PDA

View Full Version : RPG's

Xposure
01-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Hey everyone,

Well I've been playing Naruto: Rise of a Ninja and Oblivion. To me, RPG's and my best friend. :P Well, except for the peoples at school and stuffs..

But anyways. XD Just wanted to know what everyone thought about some other games that I might be interested in. The reason I say this is, because I just got my Elite for Xmas and I'd like to know what you guys think of the newer games that just came out. Like Assasin's Creed. A friend of mine says it's crap. And I have no clue if I should get it.

(I think I went off-topic again.>_<)

Basically this post is just to ask for everyones opinion on the newer games for the 360.

Shinobi273
01-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Alot of people said AC was boring, alot also said it was awesome, not alot of RPG elements in there though. The top rated RPG is currently Mass Effect, some debate that FPS combat exclude it from being a role playing game. IMO it is because they have forgotten what RPG means. Eternal Sonata is pretty much a classic RPG game with turn based combat and supposedly cliche story (I haven't played it and wouldn't spoil it for you anyway). Blue Dragon is nearly never ending in gameplay, so if you want something you will finish, stay away.

So far, all you have played on your GT is the Naruto game with is a fighting game I believe... Not alot I can make recommendations off of.

Asian47
01-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Review wise, Mass Effect is the best on the 360. If you are into Western RPG's, it's a must have.

The other two well recieved RPG's are Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata. I've only played the demo's to them but they seem like very good games. The voice acting though, made me wanna bash my skull in with a hammer though.

Another game, called Two Worlds came out awhile ago, and mainly it's gotten mixed reviews, might be rent worthy if your intrested but I recommend stay away, stay far away.

The only other RPG I can think of is Marvel Ultimate Alliance. If you ever played the X-Men Legends games, it's pretty much like that except with more super-heroes like Spider-Man and Captain America. If you do get this game, make sure to get the Gold Edition.

And then another JRPG is coming out called Lost Oddyseey. When I saw the trailer, my jaw dropped and wet myself. Definetly look out for that one.

Hope you enjoy your 360, Alot of awesome games on it.

PS:IMO, Assassin's Creed is a must buy. There is a HUGE learning curve to it because of the controls but once you get used to it, You'll be fending of 30 guards with your badassness. Atleast try it before you make any decisions.

Xposure
01-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the replys. :]

Once I get a bit more cash, I'll probably be getting AC, and the Mortal Kombat Arcade game. Maybe Mass Effect to. :P

haha, Can't wait for Fable 2 and Soul Calibur IV comes out. <3

Yea Ultimate Alliance came with it. Doesn't seem that interesting though. o.O I might go try it later on.

Shinobi273
01-10-2008, 08:32 PM
lol I forgot about Marvel Ultimate Alliance, don't you get that game with the console? That is an awesome game. Stay away from Two Worlds...

Sanction
Assassin's Creed isn't an RPG by any means. Mass Effect would be your best bet if you want a good RPG. It looks great, has a good story and takes a while to complete. Can't go wrong there.

jaycarrell
don't discount eternal sonata, at least give it a rent (if you're really looking for rpgs), and in the next year there will be fable 2 (pick up the original used and cheap it's back compatible) and lost odessy

Shaaady Souljah
01-10-2008, 08:34 PM
AC is amazing. Not sure who all of these people are that did not like it... and the learning curve is not bad at all if you have your volume up and do as the voice says at the beginning. :p

I can not wait to get more AC in... but GSL calls... ;)

but yeah... Oblivion is great. I enjoyed it very much. Mass Effect would have to be next I would think.

Asian47
01-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Forgot MUA came bundled with the Elite. But does it have the DLC?

MUA is a pretty good game if you give it a chance. The first Act wasn't the best beginning. I think it's alot better the Legends.

I don't know what to expect from Fable 2, the whole "Love" thing just screams cheese, but the dog is pretty badass. I have to say the game looks beautiful though. I'll probably still get the game.

