PDA

View Full Version : Nabi & Heyburts Guide to Gaming

Netnabi4
01-08-2008, 02:54 AM
Nabi & Heyburts Guide to Gaming

Basically Both Darth Heyburt and I decided in order to keep the “what game should I buy” threads down and to help everyone decide what to buy. I will edit as we complete each wave of games. They should come in big increments. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

All Pro Footbal 2K8
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Netnabi4/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image002.jpg

A long awaited return to the 2K football franchise that gave Madden a serious run for its money. The game sadly doesn’t even come close to its 2005 predecessor in many regards.

Playability – Madden has grown so much since 2K5 was out and it seems like this game was just stuck in the past. Virtually no big impact was made on gameplay and the entire game just doesn’t feel right.

Sound – The audio tracks in the game weren’t the best of choice but that’s more of a personal opinion whether you like that kind of music or not. The in game sound wasn’t bad but it feels like it could have been better.
Graphics – The graphics in game have become just as important as audio and this game doesn’t keep up the standard we have now. Most sport games have astounding graphics were these were okay at best.

Achievements – The achievements in this game were somewhat time consuming but it’s a relatively easy game for points, within a few days you could have 500 points.

Rent, Buy, or Pass – If your into sports and love football then this game is worth the spot on your gamefly Q. If your looking for achievements and don’t care about completion then the rent is good for a quick boost in points. Other than that the game isn’t stellar and so if your not a sports fan pass.

Tony Hawks American Wasteland
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Netnabi4/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image004.jpg

Tony Hawk has a very good franchise with the gaming crowd. Mostly everyone can have fun with these games and this game isn’t far off from the star power its former self once had.

Playability – It’s a TH game so it will be fun regardless of its flaws. There is a good amount of stuff to do in story mode and the classic mode really brings back memories. You could easily waste a few hours getting into this game.

Sound – Every Tony Hawk game has had an amazing soundtrack and this one really doesn’t fail. It may seem like an opinionated topic but the music just melds with the game so well it seems to add to its addictiveness.

Graphics – A tough category for a skating game. This was one of the first game out for the console and it could have showcased the 360’s talent but alas it disappoints and leaves the glory days of the ps2 untouched.

Achievements – Not a bad set of achievements mainly because you can obtain virtually all of them very easily. The game is good fun and so it wont be a chore to get these done.

Rent, Buy, or Pass – Well if you’re a TH fan and you haven’t picked this game up yet you might as well buy it. You can buy it very cheap especially used and so for the fun you can have its worth the money. For people looking to Achievement whore I would say rent it. Easily done inside a week and you won’t feel agony while playing.

Armoured Core 4
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Netnabi4/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image006.jpg

Here we have a well known franchise of the Mech-suit genre. Does it disappoint or will it hold up as a good game that stuns the masses?
Unfortunately it doesn’t.

Playability – We get into the game and while there are a million and a half customizable options you’ll have to play through a myriad of very mundane missions to do so. Gaining the cash needed really isn’t easy as the high ranks can be very difficult to obtain.

Sound – The sound effects In the game are decent and on par with most games but are by no means spectacular. They could have done a much better job with the overall presentation of the game but this hurts that a lot.

Graphics – The Graphics of your Mech and the way you customize it really is beautiful. Aside from that the atmosphere just dies and every level is very bland and boring. The detail around you just seems like its missing something.

Achievements – This game has an okay set of achievements. You can obtain most of them by playing through the campaign but it may get very boring and trivial at times.

Rent, Buy or Pass - While some parts of the game seem well done the overall sense is lackluster, leaving me to say pass. Unless you really love Mech suit games this one probably isn’t for you. As for you achievement whores out their you could spend your time on many other games and get just as many points in less time. At best a rent.

Assassins Creed
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Netnabi4/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image008.jpg

A brand new addition to the ubisoft family. It was very hyped and delivered tremendously. We all also know that Jade Raymond is hot, and no that wasn’t just to appease Minty xp.

Playability – Assassins Creed comes through with flying colors here. We have a great sense of surrounding and control of Altair(Main Character) and there is virtually endless fun to be had. You have to play for quite a while to get bored here. The only drawback was that there is no multiplayer.

Sound – This games sound doesn’t rival anything amazing but its little effects and ticks seem perfect. They add to the greatness of the game and you’ll get use to them very quickly, they never get tired.

