PDA

View Full Version : God of War Designer Demands Unified Hardware Platform

Weapon 117
01-11-2008, 11:10 PM
David Jaffe, the designer of Twisted Metal and God of War, is demanding for a standard video game platform. Jaffe wrote on his personal blog:

One game publisher would be bad. One giant game developer would be bad. I get how those things would hurt gamers. But why would one unified hardware platform?

We have it with DVD, we had it with VHS. We have it with televisions (in the sense that- for the most part- every tv is capable of broadcasting the same signal). So what do we lose by having it for game consoles?

To read more about Jaffe's thoughts, click here (http://criminalcrackdown.blogspot.com/2008/01/all-for-one.html).

Source: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/15444/God-of-War-Designer-Demands-Unified-Hardware-Platform/

Deyankees1
01-12-2008, 05:34 AM
Nice find, but thing is these company's (Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo) are to greedy and they want all the cash their getting. Doubt a unified gaming system but a gamer can only dream and not worry about exclusivity and why isnt this game out for this and vice versa.

PerpetualHeaven
01-12-2008, 05:44 AM
Nice find, but thing is these company's (Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo) are to greedy and they want all the cash their getting. Doubt a unified gaming system but a gamer can only dream and not worry about exclusivity and why isnt this game out for this and vice versa.

They could be using at least the same Architecture. I don't think he means one single console, simply consoles that share similar hardware. If you look at DVD Players. They all can play DVDs. Some have better quality though because of different technology.

Consoles on the other hand. You have the cell on one hand, a triple core, then a single core. Then another has a motion sensor. The other has different disc capacity. Etc etc etc.

Deyankees1
01-12-2008, 06:00 AM
They could be using at least the same Architecture. I don't think he means one single console, simply consoles that share similar hardware. If you look at DVD Players. They all can play DVDs. Some have better quality though because of different technology.

Consoles on the other hand. You have the cell on one hand, a triple core, then a single core. Then another has a motion sensor. The other has different disc capacity. Etc etc etc.

I see what you mean now. But its still a long shot form happening anyways. :(

Sanction
01-12-2008, 06:01 AM
I think the word monopoly comes to mind. Competition is good, it keeps prices low. If there was only 1 console the prices of games and peripherals would be insane.

mjda
01-12-2008, 04:22 PM
If the hardware was all unified, it would make it easier on the game producers, without a doubt. Other then that, I can't really see a huge benefit to anyone else. As was posted earlier, we need competition.

Bajan Elite
01-12-2008, 04:58 PM
forget unified just release GOW3 for 360 and I'm good I never played the first 2 but i wanna but i don't have a PS2

PerpetualHeaven
01-12-2008, 05:06 PM
I think the word monopoly comes to mind. Competition is good, it keeps prices low. If there was only 1 console the prices of games and peripherals would be insane.

Like I said above, I don't think he means one single console. He used VHS and DVD players as an example. We all know there isn't one single VHS or DVD player available to buy. Simply use similar technologies so you don't have to constantly recode and port. I'm sure the main concern is time and money. Developers would save a lot and make a lot more money if there were consoles that were basically identical.

Sanction
01-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Fanboys would be nonexistent since there would only be one console. :p

prowlerdante
01-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Like I said above, I don't think he means one single console. He used VHS and DVD players as an example. We all know there isn't one single VHS or DVD player available to buy. Simply use similar technologies so you don't have to constantly recode and port. I'm sure the main concern is time and money. Developers would save a lot and make a lot more money if there were consoles that were basically identical.

If this was the case, Assassins Creed would have been out sooner (they said they were having problems fitting everything on the 360's Dual Layer DVD format, compared to the PS3's Blu-Ray).

I can't see how it would hurt to have all consoles use the same type of media. I mean, last generation (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube) almost used the same media, with the exception of the Gamecube, and things were moving much more smoothly. Right now, with the different media, it's sort of like a pissing contest between media types, and I don't think it's fair to the developers to try and switch media types just for the sake of the different consoles.

puckup
01-12-2008, 09:39 PM
i hope that god of war comes out on 360 i loved that game on PS2

PerpetualHeaven
01-12-2008, 10:47 PM
If this was the case, Assassins Creed would have been out sooner (they said they were having problems fitting everything on the 360's Dual Layer DVD format, compared to the PS3's Blu-Ray).

I can't see how it would hurt to have all consoles use the same type of media. I mean, last generation (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube) almost used the same media, with the exception of the Gamecube, and things were moving much more smoothly. Right now, with the different media, it's sort of like a pissing contest between media types, and I don't think it's fair to the developers to try and switch media types just for the sake of the different consoles.

It's not only media but architecture too. I mean look at the three consoles CPUs:

PS3 - Cell
360 - Tri-Core
Wii - Uno Core

Note: Tri-Core and Uno Core are my cool versions for Triple and Single.

The programming would be totally different for all three. That takes up a lot of time and man hours. Where as if they all use the cell, tri-core or uno core then they have to make the game ONCE and can sell it on all three consoles without having to recode then port.

Last generation, their processors were basically identical. Porting was a breeze. They all used a single core processor. Now, these consoles don't even use anything remotely related to one another. Making AC on 360 then trying to port it to the Wii I'm sure would be hellish.

TwistedFate
01-12-2008, 11:26 PM
I don't think it's a good idea. It works for TV's and DVD players because they are pretty much static formats. Gamers always want better and better. A unified format means the console hardware doesn't grow and we all end up playing with the same specs years down the road. For an example, imagine still playing the NES and only the NES today.

Of course some people will probably argue "just make the format unified and then you can add better pieces over time improving the platform". We already have that. It's called a PC.

From a developers stand point it's great, but it would suck for users.

Vervous
01-12-2008, 11:35 PM

It's not just the prices, it's the quality. In a monopoly, the company can do whatever it wants because they are the only company in that market. Remember the Atari 2600? They had the majority share of the video game pie way back when, and they exploited that by making hideous games (I'm looking at you, Pac-Man and ET.)

With competition like this, Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo have to strive to make the best games so people are attracted to that console more.

Long story short, competition is good for the consumer.

hopesfall2win
01-12-2008, 11:45 PM
Why does he care? God of War is only for ps3 anyways, it's not like he's working on it for 2 consoles. Xbox magazine had an article about this..it's a stupid idea.