PDA

View Full Version : What do you prefer: single player or multiplayer?

gatorbait
01-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Something I've always wondered where people stand nowadays. I personally enjoy a great single player over the multiplayer aspect any day. I think it's amazing especially in this generation how cinematic games have become and to be right in the middle of the action and story is amazing. I love getting to cutscenes in games because of how great they are in a lot of games and it's an awesome feeling when you've put 10s of hours into a game and the final result was all because of you.

Very interested to hear what the rest of you are into more.

HoodMod
01-03-2008, 09:30 AM
I tend to like playing MP in games, but it can depend. I really like it every once in a while when you can complete a game without online like Assassin's Creed.

Gun-Nut
01-03-2008, 09:51 AM
I love both! but co-op beats both since most of the time it is both :)

AlexUplinked
01-03-2008, 01:14 PM
I really do prefer MP. But there are those times, when I'm just a bit tired of hearing high-pitched whiny kids, and like to play by myself - at my own pace.

[Alex]

ever31
01-03-2008, 01:37 PM
i like campaigns, but my favourite is co-op games, i quite often play through a game with a friend or my brother

J O 12 D
01-03-2008, 01:53 PM
I voted for Multiplayer because I love a good online game with friends and my favourite part of a game is a cooperative aspect which is online/multiplayer but don't get me wrong I love singleplayer aswell especially when something good comes about like Bioshock or Assassins Creed because I sometimes find Multiplayer to be repetitive so SP adds a little variety into the mix.

kornfan2007
01-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Single player for console games. PC games are where multiplayer works best. I only usually play FPS games online which is why I use the PC

oneandonlytommo
01-03-2008, 02:10 PM
single player is the best

duncanrun
01-03-2008, 02:25 PM
I really enjoy both. I like games with co-op the most because it has both options. I enjoy playing multi-player with a lot of college friends who have moved across the country its a good way to keep playing with each other. There are definitely some days where I really enjoy a good single player game though.

thecrazyguy
01-03-2008, 03:18 PM
I really prefer Single Player. I'm just not that into multiplayer. I like more to just enjoy a good game on my own. Nice when games like Bioshock, or Assassins Creed come along, just a good single player experience.

Thats not to say I hate Multiplayer tho, when it's done good, take Call of Duty 4 for example, I don't mind the occasional MP match.

SegaSaturnSNK
01-03-2008, 03:22 PM
I prefer both so I won't be voting. Good day.

Terrodar
01-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Yeah,I love both. Depends what kind of game it is too! I mean,Mass Effect can only be played Single Player yet is a fantastic and immersive experience,whereas something like CoD 4 has a decent single player and great Multi.

gravest_jimmy
01-03-2008, 03:25 PM
single player, but multiplayer's good when it's not live, easy to do and fun, no loading times waiting for mathces etc... though multplayer live does have its moments

M85A21
01-03-2008, 03:27 PM
A hard question, I think I prefer sibgle Player games, but I also enjoy Multiplayer games that will actually last online, such as CoD and GoW.
But with some of the games out now, achievements in them are hard to get if they are online, like most sports games etc as no-one plays them anymore.

gatorbait
01-03-2008, 04:34 PM
I prefer both so I won't be voting. Good day.

I was debating on putting an option for both but I really wanted to see which one most people enjoy overall. If I put both I'm sure plenty would have selected that but with putting only those two options I'm seeing some people pick which one they prefer just a bit over the other. It's very cool hearing what all of you are saying.

Armstrong x360a
01-03-2008, 07:02 PM
I grew up on single player games, and have always been drawn in by a good storyline. I still like a good storyline, but these days I find myself going for the unscripted action of MP more and more. Eh, times change.

Nj RZA
01-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Yea I voted multiplayer because I love a good game where I can play with all my friends all the time.

o0EVIL0o x360a
01-03-2008, 08:34 PM
I voted single player cause I generally suck at MP games but I can always master a single player game with a little practice. Then off to the next game!!

Moodath
01-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Multiplayer. But only if i have a friend to play with, sometimes i just can't stand playing with random people.

Xterm1n8or
01-03-2008, 09:10 PM
I like single player and i like multiplayer just as much, therefore if a game has co op campaign, i am very happy as i like campaign and multiplayer equally, and besides, what's better than completing a game with your friends?

So for me they are both equal.

narcolepticshee
01-03-2008, 09:11 PM
i prefer single player games but i play multi-player games more so i opted for multi

Derrick DS
01-03-2008, 09:27 PM
I typically buy games for single player, and multiplayer is an afterthought. I mean, I play multiplayer on live quite a bit, but when a new single player game comes out that I'm interested in, don't bother sending invites to me. :P

cruel jules
01-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Singleplayer for me, as I generally suck at multiplayer games. However, CoD4 multiplayer is starting to change my mind.

