PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Money System

TheUltimateRush
01-20-2008, 01:19 PM
i had this idea because i use to work on sidewalkgfx.tk as sig designer, and i gave them the idea to do that, and it was implemented *The website closed due lack of staff there* well anyway, this encourages people to post in threads and help each other etc. This is how it worked on that website, for every post u make, u get $10, this you would accumulate over the times you have posted. Then you would use as money like to request for a sig you would need $100 bearing in mind that means you need to have 10 posts, and to like have a avatar and sig it be $150, so that means you would need to post at least 15. Do you understand what I mean?, you could use this system for many things and stop people just leaving the site after they got what they want, because would have to contribute to site in some way, the scripting for this aint that hard, i might be able to get it if your still interested, Thanks for reading and look forward to ya comments.

I rush3y I =)

SkillfulMmd
01-20-2008, 01:31 PM
good idea. but 1 problem this could cause a lot of junk mail.

TheUltimateRush
01-20-2008, 01:41 PM
you are right it could, then can be incentives also the warned, we also had a warning system, but too much to talk about that

Cold Rival
01-20-2008, 01:54 PM
It's a good idea. This is implemented over at the CoD4 boards too, and it seems to work well. It's basically like you get points (in your example, in the form of "money") and you can use those points to unlock things on the forums. But as Skillful says, it would encourage people to post just for the sake of gaining this "money", rather than putting some kind of valuable input into topics.

Digilearner
01-20-2008, 02:08 PM
You gotta take the good with the bad. I do like the idea (yeah, I'm kinda nooby to the forums, but I don't spam :/)

Zef
01-20-2008, 02:47 PM
This wouldn't stop people coming, getting sigs/whatever, then pissing off somewhere else. It just makes spamming to get the needed posts more likely before they piss off. If someone here wants to makes sigs for someone then it is their choice whether to do so or not, adding the virtual currency isn't really necessary for that plus there isn't a whole lot else that one would need virtual cash for here.

SkillfulMmd
01-20-2008, 04:17 PM
you could rate the post for example if a someone posts a stupid thread was posted then you get money taken off you and depending on the grammer (thats me screwed) and other stuff like that. will control the money

J O 12 D
01-20-2008, 04:39 PM
you could rate the post for example if a someone posts a stupid thread was posted then you get money taken off you and depending on the grammer (thats me screwed) and other stuff like that. will control the money

Sorry but i'd never go through every spam post this site has just to affect someones virtual money.
Also it would take a lot of work for people to take away money people had spend etc.
Good idea but not really needed at all.

calzord
01-20-2008, 05:36 PM
This is un-necessary this site is super active and usful. everybody wants to help each other and if people want to make sigs they can. also spaming would go trought the roof and many people have thousands of posts what would they get a cat? sorry on being so negative. i just dont like it much. money corupts, virtual mone, spams.

x McGrim x
01-20-2008, 05:55 PM
No. It almost always devolves into mindless spam, and a competition to see who can get the most points.

soccerplaya13cj
01-20-2008, 06:13 PM
On the newer invision boards you can buy stuff with the money like mystery gift which comes in your inventory, change name color, change description by avatar, change forum name, change other people name colors or words by avatar, etc. If you changed someone elses it would be temporary and would need limtations, but it could get fun.

Zef
01-20-2008, 06:37 PM
On the newer invision boards you can buy stuff with the money like mystery gift which comes in your inventory, change name color, change description by avatar, change forum name, change other people name colors or words by avatar, etc. If you changed someone elses it would be temporary and would need limtations, but it could get fun.

If you want those then become a Subscriber, help the site out with running costs and admin plastic surgery bills and get access to the pseudo red room that is called the subscriber forums.

Laufton_13
01-22-2008, 12:57 AM
I hate sites that do that I mean is it to much to ask to just change my signature when I want to? If anything it would encourage people to leave because it would take so long to just change those basic things.

RogueVasion
01-22-2008, 04:06 PM
No. It almost always devolves into mindless spam, and a competition to see who can get the most points.

Exactly. We'll have stupid posts and alot of arguing, double posts, etc.

It's a good idea, but not so good for the long term advantages/disadvantages.

Odiumruse
01-23-2008, 12:28 PM
I've seen it done one time, where it wa sa formula. Posts x content. So if someone just posts lol, they get minus, if it's a huge article, they get plus .5 or something, that worked, but when it's just per post, seen it lead to problems often.

vhayste
01-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Or many people will post short responses like this.

