PDA

View Full Version : Major Nelson Comments on Xbox One Features | Snap Info | Playing 2 Games at Once

iBuzz7S
08-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Holy hell. The smile on my face as I read through this, then saw a post from Albert Penello and grabbed the CC and pre-ordered from the dashboard. My next-gen console is paid in full and I can't wait!

1 – Xbox Live Multiplayer on Xbox One

You’ve told us that Xbox Live is the best service for online multiplayer gaming, and we’re continuing that tradition on Xbox One, where we’ve made the multiplayer experience the way we all want it: smart, quick and intuitive. What makes Xbox Live revolutionary on Xbox One? It’s the power. We’re investing in more than 300,000 servers to supercharge Xbox Live. With a wealth of new features and the stable service you need, Xbox Live on Xbox One offers you THE multiplayer experience to game with all of your friends.

http://news.xbox.com/~/media/Images/Media%20Assets/Press%20Kits/E3%20Press%20Kit/Xbox%20One%20UI/Smart%20Match/SmartMatch_Toast_Forza_APPROVED.jpg

2 – Better Matchmaking

Earlier this summer, I talked with Micheal Dunn, Program Manager on Xbox Live Services, about the new Xbox One matchmaking system called Smart Match. The key here is that you no longer have to sit and wait for a game to match you with other players. With Smart Match on Xbox One, I can put in my match request, then switch over and catch up on the posts on Xbox One or watch TV or a movie. When a match is found, Xbox One tells me so I can re-enter the game instantly. Smart Match also matches you with players like yourself, making your multiplayer gaming even more tailored to your game style.

http://news.xbox.com/~/media/Images/Media%20Assets/Xbox%20One/20130801%20XCL%20and%20Enforcement/Enforcement%20United%20Screen.PNG

3 – Enhanced Reputation and Enforcement

The Enforcement United program will complement Smart Match’s new reputation system on Xbox One. We’ve updated our proprietary algorithms for monitoring gaming behavior on Xbox Live, expanded scoring elements, engaged our enforcement team and created requirements for games to take reputation into account. The new reputation system is built on a model that accounts for how you behave and whether you positively or negatively affect others. As long as other players or the games you play are not negatively reporting you or your actions, you’ll maintain a positive reputation. Ways to weaken your reputation, for example, would be to join a competitive, veteran area and try to disrupt games, or join a casual play area and be a griefer.

We’ve also worked hard to ensure this new system can’t be manipulated by groups of griefers. Our goal is to create a safe and fun place for gamers without BS from trolls and spammers. Casual gamers might not even notice that this new reputation system is in place, but trust me, serious online gamers will be glad it is.

4 – New Achievements System

Achievements have always added that extra layer of accomplishment, challenge and reward for Xbox Live members, and we’re excited to continue that tradition on Xbox One. We’ve introduced a new kind of Achievement called a Challenge, where players and friends can work to accomplish time-based objectives resulting in winning cool free stuff. Developers can also now continue to grow and expand their achievements over time, so you have more opportunities to build up your score without being limited to the achievements on the disk. Don’t forget, your Gamerscore will also carry over from Xbox 360.

http://news.xbox.com/~/media/Images/Media%20Assets/Press%20Kits/E3%20Press%20Kit/Xbox%20One%20UI/Upload/Project_Upload_APPROVED.jpg

5 – Game DVR, Upload

With Game DVR and Upload Studio, you can create and add epic video clips to share with your Xbox Live friends. With Xbox Live on Xbox One, you now have new ways to record, edit, share and broadcast the best moments from your games. Game DVR lets you record your favorite highlights. You can then use Upload Studio to customize and show off your big victories, including adding your own voiceovers by using Kinect. You’ll have a number of custom skins to choose from to make your clip stand out even more and you’ll have slow motion and other editing tools. It’s your own editing bay for the documentary of your gaming life.

Source of all that above: http://news.xbox.com/2013/08/xbox-one-why-im-excited

If that doesn't make you excited for the console, then maybe what's below will.

From my understanding, the snap feature wasn't possible with some things due to restrictions. Looks like that is no longer an issue. Kinda.

