PDA

View Full Version : Game Ratings

Otisbum
01-28-2008, 01:38 AM
I've seen plenty of people talking about how they disagree completely with a review's rating, and I was thinking that a user rating feature for all the games should be implemented so that the average rating would be shown on a game's page.

For simplicity's sake, it could be on a scale of 1-10.

The Pants Party
01-28-2008, 01:41 AM
Been asked, been discussed... Hopefully we can find an impartial way of doing this, but once again, a rating system is completely susceptible to douchebags giving everything 1* simply because they feel like it.

Impulse
01-28-2008, 01:44 AM
Been asked, been discussed... Hopefully we can find an impartial way of doing this, but once again, a rating system is completely susceptible to douchebags giving everything 1* simply because they feel like it.

What about only been able to add a rating if you have so many posts..

Or could you not have a rating history, so you could see what memebers where rating games and see if there was any abusing of the system?

Otisbum
01-28-2008, 01:44 AM
True. But I'm sure 49,000 users outweigh the ~1k douchebags.

@Impulse: I'm sure they'd have no problem having that feature, it's the policing of the ratings that is the problem.
EDIT: And adding a feature then making it limited to a certain amount of people kind of defeats the purpose of adding it in the first place. Needing to be logged in should be the only requirement for it.

Minty
01-28-2008, 12:09 PM
We have something up our sleeves ;)

Odiumruse
01-28-2008, 12:29 PM
You always have something up your sleeve. ;o (Apart from arms obviously.)

Bax x360a
01-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Not sure if its a good idea personally. If you have someone who didn't like Halo its likely they'd give it a 1/10, whereas its obviously worth more than a 1/10... Just stupid things like that would lower its score and not give it a fair chance.

Odiumruse
01-28-2008, 01:40 PM
There's a thread "top 5 worst games" and games like halo 3 were mentioned by people who didn't like it. So that could actually be a good point.

This is good, if you can combat the stupid votes.

Moshambi
01-28-2008, 03:06 PM
i think that would be a good idea to implement...kinda like the one on gamefly. because when i see what an average user rating is ill still try to find out more about the game just to make sure its not because of people just giving it a low score to be stupid. you just gotta do your research.

Webb
01-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Not sure if its a good idea personally. If you have someone who didn't like Halo its likely they'd give it a 1/10, whereas its obviously worth more than a 1/10... Just stupid things like that would lower its score and not give it a fair chance.

Like Otisbum said though, that the majority of people will vote on a game truly to what they believe and the results will be quite accurate ;)

highpass
01-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Not exactly accurate though surely... in example:-

Fallout 3 releases and is the best thing since ribbed condoms
Everyone in their right mind votes it 10/10
All the muppets give it 1/10
Fallout never receives the 100% it deserves, but a 9.999. Treason!

Unless you've some sort of magic robot trick up your sleeve that'll take the muppet factor into account?

Odiumruse
01-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Minty has something up his sleeve as usual.

Webb
01-28-2008, 03:36 PM
You can't account for that though and Fallout 3 will never get a 10 :eek:

With any game, everyone has their own opinion, some will be higher and some will be lower, but the overall outcome will be an average result. The more that vote, the more accurate the results. But I think it would be rude of us to ignore a feature on the site that will be beneficial on the whole because of the muppets that frequent certain watering holes on the internet ;)

vhayste
01-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Well, to combat this, I suggest having a user meet a certain number of posts or membership period before they can vote. That way, we can be sure that at least, the votes are really the opinion of the gamers; and not just some douche bags trying to upset the balance.

That's just my opinion though. :)

highpass
01-28-2008, 03:46 PM
I stopped reading after you said something like "Fallout wont get a 10"...

...nah joking aside i wasn't questioning the feature, it's well worth having whatever the weather, just the nob jockey factor. All good.

vhayste check your PMs :).

Moshambi
01-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Well, to combat this, I suggest having a user meet a certain number of posts or membership period before they can vote. That way, we can be sure that at least, the votes are really the opinion of the gamers; and not just some douche bags trying to upset the balance.