Graphics – This is one of the best looking games of the year. Not only considering every part of your surrounding is part of the game but it all looks so beautiful. You also have the ability to change the camera during a cut scene which adds depth very nicely.

Achievements – Every other part of the game was great and achievements are no exception. You can get the majority of them on the first play through and you’ll have a great time doing it also. There are some collection achievements but its nothing to bad and the 1000 can be achieved inside a week.

Rent, Buy, or Pass – This game is really fun and will keep you busy for a while if you take your time. It can be beaten quickly and certainly is worth the rent. If you are looking for replayablity you won’t find much as the game doesn’t really change and there is no multiplayer. Final Verdict – Rent

Call of Duty 2
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Netnabi4/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image014.jpg

Call of Duty has become one of the most respected and greatest First Person Shooters of all time. This game solidifies that statement.

Playability – Anyone whose ever even liked a FPS before should play this game. It’s a very fun campaign and had amazing multiplayer during its prime.

Sound – Every tick, effect, and theme works to perfection and this game doesn’t disappoint one bit.

Graphics – At its time the graphics were some of the best you could find. They aren’t so bad today even and you get past it very easily.

Achievements – While they are bland the game is very fun and it is very possible to get the full 1000.

Rent, Buy or Pass – If you are going for achievements alone then I would say rent but If your looking for a cheap game that wont disappoint and you can gain some points in this game is worth the Buy.

Call of Duty 3
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Netnabi4/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image016.jpg

Call of Duty 3 was the insanely anticipated game following Call of Duty 2. While Cod3 wasn’t as groundbreaking or astounding as Cod2 it still doesn’t disappoint.

Playability – With some of the other game out during its time it is hard to see why you would chose this over them, but by no means does that make this a bad game. It just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Good gameplay and doesn’t disappoint terribly.

Sound – They were just like Cod2 and worked very well with the entire game. They didn’t change a thing and it works perfect that way.

Graphics – Pretty good and on par with its time but they could have been a little better. The environments just didn’t seem as great as cod2 had.

Achievements – They were much harder and more diverse than cod2 but they don’t disappoint. These achievements are how all games should be, a good amount of both single and multiplayer. They aren’t done quickly though and so whores may want to play for fun not points.

Rent, Buy or Pass – Mostly worth a rent unless you can get if for really cheap. Its not bad but you could do better in the achievement section and the campaign isn’t as good as some others. Final Verdict: Rent

Call of Duty 4

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Netnabi4/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image018.jpg

Quite frankly this is one of the best FPS’s of its time, and that’s during a time when FPS’s are at a high.

Playability – This game brings back what Call of Duty 2 did, the absolute jaw dropping awe that is an amazing first person shooter. With easy controls and a familiar game type this game will suck you in for hours on end.

Sound – Seriously its almost a given that Call of Duty has perfect sound.

Graphics – These graphics really take things to a whole new level. The game just screams out with astonishing visuals. There so good they rival that of anime movies.

Achievements – These deliver nicely and it isn’t hard to get the 1000 with some time. They all are done in single player but the campaign is so great you wont even care.

Rent, Buy or Pass – This is hands down the easiest so far… BUY!

Netnabi4
01-08-2008, 02:54 AM
Reserved for guide

Netnabi4
01-08-2008, 02:56 AM
Reserved for the Guide

Netnabi4
01-08-2008, 02:56 AM
Spaced Reserved

Netnabi4
01-08-2008, 02:58 AM
Spaced Reserved for guide

Apoligizes but the space is needed.

All pics will be fixed tommorow.

Netnabi4
01-08-2008, 02:59 AM
Space needed for the guide.

Tussell
01-08-2008, 03:02 AM
This is what the review team is for, right? Unless I'm missing something about this thread...

Birky
01-08-2008, 03:03 AM
ummm... You realize that the site does reviews, right? Also they are A LOT more detailed and in depth than these...

EDIT: Tussell beat me to it...

hopesfall2win
01-08-2008, 03:05 AM
Alot of the people solely use the forums, there's no problem with this..

Netnabi4
01-08-2008, 03:07 AM
Yea we realized that... or atleast i did. The whole point was to be unindepth. just give a quick glance at the games. It wasn't meant to steal their thunder or anything but quite frankly most of the people who post here have admitted to not reading big posts let alone the huge reviews we have. This was basically the end part of reviews meant for quick reference.

