PDA

View Full Version : Tom Clancy games - all the same?

daninthemix
01-21-2008, 10:53 PM
I haven't played any of them, but what's the difference between GRAW, GRAW 2, Rainbow 6, Splinter Cell?

Bax x360a
01-21-2008, 10:56 PM
I haven't played any of them, but what's the difference between GRAW, GRAW 2, Rainbow 6, Splinter Cell?
Pretty much just different environments and missions in my opinion. GRAW and Rainbow Six are pretty much the same game; both have got the cover system, easily killed etc... Theres so many similarities between the Tom Clancy games; all are enjoyable though. If you're looking to purchase one I'd personally say go for GRAW2, but many on here prefer Rainbow Six Vegas.

Pez
01-21-2008, 11:02 PM
I agree with Baxta baby on the R6V and GRAW similarities.

Splinter Cell is stealth, R6V is special-ops and GRAW is wars/civil wars.

They all basically play and work in the same way, but it all depends on personal opinion on which you like the best.

For me, I find the Splinter Cell series boring. I'm split between R6V and GRAW. Never played GRAW2.

o0EVIL0o x360a
01-21-2008, 11:07 PM
The Splinter Cell games are vastly different from the others. They're geared towards staying in the dark, and infiltrating to recover information... you're basically a awesome spy dude. Combat is generally frowned upon. There's a decent story in all of them, unlike most war/terrorism type games. Your main tools are a knife and a hacking unit for dealing with security and recovery of files. Alternatively you can just break necks if you can catch the guards unaware.

Vegas is an FPS with a tight cover system. It's mainly geared toward infiltrating with a team and clearing rooms full of terrorists using swat tactics. For example, flashbanging a room and clearing. If a squadmate goes down you can revive him and such. It's heavy on the cover system because it's very easy to die. The story is a little different from the norm because terrorists have taken over Las Vegas. There's some plot twists that are a little uncommon in the FPS department. I guess that's what you get for having a novelist do the stories on all of these games.

GRAW/GRAW2 are military type 3rd person shooters. They also have a cover system that is not as good as Vegas. All the storylines have to do with presidents and footballs (nukes) and you've got a squad you can command in this one too. There are some advanced weapons you'll see like guns that have a tv camera that you can aim while blindfiring (strange huh) and another high powered sniper rifle that you can shoot through thin cover. Also relies heavily on an eyepiece that acts as a heads up display and shows enemy troop and vehicle placement.

They games seem similar on the surface but all play much differently.

Vista
01-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Rainbow Six-Realistic Tactical Shooter. Very strategic game, yet very fun. You move slow and almost 3 bullets can kill you. Recommended for the strategy junkie.

GRAW-Futuristic War Shooter. Not very strategic and canbe casually played. You move fast. Very basic shooter IMO, yet very well done.

Splinter Cell-Fun, Spy type game. You are a spy who can climb, jump and do amazing stunts. You are against the "mercs" who have guns. The basic point is to get data from computers without getting killed. Very fun but gets really repetitive.

IMO Rainbow is the best game.

Raider
01-21-2008, 11:57 PM
GRAW-Futuristic War Shooter. Not very strategic and canbe casually played. You move fast. Very basic shooter IMO, yet very well done.

You have to get more than 200 in either GRAW before you can make a judgment like that. I think GRAW 2 is TOO tactical. Especially the online Co-Op. You have to move at a snails speed and check EVERYWHERE. But I love it. I beat both GRAWs on the hardest setting. They are very tactical and running out of cover is a sure way to get killed. The online you go down in a single shot and can be taken down from miles away if you stick your head out.

GRAW2 is an outstanding game, the campaign is a little easy because you have so many support technologies that make it so easy. Vegas has a hard campaign on realistic. Almost unfair at times. But it has by far the best multiplayer out of any game.

Basically if you are deciding to get one of the Clancy games, they are all very different.

Splinter cell is a stealth game, that is more sneaking around then shooting people.

Vegas is a fast passed tactical shooter which is based around more close quarters battles and fast passed tactical action, think SWAT team and SAS taking out terrorists and saving hostages. The online is outstanding though with character, Armour and weapon customization with a great ranking system meaning you will be playing it for months. Also, in vegas the campaign you have 2 deeply retarded team mates 'assisting' you.

