PDA

View Full Version : stop automated posting

kickers97
01-14-2008, 04:19 AM
I don't know if your site has a problem with this or not, but to stop spam (the automated ones anyway):

have the user do an image capture every 5 posts or something to stop automated posting. However they could also easily bypass the image capture by changing the colors to black and white and then run some more scripts to get the character sequence :-S So maybe do a "finish this phrase:" Gears of _____

drno
01-14-2008, 04:23 AM
I don't know if your site has a problem with this or not, but to stop spam (the automated ones anyway):

have the user do an image capture every 5 posts or something to stop automated posting. However they could also easily bypass the image capture by changing the colors to black and white and then run some more scripts to get the character sequence :-S So maybe do a "finish this phrase:" Gears of _____
I haven't noticed or seen this spam problem. Can you point me in the direction of a user who spams or a thread made by such user?
Re-entering the little info box seems like it would get incredibly tedious for big posters like some mods.

Bodangles
01-14-2008, 04:25 AM
i'm pretty sure i can guarantee we don't have any automated posters. i assume you mean the ones such as those on myspace who advertise product. seriously. i'd bet my new subscription on it :p ok i'm waiting for an answer from my roomates but i'd still bet on it.

highpass
01-14-2008, 04:28 AM
We have the stereotypical robots protecting us from such occurrences, but this of course can in no way stop the obviously-lifeless muppets that actually do this stuff manually (which even a verification box wouldn't stop).

Edit; forgot to mention, if you see any such posts do use the report button seen to the left, and we'll promptly ban the buggers.