PDA

View Full Version : Site Suggestion

xRogue 5x
01-15-2008, 02:19 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned before. I searched around and didn't see it. I was thinking that why don't we as a site run some charity events. For example during next years holiday season we could have a games for needy children drive. I know a lot of the other sites out there have done charity things and what not. I was just thinking it would be a good way to help others as well as get our name out there.

Let me know what you think and sorry if this has already been brought up.

Otisbum
01-15-2008, 02:22 AM
Sounds like a nice idea, but if you're talking video games, how many needy children do you know with a 360?

I'd think anyone with that sort of luxury could hardly be called needy. ;)

As far as helping with a charity in general, that'd be great to take part in, just as long as we make sure it's a well-established charity that we know will carry out its plans.

Jdm
01-15-2008, 02:24 AM
That is actually a Great idea Rogue.

I love the fact of donating as I've donated here and donated to the Salvation Army and Goodwill. As a Retail Manager, I donate plenty of items from my store as well.

I also get the hook up from FYE, so I can definitely throw in some Games and Accessories. I'm even willing to give up some of my own games from my collection.

I guess we can literally Donate anything and not just Game related products.

Mr Arrow
01-15-2008, 02:26 AM
That's a great idea. How about:

Toys for kids

Video games for troops.

n1n3t33nd3lta
01-15-2008, 02:27 AM
Yeah, because I've got lots of old clothes and things that I don't wear that are still in good condition that I could donate. I was going to take them to the goodwill anyway, might as well use them for something site related :)

fugitivetoby31
01-15-2008, 02:53 AM
Guys first off great idea!

But how about rather than give the items to charity, someone (anyone trustworthy) sells the items thru eBay or similar and then the money can be sent to a charity. As someone else pointed out a real 'needy' child may not have a 360 or for that matter they may not be able to actually operate a console and some of our old stuff may be a little big for them lol.

The eBay auctions could be limited to members only or the public.

Also as far as the charity to be selected how about something universal ie something that runs in the USA, UK, etc etc if we picked some local orphanage in London some members may not appreciate the difference it would make.

xRogue 5x
01-15-2008, 02:56 AM
Yeah, i was just using the games as an example when I was thinking about this. We could use anything really, i just figured it would be cool to see the site involved in some charity stuff.

Jdm
01-15-2008, 02:58 AM
Guys first off great idea!

But how about rather than give the items to charity, someone (anyone trustworthy) sells the items thru eBay or similar and then the money can be sent to a charity. As someone else pointed out a real 'needy' child may not have a 360 or for that matter they may not be able to actually operate a console and some of our old stuff may be a little big for them lol.

The eBay auctions could be limited to members only or the public.

Also as far as the charity to be selected how about something universal ie something that runs in the USA, UK, etc etc if we picked some local orphanage in London some members may not appreciate the difference it would make.

That's a fantastic way of going about the charity Toby!

Going through eBay is a very easy and simple way. I guess we'll have to wait for the Bosses and see what happens.

Marx0r
01-15-2008, 02:58 AM
I'd donate or do something, as long as it's not for some global warming thing. But anything we do could make a xbox.com mention, which could catapault the site's membership.

I'm not gonna derail the thread here, I believe global warming is nonexistent, nothing you can say will change that, I'm not replying to any comment made by anyone.

mjda
01-15-2008, 03:01 AM
But how about rather than give the items to charity, someone (anyone trustworthy) sells the items thru eBay or similar and then the money can be sent to a charity.

If you're going to do that, why not just have everyone sell their own items and just mail the money in to "anyone trustworthy". I'd hate to be the guy who had to sell all of the items that people sent in, but dang, their feedback would sky rocket.

This is a great idea guys. The only thing I'm concerned about would be the organization. Who would be in charge of something like this? Which charity would the gifts go to? There are thousands of charities out there which help kids during the holidays. I'm really thinking if you feel like donating something to a charity during the holidays, or any other time, just do it. I do love the idea of helping the needy, and I've always donated what I can to who I can, but I do think this would take a HUGE effort on someone's part to take this responsibility on, but if someone is up for the challenge, count me in. I'll donate whatever I can.

Otisbum
01-15-2008, 03:01 AM
@fugitive: I'm liking that idea too. We could get everyone on the site to sell a couple things and decide together which charity the proceeds will go to.

