PDA

View Full Version : Do you try???

liontamer
01-05-2008, 04:07 AM
Simple question.

Do you try to get the achievement first, get frustrated then ask for "help." Or do you just ask for help without any effort?

DoM cAbAn
01-05-2008, 04:09 AM
If it's an Achievement that I can miss during the story mode, then I'll look for how to get it before I play the game. If not, I'll usually get help after I try myself.

KINGxSAINT
01-05-2008, 04:11 AM
i try myself

vhayste
01-05-2008, 04:14 AM
As long as I can get the achievements along the way, I'll get it. Otherwise, I won't really sacrifice the enjoyment of the game just to get the achievement.

Shutup23
01-05-2008, 04:19 AM
Only women ask for help for achievements. JK sometimes I ask for help.

then when I get it i dance...:woop:

RichMac
01-05-2008, 04:26 AM
Usually I take a look at the achievement list as I'm starting a game, then after trying for a while I'll check guides for quick ideas on ones I'm having major difficulty with.

If it's a game I'm hating, then I'll simply follow a guide to the T.

Echoes248
01-05-2008, 07:58 AM
i usually try to play through a game once and whatever unlocks unlocks. then i start going for the points..alot of the time i need to look up the secret achievements cuz..well they are secret

HoodMod
01-05-2008, 08:02 AM
Usually just check the guide before I play, especially on story-heavy games or ones that aren't obvious.

Bax x360a
01-05-2008, 05:11 PM
I pretty much always check on how to obtain the achievements before I begin playing the game so i know the easiest and quickest ways, and also ensure that i'm not going to miss any achievements or run into any hidden glitches that could stop me unlocking them.

AlexUplinked
01-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Yeah I always try to. It gives you that sense of acomplishment.

[Alex]

Vogey77
01-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Always go for the achievement on my own first then if I am really struggling and need help I usually ask my brother or friends.

Otisbum
01-05-2008, 07:26 PM
I play through the game as I normally would without worrying about achievements, then go back and nail them.

Zef
01-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Depends on the achievement. Ranked online matches and collecting achievements are instant help ones for me. I can't be arsed with trying in online ranked matches so I'll boost them, and I'm not playing through a game four times to find the last mystical golden loaf of fairy superdandiness that was hidden behind a giraffalope archer in level sixteen that you have to double jump then crouch to get before throwing the greasy stone you steal from Aunty Clarisse in the previous level.

Everything else is worth getting randomly, I'll usually have a glimpse at the achievement list and a guide to see where things unlock so I can get as much in one playthrough without going too wild. Things like Mass Effect where you will undoubtedly play more than once mean you can just play it properly the first time and then go for achievements afterwards, but it is always satisfying to get some along the way.

gatorbait
01-05-2008, 08:08 PM
I do check the achievement guides just so I can make sure I can make the most out of my first playthrough. Why spend 3+ playthroughs when you can get it in one or two. A lot of games the achievements will either come to you or are simple ones that you'll notice specifically what you need to do. If they require me to play hours upon hours just to obtain the last few then I will likely pass. Achievements are meant to be fun and when some become tedious I'll just move on to the next game.

Adam Miller
01-05-2008, 10:15 PM
If it's an Achievement that I can miss during the story mode, then I'll look for how to get it before I play the game. If not, I'll usually get help after I try myself.

Same here. Ill do whati can or if its something specific like kill blah blah with this i might look to see where the best place to do it is.

nekobun
01-06-2008, 02:27 AM
I'll read the list when I first pop a game in, and end up hitting the guides for clarifications on ones that don't make sense or are cryptic to the point I can't figure them out.

Steve50013
01-06-2008, 02:33 AM
When I first pop in the game i read all of the achievements and I attempt each one that give you a know how about it. If its a secret or I don't get in the first play through then I'll look here on x360a.

liontamer
01-06-2008, 05:12 AM
I can't be arsed with trying in online ranked matches so I'll boost them, and I'm not playing through a game four times to find the last mystical golden loaf of fairy superdandiness that was hidden behind a giraffalope archer in level sixteen that you have to double jump then crouch to get before throwing the greasy stone you steal from Aunty Clarisse in the previous level.

Haha... very nicely put!

I do try, some of the ones, like described above, I get help.

synister EFFECT
01-06-2008, 06:19 AM
I try by myself 1st unless its a coop achievement:p

xBoricua Killax
01-06-2008, 07:01 AM
I always do most by myself... but I do loook at the achievement list first... so I know what will work best...

I only boost if IM getting mad at the game that i can not get it...

Chojin
01-06-2008, 01:25 PM
i'll turn to this site a lot before i buy a game just to get a look at what the achievements are and how doable they are.

so i'll already have an idea on how to get them before the game arrives.

B Rad8908
01-06-2008, 07:27 PM
The only achievements I don't really try to get on my own at first, is most online multiplayer achievements. Anything related to single player I will almost always get by myself.

LethalRope
01-06-2008, 08:13 PM
I'll take a quick peep before a buy a game but i try not to make the achievements sell me a game. When i have the game i'll look into the ones i cannot get while playing the campaign or everyone will get. I've never boosted but i've tried to on halo and know one else met in the middle instead they just killed me, now i've got most of the online ones i just go along with the boosters and get my revenge :).

puckup
01-06-2008, 08:15 PM
i always try to get the achievment before asking

Royle
01-06-2008, 08:19 PM
If it's something like complete level 1 I will get on my own but if it collect cog tags I will use a guide =]

Cyrex
01-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Frankly i am going to have to agree completely with Fibble. It really depends of on the achievement. i am not going to try to find all the hidden items on my own because i am going to miss them. I try to read the achievement guide for certain games and then go through the game

Tatanko
01-06-2008, 11:38 PM
I don't typically go for achievements right away. I play through and have fun, being cautious and trying not to miss anything. Then I play through again if I missed anything, asking for help when needed.

antnie
01-07-2008, 04:30 AM
i try myself most of the time.

JohnTheGamer
01-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Frankly i am going to have to agree completely with Fibble. It really depends of on the achievement. i am not going to try to find all the hidden items on my own because i am going to miss them. I try to read the achievement guide for certain games and then go through the game

Same here. I usually go through the game first and then go back a second time to get everything I missed and use a guide then.

K7 Plant K7
01-07-2008, 08:52 PM
I try by myself most of the time, but if it's too difficult, I do it with a mate.

Dekkenarr
01-20-2008, 06:19 PM
I first go to the games achievement list and look through it and sometimes I will look at the guide, but I try to play the game without any help and if I get stuck I go and look around on it's forum.

Gebadire
01-20-2008, 09:29 PM
I always try and do them myself, but ask as a last resort...

Laufton_13
01-20-2008, 11:27 PM
Sometimes, if it's an achievement for finding x amount of hidden packages I don't even bother I just get a guide but if it's for beating a game on hard I never use a guide.

M to the C
01-21-2008, 12:29 AM
I dont think about the achievs before I beat the game atleast once, as some times they can ruin the story and I dont want to ruin the fun of the game. I like getting the achievments, I enjoy it but I want to play the game normally first.

Asian47
01-21-2008, 01:11 AM
I look through the guide, and see if there's an achievement that I can miss. If so I just make a mental note.

If it's a find blah blah at blah, I'm gonna pull up a guide, because my searching skills aren't the good.

For multiplayer, I usually go for all the achievements on my own, unless it's impossible. Then I go and boost. :drunk

austin rules
01-21-2008, 02:30 AM
this is what i do:
first i just play through the entire game. then when i am done i look at all the acheivements and go back and do all the easy ones. once i have only the hard ones left, i go to this site

RogueVasion
01-21-2008, 04:35 AM
I try to do the best I can myself. If not, I will ask for help. No sucess if you ask for help.

Matrarch
01-21-2008, 05:23 AM
I don't ask for help. I like achievements and do my best to get them, but I like to know my gamerscore is totally mine. :)

Siege Is Like
01-21-2008, 05:34 AM
i've yet to boost in gears of war which makes me quite proud considering i've earned roughly 7000 kills and the weapon achievements. even for the pistol and hammer of dawn i dont intend to request boosting help....

the only game i really "boosted" in was the viral achievement in Blitz: The League.

Digilearner
01-21-2008, 05:54 AM
I said no, but I shouldn't have. I only look at achieves for sports games and random kiddy games for points. Games like COD4 and Mass Effect and Halo 3, I completed mostly on my own. Had some help in random places, but very little for the most part. I didn't even notice the sometimes choice -_-" Ah well. Depends on the game I guess.

Icelightin
01-21-2008, 06:23 AM
try first but then hit up the ol' ole x360a

Klister NL
01-21-2008, 06:01 PM
I hardly ever look for help, I'm not that much of a scorefreak

ToyzNTheHood
01-21-2008, 06:05 PM
I try myself then end up here if i get stuck. :P

XboxFreak36
01-21-2008, 06:28 PM
I always try it on my own first :)

knockton55
01-21-2008, 06:39 PM
It depends what type of achievement, if its like a collection achievement then no. But thats the only time i dont try myself first

Dragonfire 360
01-22-2008, 03:39 AM
Achievements aren't priority in games that honestly really interest me.

Then I go after achievements.

These games were Halo 3, COD 4, Guitar Hero 2 and 3, Rock Band, and Beautiful Katamari (off the top of my head).

Bullet2theface
01-22-2008, 03:47 AM
This is how it goes.

1. Put game in xbox 360
2. Go to x360a.org get all the info you can on the achievements.
3. Play the game while you keep running back and forth from x360a to the 360 :p

Grishnaar
01-22-2008, 05:51 AM
For me it totally depends on what the game is and why I'm playing it. If it's a game that I intend to buy and keep for a while, I'll try and get everything on my own. If it's a game that I rent or GF specifically for some points, I'll hit up the guide first and plan out the quickest route to 1000.

-Grishnaar

Kaner99999
02-01-2008, 11:46 PM
I usually try to get them myself first then if i cant get them after a long time i will ask someone for help!