PDA

View Full Version : Contest Donation

Tussell
01-29-2008, 03:40 AM
I was recently thinking about this, due to the fact that I recieved four awards in a short period of time. :p

Anywho, to the idea. I thought that it would be cool if people donated items to be given away in contests, they could get an award for it.

Sanction
01-29-2008, 03:42 AM
Yeah, I have a few games that I don't play anymore...I have 2 Mass Effects' as well. :p

Marx0r
01-29-2008, 03:42 AM
We have the cash donation awards already...

The Pants Party
01-29-2008, 04:13 AM
We have the cash donation awards already...

So? He's not a moron, he's suggesting a new award regarding something completely different. Money /= Physical Game. Money goes to site costs, games would go to contests for people. We don't use donated money to buy shit for contests, those are all given to us.

I think it could probably work, but I don't think we would want to give away used stuff. I'll leave it up to the admins, but if people want to buy a new game to use it could work.

Tussell
01-29-2008, 04:18 AM
Wouldn't be used items.
Would need to be new items.

(NEW retail games, arcade codes, NEW game related items, promotional items)

HoodMod
01-29-2008, 04:25 AM
I think arcade codes and also point codes could work really good - really easy to get and send out to any member across the globe and also cheaper then a new retail game.

Jdm
01-29-2008, 06:06 AM
Wouldn't be used items.
Would need to be new items.

(NEW retail games, arcade codes, NEW game related items, promotional items)

^^^For sure it'll have to be New.

I have various "hook ups" where I'll either get a Discount or get shit for free. Holla at yo' boy!;)

Scotian Bred
01-29-2008, 06:44 AM
I actually held a contest of sorts when I had an UNO code .. although I didn't bug the heck out of the Admins to take it and use it themselves even though it was just an UNO code I did get the go ahead to give it to one lucky member of the site which I did .. find the post/contest of yours truely HERE (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42191) .. it was fun to give something away .. I also like the idea of maybe donating more then just money. Site awards wil make people do funny things ! lol

Minty
01-29-2008, 07:57 AM
The problem is, unless we have it in one of the staff's hands, we dont consider it ours. o anything people want to give away would have to be both brand new and in the hands of a staff member. And then it would be added into the vault to be given away as and when needed.

Plus, how many people would send a copy of King Kong thats costs like $0.0001 and be expecting an award??

Krazie
01-29-2008, 08:11 AM
I like the idea, and of course, wouldnt be a problem to give an award as well. All items would have to be new, of course, and maybe we could make exceptions as to what the item can be (obviously we don't want to give away copies of NBA 2K6, or as Minty mentioned, King Kong)..

Jdm
01-29-2008, 08:56 AM
I'm with the Bosses here.

Who would like my new copy of NBA Live 07? Btw, it's NTSC-J.:p Seriously, it would have to be a decent game and not like the games EGM(gaming magazine) hands out to the writer of their Letter of the Month. Most if not all the games they send out are just plain HORRIBLE.

Maybe the Award should be capped off by a limit. Say we have a limit on how much you Donate. 10, 25, 50 and so fourth on Xbox 360 related items.

Marx0r
01-29-2008, 07:17 PM
So? He's not a moron, he's suggesting a new award regarding something completely different. Money /= Physical Game. Money goes to site costs, games would go to contests for people. We don't use donated money to buy shit for contests, those are all given to us.

I think it could probably work, but I don't think we would want to give away used stuff. I'll leave it up to the admins, but if people want to buy a new game to use it could work.

What I meant was the cash value of the game could be added to the donation award.

Minty
01-29-2008, 07:54 PM
But the site doesnt get the value of the game :p

ThunderStorm101
01-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Also if its a game you have to think about the Regions, No point giving a PAL game to someone in the states

,T/S101

Tussell
01-29-2008, 08:26 PM
No... You would just give it to the admins for the contest prize box if you will, and they would give them out to the correct people. If it's a US contest they would recieve the correct region. It's like that right now anyways.

narcolepticshee
01-29-2008, 09:04 PM
I've given 4 arcade codes so far. Think it's a good idea :)

Peace

ThunderStorm101
01-29-2008, 09:48 PM
No... You would just give it to the admins for the contest prize box if you will, and they would give them out to the correct people. If it's a US contest they would recieve the correct region. It's like that right now anyways.

Thats what i ment anyway :p

Just needs the control of any amount from one region, abit unfare if 98% of donations come from one place

,T/S101

Tussell
01-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Hey, 98% NTSC donations is better than no donations.

Plus you could always donate point cards for arcade games.

I was thinking it could be like how achievement pictures are.

1 Item = Award
5 Items = Different Award
10+ Items = Different Award

Because they cost money though, multiple items of the same thing would count towards the next award. Example : 1 Microsoft Point Card = first forum award. 5 Microsoft Point Cards = next forum award. Etc...

Bax x360a
01-29-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm going to put a bit of input here. If i was going to spend money, I would much rather just donate £18 to the site to help the running of the new server and other ideas we have, instead of buy a Microsoft Point Code...

Tussell
01-30-2008, 03:46 AM
In my case I've already done that, and wouldn't mind showing my support by giving others a prize in a contest.

If it doesn't work out, I don't mind throwing in more money, donation-wise.

Sanction
01-30-2008, 03:53 AM
While we're on the topic of contests...have the winners been determined for the 500k / 50k one.

I really hope my idea of achievement guides gets picked! :D ;)

Marx0r
01-30-2008, 03:56 AM
The winners are soon to come. They have something up their sleeves. Don't worry about it.

Don't you learn anything?

Krazie
01-30-2008, 04:01 AM
Thats what i ment anyway :p

Just needs the control of any amount from one region, abit unfare if 98% of donations come from one place

,T/S101

Nobody says Europeans cant donate, so if 98% of the donations did come from Americans, then I'd say you Europeans dont care very much anyway, lol :p

Sanction
01-30-2008, 04:03 AM
The winners are soon to come. They have something up their sleeves. Don't worry about it.

Don't you learn anything?

But if I don't know soon I'll lose sleep over it, get bad grades, fail out of school, go back for my GED, get married, have 4 kids, stuggle to support my family, and live a boring and debt filled life.

Do you think Minty wants that on his conscience?

ThunderStorm101
01-30-2008, 04:07 PM
Nobody says Europeans cant donate, so if 98% of the donations did come from Americans, then I'd say you Europeans dont care very much anyway, lol :p

lol, i didnt say anything about americans

the word i used was "a region" that could well me africa lol

:p

Bax x360a
01-30-2008, 06:53 PM
But if I don't know soon I'll lose sleep over it, get bad grades, fail out of school, go back for my GED, get married, have 4 kids, stuggle to support my family, and live a boring and debt filled life.

Do you think Minty wants that on his conscience?
Sounds like the life of the average man.

Tussell
01-31-2008, 03:40 AM
Well before this thread goes any more off-topic. What do people think? You think it will work? I wouldn't mind spending some money and throwing some stuff in for a contest or two.