Tubson57
01-03-2008, 09:45 PM
This one is a tough choice but i have to say that i have a soft spot for a good storyline in a single player campaign.
________
Venture (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_Venture)

Agent Earl
01-04-2008, 02:06 AM
i like both a lot, i like single player bc achievements, story, etc
but i like multiplyer bc i can play with friends and sometimes theres achievements too

AlphaDog Deluxe
01-04-2008, 07:38 AM
Achievements are generally given mostly to the single player. So single player it is.
I really oughta take that "no longer achievement whoring" bullshit out of my sig.

Oldeez
01-04-2008, 08:23 AM
um its impossible to decide but multiplayer is longer lasting and never teh same

artvandel4y
01-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Multiplayer is more frequently half assed. After seeing Halo 3 and CoD 4, most developers just mail it in. Or EA tells them to. Single player averages out to being better though. And it made me realize all my friends with xbox live sucked
Also you get no plot whatsoever in multiplayer, and when you contrast that with Mass Effect or Bioshock, the whole games as storytelling aspect tips the scales.

spitefac3
08-10-2008, 06:12 AM
multiplayer for games i want to buy, and single player for rentals.

What The Buck?
08-10-2008, 06:33 AM
Single Player.

When i first got my 360, it would of been multi-player. I was like " Woah!! IM PLAYING AGAINST REAL PEOPLE, REAL!! PEOPLE!!! ALL OVER THE WORLD!"

But the novelty wears off after hearing N bombs and F bombs in every single game you join...

xENVxGAMERSKREW
08-10-2008, 08:03 AM
mp because sp gets boring and dull after a while for me mp theres always something different, wont expect the samething everytime.

Female Ninja
08-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Single player, because people on multiplayer piss me off...

Randomnutta
08-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Single player because im anti social and some people scare me

Artamus
08-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Singplayer, since XBL is full of dickheads ( actually i haven't seen the whole XBL, GTA4 online just pisses me so off ).

exo-apollo
08-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Nothing beats a good singleplayer story.

LOCKDOWN123
08-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Multiplayer all the way!

Randomnutta
08-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Nothing beats a good singleplayer story.
Yeah a great story FTW!

Phil the Bear
08-10-2008, 01:14 PM
100% Single Player.

Sometimes I wonder why this is when I know lots of people who do not even play the single player campaigns in games. I know atleast 2 people who have about 20 to 50 points on COD4 because they actually do not see the point of playing the 1 player campaign. Same applies to Halo 3.

Maybe it is because I grew up playing single player games and gaming was more of a single player pursuit (especially console gaming). I played COD 4 to completion on Veteran multiple times and stopped playing the Multiplayer when I got to level 20 something.

Multiplayer for me is a little bit of a sideshow to the main point of buying the game. I so wish I had not bothered buying Frontlines! The 1 player game is awful and I was the annoying guy who shot one person and then never fired another shot to get an achievement and hid at the back of the map! (Apologies to everyone - I know how annoying that must have been!)
On a side note - Any multiplayer that has ZERO cheevs is much more fun - because you do not get people like me ruining it by hunting for cheevs and you can play the game without having in the back of your mind, "if I get just one more headshot or if I keep using this gun!"

Convercide
08-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Single Player.
But the novelty wears off after hearing N bombs and F bombs in every single game you join...

Yeah, what is the deal with that? I think some people think they can say what they like on XBox Live. Some people get their kicks from being racist or just crass. It's completely wrong.

Sometimes I feel filing a complaint does nothing though.

I only play with a headset in when my friends are there. Other times it's out.

Funnily enough, the best people seem to play GRAW 2 in my experience. Most people get on really well in the games I've played. If I hear some decent people through my speakers, I'll then plug my headset in.

vI Starlight Iv
08-10-2008, 01:50 PM
single player i get frustrated by mp to quickly ecspecially if its unsporting i.e spamming on soul calibur

kentarulez
08-10-2008, 01:59 PM
It depends on the game, my mood and who I'm playing with, but overall, I'm gonna say single player.

plumbpist
08-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Single player! I dont like scheduling my game time around when other people will or will not be playing, and then having to listen to them sing. Or whine. Or quit anytime im winning. MP has its place, but for the most part its not for me...

EvilestBean
08-10-2008, 02:36 PM
I chose multiplayer, BUT i love both if there was an option for both then i would of chose that, I like the multiplayer games like BF : BC and Gears Of War, but like one guy said in this thread, there is a point were you just wanna play a single player game in peace lol.

laundryman
08-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Sinlge-Player.

Games like Half-life and Oblivion just suck me in.

Multiplayer can be a real downer sometimes due to the large amount5 of tools.

