towards your post count (like top 5 lists) In this thread we can have:

Which game should I get?
What should my new gamertag be?
Should I rent or buy this?
etc...

I am getting tired of seeing pointless threads that get loaded with spam. Mostly it is annoying because you can't compare Rock band and Assassins Creed, or GH III and Halo! Please, some moderator, make this happen! Sounds good to me.

And I agree with Clipse saying that it's mostly just a bit of research and some common sense when choosing a video game. Sure, get others' opinions on it, but one should have a general idea of which one they might like more. And if they're really confused, they should either find a friend to let them borrow it, or just rent it.

Bullet2theface
12-30-2007, 03:13 AM
Sounds more like a feedback thread. Personally I think they should be outlawed, if you can't determine what you should play just from your likes and dislikes you should stick to what you've got. People should do more research on games IMO.
Thats also the main reason I would like to see this done. I mean it should be pretty easy to decide which game you would like from what you've recently liked. Also if a game has replay value or not should make your choice even easier then it already should be.

PerpetualHeaven
12-30-2007, 04:28 AM
Personally, I get frustrated the most with these. I'm the one who locks them down all the time though. I usually leave them up for 24 hours so they get enough feedback then shut them down. No way to really stop them, so might as well suck it up and watch them be created and locked.

Sanction
12-30-2007, 04:36 AM
Personally, I get frustrated the most with these. I'm the one who locks them down all the time though. I usually leave them up for 24 hours so they get enough feedback then shut them down. No way to really stop them, so might as well suck it up and watch them be created and locked.

And that is why we love you. You work so hard and get nothing to show for it. ;)

It has been an epidemic around here along with "I wAnnA chamGE my NaMe! wHat shouLD I MakE it?!?!11!11eleven!!!111!??"

JohnTheGamer
12-30-2007, 07:53 AM

Yeah, for you it's just a part of your job, that's how I am with my job just suck it up. But the threads do get annoying after a while. People just need to make up their own minds or do a little bit of research themselves.

Mirksta
12-30-2007, 01:15 PM
They should be allowed until every game has been reviewed by our review team, then a shortened version of the reviews put into stickies to make a ranking system, e.g. Top 10/20 FPS, Top 10/20 Sports, Top 10/20 Family etc. And seeing as that takes a lot of time and probably won't get done, then they should be allowed. Maybe a forum just for which games discussions.

Jdm
12-30-2007, 01:24 PM

^^^I'm with you on that PH7!;)

That's why I NEVER Vote or Reply to this kind of "threads".

StingX2
12-30-2007, 01:39 PM
my only problem with this is bias, if the author hates game but it has a cult following and he doesnt list it then its as useful as typing HALOBIOBOXCREED

SegaSaturnSNK
12-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Either put it as a sticky so a lot of us can avoid it or put the ban hammer to people who post those pointless threads up. Really annoying and stupid and it's always between two games that are two totally different genres.

soccerplaya13cj
12-30-2007, 05:06 PM
I created one of those threads yesterday, and I'll tell you I read almost every review that pops up on IGN. I do my research on games. This is a gaming forum, so there is always going to be threads like this. Just learn to ignore it, you don't have to click on it. I posted my thread because it's always good to hear as many opinions as possible.One way to fix this is on the page on the main site where you see the achievement lists, news, etc. Put a user reviews section and let them rate it like the normal reviews and give a brief summary.

SegaSaturnSNK
12-30-2007, 05:42 PM
I created one of those threads yesterday, and I'll tell you I read almost every review that pops up on IGN. I do my research on games. This is a gaming forum, so there is always going to be threads like this. Just learn to ignore it, you don't have to click on it. I posted my thread because it's always good to hear as many opinions as possible.One way to fix this is on the page on the main site where you see the achievement lists, news, etc. Put a user reviews section and let them rate it like the normal reviews and give a brief summary.

Go to Gamerankings.com to look at more reviews besides IGN. Explore more and you can always go to Gamefaqs.com and read their reviews as well.

You can even go to the game's threads here and see what everyone has to say. You can go ahead and ask questions there too for your curiosity of that certain game you're looking for. Better off doing this than the whole asking what game should I get. If you're a gamer then you should be confident enough to know what to buy and what will satisfy you.

Bullet2theface
12-30-2007, 05:48 PM
^^^I'm with you on that PH7!;)

That's why I NEVER Vote or Reply to this kind of "threads".
Don't lie to yourself you spammer. :p

Steelhead
12-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Sounds more like a feedback thread. Personally I think they should be outlawed
I pretty much agree. It all comes down to personal opinion and nobody can really tell you what YOU are going to like. GRAW is a popular game, and I love shooters, but I think the game sucked horribly. It's 100% personal preference.

Bullet2theface
12-30-2007, 06:52 PM
I pretty much agree. It all comes down to personal opinion and nobody can really tell you what YOU are going to like. GRAW is a popular game, and I love shooters, but I think the game sucked horribly. It's 100% personal preference.
Very true, hopefully people will stop making these kinds of threads.

PerpetualHeaven
12-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Yeah, for you it's just a part of your job, that's how I am with my job just suck it up. But the threads do get annoying after a while. People just need to make up their own minds or do a little bit of research themselves.

No, I don't have to lock them up if I didn't want to. If I didn't lock them up, no one else would really. There's really no solution. We're starting to have WAY too many stickies in all of our forums. Just to keep adding more stickies causes clutter.

Sanction
12-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Have 1 sticky for EVERYTHING! :D

artvandel4y
12-31-2007, 03:06 AM
Have one for each basic genre. Which shooter, open world action, sports, music, racing etc. game should I get. For questions with way more than one right answer, they should be opened up a bit.
Yes, I am sick of those guys as well. Figure it out yourselves.

Fonkey Monkey
12-31-2007, 03:10 AM
i think people should learn how to download demos.
and look around the forum and at screenshots.
they would figure it out for themselves if they took the time.

Jdm
12-31-2007, 05:45 AM
Don't lie to yourself you spammer. :p

*Removes Bullet2theface on Friend's List*

*Infracts Bullet2theface for calling a Mod a "Spammer"*

Watch me Flex my Powers.;):p