GRAW2 has a very short campaign but is more based on more open military tactics. Taking people out at a distance. Most people you will be killing will be out in the distance. Its also very dramatized, in graw2 you will find yourself calling in air strikes, attack helicopters and blowing the crap out of everything. Even though you are still killed in 2 shots. The team mates in graw2 rule, they can snipe people from a mile away and launch volleys of grenades at the enemies, they can even heal you.

Impulse
01-22-2008, 12:01 AM
I don't really like the style of play in it.. It's too much of sit back and wait for them to come to you, than running in like a bitch and shooting anything that moves.. So i end up coming out with 1 kill and 10 deaths.. It's too slow paced..

But they are all the same.. Well GRAW series and the Vegas ones are.. Splinter cells pretty different in my eyes :uzi:

Vista
01-22-2008, 12:18 AM
You have to get more than 200 in either GRAW before you can make a judgment like that. I think GRAW 2 is TOO tactical. Especially the online Co-Op.

Just because I have less then 200 doesn't mean I don't know about the game. I liked Rainbow Six way more so I let my friends borrow GRAW 2 a week after I get it.

Raider
01-22-2008, 12:29 AM
Yes but you only did the training mission and played a bit online. Finish the co op campaign then tell the op that its very fast and does not involve much tactics. Or to a lesser extent do the campaigns on elevated.

And I agree, vegas is a lot better online, its in fact by far my favorite game online above all.

artvandel4y
01-22-2008, 02:07 AM
Splinter Cell has always been pretty different, it is stealth based and if you're good yo don't use the gun much. GRAW and Rainbow 6 are fairly similar in gameplay, but GRAW is more about roaming the streets, using UAVs and guns that look around corners, and Rainbow 6 is more about squad tactics and kicking down doors. Rainbow 6 has better AI, and on the whole is better. GRAW is more cinematic and accessible.

Raider
01-22-2008, 05:05 AM
Lol, I'm gonna guess you didn't play Vegas on realistic. The 'friendly' AI just got thrown out of retard school just prior to the game because they couldn't keep up to the schools standards. Either that or they were lobotomized. Half the time in the game you have to concentrate on keeping those two 'tards alive, your own life is a secondary concern.

The graw 2 FAI you could give them an objective (kill that guy, heal him/me, blow that up) and they would not only do it but do it well and watch there back when doing it and take out a few enemies on the way.

Asian47
01-22-2008, 05:18 AM
I've only played GRAW, and if you leave cover for too long, your going down. On the hardest difficulty, one shot kill.

If you had to choose, I would say get GRAW 2. I can't pass judgement on R6:V since I've never played it. Also, if you love to max out games, don't get the first GRAW. You have to get to the top of 2 Leaderboards to max this game out.... :(

Raider
01-22-2008, 05:32 AM
I've only played GRAW, and if you leave cover for too long, your going down. On the hardest difficulty, one shot kill.

If you had to choose, I would say get GRAW 2. I can't pass judgement on R6:V since I've never played it. Also, if you love to max out games, don't get the first GRAW. You have to get to the top of 2 Leaderboards to max this game out.... :(

I have GRAW2 and vegas maxed out. Not GRAW as you have to put like 1000 hours of boosting in to it to get the 1k. And no 1k splinter cell as it was just a rental. But anyway to the OP, if you really want a great game to buy, with a Clancy game you are going to get an excellent, fun, detailed and well made tactical game that your not going to get from the likes of halo. And besides what the others say a very unique game. Splinter cell is about stealth and GRAW is open warfare where as Rainbow is special opps and plays VERY different from GRAW.

Splinter cell has a pants online mode though. Vegas is more fast passed and objective based. Graw has a much more slower passed online CoOp and versus mode that is only really played by online masters now so it is hard to get in to.

gatorbait
01-22-2008, 05:33 AM
I haven't played Rainbow Six yet but it's a similar game to GRAW, both are tactical shooters and rely on your squad. Same premise in both games. Splinter Cell you're pretty much just playing the story in a stealth manner. The games are just like his books, they all revolve around the same idea.

PerpetualHeaven
01-22-2008, 05:53 AM
GRAW is third person (over shoulder) warfare video game as opposed to Vegas, which is a first person tactical game. Two totally different games.

My favourite is probably Splinter Cell out of the Clancy series. It's kind of like a western Metal Gear Solid. We have very few stealth games and Splinter Cell is a great game. I own the game and it's a lot of fun. It's a nice branch from the constant running around and shooting everything in sight.