Jdm
01-15-2008, 03:10 AM
If you're going to do that, why not just have everyone sell their own items and just mail the money in to "anyone trustworthy". I'd hate to be the guy who had to sell all of the items that people sent in, but dang, their feedback would sky rocket.

This is a great idea guys. The only thing I'm concerned about would be the organization. Who would be in charge of something like this? Which charity would the gifts go to? There are thousands of charities out there which help kids during the holidays. I'm really thinking if you feel like donating something to a charity during the holidays, or any other time, just do it. I do love the idea of helping the needy, and I've always donated what I can to who I can, but I do think this would take a HUGE effort on someone's part to take this responsibility on, but if someone is up for the challenge, count me in. I'll donate whatever I can.

^^^I'm awaiting for one of the Admins. to voice their opinion on this great idea. I'm sure they have a way of organizing the charity events.

Krueger
01-15-2008, 03:33 AM
Sound like a cool idea you can have my PDZ any day you want.

MoonSka
01-15-2008, 04:06 AM
What about getting together with Child's Play? (http://www.childsplaycharity.org/)

It's early enough in the year to start talking to someone within the charity. Its well known, legitimate and is a game industry charity, so it would be a natural (I think) match with the website. I've donated to it several times in the past and I think that besides the exposure that we could generate for the site, its a great cause. Check out the link above if you're not familiar with it.

drno
01-15-2008, 05:00 AM
Which type of impoverished kids have a 360? Unless you're implying that we send them video games to eat... Also the games would probably have to be kept E rated. It sounds like a fine idea, just needs some sort of tweaking I guess.

highpass
01-15-2008, 05:06 AM
Which type of impoverished kids have a 360?

Nothing's stopping us sorting out an Arcade or two for such kids i 'spose... Whatever the weather the idea gets three thumbs up from me.

Bax x360a
01-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Same here HP, some sort of charity event is an awesome idea in my opinion. Not only would it get the x360a name out there, but also give help to those who need it. I'd be willing to donate items/money aswell, so i'll keep checking back to this thread to see whats going on.

PerpetualHeaven
01-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Nothing's stopping us sorting out an Arcade or two for such kids i 'spose... Whatever the weather the idea gets three thumbs up from me.

Yeah well, I give it four thumbs up! Ha! Beaten. :p Anyways, I think this is an excellent idea. Someone did suggest Child's Play and that sounds like an ideal charity to me. I mean we are a video gaming site, might as well contribute to a foundation that is revolved around video gaming.

Here is the site: http://www.childsplaycharity.org/

It looks to be basically our type of charity. We could always form some kind of contest and have virtual raffle tickets or something. The more tickets you buy the greatest the chance of winning. Raise some dough and also on top of that we could run some drive. Donate all the games you don't play anymore or something like that. Also, we should try and get on their sponsor list. Epic games is on there. Would make us really respected in the community.

zdarko43
01-15-2008, 01:58 PM
It looks to be basically our type of charity. We could always form some kind of contest and have virtual raffle tickets or something. The more tickets you buy the greatest the chance of winning. Raise some dough and also on top of that we could run some drive. Donate all the games you don't play anymore or something like that. Also, we should try and get on their sponsor list. Epic games is on there. Would make us really respected in the community.

Hey now, Anything Epic Games has their hands in must be good, right?? Count me in!!

Fund-Raising Raffle sounds like a great idea, not only everyone that purchases any tickets will proceed the profits to them, but they are also entered to win something nice for themselves. :)

Besides, I work with about 1000 gamers on a normal day to day basis. I may be able to put up some fliers or send out some emails and see if somehow I couldn't get more people involved.

Just all ideas to go off from. I'm kinda anxious to see what the determined results would be. :)

Ingles
01-15-2008, 02:49 PM
I think this sounds like a terrific idea! I'd be willing to donate a lot of items as well (games, accessories, clothing, shoes, etc...). Year round I try and donate and help out local organizations in my community and in other communities as well. This would be HUGE for this website if we could get something organized.