Dashman232
01-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Assassins creed = Goty in my oppion. I have no clue why everyone dislikes it so much. It is great fun, and the achievements are mainly easy but might require 2-3 playthroughs.

o0EVIL0o x360a
01-10-2008, 09:32 PM
You're missing Phantasy Star Universe and Enchanted Arms. Both are not half bad. Beware the beginning of Enchanted Arms sucks, but it gets better.

zlionsfan
01-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Well, I've probably put about 500 hours into Oblivion, so I don't know if you really need any other games right now. :)

Mass Effect and Eternal Sonata are on my 4-to-6-months-out list (no time to play them right now). I was not a big fan of Fable due to the way I felt it pushed you through the storyline and kicked you to the curb once the final fight was over, so I may not get Fable 2.

I would definitely recommend Rock Band or Guitar Hero III if you have the cash. They're both good party games, plus you can probably pick up GH II more cheaply if you find you want a second guitar. Orange Box is another good one, lots of achievements and gameplay.

Yeah, those aren't RPGs. But Puzzle Quest is, in the Arcade. It's definitely worth a try. Arkadian Warriors is a more limited RPG, no real control over how you level up or anything, but not a bad game.

If you don't mind older games, GameFly typically sells used games pretty cheap, and if you're a member, shipping is free. The service itself is nice if you have a lot of time for games and don't mind the rental idea - I'll occasionally keep a game for months until I find a good time to play it. (I guess GameAccess would be the Canadian equivalent, but I don't know much about them.)

jaycarrell
01-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Enchanted Arms was awful, awful, awful, I'd rather gnaw my own arm off than play that game again. Just my opinion, not trying to start a fight.

Pez
01-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Enchanted Arms was awful, awful, awful, I'd rather gnaw my own arm off than play that game again. Just my opinion, not trying to start a fight.

I actually enjoyed Enchanted Arms, but then again I enjoy most RPG's thrown my way, regardless if I complete them or not. :p

Oh and about Two Worlds, it's good if you have the patience to get into it. It's basically a poor man's Oblivion. (Not literally, just a saying). ;)

You just have to be able to put up with the glitches, bad graphics, poor framerate, awful online (might've been fixed with update) etc etc.

Despite all it's downfalls, if you have the patience and enough perseverance, it actually is possible to play. :p

~SS

K7 Plant K7
01-10-2008, 10:28 PM
As people have already said, Mass Effect and AC are decent games. If you have enough MS points and a hard-drive, or can find the game in a shop, then you should try Fable. You can't get achievements for it but it's still an amazing game, it had me hooked for hour after hour after hour.

Dashman232
01-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Like someone said above oblivion is one of the best games their are also. I would avoid Enchanted arms. I blew a good 30 dollers on this game and hardly touched it. Something about that guy likeing that other guy kindove made me avoid it. More of a rent then a buy.

Pez
01-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Something about that guy likeing that other guy kindove made me avoid it.

Not to spoil it for you:

But that guy dies for most of the game. ;)
Theoretically speaking anyways.

~SS

Dashman232
01-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Not to spoil it for you, but that guy dies for most of the game. ;)

Theoretically speaking anyways.

haha i know thats when i started injoying the game haha. It just gets kindove repetive, like the battles and all being the same.

Pez
01-10-2008, 10:41 PM
You won't like many Japanese RPG's then. That's basically all the combat systems consist of. :p

Personally, I like it like that myself. It involves strategy, therefore requiring you to think ahead and plan. Think of it as an easier game of chess. ;)

~SS

Dashman232
01-10-2008, 10:44 PM
You won't like many Japanese RPG's then. That's basically all the combat systems consist of. :p

Personally, I like it like that myself. It involves strategy, therefore requiring you to think ahead and plan. Think of it as an easier game of chess. ;)

~SS

Thats true, some people have their oppions

( i would like to take this chance to say... that guy in your sig is AWSOME

Bax x360a
01-10-2008, 10:56 PM
If you're thinking about purchasing new games mate, I'd recommend reading the reviews we have no the site (I'm not saying this jsut because I'm on the review team :p reviews generally give you a really good outline of how a game is)
Assassins Creed review - http://www.xbox360achievements.org/review.php?gameID=277
Kane and Lynch - http://www.xbox360achievements.org/review.php?gameID=373
I see you've only played Naruto, games I recommend you reading up on and trying:
Gears of War - http://www.xbox360achievements.org/review.php?gameID=144
Guitar Hero 3 - http://www.xbox360achievements.org/review.php?gameID=393
Bioshock - http://www.xbox360achievements.org/review.php?gameID=271

I see you're into RPG's, I'd definitely recommend trying out Mass Effect in that case, its a terrific game. Eternal Sonata is also an awesome RPG, here's the review for that.
Eternal Sonata - http://www.xbox360achievements.org/review.php?gameID=253

That lot should give you some reading time, and definitely some amazing games for you to experience and add to your collection. I hope that helps, happy gaming!

