PDA

View Full Version : most overrated game of all time

constantine
12-30-2007, 06:35 AM
Which games do you guys feel were so hyped and rated high in review scores but you felt was not worth the hype?

I am going to get so much complaints for saying this but i think the halo series is SO overrated. im not gonna get into why cause someone will find me and kill me lol.

this goes for anygame on any console. new old pc mac whatever.

SynysterChris
12-30-2007, 06:47 AM
Im going with call of duty 4 is good but not great like everyone says it is. Its no where near halo in my opionion. but yes halo is very hyped but it never dissapoints. hey i hated fps at first then halo opened my eyes.

run ita charlie
12-30-2007, 06:54 AM
Even though i am a big fan of halo i would have to say Halo series. With all the hype i thought i was going to see the BEST game ever! so i saved up $150 and bought the legendary edition halo 3 on the very first day right after the school. I beat it in 6 hours and played the MP and what did i see? nothing all too special. It is by far one of the biggest disappointments i ever had in my life.

n1n3t33nd3lta
12-30-2007, 06:59 AM
I can't believe I stood in line for 4+ hours just to get halo 3, and it turned out to be mediocre. It was supposed to be the greatest game ever and blah blah, and it sucked. I played it for 4 hours and had already had it beat.

UnHoLy DeFeAt
12-30-2007, 07:08 AM
the hype on halo was huge.

drno
12-30-2007, 07:09 AM
I'm going to go with ET for the atari or pac man for the atari.
Pretty much every commercial when ET was coming for the atari was about it. They literally made it is 3 weeks and made more cartridges than atari consoles. This was the first game that had people in a line before it came out. Of course ET only sold 1.5 million cartridges out of the 4 mil produced. So the remaining 2.5 million were dumped into a landfill which caused a major fiasco and had Atari in more money lost than if they simply turned the remaining ET cartridges into ET cereal. The entire thing ended up with Atari way in debt (I believe the estimate was 536 million dollars) and eventually led to the bankruptcy of Atari.
I'd say that was more over-hyped than Halo 3.

constantine
12-30-2007, 07:12 AM
ET how could i forget. et was shiiiiiit. lol seriously it had nothing to do with the movie. LOL

botafogo007
12-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Yeah it's pretty tough to top ET considering all the commercials and whatnot in an age when video games didn't get near the advertising they do now (anyone remember ET in the Santa hat? lol).

I also remember Super Mario 2 for the original NES being a huge 'WTF' moment since the game the Western world got had nothing to do with the Japanese SM2 release and wasn't even a Mario game until they cut and pasted him into it. Lots of people like the game, but I don't recall anyone being pleasantly surprised when it came out.

JohnTheGamer
12-30-2007, 07:50 AM
Most games are so hyped up nowadays we all expect them to revolutionize gaming itself. Games like BioShock hardly recieve any hype and it's one of the best games ever yet Halo 3 got so much attention and it does a few things new (saving videos and screenshots) but it's not moving the FPS genre forward. What you need to realize is that the hype is just coming from the company trying to sell a product and need to think is it really ing to be that great or are they just selling it. Advent Rising anyone?

And to answer the question, I'd think Halo 3 was so hyped up but I was very pleased and glad I got it on lauch night. I'd have to mention Advent Rising too.

AlexUplinked
12-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Going to have to go with Halo as well....The amount of Hype that followed the game was just insane, and personally I think Halo only really became what it was because of when it came out. It was really the only xbox title out at the time, so people brought it...

[Alex]

Minty
12-30-2007, 12:07 PM
If people cant guess what I vote for, they should pay more attention :p

sam49
12-30-2007, 12:10 PM
I voted for Halo series. I mean come on whats so special about it.

krucifiedkevin
12-30-2007, 12:48 PM
over rated or over hyped? everyone seems to be saying over hyped which then i would agree with which would be Halo, nothing can live up to the hype that was Halo 3..
over rated, on the poll the tony hawk series..
over rated game of all time, the GTA series and the whole "sand box" style of play. now if a game isnt sand box style people complain about its linearity(is that a word?) anyways...
as far as the whole ET thingy i dont think it was ever actually proven that they dumped all those cartidges in a landfill, because back then most of the parts for the cartidges could be recycled and reused for other games etc.....
god though how i remember how god awful that game was and the pac man for the atari as well......

