PDA

View Full Version : mIRC

Matt9340
01-16-2008, 09:29 PM
I know you guys had just closed a topic concerning a chat room system but I was thinking about this today. But just hear me out before you close this.

Im not sure if you guys know what mIRC is. It is a big chat room service basically. You can set all kinds of features to each room (passwords so only x360a people can enter the room, language detector to kick anyone that uses vulgar language if we want to keep it more family friendly). there are even OP's that are in the channels to help keep things under control and you can create rooms to suit your needs and describe them for people looking for it.

This is a separate program that needs to be downloaded by the users. There can even be a separate server system for us exclusively to be used. (now im not sure if the company can set this up for us or not) The program is free for anyone to use (now for the server i'm not sure of the cost)

The reason i brought this up is to not move people away from the forums but to bring people together a little bit easier for Achievement Trading (its in real time so you dont have to wait for a response from people) and also it would be really good to use for the new Clans as it will be alot easier to pull things together.

I am willing to help with this if it is considered. I am also willing to help in the channels since i have had experience with the program (i have used it for a web-based game with clans in it).

What do you guys think? It is just an Idea that popped into my head this afternoon while in class.

TheUltimateRush
01-16-2008, 09:47 PM
i do think its a good idea, it requires research for a free server with a free chat room as well. But like others said it can take people away from the forums but it doesn't bother me at all as long its the same people from this site

killlah631
01-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Yeah I have used mIRC a lot, it is a great program, I would vote for it and help out, as I also know how to work with it.

Matt9340
01-16-2008, 10:07 PM
i do think its a good idea, it requires research for a free server with a free chat room as well. But like others said it can take people away from the forums but it doesn't bother me at all as long its the same people from this site

I believe the company that runs mIRC has all the stuff they need. Its a server in name only i do believe. Its mostly just so you have your own private section to make what ever rooms you need to. Where you have to know the exact address to put in order to access those rooms. So that way someone that just jumps on the main one wont be able to access it unless they actually know the address. Its sorta hard to explain

infradude
01-16-2008, 10:27 PM
I don't like mIRC very much but if the staff likes it I say go for it. It just gets kind of annoying how theres no sound to tell you when someone types in a message. You just have to keep looking at it until you see text pop up silently. My opionin would be a teamspeak or ventrillo server but do whatever you guys want. Then again both mIRC and teamspeak or ventrillo are just suggestions.

Theres also already a thread about mIRC...http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52419

x360a = Family site, modded to make sure it stays that way

IRC = Unmodded, or has to be manned 24/7 to protect the clean cut family image the site has.

IRC also = A great way for the site to get in some trouble

Matt9340
01-16-2008, 10:36 PM
I understand this is a family site..but with mIRC (its an irc client that has a ton of features to it) you can block and even ban people from channels. Like i said in my main post, you can have a setting to ban anyone that uses vulgar language. You can also set a password that only members of this site know to protect the channel. Thats why i also brought up the mention of the separate channel list thing (server-type...i forget what its called). If one of them is set up (i think you can through mIRC not sure though) you have to know that address to access any of the channels for the site. If you make it on just the normal access anyone will be able to come into the channels and what not.

The channels do not need to be monitored 24/7. There are bots designed to do that for you. They control the banning of people the setting of ops and everything else needed to run the room.

SteakSalad
01-16-2008, 10:48 PM
I used to use irc a lot back in the day, I didn't know people even still got on..

n1n3t33nd3lta
01-16-2008, 11:07 PM
I'd say the Admin/Staff aren't going to go for the idea, mostly because they can't afford their own server, and I don't blame them.

Pez
01-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Yeah, it's not a bad idea or anything, but like Minty said to me, there's more important things we could be doing with the bandwidth we have left. :)

Matt9340
01-16-2008, 11:22 PM
I know that but, thats only if you want to have a separate channel list than all of the others.(but im not even sure if you have to pay for that) Other than that its completely free. i could go on there now and create a channel no charge. So there would be no charge to the site for using it at all.

I was thinking this manly for the clans as an easy way to talk to each other rather than doing it solely on the forums and use the forums as a way to confirm everything and for the people that cant download the program.

*edit*
Guys....this does NOT run off of the site. It is a completely different program and is completely separate from the forums. There would be in no way possible for the site to lose bandwidth because of this since there is nothing to do on the site except to get the information on how to reach the channels

n1n3t33nd3lta
01-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Yes, but how are we to control what's said on there? What if some moron gets on there running his mouth about this and that and scares away a few members? It's based on the same principle as the IM on the site, someone would have to monitor it 24/7 since this is a family based site. If we had our own server on IRC, it would be ok, because we could control what was said and all that, but that costs money, and I'm sure they have better things to spend their money on for the site than a server for IRC.

Pez
01-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Sorry for misunderstanding you.

Anyways, the admins have never been too keen on running things off-site. ;)

Webb
01-16-2008, 11:30 PM
I haven't read every little thing but I got the jist...

Basically...

Chatrooms have to be constantly monitored (too expensive)
It would detract from the forums and forum usage would surely go down
It would detract away from the community
Information on the forums is permanent, so people can search for answers with easeI think that answers the question :p

Matt9340
01-16-2008, 11:30 PM
I dont know if you have to pay to get your own separate channel listing or not. But you can bring a bot into the room and have it ban people for certain things like vulgar language...etc. set passwords so only members have access to it. (you could do something to where you have to be here for so long to gain access to the channel. )

as i said before it came to me more for the clans than the full site.

n1n3t33nd3lta
01-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Lord Webb, I think the member that started this thread got his answer, do I hear the sound of a lock?