PDA

View Full Version : Don't Allow Guides To Be Copied..

Ice2Dragon
06-25-2006, 06:37 AM
I was strolling through at least 3 xbox achievement sites..

3 of them (at least) had my guide posted..

And I didn't receive credit for it.. they copy, pasted, and removed my name.

Make it so people can't copy eachother's guides..

Plagurism -_-V

Luckily the sites removed it after I threatened legal action.

Im assuming theres no way to make the guides non copied and pasted is there?

Waaaaaaaak
06-25-2006, 11:05 AM
I think what you're asking of the site is impossible, although I may be wrong.

If you are really bothered about people not copying them, I can only think of one way of doing it:

Write a guide in word or something, then copy each page (using print screen button). Paste these screens into paint, save them and upload to photobucket (or a similar site).

Next, link the images of your guide into the site, and they should be impossible to copy and paste.

eg.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i94/lhurren/guidetest.jpg

May look a bit crappy though, not sure the admin will like it.

L3giOn
06-25-2006, 02:12 PM
You can still copy and paste that...Maybe when you write the guide, at the end put what sites are allowed to use it.

Waaaaaaaak
06-25-2006, 02:23 PM
Can you?

Do you mean the picture, or can you select the text too?

Krazie
06-25-2006, 03:58 PM
You can still copy and paste that...Maybe when you write the guide, at the end put what sites are allowed to use it.

Yea, but it'd still have his name on it, which would still give him credit

L3giOn
06-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Yea, but it'd still have his name on it, which would still give him credit

That's true, because you have to copy the entire thing.
But then again, they could paste it onto MS Word and take the credit out. Or just re-write it. I think the only way to stop this would be a copyright.

Webb
06-25-2006, 04:39 PM
The simple fact is that it's near impossible to copyright something on the internet due to the anonymity of the users using the material.

The Perfect Gun
06-25-2006, 04:57 PM
I was strolling through at least 3 xbox achievement sites..

3 of them (at least) had my guide posted..

And I didn't receive credit for it.. they copy, pasted, and removed my name.

Make it so people can't copy eachother's guides..

Plagurism -_-V

Luckily the sites removed it after I threatened legal action.

Im assuming theres no way to make the guides non copied and pasted is there?

Are your stuff copyright? I didn't think so. It is not illegal for them. ;)

Waaaaaaaak
06-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Are your stuff copyright? I didn't think so. It is not illegal for them. ;)

That's a good point *gasp*

(Shame about the grammar)

KilluhKam
06-26-2006, 01:19 AM
another thing they can do is make it to where you have to be a member with a certain post count (otherwise people would just join to copy the guide) to see the achievement guides, that way you'll know if its someone from here thats giving people's guides to other sites.

Ice2Dragon
06-26-2006, 02:29 AM
I think thats a great idea... ^_^

The fact ANYONE can view them is a bit.. plagurific!

I like how the guides are posted and all, but the fact anyone from any other site can just view the site, copy and past the guides onto his/her site is a bit scary -_-V

Helacool360
06-26-2006, 02:33 AM
another thing they can do is make it to where you have to be a member with a certain post count (otherwise people would just join to copy the guide) to see the achievement guides, that way you'll know if its someone from here thats giving people's guides to other sites.

Yea I like this idea.

xI Shorty Ix
06-26-2006, 02:58 AM
there may be a problems with that.

if your need to have so many posts 2 see guides new members will be spamming to get there posts up or asking questions that the guides will answer

Waaaaaaaak
06-26-2006, 06:47 PM

Never gonna work. There's no way someone wanting help with a game is gonna submit a certain number of posts, on the off chance that the site has the answer(s) they're looking for.

Also, don't we want to encourage new members to join the site?

If someone finds what they're looking for on the site, they'll be more likely to return and participate in the future. If they're welcomed by loads of rules, they'll go elsewhere.

Webb
06-26-2006, 07:09 PM
there may be a problems with that.

if your need to have so many posts 2 see guides new members will be spamming to get there posts up or asking questions that the guides will answer

Couldn't have put it better myself :D

And then things would kick off again!!!

:uzi::uzi::uzi: SPAMMERS!!!!!!

Oryan
06-26-2006, 10:59 PM
Easy way to get around this is...

Either...

PDF's with subtle watermarkings

or

Video Achievements with watermarkings and a nice x360a intro... like umm this
http://media.putfile.com/X360A-Intro---1-iOryancom-Productions

:P

-Oryan

Webb
06-26-2006, 11:01 PM
Easy way to get around this is...

Either...

PDF's with subtle watermarkings

I was thinking exactly this, but was trying to think of a way that wouldn't affect the readability (not sure if it's a word... It is now :p)

Maybe the site address in the background repeated as a watermark. Just a thought.

CrazyCougar
06-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Unfortuantely, plagerism is rampant on the internet. As stated above, there really is no way to stop it and if its not actually copyrighted there isnt a damn thing anyone can do about it. Sure you can rant and rave, but to threaten legal action to someone who knows better would be just a waste of words.

Even a copyrighted item on the internet can be plagerized. All they have to do is change something around in the content and voila its original content. Again, its an unfortunate circumstance that surfaces constantly in the wide world web. As a webmaster myself, I have run into MANY instances and just had to grit my teeth, bitch a little, and then move on.

Its really all about coutresy more than anything. Nothing wrong with copying and pasting as long as credit is given where its due. But unfortuantely, some people like to take credit for things they didnt do. I copy and paste things, but always make mention of where it came from either by link or mention. And there are many others that do the same thing. But the bad guys (plagerizers) seem to get more recognition than the good guys in these instances.

As stated, you can watermark things in .PDF format or even photoshop. But again, someone who really wants to copy and paste that information will find a way around it. Just take 2 aspirin and move on, because you are just going to give yourself constant headaches trying to fight plagerism.

Webb
06-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Totally agree Cougar (BTW Ain't seen you in a while, where u been?)

Even if you watermark it, people can simply retype it as well.

CrazyCougar
06-28-2006, 06:58 PM
Its been hectic over the last 2 months since the nice weather set in.

Webb
06-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Its been hectic over the last 2 months since the nice weather set in.

I see :D

I know it's a little off topic. Make sure you sign up for the Tiger tourney again, we're trying to get it off the ground again ;)