Mirksta
12-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Hmmm... maybe Halo??? Lets jsut take a look at my local gamestation... they have well over 50 traded in copies of Halo in the shop at that time, and are only offering 8 for any copy of halo, because nobody buys it. My friend works there, and they're gonna stop accepting it in trade ins. Whys that you wonder? People bought it because it is overhyped, and crap.
Now lets check CoD4 - sold out all over the place, and as far as my friend knows, theres only been a few traded in so far.

SuperSouter
12-30-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm gonna say Halo, its a great game but not THAT good.

VI JimJam
12-30-2007, 01:33 PM
EA games tend to be over-rated, they're ALWAYS the same as their predecessor, making it just better graphics and more up-to-date, nothing new!

Halo, Call of Duty and Tony Hawks series try to introduce something new to each or their games.

EA ? - I know how much you hate Tiger Woods

I can't imagine you'd vote for Halo, I know just how much you love it! LOL!

knockton55
12-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Definately Halo, but that wasnt as big as a dissapointment as Assassin's Creed. Awww christ, i cant believe i had to do basically the same investigations 9 times. 9! Great ending however

Vista
12-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Gears of War. Game was way overrated. Online sucks, story mode was decent but the online community is a bunch of little kids yelling "I need the sniper for my achievement, nooooo gimme the sniper!!1!!!" Plus there were a bunch of cheater and button glitchers, like the shotgun glitch...

benbam87
12-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Yep Halo has to win this one

Ecks UK
12-30-2007, 03:38 PM
None of those. Gears of War is the most overrated game.

SegaSaturnSNK
12-30-2007, 03:38 PM
Halo wins by default even though, EA games are def. overrated and near the competition that Halo is.

Vista
12-30-2007, 03:43 PM
None of those. Gears of War is the most overrated game.

FINALLY! Someone that agrees with me! Its like you all are brainwashed by that stupid game!

Otisbum
12-30-2007, 05:59 PM
the hype on halo was huge. Not that I remember.

I remember the hype on Halo 2 being just about as big, if not bigger.

But yeah, on that list, Halo is the most overrated.

NyteRayne
12-30-2007, 06:32 PM
I had to go for EA. All of the 'it's in the game' ads...almost every game is the same as the previous year with maybe one new feature and two new bugs. If it wasn't for the updated rosters and new rookies, there wouldn't be a need to buy new ones...but you still can't watch ESPN or SPIKE TV without seeing a few dozen ads.

Bax x360a
12-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Halo's way too overated for my liking.

Bullet2theface
12-30-2007, 06:51 PM
Halo 3, no doubt was the most hyped.

drno
12-30-2007, 06:51 PM
Hmmm... maybe Halo??? Lets jsut take a look at my local gamestation... they have well over 50 traded in copies of Halo in the shop at that time, and are only offering 8 for any copy of halo, because nobody buys it. My friend works there, and they're gonna stop accepting it in trade ins. Whys that you wonder? People bought it because it is overhyped, and crap.

Don't they make a profit when people buy a game then return it. I remember buying the first DBZ fighting game for 50 bucks. Then I go to return it and get 5 cents in store credit (true story). Even if I bothered to use those credits I still lose $49.95. Then when the store sells the game to another idiot for $20 (because now it is "used" and loses its value) they make a total profit of $69.95.

Seems like the same method would be used for Halo. I recently went to my Target to buy Mass Effect and asked how much Halo cost. It was still $60, $50 used. When I asked how much I could return it for he said I could get $10 in store credits for it. Still a great profit for the company.

Halo isn't crap. You could say it's bad in your opinion but I think we can all agree that compared to most other games it is at least a step above the competition.

gamergirl11
12-30-2007, 06:52 PM
I have to agree with most and say Halo...don't get me wrong...i LOVE Halo with all my heart...but there are so many other games out there that tickle my fancy more!! :D

Steelhead
12-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Bioshock, for sure. Yes, it is an outstanding game, but people call it "original" which is ridiculous. It's almost a carbon copy of System Shock 2 with a 50's coat of paint.

Drewdude1023
12-30-2007, 07:07 PM
why isnt gears of war in this poll?

Sanction
12-30-2007, 07:14 PM
This poll is retarded, where is BioShock or Gears? BioShock gets my vote, but since it isn't there, I won't pick one.

Adam Miller
12-30-2007, 07:31 PM
I went for COD 4 that was really hyped for what i thought was a normal army style shooter, but then i didnt really try the online..

