PDA

View Full Version : Problem finishing games

kornfan2007
01-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Had a search but couldn't find a post on it. Since Christmas I have got about 12 new games and therefore a lot of choice on what to play, but I am finding it more and more difficult to get into the games. Games like Bioshock and Mass Effect. I get a bit through them and then decide to switch games. A few games have kept my interest for longer, but I know with the hype of some games I feel I should be more into them.

Mass Effect is an example. I have played through to the first achievement in one sitting and then got a bit bored and not touched it again. The game has a big hype and everyone seems to love it. I love KotoR and other games like it so don't know why I am having trouble sticking to it.

Has anyone had this problem with games and did you find a method of getting through them more or is it just a case of playing through the boredom in a hope it gets better (Not slating Mass Effect Im sure its great)?

Cpl MattBlack
01-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Maybe (in Mass Effect's case) you don't want to go on because you're given too much choice or whatever. I lent out Mass Effect to a mate and he returned it next day saying he didn't want to miss anything out. (which was pretty stupid). I guess most people are motivated by gamerscore and want to complete a game however terrible it is just to earn those extra 50 points. I assume you take a more casual approach to gamerscore. I'd say try it again even if you don't want to and see what happens. You might not be able to put it down or you might get bored again. Just because the majority of people love the game doesn't mean you have to as well.

Another theory is that because you've got 12 new games you want alot of gamerscore and you want it quick. Mass Effect takes quite a long time to get a decent amount. But yeah, since you've got all flags on Assassin's Creed you obviously don't have a short attention span so i'd say try it again. Gogogogo. :)

sam49
01-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Wow! 12 games! your not going to finish that many games for many years to come.

Bax x360a
01-15-2008, 05:04 PM
I have the same problem KornFan, I just simply have too many games and can't decide what to play, and therefore sometimes don't play at all! But I seem to get bored of most games before I complete them, and therefore move on to another. The problem with this though is the game I've left is likely to have a crap gamerscore.

Pez
01-15-2008, 05:08 PM
I've got the exact same problem as you Baxter; I get bored before finishing a game and eventually don't finish. It sucks, but I suppose it's just a bad habit.

I may have a fairly high Gamerscore, but my completion rate is awful. I've played plenty of games and not really finished them achievement-wise. :(

Shinobi273
01-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Well in Mass Effect's case, have you been listening to/reading all the dialogue? It does slowly pull you in, toward the end I was getting goosebumps. The gunbattles are just filler so that you have a game instead of all story. Are you choosing the actions that you feel like taking? Like the guy in the beginning was kind of creepy, did you feel like KOing him? Did you?

The immersion in this game is actually roleplaying the character.

LegendBoy
01-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Same thing happened to me, I've got Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, Eternal Sonata, Guitar Hero 3, Call of Duty 4, Bioshock and Pro Evo 2008 on the go at the mo.

Luckily for me I'd been playing PES2008 and COD4 since their release so they weren't demanding my attention so much. I knew I could hop in and out of GH3 so used that as my casual game and only played it in short bursts or when my girlfriend came over. So that left Mass Effect,Assassins Creed,Eternal Sonata and Bioshock.

I picked one game and focused on that for about a week. That game happened to be Assassins Creed. I got quite far into it (about 5 assassinations in) so I knew all about the story, game mechanics and had collected about half the achievements. Then I turned my attention to Mass Effect which I hadn't even opened up until this point. I'm playing that at the moment, enjoying it as if I have no other games to play, thus not rushing to play the rest. Because I haven't opened the other two, I've not sampled any of their gaming goodness, so I'm not yet hooked on them.

This is probably what I recommend doing, just enjoy each game one at a time. This would have been especially appropriate last year when we had a game drought in the new year. Unfortunately for you we've got Devil May Cry 4, Lost Odyssey, Brothers in Arms, Turning Point and GTA4 (hopefully!) just around the corner!

kornfan2007
01-15-2008, 05:26 PM
But yeah, since you've got all flags on Assassin's Creed you obviously don't have a short attention span so i'd say try it again. Gogogogo. :)

The Flags were all because a friend who has a much bigger gamerscore said he was gonna catch me on assassins creed so I pushed to complete it first.

I have been following the story in mass effect. Will need to devote some more time to it and try to get into it.

I am casual but love achievements. I just dont whore for them

MartiniKiss
01-15-2008, 05:48 PM
i had this problem when i started over with my gamertag i just kinda worked my way through one game and set a certain point limit to get to and then go to a new game and just switch back and fourth :)

Lord Chabelo
01-15-2008, 06:33 PM
Just taje one game at a time. I have about 10 games, still in shrink wrap (3 for the original xbox) but I am taking it one game at a time. I have stopped renting games and I will only buy new stuff if its something I must have (GTA IV or Force Unleashed, or a killer sale)

Sanction
01-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Just play through each game until you complete it, that's what I do. I didn't start Assassin's Creed until I finished the campaign in Call of Duty 4. :)

And right now I'm going to start Amped 3 and not play anything else, except for CoD4 since I'm in the clan. :p

S1D1OUS
01-15-2008, 07:10 PM
I have this problem as well. I just got to many games to play! I keep finding bargains and buy them when i see them. I must stop or i wont be able to afford any new games coming out!

Slarak
01-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Yeah same prob here, got Mass Effect, Ace Combat 6, Guitar Hero 3, and Dynasty Warriors Gundam. Problem I'm running into is keeping to one game for more than 2 days. Whenever I feel a hint of boredom my mind just wants to switch games.

As for your Mass Effect problem, I had the same problem for the first couple of hours. The game is alot slower to get into the good stuff than KotoR was. I assure you though once you get off of the Citadel you will see why the game is getting such great reviews.

Just a quick suggestion. Try to have your first character either be completely good or evil, noth both. Also having points into either Charm or Intimidate is actually a GOOD thing in this game.

Drop me a msg if you need any help with the game. I recently picked up the strat guide and that thing cleared up alot of questions for me.

Kazdan
01-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Not many days ago, I had problems finishing Oblivion. I don't know why, since its my favourite game on 360. I bought the Shivering Isles so I could get the 1250 from this game. When I was playing through the Shivering Isles' Main Quest, I thought all the time: "Isn't this over already." Weird.

zlionsfan
01-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Interesting ... I'm currently in the Shivering Isles, and I kind of feel like "I need to get this done," but it's more because I just came up with another possible custom class that I think will work better than my current one, so I want to go back and play another character from the start.

I do some whoring and some playing-just-to-play. In either case, I have a short list of things I want to knock out when I get a chance, like Endless Mode on Bejeweled 2. When I don't really feel like playing anything else, I'll put time into one of those (alternatively, I'll get a new game from GameFly and start on that). For the most part, I play whatever I feel like playing. Sometimes it'll be the same game for weeks, other times it'll be multiple games in one day.

Playing for score, it probably makes more sense to have a list to "work on" when you get distracted. For fun, it may just be that you're not at a point in any of those games where you're really enjoying yourself. (I do agree that the number of games contributes to it. I think you're more likely to focus when you only have a couple of new games to explore.)

Crusher524
01-16-2008, 02:22 AM
This was an old problem of mine, but with the rise in prices I figured it would be better to beat a game then buy or start a new game. Granted I broke this rule with Assassin's Creed, only on the 7th assassination, but still. I think it happens to everyone.