That's just my opinion though. :)

i dont agree with this because i have been a member for a long time now and i still cant even get on the leaderboards because of a feature like that. i think that it should be open to anyone who logs in.

Bax x360a
01-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Hmmm, I'm still worried that members from rival sites would just spam the "1" option all the time unless there was a post count limit.

Webb
01-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Seriously though Bax, we're all mature people and I think of us as having no rivals, we just do what we do to the best of our ability and if we concentrate on ourselves, we'll do fine.

PerpetualHeaven
01-28-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm sure they'll make it the kind of poll where you can only vote once. And think about it like this Bax. If they want to spam our polls, that means they'll have to create new accounts. That means more registered members for us. Oops! They just made it all better for us :)

Besides, Highpass basically said what I was going to say. Mathematically, it will even out. There will be way more people rating Halo 3 higher then people lower. If they give it a one that's fine. I'm sure there'll be plenty of 10s,9s, and 8s going around.

vhayste
01-28-2008, 04:44 PM
i dont agree with this because i have been a member for a long time now and i still cant even get on the leaderboards because of a feature like that. i think that it should be open to anyone who logs in.

Well, that is the idea. Meeting the requirements basically show how someone is nvolved in the community and not just passing by and appear only if he/she needs something. Furthermore, if everybody can freely rate games just like in the other sites, the game may not be rated fairly as mentioned above.

Otisbum
01-28-2008, 09:47 PM
A monthly check by any mod could solve that, if they notice a certain user gives an average rating of less than 3, something will seem fishy. Besides, like everyone said who agreed with what I said, it will even out. Sure a few obscure games will have less votes and be less accurate, but stuff like that happens and can be fixed easily if someone is known to give out low votes too much.

It's like on a music review site I visit every now and then. If the mods notice that someone is spamming rates on albums, they'll look into it, especially if it's a member with a very low post count and a recent join date.

This isn't a feature that would just involve putting up the code on the website and leaving it be, semi-frequent checkups would definately be necessary to make sure everything's going fine, but all features require some sort of moderation in order to be successful. ;)

I fully support letting all members have the right to rate, like I said earlier, restricting it would be worse than not having it at all.

Minty
01-28-2008, 09:50 PM
You have to think about Halo fanboys in the equation as well....

If Halo released an average game, the average person would vote 5. Fanboys would vote 10. Minty would vote 1. Therefore it all works out. Simple.

Plus there will still be the review as well...

Otisbum
01-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Technically Minty > all Halo fanboys, so the rating would be skewed much lower than the general consensus anyway. Even all the 5s in the world wouldn't be able to save it at that point. :p

AlphaXGamerXDad
01-29-2008, 06:45 AM
You have to think about Halo fanboys in the equation as well....

If Halo released an average game, the average person would vote 5. Fanboys would vote 10. Minty would vote 1. Therefore it all works out. Simple.

Plus there will still be the review as well...

This sums it all up. Now matter what safeguards you put in place, when you ask people their opinions, you're going to get widely varying answers. Plus, the monster huge games that people love to hate(Halo,etc) will pretty much hold their own without a ranking. I think this idea is great and I hope to be rating games soon. Just a thought: You could always add the scores we give games directly to our profiles, so everyone can see what we think.

vhayste
01-29-2008, 07:01 AM
Great idea! A list of all games the members rated that other members can see when viewing their profiles is one possible way of doing this.

Odiumruse
01-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Couldn't you do it where you could see how many of what vote the game had.
So you could see it had been voted 7/8 40 times. And 1 5 times. You'd know not to pay attention to the 1 as well...It's obviously just idiots messing around.

x CHANDMAN x
01-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Well if your worried about games getting 1's I wouldn't. Thats just natural and what is more important in such matters is getting a good sample of votes. The averages will figure out in the long run. I'm sure there will be people giving 10's as well.

And the point of polling is hoping you get enough votes that the minority won't affect the results.

I hope that makes sense.