No doubt Minty went for Halo..and that was hyped for a reason. ;)

oneandonlytommo
12-30-2007, 07:39 PM
where the hell is gears of war :eek: that is the most overated piece of crap of all time.

RedBlinky
12-30-2007, 07:55 PM
I think there is a big difference between overhyped and overrated I seem to recall alot of different XBOX games promising to be the NEXT BIG THING (Advent Rising Anyone?) But in the end these games turn out to be trash or exactly like everything else. As far as overrated games I.E. games that received high reviews but just weren't that great. Halo has to be up there, everything after the first one was just more of the same. Their is no way Halo 3 gets a 10 in OXM it shouldn't happen just because of the namesake. Then again people pay 100$ for a shirt they can get for 10$ with a different logo so I guess i'm not surprised.

GOW was extremely overrated I couldn't believe how terrible the game was. The Rodie (sp) run was terrible and far from evolutionary.

But my ultimate ULTIMATE overrated game I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned. World of Warcraft. Enough said. Not even close to as good as half the MMORPG's out there yet for some reason that is the one that everyone loved. The quests are linear and boring and the price is twice as much monthly as an average MMORPG.

P.S. Any idea where my GT in my sig and under my name went?

Theluckylefty26
12-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Halo ist not even close

Nj RZA
12-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Skate made me realize what THPS should of been in the first place. :( Tony Hawks is still fun its just so unrealistic which is why i'm not sure a game like Skate JUST came out.

Netnabi4
12-30-2007, 08:25 PM
The Halo series deseres the hype and is by no means the most overrated game series or game of all time. Halo CE was one of the greatest games ever.

ET=The Most Overrated Game Ever

Harrister101
12-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Personally Id say the EA one's, nothing against them, but its because i play the other ones XD
Halo..overated.. :O
It is an amazing game but its going to be called overated because so many gamers and producers simply define it as the god of all shooters.
Its very good, but i doubt any game could live up to halo's speculation

Kazdan
12-30-2007, 08:34 PM
where the hell is gears of war :eek: that is the most overated piece of crap of all time.

I lol'd.

PhotoJ
12-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Gears of War, Halo 3, Call of duty 4? Those games all delivered, halo isn't really overrated- its a simple to play but tricky to master FPS with stellar multiplayer, GoW brought new gameplay to the table so fuck no, and call of duty 4 brings an old franchise into a new period with an awesome and creative SP and a supremely fun MP.

Where the fuck is assassins creed on this poll, that game looked so promising and was so hyped but it was so goddamn repetitive and boring...

sterob70
12-30-2007, 08:50 PM
halo 3 was way over hyped

ppl paying for a mega super bos set was even more stupid

Darth Odan
12-30-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm going with Bioshock. It won the game of the year, but I find it boring and probably worse than America's Army: True Soldiers.

Razza-Legend
12-30-2007, 10:07 PM

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vogey77
12-30-2007, 10:31 PM
Halo 3, way to short and now that I got COD 4 I never even play it.

Deyankees1
12-30-2007, 10:38 PM
For everyone saying Bioshock I say WOW how is Bioshock overrated it deserves GoTY its truly a great game. Who cares if its a System Shock2 look alike is that a bad thing. Anyways there should of been a other choice because I find none of these overrated to the extent that I will vote for.

Maka
12-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Bioshock = Average

fullblown
12-30-2007, 10:42 PM
at first, i thought halo3 was overated, and then i went to my friends house one day, and it happen to become one of the most addicting games ever! anyways, i don't beleive their is a official overated game, because everyone as their own opinions

C Murder 810
12-30-2007, 11:00 PM
halo 3 hands down even tho it has a great multiplayer
and whoever thinks gears didnt live up to the hype is crazy

adamptfc
12-30-2007, 11:16 PM
Halo 3. People just made it sound so good and really it wasn't as good as it was made out to be.

odysseus123
12-30-2007, 11:29 PM
How can you guys still say these heavy hitters are overrated? Yea maybe to an extent, but they all brought something too the table as promised by each of the developers.

I agree with others about E.T. being overrated. Not much more too say that has already been said about it.