Soon, we’re going to start showing more of these features working on the box vs. just talking about it.

Some of the things that are being said, like “watching TV while waiting for a match” may not make sense in the construct of how systems work today.

But when you guys actually start seeing how the multiple-OS system works with Xbox One, how these features will change the way you use the system – I really think you will start to appreciate what we’ve been talking about. Our examples haven’t always been great. And it’s all fluff until you guys get to use it, I get that.

Things that take multiple button presses, menus, dashboards – will be nearly instant on the new box. And you can have two things running at the same time (actually, you can have MORE than two things running) – like a AAA game and another application, you’ll be able to have them running both at the same time, on the same screen, with no performance hit. Game + Netfix. Game + YouTube. Game + IE. Game + Chat. Game + Something new that has yet to be invented. Netflix + TV, Skype + Netflix… there are so many possibilities.

The concept of “saving a game” is going to be gone. Anyone ever been playing a game, and wanted to quickly do something else, just for a few minutes?. Watch a TV program with the SO? Check out a video on YouTube? Sure, you totally could pause the game and use your phone, we get that. But that’s because on the TV, that process has a bunch of steps and a takes a bunch of time – launch, load save game, play game, exit game to dashboard, launch new app, wait for app to start, exit out... you get the picture.

Now, you can do it INSTANTLY. Pause the game and snap another application on the side of the screen. Do what you want, unpause and the game picks right up.

It’s really going to be amazing, I think. Hope you guys will agree. Not bad, is it? Well, dig this...

Originally Posted by Garjon
Thanks for posting, but to clarify something posted earlier, is it possible to play/suspend two different games at the same time to enable instant game-switching? It'd make this matchmaking system pretty nifty.
If the games were purchased digitally, yes you can. Obviously, when we went back to discs this is something you loose because you need to go insert the disc.

There are still some details to be worked out that may be game specific.

So there are some details still TBD. But the intent of how we built the system was to do exactly that.You can snap BETWEEN games if digital purchases. Basically what you can do with your smartphone, but on your Xbox One.

But wait, there's more!

Originally Posted by soul creator
I'm actually curious about how "save states" end up working out in practice on the Xbox One. Obviously, I don't expect to instantly switch between a ton of games or whatever with 0 loading times, but I could potentially see switching between 4 games without having to do the full "boot-up, watch 5 legal and logo screens, watch the intro cutscene that hides some caching, and then finally get the menu". Maybe the most recent suspended game is instant, while the other 3 would take 5-10 seconds?
Expect something like this. Again (this is not trying to be an excuse) different games will handle this differently. But you have a good grasp of the experience we're hoping to achieve.

Game-to-Game switching will be fast. Must faster then today.

Game-to-Application switching/snapping will be nearly instant. And you can use your voice to do it, so you don't even have to pick up a controller. Another reason why Kinect will be used a lot more this time. Awesome, isn't it?

Originally Posted by Wizman23
I doubt I can get an answer but can TV and a game run at the same time on 1 screen? Watching a live sporting event while gaming at the same time sounds like heaven.
Here's your answer: You sure can. Saw a demo of it running recently. Full gameplay, with an HD TV stream snapped to the side. SHIBBY!

This is the same stuff they have been bashing the iPad over on their advertising of the Surface tablets. Multi-tasking is going to be a huge thing with the Xbox One.

Man, I am pumped. Gamescom coming soon, PAX straight after, then a lot of other gaming events until November. Oh, us Aussies get EB Expo and the console will be playable!

Quotes taken from GAF - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=641835

Hudson888
08-02-2013, 11:07 AM
This all sounds really good.

I really like the idea of being able to snap other applications whilst playing games.

So many times have I been watching youtube videos on my phone, for help with collectables, having to pause the game, watch a bit of video, go back to the game, do what I watched, then go back to watching the video.
Having that video running alongside the game, will be really useful.

I was already going to get the Xbox one, but this just helps cement it in.

Also Kudos on the nice post! nice and neat, and very readable!

darth nerdius
08-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Good read but this basically is just condensed info thats in a dozen other threads.

