PDA

View Full Version : Is Achievement 'boosting' morally wrong?

XxArmeddyxX
01-25-2008, 02:58 AM
Hey guys, just a little topic to think about.

Achievement 'boosting' is a commom part of Xbox Live now (Boosting is where a party of people join together purely for the purpose of collecting achievements, as opposed to actual gaming eg: In a Gears of War match, one side lets the other side win an entire match in a hope to achieve any one of the '100 kill achievement'.)

My question is: Doesn't this defeat the purpose of gaming in general? Since Achievements are actually supposed to be achievements, does engaging in this cheapen them? Personally, i am against any boosting similar to the above example but what do you guys reckon? Is there any situation where 'boosting' is acceptable? :confused:

HoodMod
01-25-2008, 03:01 AM
Well I think it's very necessary when some achievements just ask for too much coincidence in an online match - some are impossible without boosting. But sometimes I'd side with you...I did Halo 3 legit, but honestly, if I can't get the achievement legit, I boost. I mean you still have to play the game, so it isn't comparable to gamesaving the achievement.

Andrew14man
01-25-2008, 03:01 AM
been discussed a million times before.

if u don't want to do it, don't

J eVeRy DaY 514
01-25-2008, 03:03 AM
well of course, it all depends on your opinion.
personally, i regret ever boosting, because i do believe it does defeat the purpose of achievements.
but, since i've done it, and there's nothing i can do about it, i will continue to do it.
at least i'm not a hacker/gamesaver =)

HoodMod
01-25-2008, 03:03 AM
I agree w/ Andrew.

XxArmeddyxX
01-25-2008, 03:04 AM
been discussed a million times before.

if u don't want to do it, don't

I kinda figured it would have been, but i'm not kicking up a big song and dance about it, im just genuinely curious to what other people reckon.

synister EFFECT
01-25-2008, 03:05 AM
Is there any situation where 'boosting' is acceptable? :confused:

There is definitely some situations to boost, like that one language on Halo3 is used primarily for boosting. Also, people who are boosting usually take up the whole game. If the don't they aren't really that annoying IMO. On gears of war, the people who boost can make the game longer to get more kills, which in turn helps you get more kills also.

Cause
01-25-2008, 04:22 AM
I think achievement boosting is fine. I understand why people are kinda against it because its kinda like cheating but some games you have no choice. Like most people wont get a achievement for get 10 wins in a row in a certain game.

XxArmeddyxX
01-25-2008, 04:26 AM
I think achievement boosting is fine. I understand why people are kinda against it because its kinda like cheating but some games you have no choice. Like most people wont get a achievement for get 10 wins in a row in a certain game.

Yeah, i get ya. I've kinda got the general vibe that most people usually don't do it, but sometimes when it's definitely needed. Of course, this is completely different to all that crap (can i say that on this forum? lol) about gamesaves and glitches, thats just using a cheat code

MrDudeMan
01-25-2008, 04:29 AM
I'm against achievement boosting. I like to work for my achievements, and I don't think allowing someone to stand there and take it, just so you can get an achievements is good. ACHIEVE, DAMN IT.

gatorbait
01-25-2008, 04:44 AM
I boosted a long time ago only about once or twice for what would seriously be considered boosting. I don't mind setting up something on the forum or a friend to get achievements through simply just playing the game just to obtain certain achievements. I just don't see the point in wasting hours to exchange kills merely for a few points. I just see time better well spent in many of those cases.

It does defeat the purpose of the achievement because you may meet the requirements but I don't see any achievement involved. It simply depends on the type of achievement on whether I'd 'boost' for it or not. It can also ruin a game though when you have people who will ruin the experience for others by simply just trying to pickup achievements or booting you if you don't want to boost. But if someone wants to waste hours for a few more points on a game then I don't see the problem, they obviously see some enjoyment coming out of it.

Digilearner
01-25-2008, 04:45 AM
Well, nearly half my games I don't have completes since no one plays online (aka, full auto, import tuner, hour of victory, def jam icon, wartech, monster madness, TDU [just finished that], and so on).

So lets ask this. Is it fair for a company to make online achievements that aren't possible to get since no one plays????

DoM cAbAn
01-25-2008, 04:47 AM
I don't mind boosting. Even though I don't do it, some people just can't get the Achievements by themselves. Some can be harder and take longer to get, so they just want to shorten the amount of time it takes to get the Achievement.

XxArmeddyxX
01-25-2008, 04:48 AM
So lets ask this. Is it fair for a company to make online achievements that aren't possible to get since no one plays????

Well thats a big problem with some of the games, for example, Shadowrun. Since its an online multiplayer game, all the achievements must be done on XBL but they're closing the servers so it's become impossible to complete

Digilearner
01-25-2008, 04:52 AM
Exactly my point. If they made achievements actually possible and not glitch them or make stupid ones that people can't get, then boosting wouldn't be necessary. I was boosting today in Wartech and Full Auto. If you go on wartech and search for a match, you find NOTHING! How do I get 1000 matches played if I can't find one damn match. How do I do 100 races in Import if no one is online? They need to make a system where this doesn't happen, but that's nearly impossible. So boosting is ok, since you are putting time into the achievement unlike gamesaving, you just don't even need to play the game.

XxArmeddyxX
01-25-2008, 04:55 AM
So boosting is ok, since you are putting time into the achievement unlike gamesaving, you just don't even need to play the game.

Yeah, i think everyone can agree that gamesaving has no place on Xbox.

Jdm
01-25-2008, 04:57 AM
I'm going to Lock this down as soon as I put in my .02 Cents. The reason for this thread being Locked is because of the following:

1. It has been discussed before.
2. I want to prevent the arguments from starting.
3. We're an Xbox 360 Site that holds discussion for Unlocking Achievements with the help of "Achievement Trading" a.k.a. Boosting.

"Boosting" is NOT for everyone. I personally don't see a problem with "Boosting" for Achievements. So long as they're organized and it does NOT interrupt or affect other Non-Boosting Players in the game. Some people like to do it the "Natural" way and that is fine as well. Boosting and Gamesaving should NOT be compared. There is a fine line there and I'm sure you're all familiar with the differences. So with that being said...*click*

PM me if you have any questions regarding this Topic. Thanks!

IVIGAM3RIVI
12-17-2008, 07:47 PM
I'm going to keep this brief because no one likes to read deep winded 4 hour threads. I just want to know how people feel about boosting for Achievement points. Personally,I don't do it because for me the fun is doing whatever it is the achievement ask for even if its time consuming. In the end tho as dumb as it my sound that little Ping noise is a great noise after all the grinding or what have you.

So how do you feel about it????

and by the way i have NOTHING against anyone who does!