Birky
01-08-2008, 03:23 AM
Yea we realized that... or atleast i did. The whole point was to be unindepth. just give a quick glance at the games. It wasn't meant to steal their thunder or anything but quite frankly most of the people who post here have admitted to not reading big posts let alone the huge reviews we have. This was basically the end part of reviews meant for quick reference.

wow... just wow... I don't think you realize just how much time some of the people writing the site reviews put into it. They are extremely well done and in great detail and depth. I can not think of a better source for previewing your next gaming purchase. And if you are not a big reader than just read the last tidbit of it with all the fancy numbers and such. I don't think this thread is needed at all...

Netnabi4
01-08-2008, 03:27 AM
wow... just wow... I don't think you realize just how much time some of the people writing the site reviews put into it. They are extremely well done and in great detail and depth. I can not think of a better source for previewing your next gaming purchase. And if you are not a big reader than just read the last tidbit of it with all the fancy numbers and such. I don't think this thread is needed at all...

Alright dude sorry if i offended you somehow with just a simple idea. I meant no offence to the review team but as hopesfall2win said not everybody uses the main site alot of people use the forums. Besides having all the last tidbits in a nice organized place wouldnt be a bad thing.

EDIT: If an Admin or Mod deems fit that this is stupid and unneeded than please delete it. I will repost it when it is fully complete and we can see the people response.

Marx0r
01-08-2008, 03:32 AM
You've got an idea here, but it'll take so incredibly long to do what appears to be every single game, it won't be worth it. Perhaps if you just did one release block at a time. For example, now, you'd just have reviews for Assassin's, COD4, The Orange Box, and a few others.

P.S. If you're still set on this, edit your posts and remove the sig. It's annoying to read a sig every 6 games.

Netnabi4
01-08-2008, 03:37 AM
You've got an idea here, but it'll take so incredibly long to do what appears to be every single game, it won't be worth it. Perhaps if you just did one release block at a time. For example, now, you'd just have reviews for Assassin's, COD4, The Orange Box, and a few others.

P.S. If you're still set on this, edit your posts and remove the sig. It's annoying to read a sig every 6 games.

Yea thats true thanks for the PS part.

We have 3 people working on it so far and I don't think it'll take too long. I can pump these puppies out pretty quick with a good amount of detail if i had the time. On a day I have off or a this weekend I'll have alot done.

Darth Heyburt
01-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Birky mate, what crawled up your arse? I think there is a key distinction between Reviews and a what to buy guide. If you can't see that...then here it is;

A majority of the people that spam up this forum with "OOHHHH WHAT GAME SHOULD I BUY" threads will not use the reviews that are written for the site, they will not know where to find them, or will they use them if they did.

This guide, much like my Arcade one is there for people to look at, at a glance to see if something is worth the purchase.

My intention was not to include every game, yet to include recent releases as well as games that you should own on the console. If Nabi wants to include as many games as possible then that is up to him and his free time. I however will be chiming in with my opinion on games that shouldn't be missed on the console.

I know you are an 'Elder' of the site as your subtitle suggests and I'm unclear on whether that title gives you the power to be a massive prick to people trying to help out? My thought is that it doesn't and you just decided to make that choice yourself.

As for talking down to me and nabs, was there any need for it?

Bax x360a
01-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Besides having all the last tidbits in a nice organized place wouldnt be a bad thing.
Thats just given me an idea actually, why dosent myself/birky/one of the mods/whoever in that case make a thread containing all the review summaries, so for lazy people who don't want to read the whole review, they can just read summaries; and the thread could be updated everytime a review is added to the site. Would save the original poster alot of time aswell, and ensure the opinions of the games are from qualified people (not saying your not).

Birky
01-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Birky mate, what crawled up your arse? I think there is a key distinction between Reviews and a what to buy guide. If you can't see that...then here it is;

A majority of the people that spam up this forum with "OOHHHH WHAT GAME SHOULD I BUY" threads will not use the reviews that are written for the site, they will not know where to find them, or will they use them if they did.

This guide, much like my Arcade one is there for people to look at, at a glance to see if something is worth the purchase.

My intention was not to include every game, yet to include recent releases as well as games that you should own on the console. If Nabi wants to include as many games as possible then that is up to him and his free time. I however will be chiming in with my opinion on games that shouldn't be missed on the console.

I know you are an 'Elder' of the site as your subtitle suggests and I'm unclear on whether that title gives you the power to be a massive prick to people trying to help out? My thought is that it doesn't and you just decided to make that choice yourself.