Raider
01-22-2008, 05:57 AM
I loved chaos theory, it was by far the best splinter cell. The new one had a totally different type of stealth (it was to bright).

And gator bait, trust me, the play style is totally different. Don't assume it is if you haven't played rainbow 6, there both realistic (to an extent) shooters, but the games are totally different. I played vegas for months and then got GRAW2 and it was a toatally new and different type of game. Its like comparing FEAR to stranglehold. Both games you can slow down time, but are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. VGA o0EVIL0o's post sums it up quite well.

daninthemix
01-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Thanks guys. I'm going to play GRAW2 and Rainbow 6 I think. Out of interest, if I want to max out these games do I need to spends hundreds of hours online?

o0EVIL0o x360a
01-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Vegas will take you a long time to get the Elite achievement, but you can do it by yourself doing Terrorist Hunts against the CPU. You can choose to have friends join you if you want, or you can just go and do standard multiplayer matches to get your rank up. Master of Ceremonies can be quite painful to get unless you have 16 friends who have the game, or you can try to set one up here on the forums. The game is starting to age so that will probably be more difficult. I've also heard that playing all the maps on all the gametypes can be glitchy since the new update but I didn't have any problems about 8 months back. Lastly, the story is quite difficult on "Realistic"

GRAW2 has no really time consuming achievements. If you have a boosting partner, you can create extra free gold accounts to get all the other MP achievements that require 5-6 gamertags because you can have 4 players splitscreen on the same xbox. The game is downright easy even on the highest difficulty.

Raider
01-22-2008, 11:55 PM
To get to elite online took me a month to get from officer rank. But I was playing 10-15 hours a day every day. To gain experience you have to be playing online, but you can do it in co op. High density realistic terrorist hunts are the best. At the dante's map you can get 600 exp in under 2 minutes. but thats if you really know what you are doing and have 3 other equally skilled guys. I am part of a very competitive vegas clan so I play with some real beasts. Most people online still aren't elites. Most are not even officers. But getting to elite so early was worth it. I would join a room and get a tone of friend requests. Some times the host wouldn't launch the game unless I joined there team lol.

King James 23
01-23-2008, 02:25 AM
I enjoy playing Splinter Cell because you use more stealth and has more decision making, IMO.

Blackjaw x
01-23-2008, 03:16 AM
Here's my zero cents.
I would have two cents, but I give them to my Asian friend Sydney after lunch every day because it's a lot of money to them. It's funny because she actually accepts it.

The difference between Rainbow Six and GRAW are mainly the environments. Rainbow Six is indoors while GRAW is outdoors. There must be some other factors that made me love Rainbow Six and find myself detesting GRAW. Better multiplayer is one, customization is another. Rainbow Six is more fast paced, less frustrating, has better team AI who can work on their own and the cover system is much better. One thing I like is the regenerating health that GRAW doesn't have. The crosshairs and HUD of GRAW are also very ugly.

Splinter Cell is a different game series entirely. It's pure stealth... stick in the shadows, don't shoot (I've never fired a bullet in any game in the series, though my friend goes nuts), be patient and badass.

Read some reviews, watch some videos or rent them! (Buy all but GRAW)

Augustus
01-23-2008, 03:19 AM
Well, the titles are different. A little bit. Otherwise the characters/strategy/environments/graphics/overall lack of quality are all recurring themes.

antnie
01-23-2008, 03:22 AM
It seems like it is just different areas and different weapons, and most of them sort of suck.

PerpetualHeaven
01-23-2008, 05:54 PM
From what I understand, GRAW 2 has the easiest achievements out of the three, then Splinter Cell, then Rainbow 6 Vegas in last.

Also, GRAW 2 and Vegas are nothing a like. I stated this before and I'll say it again for people who say the only difference is environments or whatever. The entire style of play is different. It feels so different switching from GRAW2 into Vegas. One is warfare and the other is tactical.

It's like saying Gears of War and Halo 3 are quite similar. They aren't. There's a fine line between 3rd person and 1st. Ditto with the mechanics.

o0EVIL0o x360a
01-23-2008, 10:40 PM
Well all his questions have been answered sufficiently.

Now I must say... that avatar scares me a little Perpetual. I don't really know why, but it does. lol

PerpetualHeaven
01-23-2008, 10:46 PM
ITS BUZZ! How can he be scary? Look at his cunning and delightful smile. lol anyways, shutting her down since the question was answered.