Depending on how much we raised, we wouldn't really have to limit ourselves to only donating to one organization but perhaps two or three trusted charitable organizations. Once the admins review this idea, we should start generating a list of acceptable items to be donated.

fatces
01-15-2008, 03:43 PM
sounds like a great idea, but we are gonna need a good organization to pull this off, but i think its very doable.

great idea rogue ;)

Minty
01-15-2008, 03:57 PM
I really like this idea. And I think that rather than us just doing a gaming night or something similar, we could actually organise something pretty cool.

Let me discuss it with some people ;)

The Pants Party
01-15-2008, 04:00 PM
This idea is amazing. I live very close to Children's Hospital in Detroit which is a part of Child's Play, and my daughter has had one surgery done by a doctor there while she was still in the NICU in St. Joe's Ann Arbor and one done down there after she was released from the hospital, so I know those people are quite amazing.

I for one would definitely like to be a part of getting this organized. Child's Play and Toys for Tots are two of the best children's charities out there (meaning the organizers take the least % for their "operational costs" -- unlike some "charities" that take up to 50% for themselves), so those are both great choices.

One thing that immediately came to mind was custom x360a merchandise (hand-painted faceplates, custom t-shirts, etc.) that we could auction off and donate the money. I'm sure the graphics team could whip up some stuff or some of the more talented artists could buy some blank plates to decorate.

Minty
01-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Just a quick update- thanks mainly to Creechy and Pants, we have sent out feelers. We will let you know when we have some more news.

And have given xRogue 5x his bright idea award as well :)

xRogue 5x
01-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks guys, it is truly an honor to belong to this community. I can't wait to see this unfold and get a chance to help some people out.

The Pants Party
01-15-2008, 05:06 PM
This is now in full motion. Minty, Creech and I will make it our baby. Come Xmas (and before, and after), we'll have some things that should really get people involved and helping out.

Mr Arrow
01-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Thanks guys, it is truly an honor to belong to this community. I can't wait to see this unfold and get a chance to help some people out.

Thank you for coming here with this GREAT idea. It really is part of what continues to make this the GREATEST achievement community on the planet.

zdarko43
01-15-2008, 06:00 PM
This is now in full motion. Minty, Creech and I will make it our baby. Come Xmas (and before, and after), we'll have some things that should really get people involved and helping out.

Pants - If there is anything I can do to help, don't hesitate I would be more than happy to do what I can! :woop:

Otisbum
01-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Q. Can I send you my old Super Nintendo?
A. Unfortunately, we can’t donate used items directly to the hospitals. However, we’re a registered eBay Giving Works charity, you can sell items on eBay and have the proceeds benefit Child’s Play! When you begin the listing process, there is an option when you’re setting the price to select a non-profit to benefit. A simple search for "Child’s Play" will turn us up. eBay will ask you to register for a MissionFish account, but it’s straight forward. You’ll need a credit card to complete the process. Please read through eBay’s Giving Works website for more information at http://givingworks.ebay.com (http://givingworks.ebay.com/), so you that understand how you will be billed when the item is sold. You could sell pretty much anything to help sick kids!

This could work. :)

MoonSka
12-06-2008, 05:32 AM
So did anything ever come of this? The only reason I bring up such an old thread is that as I was making my donation to Child's Play this year, I suddenly remembered that something was supposed to happen here too. I searched for some information about an event or some other such way that we could donate to a charity through x360a, though I admit that I could have missed it.

Brominos
01-25-2009, 02:34 AM
Yeah so how did this go?

tatova2130
01-25-2009, 06:40 AM
Maybe it;s not too important, but, how about an option to change the site's language? ex. Spanish

narcolepticshee
01-25-2009, 07:42 AM
Maybe it;s not too important, but, how about an option to change the site's language? ex. Spanish

Where on EARTH did that come from?

But yeh, is this still going on or was it just a christmas thing :S?

Peace

EDIT: My bad, just noticed this was started in January...

tatova2130
01-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Where on EARTH did that come from?

But yeh, is this still going on or was it just a christmas thing :S?

Peace

EDIT: My bad, just noticed this was started in January...
I didn't mean to change it period bro, I meant to have an option that says; ex. (language) and the user be able to view the important parts of the site in spanish. I say this because I have a LOT of friends that like these kind of sites, but are unable to understand the language, because they're not bilingual. If it's such a bad idea then ignore it, it was JUST a suggestion, OK?