PDA

View Full Version : Reasons To Stay Active

Tussell
01-09-2008, 02:36 AM
I was thinking of creating this thread, but wanted to run it by everyone here at x360a first.

I'm sure many of you know that we have many inactive members and leachers. I figured with this thread it would help keep people active within the forum, rather than just signing up and never coming back. It seems as if there's always just the same faces. I've been sending links of this site to recent players, friends who I know haven't seen the site, other forums, etc. I hope some of the newer members are from me, and just haven't referred me. But once these people register, they get bored.

I was thinking of just maybe throwing in some "Pro's" as to why staying active is a good thing.

Staying active will qualify you to win free things, take part in great tournaments, gain achievements, meet new people, and help out others.

That's pretty much the version of what I would put, but in a nutshell. When people register, I don't think they fully look around at what is here to offer, and just get bored of it.

It's just a though, but it would be nice to see some more regulars around here.

Sanction
01-09-2008, 02:38 AM
Staying active means keeping me happy, every time someone leaves forever I die a little inside. :p

To be fair, it is an achievement site...and people come here for what they need and once they get it, they're long gone. :p

DoM cAbAn
01-09-2008, 02:41 AM
Not a bad idea. Lately, I've seen a huge improvement in the number of members registering and making introduction topics. There are so many new ones that I have to welcome when I come on this site. :p

But yes, there is a lot to benefit from by becoming an active member. The only problem would be how to get the new members to actually see the thread. If they don't browse around, then they probably won't find it.

Shinobi273
01-09-2008, 02:42 AM
You would need to balance it with the people that come in here and basicaly spam.

I think coming online and participating in boosting would be good but IDK how you would monitor such activity. Especailly since not all games can be boosted and not all communications are on this site (xbox LIVE PMs).

Tussell
01-09-2008, 02:47 AM
@ Dom - I'd put it in the Member Profile section.

@ Shinobi - I don't think spam happens on purpose y'know? I mean, I'm always accused of spam, but hell, I mean, I'm a talkative person, I'm on here nearly 24/7, and I've got shit to say. This place is like having a conversation for me. I'll interrupt people and shit like that. If people really do have a problem with it, and they're approached, they'll usually calm down. It doesn't seem as if it happens a lot though, and there's hardly any more of that crap where people want you to click things to level up their lame little characters in those browser games. I think this may even reduce the spam. It shows that there's much more to participate in, that can get your eligibility up, without posting "lol" to a thread or something along those lines.

Anywho, it's just an idea.

Sanction
01-09-2008, 02:52 AM
Actually, what would increase registered users (not sure...is that what the topic was about? Or keeping them here?) is not let the unregistered users browse the site, that would increase traffic and all that stuff...but also spam, so fuck that idea. :p

Netnabi4
01-09-2008, 02:54 AM
I personally think its a great Idea especially putting it in the members profile section so virtually everyone sees it. The thing is though we get spam from alot of members we currently have and its getting bad. It's not good to encourage people to spam but If we had like a month requirement for things or a post requirement for contests and such we wouldn't get the one time wonders.

Shinobi273
01-09-2008, 02:56 AM
Spam like this guy trying to get 100 posts right now. He might not be spamming on purpose, but this is what happenes when we make post count requirements. Check the threads he has been posting in, he wreaked havock on the Rainbow Six Forum and now has moved to Hitman.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?find=lastposter&t=26931

Tussell
01-09-2008, 02:56 AM
Actually, what would increase registered users (not sure...is that what the topic was about? Or keeping them here?) is not let the unregistered users browse the site, that would increase traffic and all that stuff...but also spam, so fuck that idea. :p
You'd need to be careful about restricting people from things.

As you'll see, people will be registered since sometime in 2006, and say, "I've been browsing here for a long time, and just decided to start using the forums actively." Things along those lines.

It's not good to restrict members, otherwise they feel like they're a part of a strict "Nazi" like site. It's best to keep it open to the public all the time... Y'know?

Xterm1n8or
01-09-2008, 02:58 AM

This cracked me up ^^^^ lol

Anyway i think its a good idea. What is actually classed as an active user though? Somebody who posts regularly or logs in regularly? I've always wondered.

I think definitely to get people to stay active the benefits of staying active should be clearly shown to them. A while back i read a post by someone saying (i'm sorry i forget who said it) that every new member could automatically recieve a PM with details in it, although if people are anything like me, they overlook their PM inbox and realise they have 5 unread messages a couple of days later.

To end my ramble its a good idea, people need to be shown the incentives of staying, but how i don't know, great idea, we need more active users.

