PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero Reaches 1 BILLION dollars...

Netnabi4
01-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Activision, which already announced that it was the top publisher in 2007 (http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/npd-results-crown-activision-no-1/19123/?biz=) in large part thanks to Guitar Hero, today announced that its popular music game franchise has set an industry record by breaking $1 billion in North American retail sales in just 26 months (according to data from The NPD Group). Since the Guitar Hero franchise debuted in fall 2005, it has sold over 14 million units in North America alone.
Furthermore, Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock was the number one video game in units and dollars for calendar year 2007, "making it the #1 best-selling video game of all time in a single calendar year," Activision boasted. Activision has also benefited from ancillary revenue, as gamers have downloaded more than five million songs in the 10 weeks since the game's launch. MTV Games recently said that the competing Rock Band has seen 2.5 million song downloads (http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/rock-band-downloads-top-25-million/19126/?biz=).
"Guitar Hero is one of the biggest brands and one of the most powerful distribution platforms in all of entertainment today," said Michael Griffith, President and Chief Executive Officer, Activision Publishing, Inc. "Guitar Hero's popularity with broad audiences is a confirmation that video games have become a true mass medium."

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/activision-rocks-1-billion-in-guitar-hero-north-american-revenues/19140/?biz=1

^^ Theres the link^^

I personally find this to be a great feet & the GH series is definitively one of the best gaming series out there so they deserve it. Any other thoughts?

she haunts me
01-22-2008, 11:57 AM
It was great until number 3. Rock Band is better IMO.

Tatanko
01-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I was more of a fan of 1 and 2. Most of my friends have Rock Band, so it's what I play as well.

PerpetualHeaven
01-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Guitar Hero 3 was the first I played out of the series. I have my likes and dislikes about both GH2 and GH3. Honestly, I equally love them. GH3 has a lot more popular music that EVERYONE knows. It definitely fits the masses. GH2 has some of those songs where only the hardcore have heard. I personally haven't heard hardly any of them. Incredible soundtrack.

In terms of visual comfort, I give GH3 the nod. The hammer-ons and pull-offs are much more noticeable. It feels much darker and harder to notice anything on GH2. It's a lot easier though.

Anyways, they're both incredible games and congratulations to them for hitting that mark. That's one hell of a feat.

Bax x360a
01-22-2008, 03:34 PM
I really enjoy both games, but GH2 pips it for me. The songs just seem to be far better, with classics like Sweet Child O Mine and Message in a Bottle. Theres far to many bad songs on GH3. Surely 1 Billion dollars must be some sort of record? Has the Halo franchise even earnt that?

INSANEKID13
01-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Good For Gh3 But Rock Band Is Just A Little Bit Better I Think... But I Play Both Of Them

danjohnson58
01-22-2008, 04:00 PM
well here in the UK we're still waiting for Rock Band, so its GH2 & 3 or nothing.
I'm not surprised by the sales, its an amazing game, for everyone, sure people moan about tracks etc but you can't please everyone.

Maka
01-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Rock Band is doing a way better job in replayability. New songs come out every week for an affordable price. While Guitar Hero has a pack a month, for $3.50 a song. Guitar Hero is winning because of price, and Rock Band isnt very mainstream yet, but it will be bigger and better is the price can go down, and more features become available.

RogueVasion
01-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Good For Gh3 But Rock Band Is Just A Little Bit Better I Think... But I Play Both Of Them

Yes GH3 is a great game, but Rock Band is so superior. I like how Rock Band has most of the original artists singing the songs, unlike parts of GH.

Dragonfire 360
01-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Rock Band is better than Guitar Hero 3.

I still love both though. ;)

Congrats to Activision/Red Octane.

Sooooo... Now that you're billionaires... how about some decent DLC? :p

jaycarrell
01-22-2008, 06:16 PM
that's an insane amount of money! I was thinking about getting it since it would probably be fun to play with my girl

infradude
01-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Way to go Guitar Hero guys, big accomplishment. Now I'm going to go back to play rockband. And I agree with maka, rock band has been doing pretty nasty and it hasn't even been close to how long guitar hero has been out for.

killlah631
01-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Such an amazing accomplishment...a billion dollars really is an insane feat...Many companies make tons of millions, but this is the first I've seen reported to reach a billion...

Netnabi4
01-22-2008, 11:01 PM
I agree with most of you guys that Rock Band has many more pros then cons compared to Guitar hero but the thing is While the Rockband note charts are easier the timing window i find is much smaller. Maybe its just me but I find It's harder to fc on Rockband then on GH. Now the note charts were easy just like in GH1 and the small window was also in GH1 but if they keep the small window on rockband and move up the difficulty on 2 or 3 were screwed. Maybe I just like circles better than rectangles.

aussie_warrior117
01-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Has the Halo franchise even earnt that?
They reached that with Halo 2 alone :p

TR Theory
01-22-2008, 11:31 PM
Hey good for Activision now Harmonix how about releasing Rock Band for us so you can catch up *places fist in the air angrily*

megadeth12691
01-22-2008, 11:37 PM
Good for Activision!!

gatorbait
01-23-2008, 01:30 AM
That's awesome to hear! I'm sure most companies are worried about putting out a game that requires more then the average retail price and additional equipment. It's great to see how GH has really taken off. I've only had it for almost a month now and it is very addicting. I still need to get 3 but played the demo and just looking at some of the songs that game has really has me amped to get it soon.

DoM cAbAn
01-23-2008, 01:38 AM
Damn, that's some feat they've accomplished. They deserve it, being as the Guitar Hero games are very enjoyable to play.

CORPSE CRISIS
01-23-2008, 01:44 AM
Im not really a fan of Gh2 and 3 but thats pretty amaizing

Chrome30
01-23-2008, 01:51 AM
My hats off to Activision for taking mass amounts of time from me. Gratz!! Keep those downloads coming.

run ita charlie
01-23-2008, 02:26 AM
I will soon be one of the people that contributes to those sales profits :$ just as soon as i get money from my mom :(

Fly
01-23-2008, 07:19 AM
lol, that 1 BILLION dollars in the thread name made me smile...now I wanna watch Austin Powers again. Anyways, good thing it's selling, might buy it myself when I got enough cash.

DeadBbyMlkShake
02-07-2008, 08:31 AM
That's good to hear for Activision. Theres definatly no doubt that they deserve it. I enjoyed GH2 better then 3. GH3 didn't have that great of a soundtrack.

Moshambi
02-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Sooooo... Now that you're billionaires... how about some decent DLC? :p

haha thats exactly what i was thinking lol. but dam 1 billion dollars is a lot...in such a short span of the GH series. but hell ya those guys earned it