DarkReign2021
08-02-2013, 12:07 PM
This pretty much confirms my question. I knew we could snap things like Skype into the corner while playing games or watching a movie, but I wasn't certain if they were going to allow us snap things like Netflix while playing a game. So now if I'm achievement boosting or grinding something repetitive, I can have Netflix or Hulu in the corner watching something interesting while I wait :D Or like Hudson pointed out, snap a Youtube video or the X360A website so we can have our achievement guides next to us while we complete our game. Whoo!

Veedrock
08-02-2013, 12:14 PM
I knew I shouldn't have settled for less than a 90" TV.

crimzontearz
08-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Awesome news. I am loving this

And not just Netflix but HBO go or any other premium channel app

Awzum

DOOKH8R
08-02-2013, 12:54 PM
But what if I don't want to play with players like me? :confused:

lifeexpectancy
08-02-2013, 02:06 PM
3 – Enhanced Reputation and Enforcement

As long as other players or the games you play are not negatively reporting you or your actions, you’ll maintain a positive reputation. Ways to weaken your reputation, for example, would be to join a competitive, veteran area and try to disrupt games, or join a casual play area and be a griefer.

We’ve also worked hard to ensure this new system can’t be manipulated by groups of griefers.

Sorry but this worries me. We all know that when you do better than another player online, they quite often take out their frustration by giving you negative rep. Just because some sort of algorithm is in place to prevent "groups of griefers" from all giving you negative feedback, that won't affect the one or two guys you outplay in a game from giving you negative feedback, and that builds up rather quickly. Basically, if you're good you get negative feedback, even if you say nothing, grief no one, teabag no one, team kill no one, etc. Such a system is doomed to fail because people are rarely honest about the opponent's sportsmanship after they've lost the match.

Burnout x360a
08-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Lots of pretty cool stuff in here, good read.

I knew I shouldn't have settled for less than a 90" TV.

Should have gone for 100".

xhunterrrr
08-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Sorry but this worries me. We all know that when you do better than another player online, they quite often take out their frustration by giving you negative rep. Just because some sort of algorithm is in place to prevent "groups of griefers" from all giving you negative feedback, that won't affect the one or two guys you outplay in a game from giving you negative feedback, and that builds up rather quickly. Basically, if you're good you get negative feedback, even if you say nothing, grief no one, teabag no one, team kill no one, etc. Such a system is doomed to fail because people are rarely honest about the opponent's sportsmanship after they've lost the match.

If you read the Reputation and Smart Match thread, I've posted a TON of info that outlines the system and how it prevents abuse. Basically, as long as there is a tiny fraction of players that are worse people than you, you won't end up in the "Avoid Me" section.

My fiancée just had her mind blown by the TV+Game feature since we just got cable. Now she is definitely on board with me getting an Xbox One. Hooray!

Ceris
08-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Loving it! The multi-tasking is the best part, having that youtube video on the side of the screen will help so much for stuff. And IE for people who don't have computers in their Xbox rooms. like me :dance:

Definitely something I worry about. I mean, I have so much trash talk feedback on my account but I've talked in gamechat like 5 times... ever...

Spazaz Man
08-02-2013, 02:38 PM
lots of really neat features. I don't really see myself utilizing too many of them, but i can see how a lot of people would use them and enjoy them throughly. Joining this forum is slowly starting to change my views on the xbox one :dance:

EMT644
08-02-2013, 06:03 PM
I think this is just the beginning too... imagine what the X1 will be able to do after a year or two.

One thing I would love to see implemented is split audio, i.e. the ability for me to get my game audio through a TB headset or something while the TV/video/netflix audio comes through the TV

On a completely unrelated note... I paid off my X1 and 5 launch games yesterday...WOOT. Now just to wait.

Blind x360a
08-02-2013, 06:09 PM
One thing I would love to see implemented is split audio, i.e. the ability for me to get my game audio through a TB headset or something while the TV/video/netflix audio comes through the TV

This would be perfect. My girlfriend can watch whatever she wants on Netflix and I can still play gears, or madden or whatever I choose.

Barad
08-02-2013, 11:52 PM
Everything seems to be looking up thankfully, really excited for the challenges as part of the new achievement system too!