Sanction
01-09-2008, 03:01 AM
Anyway i think its a good idea. What is actually classed as an active user though? Somebody who posts regularly or logs in regularly? I've always wondered.

I think active would be having above 1 post per day after being a member for over a month. That shows you check the site everyday and have input for what people post.

Xterm1n8or
01-09-2008, 03:04 AM
I think active would be having above 1 post per day after being a member for over a month. That shows you check the site everyday and have input for what people post.

Yeah it's just that at the bottom of the index it says 49,900 total users and 13,832 active users, so there must be an exact definition of an active user, whether it be how many times they visit or how many times they post per week, there must be a boundary.

I'm sure an admin will tell all how it works. Sorry to drag this a bit off topic :(. I'm back on topic now!

Come on guys stop singling people out for spam it could be hurtful and it is a little bit unfair! This thread is about keeping users active, not spam anyway.

Bodangles
01-09-2008, 03:05 AM
Spam like this guy trying to get 100 posts right now. He might not be spamming on purpose, but this is what happenes when we make post count requirements. Check the threads he has been posting in, he wreaked havock on the Rainbow Six Forum and now has moved to Hitman.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?find=lastposter&t=26931

are you kidding me? that's nothing compared to posts i have seen by
hotdog1802
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?u=44284

how he has not been infracted is beyond me, but as i told teh birkinat0r, it makes me want to go to a child eating an ice cream cone and shove it in his face and say "You remember me forever!". anyways, sorry for naming names and complaining about spam. in regards to the idea, is there anyway to get on google for guides to games? i have googled a few guides and we never come up on the first page. i think, strange as it sounds, we would gain quite a few members that way. my suspicions is that they suscribe in anticipation of more, equal guides. my two cents worth :)

DoM cAbAn
01-09-2008, 03:19 AM
how he has not been infracted is beyond me

Well, how can you be so sure he hasn't been given an infraction yet? Only Administrators are able to see who has infraction, unless members tell other members. Also guys, you should probably stop singling specific people out... not a very nice thing to do. :p

Also, I have always wondered if there is a way that new members can have a PM sent to them to direct them to the Member Profiles forums, or any other place for that matter. In this case, the "Reasons to Stay Active" thread.

Bodangles
01-09-2008, 05:24 AM
i said sorry! lol thanks for keeping me in line :)

[quote=DoM cAbAn;570717]
Also, I have always wondered if there is a way that new members can have a PM sent to them to direct them to the Member Profiles forums, or any other place for that matter. In this case, the "Reasons to Stay Active" thread.

that would be a good idea, just like any damn website sends you an email saying welcome!, except via PM. also, as Dom mentions, we direct them to the Reasons to Stay Active thread. also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to include the "Games" Forum and the "General Xbox 360" or "General Off-Topic" threads. this way they can find something to hook them to the site.

vhayste
01-09-2008, 05:34 AM
Staying active will allow you to gain more friends offline or online. Especially on Live. You can definitely ask for help and provide help as well.

Kmoney roc
01-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Good reason to stay active, i have found the forums and guides so useful i reckon at least 4000 of my gamerscore has come from guides on this site. Making friends on here is priceless for online play.

M85A21
01-09-2008, 10:08 AM
It's a good idea.
I think that the idea would keep leachers active etc.

By the way I'm only posting here to get my post count up so see you later!

jk

calzord
01-09-2008, 10:28 AM
my ppd is only around 0.70 but thats becuse i didnt become active for months but know im more of a part of it i can get enough of it getting in a comp pushed me to become active.

KewlBrettC
01-09-2008, 11:31 AM
well they have that senior and non senior member contest going on if that may be what you were hoping for

Minty
01-09-2008, 11:57 AM
So we have a post on the forums to encourage people to use the forums. And they find this post by browsing the forums, and theyll find said post amongst the other posts showing whats on the site.....

:p

M85A21
01-09-2008, 12:01 PM
So..Is it just me or have any other heads imploded?

goenitz96
01-09-2008, 01:19 PM
I've seen the suggestion to let only registered user to access it.
I think this is not a good idea.
I've been using this site for nearly 2 years, to see achievements lists, to help me to find tricks to get achievements or for resolving problems on games. If i find a site where you can't see anything without registering I simply leave it.
Now Iíve played several games so that's why i registered here, now i think i can give suggestions or help people to get achievements.
If I found help from here, I think it's normal for me to help in return.

Iíve seen you've talked of spammers, there is a lot of polls here, just vote and post 1 time on a poll and you'll have your post count. just answer other people questions, Iím sure it's easy to get 100 post in 2 months without spamming.

Perhaps to keep more active users is to make a post count every time, but not to high to don't dissuade new members. ex 10 post/month.