Oh yea next time when you ask or someone asks you "Is this game good? alot of people say it is." Be sure it'll be a game that you know they/you would like because obviously everyone has their own opinions.

artvandel4y
12-31-2007, 03:02 AM
Change it to decade's most overrated game
You forgot Dead Rising. Not that highly rated? exactly. I'd say Tony Hawk, but that game is no longer overrated. Gears was really overrated as well, more so than CoD 4, I say this based on multiplayer.
CoD 4 was a good game, a lot of fun, but not as amazing as people say it is. It is an 8.5 not a 10 like some magazines and sites make it out to be. It lacked the polish of Halo 3. The multiplayer was deeper but less dynamic.
Bioshock is not game of the year because it is ultimately very linear and had iffy gunplay moments. It was also unique and gave things no other game with shooting had. Not entirely overrated but not the champ over Mass Effect either.

Fonkey Monkey
12-31-2007, 03:04 AM
gears of war.
seriously....that game had no redeeming value whatsoever.

hopesfall2win
12-31-2007, 03:29 AM
Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy ..just because I can ;)

hotdog1802
12-31-2007, 03:44 AM
I love halo's multiplayer.But i dont like the single player that much.

eXiled Killah
12-31-2007, 04:09 AM
Halo's way too overated for my liking.

:whs:whs:whs

Nuff said!

Oldeez
12-31-2007, 05:24 AM
just cause its cool not to like halo.....i voted COD4 i mean its just like any other military WW2 (except its not based then) fps and everythinks halo3 isnt good and doesnt liv up to the hype but it has so many other great features that other games dont hav and beats them in the normal gameplay as well

KTC
12-31-2007, 05:31 AM
I agree with the people who have said Gears of War, i played it at my friends before i got my own Xbox and i knew it was a game to avoid when i got mine. Full of stupid kids online too.

Halo has it's fair share of kids who come on and do the whole smack talk thing but it's not too hard to shut them up.

I also thought Assassin's Creed was overrated, but the reviews it got were fair and matched it.......it's hype however made people think it was going to be the greatest game of all time and unfortunately it was not

constantine
12-31-2007, 02:10 PM
metal gear solid???? LOL

Spades12321
12-31-2007, 02:38 PM
Halo 3 or gears

Zaiden892
12-31-2007, 06:16 PM
Halo. It's a fun game and all, but it doesn't really do anything to change the FPS genre, it's just a simple shooter really.

TriesButFails
12-31-2007, 08:22 PM
Halo 3 is definatley the most overrated game.....I mean they had their own Mountain Dew drink!!

Also I don't think any game is worth 150 dollars for just a helmet and it was your average FPS...

Pez
12-31-2007, 09:12 PM
From that list I'd have to go with Halo 3. Most of my reasons have been stated by everyone else though, so I don't think I need to explain why! :p

~SS

gravest_jimmy
12-31-2007, 09:44 PM
Halo = very good game, but if theyd made the story just a bit longer, online just a bit more interesting , and maybe made the achievements harder to get it could have been so much more.

Assassins creed= sort about bloody gameplay and fire Jade Raymond for talking out her A**

Tony Hawk series= lost its' flair became too odd.

EA=some truth but meh, too vague

ET=just sucked balls in general, waste of my time and life.

aussie_warrior117
12-31-2007, 09:47 PM
I am going to say Halo 2. Halo 1 was possibly the game that has brought some of my best gaming experiences ever and they promised Halo 2 would be better. I was so engrossed in seeing it, i used to stay up and watch the videos over and over again and fail the test at school the following day and when I took a day off, I was like WHERE'S THE BLOODY ASSAULT RIFLE? But eventually I learned to love the BR and find it to be a weapon that holds more pride. So Halo 2 was the worst game and most overrated game in the series.

Bio-Strike
12-31-2007, 10:10 PM
I wouldn't say the whole Halo series but yeah, Halo 2 and 3 were definitely overhyped.

puckup
12-31-2007, 10:12 PM
Halo 3 is the most hyped Im a fan of the game but it wasent that good i mean i thought it was great until i got to a really high level and then all the super nerds would rape me

Armstrong x360a
01-01-2008, 03:18 AM
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed playing through the Halo campaigns, and the online was always fun with friends, but I've never understood all the hype. Halo 3 is basically Halo 2 gameplay all over again with better graphics. Meh, there are other shooters out there with better MP and more engaging story telling although maybe not both in the same game.

Tibbs
01-01-2008, 03:20 AM
Halo series!!

Raider
01-01-2008, 04:54 AM
Halo. EA games and tony hawks are expected to be naff. COD4 is good. Halo is just... boring.

willcrazyiii
01-01-2008, 06:50 AM
Where is Gears of War... that game had fun single player, if not short, but truly awful multiplayer.