Well, I know some sites that implement that and it was littered with really mindless and generic comments. I like the current system so far...

Minty
01-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Im of the opinion.... If it ain't broke, it's not a Ford. I mean don't fix it :p

killlah631
01-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Im of the opinion.... If it ain't broke, it's not a Ford. I mean don't fix it :p

Haha yeah...I agree though, our boards are so active as it is...People shouldn't need an incentive to post, that takes away from the community in my opinion..People should only post if they want to, post to help, post to get help, post if something is interesting...not to just up your post count to get an award or to get virtual money, etc.

Vista
01-23-2008, 04:59 PM
I say there is a money system that goes like this:

Submit a guide-25 points
Submit a review-25 points
Get an award-10-100 (varies on award)
Make a good thread/stickied thread-15 points
etc...

It is a good idea. speaking there is new x360a T-shirts and stuff coming out as I have heard. Rewards could be apparel, signatures, contests could cost money to enter etc...

zlionsfan
01-23-2008, 05:54 PM
I say there is a money system that goes like this:

Submit a guide-25 points
Submit a review-25 points
Get an award-10-100 (varies on award)
Make a good thread/stickied thread-15 points
etc...

It is a good idea. speaking there is new x360a T-shirts and stuff coming out as I have heard. Rewards could be apparel, signatures, contests could cost money to enter etc...
Whether it is strictly volume or volume and quality, I'm not sure it would add enough value to the site to counter the overhead for the admins and the spam in the forums it would generate. Even bonuses for guides would end up with people submitting things like this:

sharp shooter Kill all ships on the first 3 bonus levels. 10 gs
well duh you just kill all the ships
Exploring Uranus Make it to Uranus 10 gs
make it to uranus huh huh he said, anus

And then people would complain that they didn't get points/dollars/whatever for their "guides".

It might also add a sense of entitlement: people might feel that they were "owed" a custom sig once they saved up their $100 or whatever.

I think that there are a number of features that are available in the current system that match some suggestions that have been made here. A virtual currency system might work well on some sites, and it is a good idea in the right context, but I'm not sure it's the best solution here.

Justicezero
01-23-2008, 06:13 PM
I think the main point of this post and everything in the Feedback section are people trying to give some suggestions to how to improve the site. I think they wouldn't post the ideas if they didn't care about the site. I think it's a good idea but with this site everything that the readers/users need is supplied by the other readers/users and admins without the need for a pay system. But I think it's a noble suggestion and think we should remember that people are just trying to help and spread new ideas to our community. Thanks for reading....now where's my 10$?!?!! =P

JesusBread
01-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Since this is X360A.org, why not get Gamer Score for your posts? It all depends on how long they are.

<50 character post = 1 point
50 character post = 5 points
51-150 = 10 points
151+ = 15 points

Something like that. This way it'll measure how much you contribute to the community here. Lots of posts+little points = most likely a spammer. Lots of posts+lots of points=most likely a lot of help on the forums.

Blackjaw x
01-23-2008, 10:51 PM
It is good in theory, but it would end up being a bad idea. We only really have 5 people right now who post useless things every 10 seconds, but if this was implemented we would have far more. Everyone on here is addicted to collecting as much gamerscore as they can, so they'd become addicted to collecting as much of this virtual money as they can as well. More posts = more bandwidth wasted, thus the site costing more.

Minty
01-24-2008, 01:01 AM
I really dont see one benefit to this system when we have a great community already. Over complicating things isnt needed

Way Fast CBR
01-24-2008, 04:50 AM
I really dont see one benefit to this system when we have a great community already. Over complicating things isnt needed

i totally agree, this site has the best comunity i have been a part of. like everyone has said, that would just encourage spam posts.

RogueVasion
01-24-2008, 05:01 AM
i totally agree, this site has the best comunity i have been a part of. like everyone has said, that would just encourage spam posts.

Yup and the site is pretty well set where it is. It's an interesting idea, like I said before, but just not good for the long term effects: spam, unused accounts, hectic issues, etc.

run ita charlie
01-24-2008, 05:24 AM
its a good idea, but i'm going to have to say no way to this one. All this will inspire is an incredible amount of spam.