Otisbum
01-09-2008, 01:25 PM
So we have a post on the forums to encourage people to use the forums. And they find this post by browsing the forums, and theyll find said post amongst the other posts showing whats on the site.....

:p Of course. :)

There could be a link right under the faceplate graphic on the main page on the green section. Under the Home button, and above the Latest News Items section.

It could show up whether logged in or not, just in case one signs up but doesn't plan on staying long.

DrChiz
01-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Staying active is fun because you learn alot from the site. You meet lots of cool , nice, awesome people here. Make some friends to share achievements with.

I mean this is a great community site i dont see why people would not want to stay active on it, i just joined and im very active.

snafegeeza
01-09-2008, 02:35 PM
with staff like Tron and Minty, who wouldnt stay longer....those guys are Grrrrrrreat!

M85A21
01-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Me and DrChiz rock!
I have just recently been active on the forums..Its brilliant!

jaycarrell
01-09-2008, 02:46 PM
I love this site and wish I could be "more" active. Unfortunately I don't have the money for the internet at home, so I can't take part in any online boosting efforts or helping people with coop. And I rent, because I'm too poor to buy, so by the time I get a game there's nothing I can do to help.

I figure I'm useful in the off topic forums...or at least I hope I am. I guess I'll just stay as active as I can for the next 6 months and when I get a real job maybe I can get online.

CR JD92
01-09-2008, 03:03 PM
I think the main reason people would go inactive is becuase they just dont have much to say on the forums, or atleast things that havent already been said. But once you start to get to know a few people and get used to posting the site is awsome, especially with all the guides it has to offer and contests and what not.

Steelhead
01-09-2008, 03:06 PM
The members are what keeps me active. I've had help with more achievements than I can count. Some just by people posting tips and some in-game. It's a great community with great people. Anyone who chooses not to stay active is really missing out.

Justicezero
01-09-2008, 03:22 PM
In my case, I'm not as active as other members and I really enjoy this site and I try to get more involved. But I continue to stay active because I love the community we have here, I've posted on several things that were off topic (they went in the appropriate sections) and the community has had helpful comments and lovely discussions. That's why I stay active and if people don't want to try and stay active then oh well, they are providing hits for the site and that helps.

Ingles
01-09-2008, 05:46 PM
In my opinion, I think it'd be cool if we had a "Tour x360a" link on our main website that could show pictures of all the different parts of x360a including what the site has to offer as well as the rewards it has for those members who are active in the website and community. This link could also say "New Members Click Here" or something. On the page that this link would take them too, we could provide links in the forums to places like "FAQ" and "Reasons To Stay Active" and provide a list of pros for being active on the website as oppose to not being active. We could also have a general discussion about the awards, the general process it takes for "Submitting and Achievement picture" by linking that to the forums as well. I mean... It was just a quick idea that popped into my head, but with some real planning, it could be really great! What does everyone else think? What are some other things that we could include on a webpage such as that to help familiarize new members with the website?

I'll post again later with a format of how it could look.

Paleo Looshe
01-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Is standing at the front door, welcoming every man, woman and child who walks through it's gorgeous doors, spam?????? If it is, take me to the gallows and do the thing were you wrap a knotted rope around my neck and take away my means of standing on my feet.

I'm new here, just joined in the beginning of December 07, and i just have 50 posts, I won't lie sometimes it was frustrating not being able to submit for the Maximum Clubs or Leaderboards, in fact I almost never joined because of that.
I usually log on everyday and browse the forums, some of my post our long and detailed, some short and to the point, am I spamming, obviously not as I have not recieved an infraction (for spamming at least) or I've managed to stay under the radar.
However each of my post are heartfelt and warm.
So how do you define spam???

Either way I think it would be a great idea to inform new members of the benefits of being active, even though after a month and a week i'm still not sure my self, of any benefits, you people are crazy and dememented haha lol

Oh and Steelhead, definetly agree with you on you SIG, Halo 3's all that matters babyyyyyyy!!!! Almost got me divorced a couple of dozen times.......:mad: lol

playmaker2197
01-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Just as CD JD92 said: Most people dont have much to say on the forums. That was basically my problem. I started coming here back in feb07 and didnt become a member until july. even then I didnt have much to post about. Not until the last two months have I really become more active.
From experience: New people have less to say here. This isnt a gamefaq/gamespot forum where everyone wants to argue and call names. This is a site where the members and visitors have a common goal: To get achievements.
Having things to achieve (member wise is a good thing) Leaderboard, giveaways are all positive things and I feel that this is one of the deepest video game sites that I have seen. And the members are great and very helpful which makes the site even better to come back to.