PDA

View Full Version : New payment option

rhyan5
01-18-2008, 05:14 AM
I have seen this way used on many other sites. You text a number from your cell phone and it charges your phone bill, then you enter a code and get credit for paying the website. It would really help the younger users of this site be able to donate/subscribe without having to use a credit card. To tell the truth I haven't the slightest idea on how you could add this to your site or set up the billing from phone, but if you are interested, I could research it.

Marx0r
01-18-2008, 05:25 AM
You... don't need a credit card?

I have a Platnium subscription, and no credit card has ever been involved in the equation. Just get money on a Paypal account.

Plus, I think a lot of these things are country-specific, that is, US only or UK only. Routine, the owner, lives in Norway with about 5 other people.:p That would mean he'd have to go through some MAJOR red tape to get anything like this set up.

PerpetualHeaven
01-18-2008, 05:37 AM
You... don't need a credit card?

I have a Platnium subscription, and no credit card has ever been involved in the equation. Just get money on a Paypal account.

Plus, I think a lot of these things are country-specific, that is, US only or UK only. Routine, the owner, lives in Norway with about 5 other people.:p That would mean he'd have to go through some MAJOR red tape to get anything like this set up.

Well Paypal still requires either a credit card or you inputting your bank information. :p

Marx0r
01-18-2008, 05:48 AM
No it doesn't. I sold some things on ebay, made an account without ever attaching a bank account to it, and started subscribing. Subsequently, I have verified my account with my mother's checking account, but I didn't need to do that.

What you could also do is go to CVS or something and buy a $25 prepaid Mastercard, or whatever.

XboxFreak36
01-18-2008, 06:13 AM
I never heard of a $25 master card. My dad have a master card but here won't let me use it for donating. Were can i get a paypal??

Marx0r
01-18-2008, 06:16 AM
Paypal is at www.paypal.com (http://www.paypal.com). It's basically an online debit account.

These prepaid cards are at most convenience stores. You pay them whatever amount of money, and you get essentially a gift card that can be use online, or anywhere that particular credit card is available. If you get one for Visa or Mastercard, you can just plug it into the donate thing.

PerpetualHeaven
01-18-2008, 06:18 AM
No it doesn't. I sold some things on ebay, made an account without ever attaching a bank account to it, and started subscribing. Subsequently, I have verified my account with my mother's checking account, but I didn't need to do that.

What you could also do is go to CVS or something and buy a $25 prepaid Mastercard, or whatever.

That's your paypal balance. Not everyone is going to make money off of eBay, so they would need to attach bank or credit card information. Either that, or they can transfer funds from their bank to their paypal account. I'm going to assume that if you didn't make any money on eBay, you wouldn't be able to pay for the monthly subscription unless you did set up your bank information.

Marx0r
01-18-2008, 06:23 AM
That's your paypal balance. Not everyone is going to make money off of eBay, so they would need to attach bank or credit card information. Either that, or they can transfer funds from their bank to their paypal account. I'm going to assume that if you didn't make any money on eBay, you wouldn't be able to pay for the monthly subscription unless you did set up your bank information.

You could use a prepaid card, and I think there's a few other methods. My point is, if you don't have a credit card, you can still donate.

XboxFreak36
01-18-2008, 06:44 AM
Paypal is at www.paypal.com (http://www.paypal.com). It's basically an online debit account.

These prepaid cards are at most convenience stores. You pay them whatever amount of money, and you get essentially a gift card that can be use online, or anywhere that particular credit card is available. If you get one for Visa or Mastercard, you can just plug it into the donate thing.
thank you! I'll check the site later to day, I'm on my ipod touch now and im studying for my exam!:/

-=]Freak[=-

HoodMod
01-18-2008, 06:46 AM
I'll look for out for prepaid cards - I'd like to donate.

Fonkey Monkey
01-18-2008, 06:47 AM
i tried to donate with a prepaid mastercard, it didnt work.... luckily i have a bank account and a credit card.

HoodMod
01-18-2008, 06:48 AM
i tried to donate with a prepaid mastercard, it didnt work.... luckily i have a bank account and a credit card.

Damn that sucks. So it doesn't work at all? Does the type matter?

Marx0r
01-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Well, I have gotten subscriptions for... certain sites... going on $5 prepaids. Fonkey, what kind of card were you using?

rhyan5
01-19-2008, 12:01 AM
I see this is getting a bit off topic. Does anyone think this might be helpful?

Shinobi273
01-19-2008, 12:08 AM
I see this is getting a bit off topic. Does anyone think this might be helpful?

No, I can't see this being helpful because your cell phone would be paid by credit card anyway. The site and donating member would lose due to any fees associated with phone donating. The pre-paid credit card discussion was quite helpful though. Those are the optimal way to one-time buy online so there is no risk of getting over charged or getting your credit stolen. If we could figure out what pre-paid cards would work for the site, it would be helpful.

Minty
01-19-2008, 12:12 AM
These things are a pain in the ass to set up, and arent that great anyway. Plus, the only people that use these tend to be those under 18. The phones tend to be registered in their parents name- then when the parents notice it on the bill, they phone customer services who tell them who the site was.

Then they come to us and give us shit. So, no basically :p