Xposure
01-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Well, I've probably put about 500 hours into Oblivion, so I don't know if you really need any other games right now. :)

Mass Effect and Eternal Sonata are on my 4-to-6-months-out list (no time to play them right now). I was not a big fan of Fable due to the way I felt it pushed you through the storyline and kicked you to the curb once the final fight was over, so I may not get Fable 2.

I would definitely recommend Rock Band or Guitar Hero III if you have the cash. They're both good party games, plus you can probably pick up GH II more cheaply if you find you want a second guitar. Orange Box is another good one, lots of achievements and gameplay.

Yea I love playing GHII/GHIII. I really want to get RockBand too. But I think I'm going to get Assassins Creed today. So that should hold me off for a couple of days.

I might (re)get GH3. (I had it for the PS2)

-edit-

I might be getting one of the Dynasty Warriors games too. :] I still have an old copy of one of the older ones for the PS2. ^^ Dynasty Warriors is different than most Hack & Slash games IMO.

Slarak
01-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Honestly AC is a really fun game, but I would definitly rent it first. It just doesn't have as much replayability as Mass Effect does.

_DaNnY_
01-11-2008, 04:28 PM
I own Eternal Sonata (am roughly level 22, in Baroque City after defeating the pirates) and would say the game is quite good though nowhere near that of the Final Fantasy series.

The graphics are stunning, there's really nice deep colours but the voices are annoying as fuck! Plus you can't forget to mention the lack of freedom there is. (For me, at this point in the game I cannot free roam on the map; the story is taking me to new locations to progress but I can't backtrack to older places) I like freedom in RPGs so that kinda sucks, the battle system is free movement (no stuck on a line) and monsters are found as 3D models out in the wilderness which you need to touch to initiate battle (or run around to avoid battle, so no random battles) the most traditional cliche rpg on the 360 at the moment I'd say but prepare to have you friends take the piss out of you when they see you playing that.... the graphics are good, but very childish hahaha

Xposure
01-11-2008, 09:57 PM
I own Eternal Sonata (am roughly level 22, in Baroque City after defeating the pirates) and would say the game is quite good though nowhere near that of the Final Fantasy series.

The graphics are stunning, there's really nice deep colours but the voices are annoying as fuck! Plus you can't forget to mention the lack of freedom there is. (For me, at this point in the game I cannot free roam on the map; the story is taking me to new locations to progress but I can't backtrack to older places) I like freedom in RPGs so that kinda sucks, the battle system is free movement (no stuck on a line) and monsters are found as 3D models out in the wilderness which you need to touch to initiate battle (or run around to avoid battle, so no random battles) the most traditional cliche rpg on the 360 at the moment I'd say but prepare to have you friends take the piss out of you when they see you playing that.... the graphics are good, but very childish hahaha

I agree with you when you say that you like to have freedom. The only other RPG I have is for the PS2, Kingdom Hearts 2. <3

Awesome game!

-Back to topic-
I couldn't go into town today. So I have another WHOLE day to think about what I want to buy. For now I guess I'll work on Oblivion. :p

Thanks for everyone that helped me out -- deciding on what I wanted to buy.

GalrenCreptus
01-12-2008, 12:20 AM
I'd recommend Mass Effect and Oblivion if you're looking for more of the Western style RPGs, if you're wanting RPGs in general then I'd also recommend Blue Dragon, Phantasy Star Universe (first game in a long time that caused me to want to stay up all night to play through and find out what happens next) and Enchanted Arms, haven't finished it but I've definitely enjoyed it so far.

knockton55
01-13-2008, 03:24 PM
If you like Eastern RPG's then wait for the huge upcoming 4 discer lost oddysee :) or if you like Westerns, go get Mass Effect. Go get it now. Just avoid two worlds :)

Kozzy
01-13-2008, 08:17 PM
cant go wrong with mass effect and oblivion but i would rent assassians creed its to repeditive