ColossalKiller7
08-10-2008, 03:46 PM
I really don't think that you can choose. Every game should have a good balance of both. If there was no combination of MP and SP in games then half of the games wouldn't be bought. Could you imagine if CoD4 didn't have multiplayer or if Gears didn't have a campaign.

M85A21
08-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Signle Player everything EXCEPT for games like Soul Calibur, it has made me rethink my views on local multiplayer but still nothing has rekindled my love for online.

Figgsy91
08-10-2008, 04:22 PM
It all depends on the game. I mean, Battlefield Bad Company has a better single player tha multiplayer and Devil May Cry 4 is great. But the Halo 3 has better online but Just Cause is terrible. So for me , Single player is just above, but it depends on the game really.

RuggersAssassin
08-10-2008, 07:23 PM
It really depends on the game. Like halo 3's campaign I will play over and over again with my friends. The multiplayers also adds endless hours of fun to the games too. I have to go with multiplayer as in most games i will play multiplayer more than the story as there are few epic FPS story modes in my opinion.

o0 TommyGuns 0o
08-10-2008, 07:32 PM
i like to play single player if i just rent the game but if i buy the game i want it to have good multiplayer also

Parkerktm
08-10-2008, 08:46 PM
It really depends, i love playing COD4 and RSV2 MP but theres nothing like just relaxing by yourself playing a good SP game.

So i'd say it's 50/50.

OldWIKI TIK
08-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Kinda depends on the game for me, take for instance civ revolution. After playing on Diety difficulty so much now, I kind of expect multiplayer to be dull, we will see. Rock Band, on the other hand, gets rather boring rather quickly when you have nobody else to play with locally, so in that case, I much prefer multiplayer. Shooters, I just love to play multiplayer though, it is from my socom days.:p

Ryan2099
08-10-2008, 09:12 PM
I don't like having to rely on others to unlock achievements.

Thunderbolton
08-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Multiplayer because you can have a great time with your mates as well

Bloody_Hitman666
08-12-2008, 02:54 AM
id say multiplayer but singleplayer is always fun but if i play singleplayer i usually go into privite chat with one of my friends. and sometimes singleplayer is funner than multiplayer like gta 4 is kinda fun singleplayer and multiplayer...multiplayer you can do stuff with your friend but in single player you can call ppl on your cell like packie for the bomb and have fun with that

BudzMcGee
08-12-2008, 05:10 AM
Typically I judge a game based on the single player. Which is why I can barely stand COD4, even though it was my first 1000. I really like co-op though, and beating halo 3 with a friend on legendary was a lot of fun, where-as doing it in single player would of been more frustrating.

I view multiplayer as being a bonus to a good single player game, making the life of the game a bit longer if good.

Jiga.Puzzle.5
08-12-2008, 05:18 AM
Multiplayer because being ask if you know The Lord Jesus Christ has never been funnier.

FoxRacing1234
08-13-2008, 07:27 AM
For me, it depends completely on the game that I'm playing. I think I have more fun in multiplayer for Call of Duty than I did beating Veteran, due to the frustration level. Skate I only like single player. Every game is different to me.

Lordvader178
08-13-2008, 08:36 AM
I prefer single player games, because it gives me a chance to value the game without obnoxious people yelling at me that i'm cheating, or that i'm shit. I honestly hate most multiplayer, unless it's something like COD4, or GH3.

liquidremedy
08-13-2008, 09:45 AM
i prefer mp due to the fact most games only take 6 hours max to complete and the endins are always crap. i havent a decent ending to a game for like 4 years. so mp last how ever long till u get bored

Royle
08-13-2008, 02:02 PM
It depends like BioShock was a great example of a single player game but then you get online games like Call of Duty which just blows it out of the water. I would buy a game if the online community is still big, but if no one plays online I wouldn't buy it.

Crimson Ridley
08-13-2008, 02:52 PM
I voted single player cause I generally suck at MP games but I can always master a single player game with a little practice. Then off to the next game!!

Took the words right out of my mouth! I love Single Player and I think achievements are better in SP too because they are never really based on luck or having a good team behind you.

Ypuh
08-13-2008, 02:55 PM
I voted for singleplayer, just because there is no better multiplayer than Halo3's so I only play Halo3 online. Also the online achievements are mainly stupid. I dont feel like playing EVERY game online to the max.

BAD BLOOD BIGGY
08-14-2008, 05:32 AM
I chose single player mainly becuase you get great story lines and great action.

master_shake_350
08-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Multiplayer. Its fun to interact with people.

Gerror
08-14-2008, 07:13 PM
I think it depends on the game. Because some concentrate on the single player then throw in Multiplayer for the hell of it and its usually crap (stranglehold) Then some put all their effort into multiplayer and not single (frontlines). But IMO I like a good old fashioned single player.

Deadly14u
08-16-2008, 06:29 AM
Honestly, it depends on what game, but I prefer multi-player overall