PDA

View Full Version : America's Army Saves a life!

Darth Odan
01-18-2008, 02:47 PM
It's the stuff press releases are made of, but the story is great to boot. Paxton Galvanek never had medical training, but he'd gone through medic certification in the America's Army video game. Then one November night as he drove down the highway with his family, he watched as an SUV flipped multiple times in the opposite lane.

As his wife called 911, Galvanek pulled two injured passengers from the truck, assessed their wounds, and properly prioritized/administered treatment (direct pressure and elevation) to one of the accident's more brutal injuries, a mutilated hand. In short, he did things just as he should have in a circumstance that could have ended even worse. And yes, Galvanek thanks his training in a video game for his performance under pressurehttp://kotaku.com/346176/americas-army-player-saves-real-life

Razzle Edit: Added a small quote so people don't have to click the link to see the article.

Netnabi4
01-18-2008, 02:52 PM
http://kotaku.com/346176/americas-army-player-saves-real-life

Wow nice find. Really funny too. What I want to see is something like this related to GTA. That would be awesome.

Asian47
01-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Wow nice find. Really funny too. What I want to see is something like this related to GTA. That would be awesome.

I doubt that would happen. Even if it did, people are gonna focus on what makes it a "evil" game.

Sanction
01-18-2008, 07:34 PM
I don't find that hard to believe at all, the game was developed by the Army and the tests in that game are somewhat real (and in this case life saving).

And anyone know Jack Thompsons address? I'd like to mail him this story gift wrapped.

n1n3t33nd3lta
01-18-2008, 07:45 PM
This is a great story. The worst part of CLS(Combat Life Saver, the shit he did on the video game) is administering an IV and a Saline Lock. It really sucks when your partner can't aim for shit.

Zee
01-19-2008, 02:20 AM
AA had like a 30 minute course on how to attend to what wounds and how. Then you had a quiz on it. So its not hard to believe.

razzleson
01-19-2008, 02:27 AM
That's actually a really cool story. Regardless on if it changes anything in the evils of the video game world, it's a great story.

Now if only we could be attacked by human-like monsters from underground you'd be reading an article about me.

DoM cAbAn
01-19-2008, 03:33 AM
That's really neat. I haven't played the recent America's Army game, but if it helped this guy save someone, then the game must be really detailed in its course. That's just great.

lgsbgruntmaster
01-19-2008, 03:37 AM
Wow... Now that inspires me to go get that game! Goodbye off to Gamecrazy I go!

artvandel4y
01-19-2008, 05:23 AM
The one productive thing that game has done. That game was the best recruitment tool the Army can come up with? Our tax dollars at work...
But that is a cool story.