PDA

View Full Version : Bioshock or Mass Effect?

fletcher2989
02-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Hey guys, I'm stuck between getting Bioshock or Mass Effect...In the end, I will probably get both, but for right now it's either one or the other. Which do you think is the best one? thanks:drunk

vhayste
02-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Hmnn.. that's a hard choice...

But since you will definitely get them both sooner or later, I suggest go for Mass Effect. It has greater replay value.

bxbomber
02-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Hey guys, I'm stuck between getting Bioshock or Mass Effect...In the end, I will probably get both, but for right now it's either one or the other. Which do you think is the best one? thanks:drunk

Only reason to take BioShock is because the type of FPS it is. Using plasmids/tonics to fight is awesome.

That I believe is the only way you can distinguish, as both games are amazing.

Tai_MT
02-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Bioshock and all its achievements can be knocked out in a single playthrough.

Mass Effect takes a minimum of THREE playthroughs.

Mass Effect has greater replay value (for the most part... once you reach your level sixty... there's no point in playing on that file anymore, and you should start a new char to get some of the other achievements). It also takes a lot longer to beat, if you do every sidequest available.

I'll warn you now that sometime during your second or third playthrough, the game gets boring. And you'll find yourself playing simply for the sake of the rest of your achievements.

Bioshock however... Well, it's a lot of fun, IMHO. Worth another playthrough? That really just depends. Depends on if you want to go through it again and do things differently (change difficulty or harvest little sisters instead of rescue them, etcetera ad naseum).

The story for both games is pretty epic...

If it'll be a while before you have money to get the other of the two games, I suggest Mass Effect first. It will take you longer to get the Achievements and so you'll be busy for quite a while with it. If it won't take long to get the other game, get Bioshock first. twenty-five hours max and you're done with Bioshock and all the Achievements and then you can go to Mass Effect.

I honestly think they're both great...

I put off getting Bioshock for the longest time and didn't get it until after I'd played and beaten Mass Effect. I've still yet to get a large number of my Achievements in Mass Effect... But I'll be going back to that after I slaughter Bioshock.

monkeyman1988
02-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Both are great games...

Bioshock is more polished and has a few less framerate and gameplay hitches.

Both are extremely long for their genres

Bioshock can give you about 20 hours of gameplay the first time through (if you try to get all the audio logs and really investigate the story of the game)

and Mass effect can give you around 37 if you play alot of the side quests and missions.

i did a bioshock video review on youtube... but i cant post it here cause posting youtube videos is considered an infraction.

CrazyenigmaJ
02-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Bioshock isn't very long... go with mass effect especially if you have had good experiences with biowares previous games.

Daggermn
02-01-2008, 10:19 PM
I own both games and have played Bioshock through and got the full 1000g before they added the new achivement. I have not played Mass Effect yet, but I do no what kind of game it is and I know what to expect. Both of these game are very different from eachother. Although they are both very good games and worth buying, it is like comparing apples to oranges.

Bioshock is a FPS with a very indepth story and it kind of plays like a metroid Prime game where you have to explore certain areas and get certain items in order to move on. Mass Effect is an RPG that is set in space. You do have guns, but it is not a shooter game, it is deffinately an RPG. As you can expect from an RPG, it will take a long time to beat and you will get your money's worth out of the time you spend on it.

By all means, get both games if you can. If you think that you will have the money for the second game in a couple of weeks, then buy Bioshock first and get all the achivements, then go out and get Mass Effect. If you are not going to have enough money for the second game for while, then get Mass Effect as you will get your money's worth in the time it takes to beat it.

sushininja
02-02-2008, 09:16 AM
I have both games. Just finished bioshock last week, had to play it through twice cos the first time I played it on easy. I've only done one playthrough on Mass Effect, and have about 510gs of the full 1000.

Mass Effect is more time consuming, and obviously you'll need to like RPG's to have fun. But keep in mind it is also a shooter.

Bioshock is just straight up fun, however I'm not sure if you'll pick it up once you're done. It just depends on if you like to go back and play the games.

All in all, I'd get ME first, jut because it's play time is longer, but you really need to have both.

foster0130
02-14-2008, 03:44 AM
i might be the only one but i hated bioshock with a passion and i loved mass effect so id go with mass effect

killerharu45
02-14-2008, 05:31 AM
Bioshock was amazing, but I traded it in within two weeks because I got all the achievements and wouldn't play it again. If you know anyone with it, then just borrow it from them or rent it.

I would go Mass Effect because it is awesome and will take a lot of time to complete

antnie
02-14-2008, 05:37 AM
I would get bioshock and wait for mass effect to drop in price.

TheWings977
02-14-2008, 05:40 AM
Mass Effect no questions asked, Bioshock seemed to simple for me and others.

Tatanko
02-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Definitely Mass Effect. I've played it 5 times through and it's still fun. BioShock on the other hand; great story but I have no desire to ever play it again.