As for talking down to me and nabs, was there any need for it?

When did I say I was better than you because I was an elder member? In no way did I bring post count into this, it is irrelevant. I agree that the what game should I buy threads are insanely annoying, but it s easy to just link them to the review of the game. What difference does it make if the review is in the forum or on the main page? Either way, people who make the 'what game to buy' threads don't care. They don't know how to search and usually are eager to get their post count up to 100 so they can make the leader boards. I was not trying to knock you guys down, it just seems that there is not a need for shorter versions of the excellent reviews we already have. As for them being short to satisfy lazy people, at the end of every review there is a summery of the good and bad for a game. My final verdict: The site reviews are AMAZING (have you ever read them, if not I suggest you take a lookie at Halo 3, Assassins Creed, and Biohock) there is no need for a shorter different summary then the one already provided in the end of the review. This is just my opinion, maybe others will disagree, but I have the right to my own thought.

On a side note, I think your arcade game review thread is great. Arcade games are small and don't really need a big review or anything, just a short little summery works well. I know I have used it and I think it is helpful. Just thought I would let you know that.

If this idea turns out to be good or something, I will delete all my posts in here to make it look cleaner.

Thats just given me an idea actually, why dosent myself/birky/one of the mods/whoever in that case make a thread containing all the review summaries, so for lazy people who don't want to read the whole review, they can just read summaries; and the thread could be updated everytime a review is added to the site. Would save the original poster alot of time aswell, and ensure the opinions of the games are from qualified people (not saying your not).

Good idea, I like it. That way if these people that 'don't look at the main page' can find the superb reviews they are looking for, along with easy to access scores and summaries.

Darth Heyburt
01-08-2008, 10:03 PM
When did I say I was better than you because I was an elder member? In no way did I bring post count into this, it is irrelevant. I agree that the what game should I buy threads are insanely annoying, but it s easy to just link them to the review of the game. What difference does it make if the review is in the forum or on the main page? Either way, people who make the 'what game to buy' threads don't care. They don't know how to search and usually are eager to get their post count up to 100 so they can make the leader boards. I was not trying to knock you guys down, it just seems that there is not a need for shorter versions of the excellent reviews we already have. As for them being short to satisfy lazy people, at the end of every review there is a summery of the good and bad for a game. My final verdict: The site reviews are AMAZING (have you ever read them, if not I suggest you take a lookie at Halo 3, Assassins Creed, and Biohock) there is no need for a shorter different summary then the one already provided in the end of the review. This is just my opinion, maybe others will disagree, but I have the right to my own thought.

On a side note, I think your arcade game review thread is great. Arcade games are small and don't really need a big review or anything, just a short little summery works well. I know I have used it and I think it is helpful. Just thought I would let you know that.

If this idea turns out to be good or something, I will delete all my posts in here to make it look cleaner.

Good idea, I like it. That way if these people that 'don't look at the main page' can find the superb reviews they are looking for, along with easy to access scores and summaries.

Not bothered with this anymore. Nab you can continue with this if you like, but to be honest if it's gonna be shit on, is it worth continuing?

There are already reviews on this site who are we to say that what we do will stop morons making new threads?

There will always be the idiots that have to ask, like the guy yesterday who asked where to buy an elite system... I wouldn't waste your time. :)

Netnabi4
01-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Not bothered with this anymore. Nab you can continue with this if you like, but to be honest if it's gonna be shit on, is it worth continuing?

There are already reviews on this site who are we to say that what we do will stop morons making new threads?

There will always be the idiots that have to ask, like the guy yesterday who asked where to buy an elite system... I wouldn't waste your time. :)

Actually narcolepticshee wants to help us and he thinks its a great idea. Plus in the thread were the idea spawned Zef said he thought it was a good idea. But like I said I'm gonna work on it untill staff tells me i need to stop.

narcolepticshee
01-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Actually narcolepticshee wants to help us and he thinks its a great idea. Plus in the thread were the idea spawned Zef said he thought it was a good idea. But like I said I'm gonna work on it untill staff tells me i need to stop.

Good for you man - untill staff actually tell you to stop, i'd ignore all these pessimists (*Cough* Birky *Cough* (haha, no offence, just making a little joke :))) Everyone has said how great the arcade one is so why not do it for retail games aswell?

Great Idea, keep going

Peace