Look at me! I can run around with the shotgun and slam on right trigger! Great fun.

fullblown
01-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy ..just because I can ;)

definately

cricketjimmy
01-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Man you guys are just insane! Halo 3 is NOT the most overrated game ever!
Sure, it has some flaws and it is a lot like Halo 2 in it's gameplay. But isn't that basically what every sports game is (eg. FIFA, NFL, NHL, Tony Hawk). Just a slightly updated version of the previous one? And no one complains about that. I believe the most overrated game is Bioshock. I have and the game and I agree that it is fairly decent, but the gameplay is very repetitive and the game is VERY short. Plus, it has no multiplayer to increase it's replayability.

LethalRope
01-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Why isn't Street Fighter 2 there?

Everybody hype that shit up and it failed :(.

J O 12 D
01-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Halo 3 was way overrated. I thought it was a shit game but easy for gamerscore so I whored it then sold it.

Spartan EXR
01-02-2008, 03:33 PM
I like the Halo series but I played CoD 4 in a friends house and I didn't like it.

AlphaXGamerXDad
01-02-2008, 04:07 PM
You can't call a game over-hyped when it had more pre-orders than most games lifetime sales then goes on to sell 37 gazillion billion trillion copies in it's first week. You may have an argument for it being overrated since even I can admit the Halo name itself was what most critics seemed to use to gauge its score. Someone argued that they always see used copies and the store might refuse future trade-ins. That's logical since only about 1% of 360 owners didn't already buy it new. The only new sales to make for the game are going to be new system owners and they'll probably buy it new since you only save $5 buying used.(how many "news" did i just type?) My actual vote for the poll is a write-in: anything Zelda. I've bought and played them all with each one being heralded as the second coming of Christ. They have all been good but it's literally the same damn story over and over and over again. Twilight Princess was finally my breaking point. Nintendo, you had better start letting your beloved IP's grow up a little bit and evolve or you'll always be a childrens toy maker. Let go of the past, your fan base will follow.

J O 12 D
01-02-2008, 04:10 PM
You can't call a game over-hyped when it had more pre-orders than most games lifetime sales then goes on to sell 37 gazillion billion trillion copies in it's first week. You may have an argument for it being overrated since even I can admit the Halo name itself was what most critics seemed to use to gauge its score. Someone argued that they always see used copies and the store might refuse future trade-ins. That's logical since only about 1% of 360 owners didn't already buy it new. The only new sales to make for the game are going to be new system owners and they'll probably buy it new since you only save $5 buying used.(how many "news" did i just type?) My actual vote for the poll is a write-in: anything Zelda. I've bought and played them all with each one being heralded as the second coming of Christ. They have all been good but it's literally the same damn story over and over and over again. Twilight Princess was finally my breaking point. Nintendo, you had better start letting your beloved IP's grow up a little bit and evolve or you'll always be a childrens toy maker. Let go of the past, your fan base will follow.

Actually just reading the first sentence that is exactly why I can say it was overrated.
It had a huge amount of pre orders yet Call of Duty 4 is still more played than it?

Bloodwolf
01-03-2008, 12:53 AM
CoD4 - It's good, but nowhere near all the awards it won etc:eek:

Bk Dragon
01-03-2008, 07:01 AM
HALO Series.

AlphaXGamerXDad
01-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Actually just reading the first sentence that is exactly why I can say it was overrated.
It had a huge amount of pre orders yet Call of Duty 4 is still more played than it?
Are you actually surprised the newer game is currently more popular? Does that mean RS:Vegas, Gears, etc. are all overrated crap too? Let's revisit this thread in a month or two and I will let you ask forgiveness properly:ass:eek:

antnie
01-03-2008, 07:33 AM
i would say COD 4.

Agent Earl
01-04-2008, 02:03 AM
halo is so overated omg its fun for a little bit at the start then it just got LAME

so many way better games out there

oO Hippie Oo
02-29-2008, 01:37 AM
I love that other people think halo is overrated but I do think Gears should be on there... it gets a lot of hype to be such a horrible game

odysseus123
02-29-2008, 02:52 AM
I love that other people think halo is overrated but I do think Gears should be on there... it gets a lot of hype to be such a horrible game

HAhahahah I think it WILL become the next overrted game :eek: