PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy and other old school RPGs on XBLA.

JohnTheGamer
01-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Who else would like to see some old school RPGs on XBLA. I bought Final Fantasy on the PSP and I think it would be a good fit for the arcade, that and Dragon Warrior, among others.

I'm getting kind of tired seeing old arcade games being relased on XBLA, it'd be great to see some diversity. I wonder if Square Enix would do this considering SE cold reception to the 360 so far, FFXI, Project Sylpeed, and Infinite Undiscovery, not much else.

Zee
01-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Accck theres too many Squaresoft remakes. I mean how many do we need? I mean the first one has been remade about 5 times within 3 years.
I would like some more original XBLA games though. There is quite a few but no one seems to give them any credit. (OKX ,CC, BOB, AW, and GripShift to name a few.)

xRogue 5x
01-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Man i would love to see some of my old school favorites for the arcade. Playing the ffs and some dragon warrior on my big screen would rock.

MadMartign
01-07-2008, 10:39 AM
yes, it would be great to see some of those titles. It'd be tough though, cause you gotta factor in that sony and nintendo will probably take alot of those titles for their virtual consoles/arcades/whatever. and let me tell you... playing nintendo or super nintendo games on a big screen... it kinda hurts your eyes... because the games weren't formatted for widescreen or HD they look kinda weird and somewhat crappy.

Bax x360a
01-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Surely an RPG would be way to big to download to download as an arcade game? This is just a geuss but I would imagine a game the size of an RPG would take up around 500mb, and the biggest arcade game ive seen is Arkadian Warriors at around 100mb.

botafogo007
01-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Surely an RPG would be way to big to download to download as an arcade game? This is just a geuss but I would imagine a game the size of an RPG would take up around 500mb, and the biggest arcade game ive seen is Arkadian Warriors at around 100mb.

The older RPGs are pretty small. While this is something I'd absolutely love to see I think it's more likely to see those games on Nintendo's VC than XBLA. Also (I've said this before in other places)--I really wish they'd allow some developers to put more than 200 achievement points into a game. 200 is fine for Galaga and Pac-Man but imagine what they could do with Final Fantasy if they had 500 or so points to work with.

I'd love to play those old games on my living room TV, but for now I'll just have to be content with my 3 inch DS screen playing FF IV...sigh.

Matrarch
01-07-2008, 05:36 PM
As nice as it would be to see old FFs on the Arcade, I don't think it's going to happen. Square stated that they have no intention of rereleasing their old titles on Wii's Virtual Console, and I'm pretty sure that sentiment extends to the Arcade. Why should they get so little profit from the game when they can repackage it and get some idiot (Like myself... who will own FFIV on 4 consoles once the DS version drops) to pay full price for the game?

As for the size, yeah, old RPGs are small. FFIV was released on an 8Mb cart so the Rom would be well within the Arcade's limitations. They used to be able to do so much with so little back in the cartridge days. ;)

bulletman
01-07-2008, 06:19 PM
I would love any of the final fatasy games on xbox live arcade or any old school RPGs because there dosent seem to be that much in the way RPGs on it at the moment.

How big are PSP (memory wise) games because a RPG called Warriors Of The Lost Empire is being converted for XBOX live arcade and it sounds quite interseting.

knockton55
01-07-2008, 07:28 PM
yeah, i think this could work. but with final fantasy games i think we'd be seeing some larger download times etc etc...

botafogo007
01-07-2008, 07:42 PM
yeah, i think this could work. but with final fantasy games i think we'd be seeing some larger download times etc etc...

That might be the case with some of the later ones--pretty much everything released after Square jumped ship from Nintendo to Sony--but FFs 1-6 were all released on the NES/Famicom and Super NES/Super Famicom and had to fit within the size limitations of those systems. I would think even the PSX games would be feasible since Castlevania: SOTN was released and I think it was pretty good sized for a Playstation release.

As far as Square not releasing the games, that's pretty much been my concern from the beginning. Take Final Fantasy IV for instance--it was released on the Super NES originally, once on the original Playstation, on the GBA, and now an updated version of it is available on the DS. I'm sure it will come out on the PSP soon too, though I don't follow that system much. And unlike other companies that have had to bundle their games to rerelease them, many of Square's releases are just one game at a time and they STILL charge full price for them.

Okay, new idea then...release a Final Fantasy anthology for the 360 that includes 1 through 6, costs $60, and has 1000 achievement points. I'd buy that in a heartbeat--never gonna happen though :(

iskoot
01-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Okay, new idea then...release a Final Fantasy anthology for the 360 that includes 1 through 6, costs $60, and has 1000 achievement points. I'd buy that in a heartbeat--never gonna happen though :(
I would have a heartattack from excitement if this would happen!!! But yeah, definately need some older RPG like Breath of Fire and such.

JohnTheGamer
01-07-2008, 08:31 PM
That might be the case with some of the later ones--pretty much everything released after Square jumped ship from Nintendo to Sony--but FFs 1-6 were all released on the NES/Famicom and Super NES/Super Famicom and had to fit within the size limitations of those systems. I would think even the PSX games would be feasible since Castlevania: SOTN was released and I think it was pretty good sized for a Playstation release.

As far as Square not releasing the games, that's pretty much been my concern from the beginning. Take Final Fantasy IV for instance--it was released on the Super NES originally, once on the original Playstation, on the GBA, and now an updated version of it is available on the DS. I'm sure it will come out on the PSP soon too, though I don't follow that system much. And unlike other companies that have had to bundle their games to rerelease them, many of Square's releases are just one game at a time and they STILL charge full price for them.

I like your Final Fantasy anthology idea of a retail release, that would do it to. I aree with FF being over released though, but I only have a handful of FFs so I'm not that upset about it, I think I just want some more RPGs on the 360.

Oh and Matrarch I never heard about SE not releasing games on the Wii's VC, so yeah that means there wont be any for XBLA, but that leaves the idea open to other 3rd parties who own classic RPG licenses.

botafogo007
01-07-2008, 08:37 PM
I like your Final Fantasy anthology idea of a retail release, that would do it to. I aree with FF being over released though, but I only have a handful of FFs so I'm not that upset about it, I think I just want some more RPGs on the 360.

I can't imagine how many hours it would take to get the full 1k. Slightly OT, Puzzle Quest is a great game available on XBLA right now--it's an RPG mixed with a puzzle game.

Namaste
02-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Who else would like to see some old school RPGs on XBLA. I bought Final Fantasy on the PSP and I think it would be a good fit for the arcade, that and Dragon Warrior, among others

I doubt it. The closet thing that we'll see is a bunch of FF games packed into one game, like The Orange Box.